Do Rocks Have Soul ?

Hare Krishna To All Devotees !!

All Glories To Krishna And His Devotees ,

I heard at many places that people were converted into rock .

Also heard that Rock is also a YONI ( " A Life ") , so if it is yoni ,

it must have soul , but we know rock is non-living .

also Shaligram is worshipped as form of Vishnu , but science can not prove

it as living ..

Please clear my doubts !!

Hari Bol !!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can any more scriptural references be found to further explain that sun, rock, etc has soul? Also, any references for rock as one of yoni?
  • There is consciousness in the rock but it is in the mode of darkness, thus its greatly restricted. The very great Lord is the only Conscious Being, every other living entity is borrowing the Consciousness of the Lord. The only difference between us and other living entities and rocks is the limitations imposed on consciousness. When consciousness expands, there is greater freedom thus greater capacity, when consciousness is restricted, there is limitation in freedom. Maya imposes on consciousness limitation in regards to knowledge, will, and action. The Lord is Universal Consciousness, thus the Lord does not have any limitation in regards to knowledge, will, and freedom of action, thus when through yoga practise we unite with the Lord, our consciousness also gains greater freedom, knowledge, will and action thus explaining the greater life-forms of experience which harbor greater freedom, knowledge and action upto the point of Brahma. Any living entity can become a Brahma or an Indra it is not impossible, but to you and me it may seem like how can it be when we look at our own limitations of knowledge, will and action but this is due to only our consciousness having restriction of freedom and Brahmas Consciousness being more expansive. Similarily Rock life has consciousness, but its more restricted than our own.     

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Ashwani Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All Glories to Srila Prabhupada

See everything emanating from Para-Brahman (krishna). So all things animate or inanimate has Para Brahman (Krishna as Paramathma)  as their inner self . As upanisads  saying

He who dwells in the earth and within the earth, whom the earth does not know, whose body the earth is, and who rules the earth within, he is thy Self, the ruler within, the immortal” (Brihad Aranakya upanisads III, vii, 3–23).

So In one way Krishna is supreme living entity , so as he resides in every atom , so everything is living in one sense. Like as Krishna resides as paramathma in our heart, he also resides in the heart of each atom. In that sense inanimate things also has soul as the support of their body, e.g, earth , sun also posesses a soul, but their body is huge and differnt from us, in that way few stone has soul also, but not all stone has soul in it, bt few have.

Hope this will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• Volunteer

My humble obeisances dear Devotees,

:O even i saw such like alive stone which was flying :O that time i thought person who is keeping that stone was some kind of mystic but the stone used to fly ....

And from Puranas we know Ahaliya was cursed by her husband to become a stone then when she requested to be merciful he told that she will be delivered by Lord Rama Himself.

Also even jewelry stones have souls. They are living entities. Because of that they have some good or bad effects to us.

Your servant, 

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Ashwani Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Please go through the below conversation of Srila Prabhupada, your question is answered here.

Extract from January 9, 1974. Los Angeles. Morning walk.

Prabhupada: That is reality, when you are chanting Hare Krishna. That is reality.

Hanuman: But I also see all this.

Prabhupada: Eh? That is another thing. On the path of reality, you come.

Hanuman: On the path?

Prabhupada: Yes. It is a process. When the process is complete, then you'll come to the reality. But that is the process. Ceto-darpana-marjanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. We cannot distinguish now reality and non-reality because the heart is unclean. So we have to cleanse, and then we come to the reality.

Svarupa Damodara: For that matter, Srila Prabhupada, when one comes to that stage, there is no difference between animate and inanimate. Is that true?

Prabhupada: Highest stage?

Svarupa Damodara: Yes.

Prabhupada: Highest stage, everything animate.

Svarupa Damodara: Yes. So a stone... Even a stone has soul.

Prabhupada: Oh yes, yes. Just like this tree. You cut; it does not protest. The consciousness is not developed. That is the... But it has got life. You scientists, you do not believe that stone has also life?

Svarupa Damodara: No, they say it's just matter.

Prabhupada: Eh?

Svarupa Damodara: They say there's no life there.

Prabhupada: No, there is life.

Nitai: Every stone has life?

Prabhupada: Yes. No, dead stone has no... But there are many mountains, they are increasing. You know, at Benares there is a stone? Tila-bandhesvara. (?)

Svarupa Damodara: I don't know.

Prabhupada: Yes. That increases. If you go, see today, and go ten years after, you'll see—take the measurement—it has increased. They'll go...

Svarupa Damodara: But they will say that because of the position of the dust particles the size will increase. Even a small...

Prabhupada: No, no, no. It is clean. There is no... It is being washed even. Its name is Tila-bandhesvara. (?) So there is no uncleanliness. Still, the body increases. There is still Tila-bandhesvara. (?) There is temple of Tila-bandhesvara. People go to see.

Svarupa Damodara: But the consciousness is covered there.

Prabhupada: Covered, yes. Dullness means consciousness is covered. You put a child in open air. He'll not feel much cold. You see practically. He'll not feel. Because consciousness is not developed. Animal, they will not feel cold. But we feel.

Bahulashva: But Prabhupada, there are still such things as dead matter?

Prabhupada: Not dead matter. The soul is there.

Bahulashva: Suppose something, well, something like this shoe that I'm wearing...,

Prabhupada: It is now dead matter. But when you go, the higher understanding, it is a composition of atoms. So we learn from Vedic shastra that within the atom there is life. Andantara-stha-paramanu-cayantara-stham govindam adi-purusham tam aham bhajami [Bs. 5.35]. There is, there. If within the atom there is life, then what to speak of anything else.

Bahulashva: That's a jivatma?

Prabhupada: No, no. Govinda is there.

Bahulashva: Krishna.

Prabhupada: When Krishna is there, then Krishna is there with everything. Krishna cannot be alone.

Bahulashva: This is the real science, Srila Prabhupada.

Your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

This reply was deleted.