Devi - Bhagwatam or Devi Purana Controversy

Hare Krishna ,

All Glories To Srila Prabhupada ,

What is Devi - Bhagwatam ?

I have heard that it is a Upurana , but it contains 18000 verses .

It itself declares it as Mahapuran . But there is a controversy over its authentication .

Some says it was written by Ved Vyas . Some says it was written in Bengali ,

It is a major text Of Shaktas , and Glorifies Durga .

But there are many questions regarding Durga's daughter being Laxmi and Saraswati .

Is it a Purana or It have been designated Bhagwatam by people .

Like we have Bhagwat Puran , So it is called Srimad Bhagwatam .

How can devi-puran be Devi Bhagwatam and Durga be the mother of Laxmi and Saraswati .

Hari Bol !!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Hari Bol Prabhu jee!

Excuse me for my ignorance. If I go by your rationale then there is no mention of Krishna in Veda! Do we come back to Shruti then? it is Shruti that conects Krishna as Vishnu. Please guide.

Hari bol!

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Please go through VISHNU SAHASRANAMA of MAHABHRATA (Mahabharata is Fifth Veda). Vishnu has thousand names, KRISHNA is prime among them because KRISHNA means reservoir of all please.If we address the name Narayana  instead of Krishna then it holds same value. If anyone has any problem with the name Krishna they can worship him as VIshnu. Vishnu and Krishna are non-different.

For your further info Vishnu/Narayana name is mentioned in Vedas because it is Official mannual and Krishna's dealing is confidential only his very close associates utter by this name thats why he comes for the pleasure of his confidential associates.

Not only that here is the Shruti refrences of Krishna

Narayana upanisad of Atharva Veda in which Lord Narayana is glorified clearly states that " brahmanyo devaki putra. brahmanyo madhusudhno ".
          It means the Supreme Brahman is Krishna.

Please try to understand the smriti text which talks about Krishna , all those identify  Krishna with Vishnu.... HOW COME DEVI BECAME VISHNU...isn't it sound silly??

your aspiring servant

Hari bol

• Hari Bol Prabhu jee! PAMHO! AGTSP!

Ved are only Shruti. http://hinduism.iskcon.org/tradition/1106.htm If any Smriti is accepted as Shruti, it is out of respect. Like us, other devotees can claim their book to be Shruti. Like Ram Bhakta say Ramayan is one. I understand that it is out of respect.

Narayan Upnishad is not Shruti. If we quote Upnishads then there are more by Vendantins then us. Not sure how it can be taken as Shruti.

Coming to the point. If we accept authority of VedVyasa then HIS words seem sufficient to dispel any confusion. Afterall, why not accept what VedVyasa said? Not accepting will be a Guru Aparadh.

Your dasanudasa,

Sharanagat

• Prabhu jee.

Hari Bol!

Isn't it true that Samhita is considered Shruti and others are Smriti and have a definite start? So if you interpret the four as part of Ved, then you should complete by having Vedang and Upveda also included. Each Vedic shakha has its own Brahmana, same goes for Aranyaka and Upnishad.

I find your post extremely restrictive to accept. I accept what Ved Vyasa said as I do not see anywhere Srila Prabhupada say not to read Devi Bhagwatam either.

Your servant,

Sharanagat

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Sarangat Prabhu.andavat Pranam.All Glories to Srila Prabhupada

/*Narayan Upnishad is not Shruti. If we quote Upnishads then there are more by Vendantins then us. Not sure how it can be taken as Shruti.*/

Vedas consists of Shruti and Smriti. Shruti further divided in four parts rig,sama,yayur and athrva. Each part further divided in four part i.e each shruti has four division:

1.Samhitas

2.Brahamans

3.Aranyakas

4.Upanisads

The above mentioned four branches alltogether constitutes one shruti out of four Shruti. The Samhitas and Brahmanas form the Karma-Kanda section of Vedas They are apparently concerned with the ceremonial
              rites and rituals. The Aranyakas and the Upanishads form the Gyan-Kanda segment of the Vedas. They explicitly focus on the philosophy and spiritualism.

The Upanishads are the concluding portions of the Vedas. The Upanishads are at the end of the Vedas.The Upanishads are referred to as the Vedanta. The word Vedanta is a compound word made up of two Sanskrit words: ‘Veda’ and  ‘Anta’. The word ‘anta’ means an end. The Vedanta essentially refers to the philosophy pronounced in the Upanishads, the final parts of the Vedas. The Vedanta broadly covers the philosophy enunciated by the holy Scriptural Trinity – the Upanishads, the Brahma-Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita.

Narayana upanisad is one of the 108 upanisads mentioned in muktika canon as accepted by all the great Acharyas.

/*If we quote Upnishads then there are more by Vendantins then us. Not sure how it can be taken as Shruti.*/

If you read Ramanuja, Madhava you would not have said that. True Vedantins are devotees not mundane philosophers.

/*Like Ram Bhakta say Ramayan is one*/

This is called ekanti Bhakti, some devotees worships vishnu as Laxmi-Narayana, some as Sita-Ram and some as Radha Krishna. They are all same personality. Devotees give priority and glorify one form of the same lord Vishnu whom they love most

/*Coming to the point. If we accept authority of VedVyasa then HIS words seem sufficient to dispel any confusion. Afterall, why not accept what VedVyasa said? Not accepting will be a Guru Aparadh.*/

If we accept Vedavyasa we must accept Mahabharata , Bhagavat Gita and the words of Krishna as compiled by Vyasa where Arjuna is saying

BG 10.12-13: Arjuna said: You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the ultimate abode, the purest, the Absolute Truth. You are the eternal, transcendental, original person, the unborn, the greatest. All the great sages such as Nārada, Asita, Devala and Vyāsa confirm this truth about You, and now You Yourself are declaring it to me.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY DIFFICULTY TO ACCEPT KRISHNA AS SUPREME AFTER THAT RATHER THAN CONTEMPLATING ON A OUT OF CONTEXT DEVI BHGAVATAM.

NOT ACCEPTING THIS AUTHORITIES , NOT ACCEPTING AND NOT HAVING FAITH IN THE WORDS OF PRABHUPADA IS GURU APARADH,PRABUPADA NEVER TOLD US TO READ DEVI BHGAVATAM. DENYING HIM IS GREATER APARADH.

IF DEVI BHAGAVATAM IS AN AUTHENTIC ONE THEN IT WOULD ATTRACT A COMMENTRY OF ALL THE GREAT ACHARAYAS FROM ADI SHANKARA ,RAMANUJA,MADHVA,VISHNUSWAMI.......BUT UNFORTUNATELY NO ONE EVER ACCEPTED IT. WHO IS GREAT AUTHORITY THAN THEM?

A TRUE BHAKTA IS CONCERNED ONLY WITH VISHNU/KRISHNA WHY WOULD HE/SHE BE EVER EAGER ABOUT OTHERS??

Your aspiring servant

Hari BOl

• Hari Bol!

Prabhu jee - Uppuran and puran are nomenclature given by people.

Ved Vyasa puts Devi Bhagwatam as only MahaPuran. Let us see:

"This is the end of the fifth section of the Vishnu Purana", or "Thus ends the first chapter of Ganesha Purana Upasanakhanda called "The Description of Somakanta". Where as in the Devi Bhagavatam it is clearly - "Thus ends the eighth chapter of the first Skandha in the Mahapurâna Srimad Devî Bhâgavatam of 18,000 verses by Maharsi Vedavyâsa".

Also qualification of Puran as such for Satva, Rajas and Tamas were done in Bhakti Movement time.

Rest, you people are wise to decide.

Hari Bol!

• Sevak

Hare Krishna. PAMHO. AGTSP.

Prabhu Ji, I think you already know that some scriptures are in the mode of goodness, some in passion, and some in ignorance. As devotees we should read scriptures in the mode of goodness because the TRUTH is stated there. As you will see that in Shiva Purana it is stated that Shiva is Supreme Personality of Godhead. But Shiva Purana is for people in ignorance. It is made for the purpose of deluding demons. Theses kind of scriptures easily attract ignorant people and make them believe. So the same applies for Devi Bhagwatam. Since Durga Devi is an expansion of Maha Lakshmi Devi then how can she be the mother of Lakshmi Ji? 

Your Servant.

Hari Bol! 

This reply was deleted.