Deity Worship

I'm planning to set up my new temple. I've deities of Radha Krsna (5"), Gaura-Nitai (7"),Shiv Pravivar(7"), Ram Darbar(6"), Durga(8") [all made of polyresin] and Balgopal lying on Banyan Leaf [marble].Is there any issues with the sizes? I read that we should place Radha Krsna deities on a higher platform than other deities. So may I keep my RadhaKrsna deities on a small table to increase its height than other deities? Or can I replace my Radha Krsna deities (I used to offer food on ekadasi)with a new one? Is it ok to just offer lamps and bhoga without bathing deities as they are polyresin?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• God Heads are Light & ignorance is darkness. Where there is the light of the GodHeads there can be no darkness "
    Shiva Lord of darkness should have His/their own Spot.
  • E-Counselor

Initially, you are recommended to worship Gour-Nitai who are very merciful. Gour-Nitai can forgive you for any offenses made due to incomplete understanding of method of worshiping. However, please stay away of keeping or worshiping the demigods like Lord Shiva or demigoddess like Durga. Not only it is offensive to worship them in presence of Radha-Krishna,but also it will be foolishness on part of you.

As stated in B.G.7.20,

kāmais tais tair hṛta-jñānāḥ
    prapadyante ’nya-devatāḥ
    taṁ taṁ niyamam āsthāya
    prakṛtyā niyatāḥ svayā
    Translation: 
    Those whose intelligence has been stolen by material desires surrender unto demigods and follow the particular rules and regulations of worship according to their own natures.
  • pahmo  hare krsna

its a nice desire to worsip deity you can learn from a devotee or deity worship .com

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Firstly, very sorry I didnt reply to your post earlier.

To answer your questions - polyresin is not one of the elements mentioned in the shastras in whihc one can worship a deity. So strictly speaking, keep all your deities as show pieces in different places in your house/ room. Secondly, my personal opinion is that these are too many deities for you to maintain and worship. Normally, we do not keep Shiv Parivar and Durga deities in our altar at all. There is no harm, as long as one knows who they are and worships them from that perspective.

My suggestion is you please make your altar, with photographs of deities in the temples and worship them. Deities in idol form need more care, which you may not be able to do at this juncture. Pls get the book - Beginners Guide to Krsna Consciousness and see how to set up an altar and set up accordingly. Apart from deities, we need guru parampara and acharyas photos to be kept on the altar.

The standard of worship is what you set for your house. It could be the simplest thing - one arati and one offering or it could be more elaborate. My suggestion is to keep it simple initially and gradually increase the level as and when you are comfortable. Whatever standard you set is what you have to follow consistently.

It is a very good idea to observe ekadasi and to offer food on ekadasi before having. Pls continue the process, offering to the deities you set up in your altar.

If you have anything further to ask, pls feel free.

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.