Corporate

Dear All,I am working in a corporate firm and inspite of good work and having completed a reasonable tenure, i was not promoted in the next level in the organisation. The reason cited by them were :(a) That i dont have a leader with of whom, elevation is possible(b) I am not being informal with my seniors (as in after work being informal)(c) Work wise there is no issue, but the team size is hugemany more reasons which i thought are silly.....Am not feeling bad for not being promoted but i feel that i am being cheated coz when i joined this team (5 yrs back as an article) and post qualification also when the partner left the previous firm, they were chasing with me to join them and suddenly at the year end they are saying that i dont have a leader...What i infer is performance has no role to play, its only how good u r informally with your seniors...or be manipulative or diplomatic in my approach.I have been following krishna conciousness movement since a long time and when promotions got declared and even now i am not feeling bad for not being promoted but the reasons are so sick makes me feel that ppl are so hypocrites...What i am looking for in this discussion is "what should be my approach now ?? as in be the way i am or change and be manipulative like others or just ignore.Looking forward for a solution from this discussion....Best RegardsAmrita

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Dear Amritaji,

His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada has explained in the Bhagavad-Gita and other books that in this material world, asuras, in the form of karmis, fruitive workers, occupy high positions in companies and society in general.

From the Bhagavad-Gita:

"The demoniac man knows no limit to his desire to acquire money. That is unlimited. He only thinks how much assessment he has just now and schemes to engage that stock of wealth farther and farther. For that reason, he does not hesitate to act in any sinful way and so deals in the black market for illegal gratification. He is enamoured by the possessions he has already, such as land, family, house and bank balance, and he is always planning to improve them. He believes in his own strength, and he does not know that whatever he is gaining is due to his past good deeds. He is given an opportunity to accumulate such things, but he has no conception of past causes.

Anyone who comes into competition with such a demoniac man is his enemy. There are many demoniac people, and each is enemy to the others. This enmity becomes more and more deep—between persons, then between families, then between societies, and at last between nations."

It is possible that the seniors consider you as a person different from them, especially if they are aware that you are part of ISKCON society. Then, they may have discriminated against you.

In any case, I think that you should consider the advantages of this situation, especially if you have less stress

or at least not more than before since you have not been promoted. This can help give you more time for

service to Krsna, which is the way to real satisfaction and later liberation. His Grace Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur who was an important magistrate in government, stressed that one should balance material work/duties

and spiritual work/duties but that we should always favor spiritual work/duties. If your seniors are not making you too uncomfortable at work and if you like your work, I think you should stay.

It is up to you to decide based on the krsna consciousness advice but a criteria should be if this work allows you enough time to devote to Krsna's service. Another work can be more rewarding for you personally but too time consuming and stressful preventing you from devoting time for Krsna's service.

Another important thing to remember is to work without attachment. From the Gita:

"One who is attached to the result of his work is also the cause of the action. Thus he is the enjoyer or sufferer of the result of such actions. As far as prescribed duties are concerned, they can be fitted into three subdivisions, namely routine work, emergency work and desired activities. Routine work, in terms of the scriptural injunctions, is done without desire for results. As one has to do it, obligatory work is action in the mode of goodness. Work with results becomes the cause of bondage; therefore such work is not auspicious. Everyone has his proprietory right in regard to prescribed duties, but should act without attachment to the result; such disinterested obligatory duties doubtlessly lead one to the path of liberation."

Hari Bol,

•  

Hare Krsna Amrita

All glories to Srila Prabupada

The problems that u r facing are not unique. We all are in the same boat. Even we find it very difficult to socialize with non devotees and when we move away from such weird and cheap association where only drinking, dancing and worthless talks dominate we are branded as lacking in interpersonal skills, not being diplomatic, too old fashioned and so called mundaners even try to show that we are misfit in the present world. During my 9 year stay abroad I have seen that Indians are way ahead in show off, artificially imitating the west and laughing when they see devotees like us.

I feel that moving away or giving up will not help. You have to excell at work to that extent that your skill and talent cannot be overlooked or sweeped under carpet. Peform your best, keep pushing thru. The negativities around you will pull you down but your faith in Krishna and Krishna himself will pull you up.

I hope this meets you well

Hare Krishna

Sudha Mehta

• All Glories to Srila Prabhupada

pamho mata ji

There is no any discussion for solution of material attraction , we have to truly accept our material desire need to surrender ourself , our all work in lotus feet of krishna , when we are in truly hard time we should accept  this pain in love of krishna... ...

Bhagvad Geeta  chepter 3 - verse 30

mayi sarvani karmani sannyasyadhyatma-cetasa 
      nirasir nirmamo bhutva yudhyasva vigata-jvarah

Therefore, O Arjuna, surrendering all your works unto Me, with mind intent on Me, and without desire for gain and free from egoism and lethargy, fight....... hari bol 

may lord krishna bless u mata ji 

your servant 

Ravi Dewangan

• Hare Krishna,

We should not deviate from our krishna consciousness what situation may come. If we are pure, we will get self satisfaction. Satisfaction comes from within, not from work environment or society. We have three kinds of misery in life : aadi daihik, aadi daivik & aadi bhautik. Not a single person can avoid these in their life. Our aim is to remember lord Krishna in any type of misery i.e. surrender to him. Not getting promotion is a misery that falls under catagory of aadi bhautik i.e. misery because of your surroundings. Kunti prayed to Lord that you give me more misery so that i can remember you more.

• Let us get promotion from Krishna and not this mundane mortals. Be sincere in your work. But there is not need to contaminate your consciousness. We may attain promotion but we may be compromising on our consciousness. What is the use. Always think of Krishna! Probably it's time for us to intensify our chanting. This material world is no place for a gentleman - Srila Prabhupda or gentlewoman :-)
  • Be proactive and not reactive.Situation changes
  • Jai Shri Krishna..

The world is a miserable place and working to attain a materialistic higher position in work/life is fraught with unhappiness due to insincere people. I guess that most of us know this, yet we give into Maya and expect happiness. As you have said that people are hypocritical and I hope that you will not be joining the ranks of hypocrites. Be sincere and involve Krishna in all you do. Krishna knows what you need. I'm sorry but I may be a hypocrite but I'm in the same boat. I need the same preaching from someone else. Sad that I'm not listening to myself.. :-(

Hare Krishna..all the best..

This reply was deleted.