Replies

• Hare Krishna Maria Mata!

Jai Sril Prabhupad!

As per my knowledge with the help of Guruji.While chanting Japa Mala you can not eat, sleep, watch TV and read books.

I hope it is clear.

Hare Krishna.

• If you sleep then for sure you cant chant, except doing it in a dream. :)

Transcendental sound vibrations purify, no matter of mind focus.

The more you chant, the better is.

Somebody can ask, what about those who cant hear any sounds, can they get purified by sound of the holy names ?

The answer is yes, even deaf and blind can be purified in a presence of transcendental vibrations of holy names. Actually all living entities, even insects, trees and plants can be purified in this way.

Its possible only because of the same quality of God and transcendental souls.

Vedic practice is to be focused on chanting mantra the much as possible.

In a practice of brahmanas and dvijas, vedic mantras should be chanted in satva guna and without interruptions for better focus, for example shoud be bathed, clean cloths, sit on the clean place, acamana with sip of water, satvic surroundings, with empty stomach,...

In vedic culture, shudras, outcaste ones, and woman are forbidden to study scriptures, chanting mantras, sacrifices, tapasyas,...

Only mantras of holy names of Lord are aloud to be chant by anyone, by no rules and restrictions,

especially Hare Krishna maha mantra. Lord Caitanya recommend chanting it with a humble state of mind.

Those who knows all that, shoud never make any restrictions, regulations or rules of chanting maha mantra for nobody.

Thats my opinion.

• Hare Krishna! Thank you all for helping me I didn't know whether or not it was okay. I now understand.

Hare Krishna!

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna,
      My obeisances to all devotees, guru and gauranga.

So, what did you take from the responses mataji and what is your conclusion?

Chant and be happy.

Srila prabhupada ki jai..

Hare krsna

• "The standard is coming straight from the scriptures." .  Well said prabhuji.

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna,
    My obeisances to all devotees, guru and gauranga.

I agree with Rashmi mataji, one shouldnt do any other activity during chanting. But that level of being absorbed in thoughts of Krsna through chanting takes time. One should not try to multi task even with other Krsna conscious activities when one has dedicated time for chanting.

I also agree with Dean prabhu to an extent as for a new devotee its hard to keep the mind still on one activity. The steadiness to concentrate on a particular KC activity comes through knowledge, devotion and serving attitude.

The Hare Krsna maha-mantra isn't an ordinary sound. Krsna is present in His names, and because Krsna is the reservoir of all spiritual pleasure, His names are also full of pleasure. That's why a great spiritual master once said he wanted millions of ears to hear Krsna's names and millions of tongues to chant them.

Maria mataji, just think of it this way, one wouldnt (shouldnt) text on the mobile while driving. He/she can neither concentrate on either texting nor driving and we all know that it has the potential to be fatal. So, why not enjoy the full transcendental bliss that comes with chanting rather than dividing that pleasure between activities?

This is my limited understanding

Chant and be happy.

Srila prabhupada ki jai..

Hare krsna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

My input in this is - do we tell beginners who are learning to drive that its ok if you drive at the wrong side of road? When we are learning to drive - we are told all the rules and are expected to follow from day 1. It is expected that the new driver will not be able to follow all the rules or will make mistakes, but he is told frm beginning that he has to follow these rules.

In the case of chanting, if we start saying for beginners it is ok, that will become a habit. How many of us check our mobiles while chanting? How many of us read newspaper headlines while chanting? This is because it has become a habit with us - a habit we formed when we started to chant.

The lady is asking, so we have to tell the standard. She may not be able to follow, but she has to know what is the standard.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna! PAMHO! Thank you all very much for your help.

Your Servant

-Maria

• hare krishan Mata ji,

I'm new to this community and lots of people might disagree with me but the truth is 

you can remember god anytime you want.

Chanting can be done anytime, but if you do chanting without diverting your mind on anything else that will be very beneficial.

• For begginers, its ok. You can always chant no matter what you do and where you are.

This reply was deleted.