chanting in mind

Hare Krishna!

PAMHO

there is no doubt that we should chant all the time but what if we are in a car or a train or at home but with other members who don't want to hear that? I share a room with my sister and she's not exactly interested so it get's a little hard to chant at all times. so can I chant in my mind? i know devotees say not to and I don't chant my rounds in silence (unless it's necessary to, like a train as I said) but if I want to chant all the time then many times I can only chant in my mind. say I'm running, it would get really hard for me to chant (maybe it's just my stamina) so can I chant in my mind in these situations?

Hare Krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've an answer based on real life stories of an avatar of Hanuman. I can share it if you want or we can wait for if anyone answers from Prabhupada's teachings.

• Hare Krishna prabhu ji

of course please share it

Hare Krishna

• Neem Karoli Baba were an avatar of Hanuman. He indicated that in multiple ways, e.g. transforming himself to Hanuman while he was standing with someone; telling someone to read from Ramayana where "I'm talking to Vibhishana" where he meant Hanuman is talking to Vibhishana; appearing in place of Hanuman mutri. He's also known as Maharajji.

Maharajji was travelling in car with some persons. One passenger started chanting Ram naam and others were able to hear him, Maharajji told him to shut up and chant in his mind. The person replied "What can I do; You made me chant so that you can give this teaching to the driver.". Seemingly the person who started chanting didn't used to normally chant vocally when others were around, but Maharajji used his magical power to make him do it so that Maharajji can give a teaching to the driver who used to disturb others with his vocal chanting.

At another instance, a lady from ISKCON sang the Hare Krishna mantra so beautifully in front of Maharajji that it brought tears in his eyes.

So vocal chanting is good but don't disturb others with it, in that case you can do mental chanting which is also good.

• Hare Krishna Prabhu ji

thank you so much but, is that really disturbing? i chant in my mind when it's really needed otherwise isn't it a good thing if others hear hari naam? chaitanya mahaprabhu has propagated loud chanting. I chant in my mind only when really necessary (at night, running) otherwise, I guess it's so nice to chant loudly

Hare Krishna

This reply was deleted.