Im a Krishna devotee following the four regulative principles and chanting the Mahamantra regularly from the past 6months.I dont have any ISKCON temples nearby,but only a centre.My parents wont allow me to go there and meet the devotees there.So I can't let the authorities know that I want to serve Krishna.And so initiation is not possible for me.I had to even chant when my parents are not at home.They feel weird when someone asks me about my Tulsi neckbeads.And they dont allow me to put Srila Prabhupada's picture on my small altar.I cant have Krishna prasadam and its so difficult for me to fast.Recently I had a dream of Srila Prabhupada,he said me 'u join our Krishna Consciousness'.I was so shocked and happy at the same time and I tried a lot to convince my parents but they feel it nonsense.They says 'dont be a fanatic,u just pray well thats enough'.So I just chant Pancha-tattva Mantra then the Mahamantra.I read somewhere that we have to first chant guru pranati mantra.As I cant have Krishna prasadam,Im not initiated and I doesnt have a Guru;Im not sure whether I can accept Prabhupada as my guru in my mind and chant.I dont want to commit any offense unknowingly.Kindly anyone guide me.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In the absence of vaphu the physical presence of the spiritual master, one can get the same instructions from vani, or the spiritual master' s books. To be a Krishna devotee one has to do bhakti. That I believe is the initiation itself.
    • true

• Dear Girish Sharma,

I wanted to be initiated literally 26 years ago ( early 90s ) after I was introduced to the Hare Krishna maha mantra, " Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare/ Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare " from a friend who went gaga over it in 1977. There was a temple where I use to eat prasadam on a Sunday named The Hare Krishna Damodara Paradise located in Pagsabungan Road, Basak, Mandaue City, Philippines. It was here I met Giridari Guru Maharaj. I said to him if ISKCON could sponsor my bhakti writing articles for the local newspapers in our place. He looked straight at me, smiled and said, " Oh! That`s why you are here. We will buy the newspaper instead. " You see, when I became a regular contributor for the Freeman Comments and Views. The editor-in-chief finally gave me a space to write entitled, A Grain of Devotion by Naradadeva Bhagavan. To cut it short, the project never took off. That was the last time I met and talk with Giridari Guru Maharaj, a bonafide representative of ISKCON. But did it gave me discouragement despite the rejection? Nope. I continued to write about Krishna wherever I can in different Religious Discussions Forums. I was even banned in some of them for life for stretching to much my views about Krishna some even bordering on monstrosity. Gradually I became a self-realized soul, a person who thinks, feels and acts though it is the Paramatma doing it to him. Good or bad reactions does not move me anymore. I go on and on,  writing about Krishna Consciousness, in fact, even up to my last breath. Never mind if I gain or win a friend.

Haribol always,

Krsnaraja Melvin

PS..here`s a song I dedicate to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOjQvADLG4

• Hare Krishna Mathaji,

A couple of things I found in the conversation and would like to advice you on this.

1. Increase your rounds

you must do it. In one of the quotes Prabhupada says, if you can not chant 16 rounds and follow 4 regulative principles, you are not my disciple.

Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur explains that the prema-ruruksu devotees (those who earnestly strive for ascending up to the region of prema) chant 192 (3 x 64) rounds daily. If one were to chant each round in 7.5 minutes, these 192 rounds would completely fill up with his 24 hours leaving him no time to eat, sleep, earn a livelihood, or even go to the toilet. If one were to speed up his chanting and complete each round within 5 minutes, his chanting would still take 16 hours leaving him only 8 hours daily for sleeping, earning a livelihood, commuting, etc. The point is that for most people this much chanting is not possible. But still is it in described by Srinivasacarya "sankhya-purvaka-nama-gana" that one must maintain numerical strength while chanting the holy names. Therefore Srila Prabhupada has mercifully fixed up a number of at least 16 rounds of Hare Krishna chanting daily for us. This is a number which can be practically accomplished on a daily basis along with our other numerous material duties. He encouraged us to also to increase our chanting beyond 16 rounds as far as our daily schedule allows.

To become perfect in chanting we must obey the spiritual master's orders. Therefore at least 16 rounds daily of japa mala must be completed, if we are at all serious about attaining spiritual perfection. The disciples are always encouraged to chant more if possible, but not less.

Srila Prabhupada speaks about this in Bhagavad-gita class Nairobi Oct. 28, 1975

Indian man: Prabhupada, when we do our chanting, the chanting beads contain 108 beads. Why is this, and why do we chant sixteen rounds?
    Srila Prabhupada: Not sixteen rounds. You can chant unlimitedly.
    Indian man: No, minimum
    Srila Prabhupada: Minimum because they cannot chant more than that, therefore minimum. Otherwise kirtaniyahsada harih[Cc. adi 17.31]. So you must have a fixed amount of kirtana. That is called tapasya, that “We must finish at least this much, if not more.” Sankhya-purvaka-nama-gana-natibhih. Sankhya-purvaka. By numerical strength one should chant. That is called vow. This is the idea. So these Europeans, Americans, they cannot imitate Haridasa Ṭhakura, who was chanting 300,000 times. So we do not advise to imitate. Really do something. One name is sufficient. If you can chant one name only, that is sufficient, but that is not possible. So to understand the value of name at least we must have some numerical strength. All the Gosvamis used to do that. We follow their footprints. Thank you. Now chant Hare Krsna.
    Devotees: All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Q: How to chant if you are too busy?

A: Hare Krishna. Thank you for your question.
    Srila Prabhupada gave a clue how a busy man in household life might chant 16 rounds. Chant 4 before breakfast, 4 before lunch, 4 before dinner, and 4 before taking rest for the evening.

Another point is that chanting elevates our consciousness so we do not need to sleep as much. Instead of sleeping eight hours, you can sleep six hours and chant two hours.

Q: I am really interested in Bhagavad Gita but if i read the book i can’t understand. So whom am I going to ask?

A: You can ask us online or at livehelp@krishna.com.

Q: Is it a must to chant 16 rounds?

A: Srila Prabhupada considered that if we chanted 16 rounds daily and tried to avoid the offenses in chanting that by the end of our lives we would become pure enough to be eligible to return to the spiritual world.

2. Eating Onion/garlic, If you can not-remove wearing Tulsi beads-its an offense

Try to avoid Mathaji as much as possible. Wearing Tulsi and eating onion is considered as a greatest sin. I am sorry to say , but you must stop the intake of Onion and Garlic anyhow . The reason is these things are a high source of Mode of Ignorance i.e. Tamogun . Thus you will develop Ignorance and it is very very very difficult to perform devotional service when one is heavily coverved by Tamas . Also onion garlic will make you Lusty . So it is impractical to chant properly in such matter even if you chant on a bead made with plastic beads . It is natural that you will give up chanting or your rounds will be decreased gradually . Your mind will remain disturbed in random thoughts while chanting and thus no proper focus on hearing each word attentivly !

its good that you are veg. 

Also, going to ISKCON is not recommended for girls. Please live humble and happily whereever you are, get married and pray intensiley to Krishna. He will sure provide you the right way to do things. 

Advices :

1. Take a photo of Narasimha and start praying to Him. He will remove the obstacles and you will increase more love for Krishna. 

2. Think of Vrindavan always. Think to serve Vaishnavas. 

3. pray that I want to increase rounds, even if you are not getting chance. 

4. Always offer food items to Krishna which is pure veg+without onion/garlic. 

5. One more thing: Srila Prabhupada is not just Shiksha Guru-he is Deeksha Guru as well. Some people made him Shiksha Guru and new Gurus are trying to replace him. Please be aware of this fact. 

6. More about initiation by Prabhupada himself is here : http://krishna.org/srila-prabhupada-on-initiation-compilation-of-qu...

7. Get more association online. Whatsapp/Facebook/Twitter - daily msgs/darshans. 

May Krishna help you.

Your servant

Srila Prabhupada on Initiation [compilation of quotes]
    I am separated from my Guru Maharaja since 1936 but I am always with him so long I work according to his direction.
  • Krishna is alway truthful and sinless Krishna is independent of any karmic indebtedness also hence He is free to do or undo any situations we the devoted find ourselves encountering! And truly He will rescue His devoted servants. When His Holy Names are chanted He become motivated & inspired to respond & so if our chanting palatable & as offenceless as possible our results will be as fast and as soon as needed/possible
    Ok then keep chanting respectfully & trust in Krishna's abilities His Names & His judgment. It's all possible if you are devoted to calling upon The Holy names of the Head Gods Hare Krishna & Rama. Keep trusting & keep calling the rest will be managed by Them. Glory Glory to you for becoming the catalyst to the salvation of your people & this fallen World society.
    All glory all glory Bhaktee gee for you efforts at reawakening and realizing your eternal relationship with God! Victory is your's!
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Welcome to Krsna Consciousness and to ISKCON. I saw your profile.

You have to gradually increase the number of rounds to 16. Do not worry about the opposition from parents right now. This obstacle is simply to make your resolve stronger. Once you become more resolute, you will be surprised how your parents will come around and actually support all your endeavours. Until then, it is important that you increase your rounds. Pls do it gradually - I generally tell everyone to start with 4 rounds and keep on increasing till you reach 16. Take your time - be comfortable.

Next, you should read mataji - you can start with Beginners Guide to Krsna Consciousness, On the Way to Krsna, Perfect Questions & Perfect Answers, Chant and Be Happy, Life Comes from Life and see how it goes. YOu can start reading Gita. YOu dont even need to buy any of them right now - you can get all these books in www.vedabase.com in whichever language you prefer.

You are not able to get association right now - pls try to associate online. YOu can view lectures, darshan, abhishek at http://mayapur.tv.

Regarding diet, until your parents come around, pls offer the food on your plate before eating it silently. There is no need for any mantras also, silently request Krsna to accept the food. Of course, it should be vegeterian, without onion and garlic. When Krsna sees your desire to please HIm, He will surely help.

And yes, Srila Prabhupada is your guru, my guru and the pre eminent Shiksha guru of entire ISKCON. His books are the spiritual law books for the next 10,000 years. So please take advantage and understand the philosophy. What you cant understand by reading and hearing lectures, pls ask. You are so fortunate Srila Prabhupada has come in your dream and given you direct instructions - pls follow it.

Are you a student or working? I will tell you accordingly how you can serve.

Please be polite, loving and respctful to your parents at all times. They are future devotees and the best way to convince them is to change your behaviour to be a responsible model child to them. One of the by products of Krsna Consciousness is we become model human beings - so many people will come upto you and tell you - I want to become like you. That is Krsna and guru's mercy.

Best of luck and pls be in touch.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• :) Thank you so much for your detailed answer Mam.Actually I cant increase the number of rounds because of the surroundings at home.Whenever they notice me spending more time with tulsi beads or reading Krsna Book they scolds me.So I hear Mahamantra with my headphone and chant along with it when possible.Is it necessary to chant with beads always?Can I chant by counting with fingers? 

I'll read the books you suggested.Im a pure vegetarian from the past 7-8 years.But haven't able to gave up onion completely as my mom cooks mostly.Its bit difficult for me to cook on a daily basis as I'm studying.Im studying; pursuing my post graduation degree in Lit. 

About associating with my parents;nowadays they complaints that Im becoming introvert.I dont watch television for so long I feel good in hearing kirtan or reading spiritual books.I had tried my best to convince them but they just gives me a strange stare.They feel like they are losing their daughter and wants me to get married asap.Inorder to avoid any chaos I just remain silent.These things are struggling in my heart and it brought me to this site. :) Hare Krsna.

This reply was deleted.