Book changes?

Hello all! Hare Krishna!

I have heard that ISKCON BBTI is changing the original pre-1978 books of Srila Prabhupada.My friend convinced me that it is a lie and a rumour.....One day in ISKCON temple,my friend gave me a book "perfect questions,perfect answers" which was a old version of 1978,i also had the same book but a new version which i bought from ISKCON temple.....while comparing both books,i found that the books are changed...the words,introduction..much was changed...why this is happening?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pardon for my intrusion. Why there is the need for Prabhupad`s Books to be changed? The books do not change . They remain As It Is. The English version from Sanskrit remains the same. Maybe the Purports in my opinion should be revised. Since it was first published in the late 70`s. We are now in the 20th going to the 21st century. So many things have changed since then. There is the Internet. The whole thing 30 years ago just exploded. Kaboom! There are words in those purports which should be deleted say, " miscreants." Some who read the pages of these books are protesting because there are fellowships e.g Yogananda self -realization whose members think the word " miscreant" is referred to them by Prabhupad. Many of these Yogananda followers do not like Prabhupad because His Divine Grace has been misquoted or something to mean the followers of this self-realization fellowships are miscreants. Which is not true. They are the same like you. Devotees of Mukunda, Govinda, Krishna, etc. So, I agree. The Prabhupad purports in Bhagavad-gita As It Is, Srimad Bhagavatam must be revised to suit with the times. We should not be sentimental about it.

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna,
    My obeisances to all devotees, guru and gauranga.

http://www.thespiritualscientist.com/2014/04/did-prabhupada-sanctio...

Chant and be happy.

Srila prabhupada ki jai..

Hare krsna

Did Prabhupada sanction the post-publishing editing of his books?
    From K Jayadeva Das: Between the first release of the MacMillan edition and the year 1977 in which Srila Prabhupada disappeared there would have been…
  • Hare Krishna,
    Today they are finding mistakes in books of Srila Prabhuada, tomorrow they will find mistakes in his lectures and then certainly some mistakes will be appeared to them in the Krishna consciousness process.
    Are they really following srila prabhupada and who are allowing such changes? Who understand themselves more intelligent than Srila Prabhupada.
    Srila Prabhupada always said that never apply your own mind. He would say that take the knowledge from authorized spiritual master and try to understand it not to judge it what is right or wrong. Don't speculate it.
    They are doing it.
    Two points are given in the discussion:
    (i)according to time and people's requirement
    Ans. For time and people teachings can't be changed and srila prabhupada has given us his teachings in such a way that any ordinary person can understand them easily and are complete. Our aim should not be to alter his teachings but to expend them as much as possible.
    (ii) Grammatical mistakes
    Ans. grammatical mistakes does not allow us to delete lines or alter the meaning in a different way from the original text.

They received the knowledge from these books Srila Prabhupada and now they are finding something wrong with these books. What is this? This must be stopped anyhow. If they think that something more to be added (which is not required, because books are complete anyway), they must publish their own books, not to contaminate original hard work of Srila Prabhupada.

Hari Bol
    • SB 1.5.11On the other hand, that literature which is full of descriptions of the transcendental glories of the name, fame, forms, pastimes, etc., of the unlimited Supreme Lord is a different creation, full of transcendental words directed toward bringing about a revolution in the impious lives of this world’s misdirected civilization. Such transcendental literatures, even though imperfectly composed, are heard, sung and accepted by purified men who are thoroughly honest.
      For faithless ones, even if Lord stand personally in front them, they will always seek for mistakes and complain.

• The “Revised and Enlarged” edition of Srila Prabhupada’s Bhagavad-gita As It Is distributed by today’s ISKCON is very different from Srila Prabhupada’s original Gita. Jayadvaita Swami, who radically changed ISKCON’s Gita in the early 80′s without any authorization from Srila Prabhupada, says in a note in the Revised & Enlarged edition (1983 printing):

“…the Sanskrit editors were by now accomplished scholars. And now they were able to see their way through perplexities in the manuscript by consulting the same Sanskrit commentaries Srila Prabhupada consulted when writing Bhagavad-gita As It Is.” 

The BBT editors may think they are very great scholars, qualified to go back to the original scriptures and “correct” Srila Prabhupada’s translations… But Srila Prabhupada didn’t have so much faith in his “Sanskrit Scholar” disciples…

“…a little learning is dangerous, especially for the Westerners. I am practically seeing that as soon as they begin to learn a little Sanskrit immediately they feel that they have become more than their guru and then the policy is kill guru and be killed himself.” (Srila Prabhupada letter to Dixit das on 18 Sep 1976)

Among his more than 5,000 changes to Srila Prabhupada’s Bhagavad-gita As It Is there are many major changes to the meaning of the text in the original book amid thousands of petty changes which apparently do not change the meaning…

There are hundreds of changes that completely alter the meaning of what Srila Prabhupada says in the original book including many that change philosophical points Srila Prabhupada personally confirmed while giving his classes and hearing his original Bhagavad-gita As It Is read by devotees…

There are hundreds of changes that completely alter the meaning of what Srila Prabhupada says in the original book including many that change philosophical points Srila Prabhupada personally confirmed while giving his classes and hearing his original Bhagavad-gita As It Is read by devotees…

To give some idea of the changes we have collected 108 of them. This is by no means a complete list. There are hundreds more similar changes that COMPLETELY alter the meaning of the text in Srila Prabhupada’s book, but these 108 changes will give us a small insight as to how different the current ISKCON Bhagavad-gita is from Srila Prabhupada’s original Bhagavad-gita As It Is.

I guarantee if you take a little time to carefully go through this paper you will be surprised and shocked to see than the GBC could allow such meddling with Srila Prabhupada’s books…

These 108 changes are only a few examples we have selected to illustrate the fact that ISKCON’s current “Revised and Enlarged” Bhagavad-gita, in many cases, presents a completely different message from the one presented in Srila Prabhupada’s original Gita. It’s NOT, NOT, NOT at all the same message one gets by reading Srila Prabhupada’s Bhagavad-gita As It Is! It’s a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BOOK to Srila Prabhupada’s original Bhagavad-gita As It Is.

Srila Prabhupada completely approved his original Bhagavad-gita As It Is , he read it himself daily and gave all of his classes from it. He certainly did not give ANYONE the AUTHORITY to “revise and enlarge” it.

The example list is here: http://bookchanges.com/108-iskcon-bhagavad-gita-changes/

• Without main  help of his educated students, it would be impossible to translate all his books on correct english language, what to talk about publishing, opening temples all over the world, giving initiations on behalf of Srila Prabhupad,...

Considering all that, i think many vaishnavas do not know enough about the work and service of Prabhupadas students in the time when Srila Prabhupad was present.

His students are Prabhupadas head, arms and legs, therefore at the same time they are equal and different to Srila Prabhupad.

• Hare Krishna ,

Thanks prabhu.

Please answer whether it is true that book are being changed. Because It should NEVER NEVER NEVER be. Knowledge obtained from spiritual master must be delivered to others AS IT IS.

Please discuss it.

• Hare Krishna Prabhu,

I have no idea if the actual contents of the book is being changed . I heard earlier that only some grammatical mistakes have been rectified if any in the main content without changing the inner meaning. There are many books sold in Iskcon which are not actually written by Prabhupada but is a compilation of his teachings and lectures . I believe BBT is responsible enough to keep the teachings of Prabhupada intact. 

Now coming to the other way . Even if BBT has changed anything we cannot do anything. There are lots of books of achraryas . If one reads them according to inclination  then there is no question of being misguided and the teaching is delivered AS IT IS.  

• Not to worry . You can find original Prabhupada books online if indeed there are changes later on. 

http://prabhupadabooks.com/

• is it true?

This reply was deleted.