Hare Krishna,

I have been conflicted by using soap while bating on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It is known that Thursday is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Saturdays are dedicated to Lord Srinivasa Perumal. I ready in one of the hindu forums that we are not to use soap while bathing on these days as it would be equivalent to cutting hair or shaving on these days.

Please shed some light on this and clear my confusion.

Sincere Thanks,

Satish

Hare Krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

"harer-nama harer-nama harer-namaiva kevalam kalau nasty-eva nasty-eva nasty-eva gatir anyatha"

‘Harinama, Harinama, Harinama is the only and foremost means to achieve emancipation. There is no other way, no other way, no other way in this age of Kali.

Please focus on what matters. Hari Nama Sankirtana.

It is not sinful, if you use soap or not. So, no big deal, either way.

I suggest you read the book Nectar of Instruction

There you will find 6 things that will help your devotional service

and 6 things that are harmful for devotional service.

One must follow rules and regulations. Not for the purpose of following rules and regulations.

The purpose is that the rules and regulations will help your grow in Krishna Consciousness. 

Do you think if you not use soap, it will impair your growth in Krishna Consciousness?

As you grow in KC, you will think of fewer questions like this. Just be practical.

Go on Nagar Sankirtana everyday, if not at least once a week. 

If you did just that, you will be following the instruction of Mahaprabhu and Prabhupada, way ahead of many who consider themselves advanced Vaishnavas and dont go out on Nagara Sankirtana.

( or dont wash with soap Tuesdays and Thursdays, or if they ever use soap, for that matter)

• Hare Krishna,

Thank you for the reply. I cannot agree more with you that praising the lord should be our number one priority.

Hare Krishna.

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna prabhuji,

PAMHO.

In Gaudiya Vaishnavas, it is said that one should take bath twice a day minimum. SOme people take bath 3 times a day. Head bath is prohibited during ekadasi and fast days. Other days no issues. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna,

Thank you for the reply. I am glad I became a member here.

Sincere Thanks,

Hare Krishna

• Well, If you follow Shastras and puranas very well. Then it is said that..

Tuesdays one must avoid doing head baths( abhyangana snanam). 

Thurdays' are also similarly to be avoided for doing abhyangana snanam with soap , shampoo and water.

Wednesdays', and Sundays' are considered good for taking a headbath.

Woman are allowed to take headbath on Fridays'

But Men should avoid taking headbath on Fridays'

It must be noted that Saturdays' are also avoided.  

Thursay Friday, Saturday are to be avoided by men because it is said it removes them of all wealth and blessings of Laxmi and Narayan. as Thursday is the day of Vishnu, Friday is the day of Laxmi, Saturday is the day for Sanishcara. 

After Sanichara day Sunday is best suitable day to wash of all the bad in you. 

Tuesdays are avoided as the bad effects of mangal planet are maximum on that day.

Well broadly speaking in Kaliyug it is not possible to follow all these rituals as per shastras.

As per shastras if u see during this CHATURMASA  PERIOD one must avoid having shave, hair cut ( 4 months) is it possible?

Not all the rules are feasible.

If u are too much ritualistic it become fruitive activities again it become karma kanda. Becoz If one does any action ( karma for benefit of self is all fruitive activities only and it creates bondages only.

One must always do karma for NOT SELFISH PLEASURE , ONE MUST TO DO KARMA EITHER NISHKAAM KARMA OR.. MUST TO DO KARMA TO PLEASE SUPREME PERSONALITY OF GODHEAD.

IN THIS CASE OF AVOIDING HEADBATH IS KARMA KANDA HOW?? BECOZ ALL THIS AVOIDING HEADBATH IS FOR YOUR BENEFIT.> LIKE YOU WANT WEALTH AND YOU WANT HEALTH WHICH IS FOR SELFISH PLEASURE.

DO ONLY KARMAS WHICH PLEASE LORD REST ALL ARE ONLY KARMA KANDA.

you are too much caught up in these and forgetting the main important thing that is chanting the Holy name.

In kaliyug that is why Narad muni prescribed in Kali santaranopanishad only chanting Mahamantra can relieve you of the sins of kali, as no one is clean, no one is following any rituals every minute you do sins in Kali.

The only way is holding to lotus feet of Lord Sri Krishna. Nothing else can remove these day to day sins which we are commiting.

One must keep once body clean..and remember Sri Krishna at all times it only can save us from all uncountable sins.

If possible say.. this sloka in case you feel ur are not clean...

अपवित्रः पवित्रो वा सर्वावस्थां गतोऽपि वा 
    यः स्मरेत्पुण्डरीकाक्षं  बाह्याभ्यन्तरः शुचिः 
    Om Apavitrah Pavitro Vaa Sarva-Avasthaam Gato-[A]pi Vaa |
    Yah Smaret-Punnddariikaakssam Sa Baahya-Abhyantarah Shucih ||

It simply means.. if one is Apavitra (Impure) or Pavitra (Pure), or even in all other conditions, ... He who remembers Pundarikaksha (Another name of Sri Vishnu, literally meaning with Lotus-like Eyes), He becomes Pure outwardly as well as inwardly.

Hare Krishna.

• Thank you for the enlightening reply. I am definitely going to adapt certain principles pertaining to bathing going forward. 

I do chant and pray  regularly with the utmost passion toward the Lord. But was wondering how else can I enhance my devotion and this was one of the areas I wanted to get some answers on.

Sincerere Thanks,

Hare Krishna.

• One more important thing is Brahmins and Veda pandits and Vaishnavites...do 3 times a day bath by dipping in river, they do without applying oil and shampoo and soap. If one applies soap shampoo and apply oil before bathing this is called abhyangana snanam.

Not all days are right for doing this type of full bath procedure.

As you have told.... for doing complete bath with oil , soap and shampoo ( for men) only wednesday, sundays. Best day is Sunday.

rest all days if u are doing very ritualistically you need to take 3 times bath simply dipping in river.

Yes on ekadashi days' we should not take abhyangana snamam ( that is applying oil , soap and shampoo) but u can simply take a bath with water. 3 times a day it is mentioned in shastras to take 3 times.

But in kaliyug it is not possible as I have mentioned.

And it is same in all traditions. ( any sampradaya be gaudiya or sri vaishnava for that matter any sampradaya).

These rules are only applicable for abhyangana snanam ( oil bath complete full bath). Otherwise.. all brahmins and veda pandits take 3 times bath dipping in water from head to toe in the river.

Hare Krishna.

• Mataji, for deity worship at home also, there is a rule that we must bath with clothes on...

How is it possible to expect ourselves clean after such a bath? Practically we need to rub body in order to remove dust, oil etc and thus get clean....

Why such rules?

This reply was deleted.