Associating with "un-KC" family

Haribol, PAMHO

I have been reading Srila Praphupad's books for about two years now and mostly follow the four regulative principles. However, I find it hard to avoid committing sins when I am associating with family members who are very materially engrossed. Being around them seems to make me forget about my spirituality, or I use it as an excuse that since they are doing it, it can't be that bad for me to do it etc., or I rationalize that since I am around them and absorbing they're materialistic "vibes" there's not much point in trying to be disciplined myself.  I sense the dishonesty in this and I think the truth is that my mind will give me any kind of rationale to give in to temptation and there's a part of me that wants to give into it. I have a pattern of being strict with myself one day and then the next day giving in to temptation, then begging Krishna's forgiveness, then having a day of strict adherance but giving in to temptation the next day etc.  I know what I should and shouldn't do, but that doesn't seem to stop me from somehow getting caught up in mode of passion and doing sinful things because everyone else around me is doing it, or I feel bored and don't know what else to do with myself. Whatever the case, I am feeling that I can't continue like this because it is destroying my sanity and my integrity and I am really worried what the consequences will be.

If anybody is reading I would be grateful for any advice about how to deal with this situation. I am wondering if I need to stop associating with my family? I have talked to them about possibly moving into an ashram for an extended period and they were pretty understanding. My only dilemma is that since I have some student loan debts I need to be earning an income. I would ideally like to find someplace where I could earn a living while at the same time having the association of sadhus.

I would be grateful for any advice!
Thank you!

Hare Krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna!

Thank you for the ideas.

It's mostly sometimes having coffee (decaf but it still has caffeine in it)... and eating my mom's baking which has eggs in it, and participating in mundane talk or activities.

I think there's a way to do this ... I'm learning more everyday.  It's just the internal war that I'm fighting with myself everyday and now that I think of it I won't necessarily be safe from temptation even in an ashram! It's my own mind that's my enemy...

• Hare Krishna Daniel prabhu,

Try some KC cookbooks and cook something.These days prabhu ji's cook very good(sometimes better than matajis:-). Have your mother taste them.Sometimes people are simply unaware that you could bake without eggs and have the item come out very delicious.If you can try to create that awareness in your house without any arguments, then you have won half the 'battle'.

Also about the coffee, sometimes family members simply need your company and care less whether you are truly drinking coffee, or tea, or soda. Why not sit next to your mother and let her have her coffee while you drink milk? 

Krishna Consciousness is all about true spirituality, but then Krishna also says in Bhagvad Gita that trying to tell about Krishna to people who are envious of him, is not something which Krishna likes. This way let your mother have her caffeine and eggs, but if you avoid them by simply expressing that this is the way you like, I think we achieve some serious milestones.

This reply was deleted.