Are all names of Krishna equally powerful?

Hare Krishna!

Are all names of Krishna Equally powerful?
As in that Krishna has put his entire potency in the name 'Krishna"
Likewise, is it true for other names such as Shyam, Madhav, Govind, Gopal, and Rama?
Do these names also have the full potency of Krishna?

Also, what about Srimati Radharani's name? Is Radha and Sita Ma also nondifferent from their name?

Haribol!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Prabhu ji,

All names are given by various devotees at different places as per the situation. When Lord killed Mura demon He got Murari name. . When Lord was taking care of cows Lord gets the name Gopala. When Lord were teased by gopikas that He is dark in color complexion was named by them lovingly as Shyam sundar. When people of braj wanted to talk among themselves they used to says oo.. dekho Nand yashoda laal,  some said Yashomati maiiya ke nandalaala. Madhava --" Lord of goddess of fortune"

Lord gets the name Makkan chor when gopi's complained to Yashoda mata ji.  When gopis' got lost their hearts for Lord they called him chit chor.   Lord gets the name Kamalnath /Kamlakar/Kamal nayano wale.. for praising His lotus eyes devotees said like this. Lord is called by the name Neelmani, nilachalwaasi  devotees in Jagannath puri.  In the kingdom of Dwarka he was called Dwarikadeesh.

out of affection mother yashoda called him kanha. Some called him kissna. Brajwaasi said Brajendra Nandan, Nand lala,  RadhaVallaha.  When He left the fight scene and fled the yudh bhoomi He gets the name

Ranchhodh.

Duryodhana always called him Chaliyan and mayaavi. Gopikas when they were heart broken they said this Kanha is Chaliyan( Cheater).   Some old people in braj called Him kanva (or Kanba) as they pet Lord in their laps. 

Poets like bilamangar thakur called his poetry chaurashtakam. He called Krishna as Chor. ( theif).  The gopis said Radhe tu gori gori woh toh kala and woh hai ghanshyam. The one who attracts all with the music of the flute is called Venugopal. Murali wale bole kisine...  Tirche  nayano wale ..bole kisi ne.  Mathura wale bole  Vaasudev ( Vasudev ke bete ).  Devaki nandan bole .. Rukamini vallabh bole..., Hari, Krishna, Janardhana, vasudeva, yadu nandana, gopika vallabha, radha ramana, nand kumara gopala bala muralidhara... shyamsundara.

Yadav bole Yadunandan. Yadhuveera..

Anantha, madhusudhana.  Gopika vallabha, Radha Ramana. Govardhan... Giridhaari

Hrishikesha, manikaanta ,..Rasika.., Yamunaa Pati, Govinda..

Keshava, madhav, Murali mohana. Anirudh, Nirguna, Narayana

Jagathpateh, Jagadeesha, Upendra, Vamana, trivikarma, Achyuta , Ananta.. 

Vyomakeshava, Vishnu, Jayanth , Janardhana, Ajama, achala, vaikuntha natha, ajaya, aaditya, vardhmaana

Vishwa parva,vishwaathma, Vishwadakshina, Vishwakarma, Sahasraksha, Sahasrapata, Saharajita, shanthah, shrestha,

anaadi, aadideva, anayaamruta,

Padma hastha, Padmanabha, Paarthasarathi, Parmatha, Punya, Purushotthama, Parmapurusha, Prajapati., Hiranyagarbha,

Manohara, Kanjalochana, Chaturbhuja, Seshadri nilaya, Venkatesha, Parabrahmana.

Aparajita, sudarshana, Yogi, Yoginaam pati, Aanthajita, 

Sudharshana, Kamsanthaka, Vishwamurti, vishnumurti, narayana, Sanathana... nand gopala, shyamgopal priya, ravilochana, niranjana, manmohaana...radhika priya.. 

sarvatra. sarveshwarara, srikantha, satyavachana, Satyavrata, Golokapati .. Laxmi kantha, Radhakantha ,, Yadavendra, jyothiraaditya, kamalnatha,, jagatguru, jaganntha,,,,,,,,,,,,

mor mukut wale, ..dharmaaadhyakasha, lokadhyaadhyksha,

Saakshi gopla, Chaitayna, Mahaprabhu,.. 

All these are names given as per situation by various devotees. Like you are called by your mother by one pet name father calls you lovingly by some name some near and dear one's can call anything else...

At school/ college you had registered a name,... In office some who hated you called you with some name  nickname... 

so many people gave so many names to Lord in this way. 
    But HIS GIVEN NAME BY GARGA Muni ji was KRISHNA.  Similarly, VASHISHTA Muni ji name Lord Rama.. and Rama is called by many as per their loving affection ....Kausalya putra, Dushrathi ...as per what they see as per the circumsrtances... But the Lord Rama's was the Given name which indicated the avatar name. That name which is shows/ indicates Lord's avatar 

Krishna means the one who is all attractive. .. One who is born in the darkness who brings darkness in the lives of demons. One who is all attractive  dark complexioned who will remove the darkness from the lives of   all the surrendered devotees.  It is most potent. 

lovingly I can call  Krishna Kittu .. sometimes I  call Mr. Krisshu.. It shows my love .. I sometimes call HIM Kat Kitty.  Kannaiah, kanha, kanva.. I mean Him only but Others wont feel the same if I say this .. some devotees may not even understand this love also. They will say what sort of name you are offending Our Lord they may say also Isn't it?

The devotee given names are their own creations " Kale" does is have same potency of Krishna?

If may lovingly call by any nicknames but that only shows ur love..isn't it?

Sawariyan... Saawarein..bihaari........ Bansiwale.... they are all Gopi given names,  but Lord will respond to any name IF HE OR SHE calls out lovingly , but the factor called Love should be there. If you simply call him Kaale kale without Love what does it mean?  it is not having any potency.

Radharani and Sita are non different but at the same time different!!!!

Radha Means Aaradhana shakti. One who is gives Pleasure potency of Sri Krishna. Who is epitome of Aaradhana. 

Sita is epitome of Dasya & Shraddha bhakti. One who gives pleasure to Sri Rama. 

Radha and Sita are potent given names of Mata  ji.

Bhoodevi putrika-- Sita  this name denotes from where She comes out.

Vrishbhanu nandini-- Radha, this name denotes She is daughter of Vrisbhaanu.   these names are not potent but they denote Radha and Sita they are represented in Mahamantra as " Hare" 

Hare Krishna

• Again, Chaitanya, Mahaprabhu.. and nimaai ... His given name was "Vishwambhara " Right?

One thing you should note that the given name was given by great sages and the name indicates the purpose for that Lord's coming to Earth.

Krishna main purpose for coming to Earth -- " Krishna means the one who is all attractive. .. One who is born in the darkness who brings darkness in the lives of demons. One who is all attractive  dark complexioned who will remove the darkness from the lives of   all the surrendered devotees.

Chaitanay Mahprabhu's given name " Vishwambhar"-- One who envelops the whole universe and is all pervading. Isn't He?? Now Krishna's name is even sung across 7 seas to distant lands. BY the grace of  Mahaprabhu, Krishna name became world famous. Name of Lord spread all over the world.

Rama means one who gives pleasure to the eyes and soul.  Word Rama itself gives some sort of comfort just like " Ma" or Mother. Just like for  a baby mother lap is so pleasing& comforting that how pleasing is Lord Rama's name to the ears. 

• Oh wow!
        I thought that I was the only one who gave nicknames. But today I got to know about people like you also that you all have names for him as well :)
        But I didn't tell anyone because I thought it could be disrespectful for others.

By the way, I also Call Krishna with some made-up names like...

'Kichhna Baby'
        'Bro'
        'Bhai'
        'Handsome guy/dude'
        'Bheedu'
        'Radha's Eternal Boyfriend' (For Radha, I call her the 'THE Eternal Girlfriend of Krishna')

• E-Counselor

Srimati Radharani and Srimati Sita devi are non different from Their name. They appear as Mother Hara in the Hare Krsna Mahamantra.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO. 

The second verse of Sri Shikshashtakam is 

namnam akari bahudha nija-sarva-shaktis
    tatrarpita niyamitah smarane na kalah
    etadrishi tava kripa bhagavan mamapi
    durdaivam idrisham ihajani nanuragaha

O my Lord, Your holy name alone can render all benediction to living beings, and thus You have hundreds and millions of names like Krishna and Govinda. In these transcendental names You have invested all Your transcendental energies. There are not even hard and fast rules for chanting these names. O my Lord, out of kindness You enable us to easily approach You by Your holy names, but I am so unfortunate that I have no attraction for them.

All the names of Krsna are powerful. However, the names of the lord are divided into 2 categories, as per Harinaam Chintamani by Srila Haridas Thakur - primary and secondary. Primary names of the lord are on the pastimes of the lord - like Yashoda nandan; Radharaman, whereas secondary names of the lord are on the qualities of the lord - like Achyuta; Ananta; Anadi. The primary names of the lord are more powerful than the secondary names of the lord. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Oh!

But what about names like Madhav or Gopal. Do they also fall under prinary secondary names?

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhu,

PAMHO.

Madhav means killer of Madhu daitya and Gopal means one who tenders cows. Both are related to pastimes of the lord and are therefore primary names of the lord. 

Understand the principle, you will not need to ask.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.