Applying Tilak need help!!!!

Hare Krishna..
All Glories to Lord Krishna..

I am in a great self created dilemma need help.
I strongly want to Apply tilak(i.e want to follow the Tilak ritual).
However as I am yet to
1.get Diksha
2.become pure Non vegetarian , thus confused whether its ok if i  Apply Tilak.

I Have seen my grand Parents Applying Tilak. As kid i used to sit next to my Grandmaa to closely watch her Putting tilak.
few days back i came across http://www.iskconmauritius.com/node/27, that says:

Applying Tilak

One of the most striking aspects of a Vaishnava’s attire is his tilak – the clay markings on his forehead. Srila Prabhupada said that just as a soldier’s regiment can be known by the uniform he wears, similarly a devotee of the Lord must wear tilak on his forehead in all conditions.

Although it is best to wear tilak all the time, some workplaces may not allow it. If a devotee cannot wear tilak to work then he can chant the appropriate mantra and apply ‘water tilak’.

Tilak is worn for both sanctification and protection. When one wears tilak, he is reminded that his body is a temple and should be respected as such. Both body and mind should be kept clean. It also reminds others who see the person wearing tilak of Krishna. There are many different understandings of what the shape of the tilak represents for Vaishnavas, but generally ISKCON devotees accept that the U-shaped mark represents the heel of Lord Krishna, and the oval part represents a Tulasi leaf.

Tilak is made of clay from any sacred place, usually the banks of a sacred river. Gaudiya Vaishnavas usually use cream-coloured clay from a sacred lake near Dwarka, India, called gopi-chandan.

How to apply tilak

Put a little water in the palm of your left hand and mix it with a piece of tilak clay until you get a smooth paste. Or you can keep a small container with tilak soaked in water until it is a creamy paste. Take some gopi-chandan with the ring finger of your right hand and mark your forehead with a vertical line from the root of your nose to your hairline. Use your dampened small finger to remove the excess tilak between the forked lines. Now make the leaf-shaped mark, which should extend from the base of the lines to about three quarters of the way down the nose.

While applying tilak to a particular part of the body, chant the appropriate mantra as shown below:

MANTRA(LOCATION)
om kesavaya namah(forehead)
om narayanaya namah(stomach)
om madhavaya namah(chest)
om govindaya namah(hollow of the throat)
om visnave namah(right side)
om madhusudanaya namah(right upper arm)
om trivikramaya namah(right shoulder)
om vamanaya namah(left side)
om sridharaya namah(left upper arm)
om hrsikesaya namah(left shoulder)
om padmanabhaya namah(upper back)
om damodaraya namah(lower back)

and got to know a little more.Really liked the way it has been described here and want to follow the same.
Tomorrow i am going to Mayapor and thus badly want to have this Beautiful Clay Mark on my forehead.
Can i have???
Please help

Hari Bol.

P.S.- I beg Pardon for asking this question,as some how i feel many people might feel offended, I am really sorry.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna..
    All Glories to Lord Krishna..

Thanks for all the precious advise..
    Yesterday i had a great time at Sridhaam Mayapor.though i didnt wear tilak but it hardly made any difference..

Well, Ashish Prabhuji from the core of my heart i feel that i am a devotee.
    then question arises why i don't give up non-veg????!!!!
    Its not that i don't want to give up,its not that i want to serve my senses.. i am not..non-veg doesn't attract me anymore..i have got some personal reasons..all i can say that i want to serve Him being in Grihast Ashram, and i am not getting that ambiance..thus cant give up..:(
    I know there is nothing called impossible..thus i am trying my level best..and i am sure Sweet Lord will help me..I trust Him..

Hari Bol..

• Hare Krishna!

You will eat non veg no more once you get the taste of Krishna's foods of Pleasure. For sure.

Hari Bol!

• Hare Krishna Mataji !! PAMHO, AGTSP !!

As Srila Prabhupada said that just as a soldier’s regiment can be known by the uniform he wears, similarly a devotee of the Lord must wear tilak on his forehead in all conditions.

So do you think you have become a Soldier i.e. A Devotee, If not than you cant have that privilege, If you really want it badly than resolve that you will follow 4 regulative Principle from today itself and wear the tilak.

As you also read that Tilak is worn for both sanctification and protection. When one wears tilak, he is reminded that his body is a temple and should be respected as such. Both body and mind should be kept clean.

Do you take Non-Veg to Krishna's Temple. No.. na.. So please remember by applying tilak your body will become temple. Dont take Non Veg into it !!!

No the Choice is yours !! Lets see how badly you want it !!

Your Servant

• Hare Krishna

I am too low to have the Lord's lotus feet placed on my head and I'm not that intelligent to properly apply it.

Your servant
    Bhakta David
  • Hare Krishna! 

Apologies prabhu but no one can answer this question on this site ( so far) . Personally I have an opinion on it but I don't want to say it ( maybe others dont want to either) because this isn't about opinions but answers. However there is no special instruction or answer for this.  Maybe you should approach a senior devotee? your mentor? or book distributors /preachers whose opinion is very valid. Or you can simply become vegetarian and then apply tilak.... you definitely do not need diksha, aspiring devotees who are yet to get diksha ( like me) also wear tilak. Infact I apply water tilak every day. 

Your servant : 

Gaura-Priya

• Hare Krishna Mataji,

PAMHO. AGTSP. Some correction in your sentences. Your 2nd point should be pure vegetarian not non vegetrarian..

Your servant

• thanks for correcting.. :P

• Hare Krishna..
    Can someone please help????

This reply was deleted.