A material question, but affects a lot

My humble obeisances to all Vaishnavas.

This discussion is related to a material question.

To take up a profession, which of the two engineering or medical profession is LEAST against Krishna Consciousness.

Because I do not know anything, please ignore my ignorance and help me.

Yours servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ''.But on a higher platform these jobs where we are dictated to by the non devotees, can transform our world in to that of a sudra .Hence get the blessing of a senior devotee whom knows your personal nature and is your well wisher!''.......Actually it is my experience that sincere devotees have no use in  becoming  further entangled in maya, which is the natural consequence of  excepting the service of the non-devotees.Even as a doctor or engineer.You are told what to do according to the dictation of ''demons'' usually.Yes we need a profession if we are unable to surrender to the temple authorities,if we are not cent per cent sincere.If you want krishna part time.... then yes we should pursue training and accept the directions of the non devotees.But if we are sincere..... see if the training as a brahmacari is more beneficial especially when we are young.Thankfully i chose devotional service trainng at 17 years ,i was not told to keep being further implicated in maya.Of course this is an individual choice made in conjunction with a senior devotee whom knows your personal nature and attributes.So many devotees have been lost by accepting the dictation of wifes,family members and demon employers whom are after material enjoyment.Not  your best spiritual interests....are they  interested in pleasing krishna...?If you are dictated to by the demons you become weak spiritually,recently my godbrother came and saw me to preach....he is materially qualified .He has been unable to find a suitable job for seven years.So he has been managing a cleaning company.When the workers do not turn up ,he is forced to clean toilets.He is a personal testimony of how you become degraded ....yes he is acting in the position of a sudra!A brahmana ...a intelligent person even would never have to submit to such nonsense,but he is forced to by the  financial necessities.Why get implicated serve krishna ,but at least get a qualified devotee to give us siksa .....
    • Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

Dandavat pranams.  All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.  All Glories to Sri Guru & Gauranga.

Wonderful article, prabhuji.  It is very nice to read such practical experiences of our lives. It is really educative and devotionally inspiring to me.

Please forgive my offenses and please bless me.

Hari Bol.

• dasanudas prabhu....THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS....may sri chaitanya encourage us to take shelter in his devotional pastimes,such is the path for those sincere to conquer birth and death and will enable us to participate eventually in a spontanious mood of service!
  • Hare Krishna
    @Dasanudas Prabhu
    Actually I asked this question because my father is working as a doctor. But I chose to enter engineering profession due to the fact that MBBS takes 6 years and moreover it takes a lot of time to settle as a doctor, until you have a nursing home or hospital. That is another anxiety. I have joined engineering course but I just wanted to make sure that I am not going to become a sudra permanently that way.

In shastras it is mentioned that brahmanas are expert scholars and physicians. But if the fruits of even engineering profession are offered to the Lord, will they be purified?
    • Renouncing the fruits of our activities is very simple....just give your money.This from personal experience is a very humbling endeavour.Choose a devotee woman whom is trained to serve the gurus desire and will encourage you to give money,your hard earned wealth for your gurus preaching.This will enliven your mundane job,it will spiritualise  your profession to enable you to be a sankirtan devotee of the highest calibre!Using everything in krishnas service is the perfection of our lives.Technically this is suggested by Rupa Goswami as yukta-vairagya!Which is one of the particular utilisations which seperated our Founder archarya Srila Prabhupada from other sadhus and gaudiya vaisnavas....your servant yuga!
      • Hare Krsna,

Dandavat pranams.  All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.  All Glories to Sri Guru & Gauranga.

Hare Krsna, Bhavya Kamboj Prabhuji.  All Glories to you. Your dedication & devotion are wonderfully appreciable, if I could acquire some minute portion also I would consider myself fortunate.

As you have justified your decision of choosing the Engineering profession, specially after seeing your father closely as a doctor.  Your decision is higly appreciable (I feel, the Medical profession also equally good for anyone who wishes to persue it).

By becoming Engineers we will not become Sudras.

As it is said, ' Janmana jayato Sudra, karmana dvija bhava.'

Meaning:  By Birth we are all Sudras,  By karma(activities) we become second born.

As you have rightly said ," But if the fruits of even engineering profession are offered to the Lord,

So Engineer or Doctor, everyone will become Sudra if we dont offer the fruits of our profession to the Lord.  They are doomed to hell.

The Vaishnavs are above the Brahmanas also. 

In the initial few slokas of Srimad Bhagvatam it is very nicely explained how Sukhdev Goswami, without any initiation or purifying brahmana diksha just starts walking towards the forest.  His father Srila Vyasdev runs behind him to get him some purificatory process to become a Brahmana.  So it is very beautifully explained how Vaishnavs are already beyond the material entanglement labels of Brahamana-Sudra, etc. They are on the Transcedental level (Brahma-bhuta).

'Brahma bhuta prassana-atma na sochati na kankshati..'

Srila Prabhupada has made a family where we all can live and go back to Godhead.  If we are on the boat of Krsna Consciousness we will cross the ocean. 

If we are serving in the mission of Srila Prabhupada everything will be purified. 

Grahasta Engineers, do jobs, they earn big salaries.  Thats great.

So some part of our earnings, say 5%,10%, 20%.. whatever, we engage in the service of Krsna.

Ideally 50% of earnings are engaged in the service of Krsna.

25% Saved in Bank - for future

25%  Spent on monthly expenditure.

(This is the ideal, set up by our Aacharyas Srila Rupa & Santana Goswami). 

The whole point is if a percentage of salary/earnings is engaged in the service of the Lord, by a Engineer a doctor or lawyer, politician, policeman, sweeper or drona-seller like Kolavecha Sridhar. It purifies our existence our everything.

And what to speak of Brahmachari Engineers.  There is so many examples of our great Vaishnava Brahamachari Engineers from the best institues in our country, who have dedicated their lives in serving the mission of Srila Prabhupada.

'Pavitro aapavitro va pavitra..'

Anything pavitra or apvitra (pure or impure), if offered to the Lord, it becomes pure.  The Lord is purifying, the Lord purifies everything.

So whatever profession fruits we offer to the Lord, the Lord is so merciful He will purify us.

Please forgive my offenses and Please Bless me.

Prabhuji, just wish to make a disclosure, I am a Grahasta doctor by profession.

Hari Bol.  Dandavats. 

• Hare Krsna,

I personaly feel, Medical Profession is a Krsna Consciousness profession.  As a doctor, one is always surrounded by disease and death.  Also birth and old age is very closely seen by a doctor, on a daily basis.

I feel, becoming engineers and then getting into the materialistic rat race of the corporate finance world and the whole material world.  At least it is better to be doctors and live close to life, nature and serving people directly. 

Ofcourse the choice is finally Krsna's.  We must do our best for both streams, and wait and watch what plans Krsna has for our futures.

Hari Bol.  Dandavats.

• Thank you all for your valuable replies
  • Taking a proffession is according to the nature of the individual,do not worry about wether it is against krishna conciousness,since our every ability ,every nature,every  thought and service  meets its perfection in serving krishna and the vaisnavas!Everything we posess is  krishna's,and when we are advanced we will be satisfied in being his instrument!Yes it is necessary to create a civilised home environment for most of us,yes krishna  is in need of saintly doctors ,architects and engineers to help serve his empowerred servants the spiritual master.But on a higher platform these jobs where we are dictated to by the non devotees, can transform our world in to that of a sudra .Hence get the blessing of a senior devotee whom knows your personal nature and is your well wisher!

• Thank you prabhu. I will.
This reply was deleted.