Hare Krishna!
Please accept my humble obeisance. All glories to Srila Prabhupada,

One of relatives is reading in class X and he is forced by his science teacher in school to kill a living frog to cut it's body (by pinning its hands and legs on a wax board) only to see what is inside the body. And this is weekly practical class for him. Even I remember in my earlier days, I have done this several times when I did not think deeply about the soul. But now as a KC I don't want him to do this.

How can I tell him or his teacher? I know this is a mandatory class for the student. This should not be done even in school, since the frog is alive. if it's dead then this could be accepted.

Just your Servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Sagar Prabhuji, by quoting these verses, are you trying to justify unnecessary violence by innocent school children ?

Given other means of educating children, there is no need to cull the innocent frogs and torture them. 

• BG 4.17: The intricacies of action are very hard to understand. Therefore one should know properly what action is, what forbidden action is, and what inaction is.

BG 4.18: One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction, is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position, although engaged in all sorts of activities.

BG 13.20: Material nature and the living entities should be understood to be beginningless. Their transformations and the modes of matter are products of material nature.

BG 13.21: Nature is said to be the cause of all material causes and effects, whereas the living entity is the cause of the various sufferings and enjoyments in this world.

BG 13.22: The living entity in material nature thus follows the ways of life, enjoying the three modes of nature. This is due to his association with that material nature. Thus he meets with good and evil among various species.

BG 13.27: O chief of the Bhāratas, know that whatever you see in existence, both the moving and the nonmoving, is only a combination of the field of activities and the knower of the field.

BG 5.14: The embodied spirit, master of the city of his body, does not create activities, nor does he induce people to act, nor does he create the fruits of action. All this is enacted by the modes of material nature.

BG 13.30: One who can see that all activities are performed by the body, which is created of material nature, and sees that the self does nothing, actually sees.

• Dear Sagar Prabhuji, by misinterpreting and quoting out of context, the words of scriptures, you can justify any kind of sin. 

As regards violence, the final word of scriptures is "Ahimsa Parmo dharma". In Mahabharata war, the scenario was different. Here, the scenario is different. If these children can be educated about the biology of frogs in a non-violent manner, it is the best alternative than torturing the frogs and other animals used for experimentation purposes.

Kindly refer to this link for learning about the torture :

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-experimentation/classro... 

• Dear Prabhuji, i am not motivating the frog killing, instead i am trying to free from the reaction of work. Even a man of knowledge acts according to his own nature, for everyone follows the nature he has acquired from the three modes. What can repression accomplish?
            The sacrifice performed in knowledge is better than the mere sacrifice of material possessions. As a blazing fire turns firewood to ashes, so does the fire of knowledge burn reactions of work
            so, if we are forced to perform the frog sacrifice then it will be done with knowledge so it would be no more less than performing horse sacrifice (aśvamedha-yajña) ...
            • Prabhuji, how can you expect little school children to possess knowledge of Karma-Yoga ? 

And, I have never heard of a 'frog-sacrifice' ! By inventing such a sacrifice, are you creating a false religion ?

Further, sacrifices mentioned for Kshatriyas are for curbing their excessive violent tendencies. Bhagvatam says even such sacrifices entangles one in karmic reactions.  

• Dear Rajdip Prabhuji,

Methods such as narrated software programs with physiology animations or well-labeled anatomical models allow students to learn more efficiently without being distracted by the gore of cutting up dead animals and trying to differentiate the discolored body parts. Studies show that students prefer these alternatives and find them to be a more enjoyable learning tool. 

Hence, you can tell your relative to remain adamant about not perform such gruesome acts and can convince school authorities to use more humane methods. 

Learn more about the alternatives to dissection :

http://www.teachkind.org/dissectalt.asp

• Volunteer

Oh such a nice idea! Interesting why universities in India do not apply it i mean this animation teachings?

If we kill frogs then we have to take birth as frogs and frogs will take birth as students ...in this way cycle of birth and death.

Your servant,

• Schools and universities do not use these educational software because either they lack knowledge of existence of such software or they lack ethics and hence don't care for innocent lives. 

This reply was deleted.