3 strands of Tulsi mala

Hare Krishna to All Vaishnava Devotees

Can uninitiated devotees - (but who are maintaining 4 regulative principles and chanting 16 rounds) wear three strands of tulsi mala?

i am already wearing one strands of Tulsi  mala which i bought from Vrindavan and got from the hands of priest of the Nidhivan temples and after offerring it to the dieties

...i heard from many devotees that three strands is only for initiated devotees... please give more information on this.

Hari Bol!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna,
    Dear respectful friends Im reading bhagavadh Gita as it is ,but some next to viswaroopa 13th chapter it's slightly difficult to understand it, so friends can you send the link of or bhagavadh Gita audio full explanation with slookas
  • my main question is - can an uninitiated devotee wear three strands?

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna dear Mataji,

PAMHO.

Pls wear 3 strands if you are comfortable and able to follow as mentioned by Krsna Dasa prabhuji. I was wearing 3 strands before initiation.

Krsna is not petty - he is not counting how many rounds of tulsi beads we have on our necks - he is only checking our level of surrender to Him.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• 2541721486?profile=original

The messengers of Yama will flee away by the sight of the Tulsi beads just as leaves are blown off by wind.

In Skanda-puran it is stated : Those who wear neck beads made of Tulsi after offering them to Sri Hari are definitely foremost among the devotees of Lord.

Those fools who wear Tulsi beads without offering them to Hari will definitely go to hell.

After presenting the mala, it should be purified with panca-gavya ; after that the mula -mantra should be recited followed by the recitation of the gayatri mantra eight times. Touching them with incense, worship with this Sadyojata-mantra with utmost devotion: Om sadyojatah prapadyami sadyojataya vai namo namah Bhave tave nadi bhave bhajeswamam bhavod-bhavaya namah After that, this prayer should be made, "Oh! Mala ! You are made of Tulsi and are dear to Vaisnavas . I wear you around my neck; you make me dear to Sri Krishna. 'Ma' means 'me', 'La' means 'to give'. Oh Hari-Vallabhe ! You have given me to the Vaisnava devotees, hence you are known as mala .

Those Vaisnavas who pray in this manner and first offer the mala to Sri Krishna should then put them around ones neck and will attain the Lotus feet of Sri Vishnu."

It is stated in Padma Purana : either during morning ablutions, bathing, eating or at any state which is clean or unclean, Tulsi must be worn; this means mala should not be removed under any circumstance.

Shastras say: Tulsi mala should always be worn as yajna-sutra or like the sacred thread. Those who remove Tulsi mala even for a moment are considered to be Vishnu-drohi.

http://www.indiadivine.org/content/topic/1312827-why-should-i-bothe...

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna,
    My obeisances to all devotees, guru and gauranga.

The below info is taken from the Vaishnava Etiquette manual.

Kanthi Mala (Tulasi Neck Beads)

All the devotees who are initiated must wear kanthi mala in at least two or three rounds. The mala should be wrapped around the base of the throat and should be clearly visible.

Devotees who are not initiated but have been following all the regulative principles for some time and who desire to take diksa may also wear kanthi mala.

Tulasi beads worn around the neck indicate a devotee's surrender to the Lord, and therefore a person wearing tulasi beads around his neck is dear to the lord.

However, a person is an offender if he wears tulasi neck beads simply to imitate a Vaisnava but is not seriously trying to surrender to the lord. It is advisable not to wear beads if one is not following four regulative principles.

Once the kanthi mala is worn, even onion and garlic should not pass down the throat.

I asked a prabhu regarding kanthi mala and he said if one is not initiated its better to wear 2 strands tulsi neck beads.

Chant and be happy.

Srila prabhupada ki jai..

Hare krsna

• Hare Krishna
      Prabhu ji, thank you for the elaborated answer...things have become clear to me.

• Yes, generally initiated devotees wear 3 strands of tulsi mala but if an uninitiated devotee likes then can wear it . No issues in that . I am not sure if there is any restriction based on Goswami books . 

• Hare Krishna Gopal Krishna prabhu , thank you for your help.

This reply was deleted.