14 year olds and Ekadashi

Hare Krishna Everyone

PAMHO

Recently I found out about Ekadashi and decided that I wanted to do it. 36 hours of no eating and 24 hours of no drinking. When I went to my parents to ask them they said that I was too young and that I was still growing. They said I could partake with milk and fruits but I want to partake in a full fast. Am I allowed to partake in a full fast and is it fine if I eat fruits and milk? I just want to get closer to Shri Krishna and I just started my journey.

Thank you for your time, Sincerely, Bhanu Prakash Talluri

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Your mother is right, no need to fast for 36 hours. please eat on dashami as well as dwadasi. In fact, there is parana time mentioned each dwadasi. This is the time range when one has to break fast on dwadasi. Dwadasi is for feasting. Please eat properly.

You are too young. You will have pressure of exams and later higher studies. The purpose of ekadasi is to remember the lord more that time. 

You can have milk, curd, fruits and dry fruits. You can have anukalpa foods - potato and few sabjis allowed. Your mother may know.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• 36 hours of no eating: Where does this idea come from? One should eat on Dasami in the evening, then follow Ekadasi and then break on Dvadasi. So it's only 24h fast, with an option of anukalpa (HBV 12.91). For age interval (8-80 ys) see HBV 12.75. For complete info on Ekadasi see HBV ch. 12-13.

Hari Hari
    ys J.

This reply was deleted.