Panakam is a traditional Indian cool drink best suited for summer. The main ingredients of this popular drink which can be prepared instantly are jaggery, ginger and black pepper making it rich with medicinal value.
Kosambari, a type of salad, normally a mixture of urad dal, cucumber, coconut and green chilies makes an ideal pair with panaka.
These two preparations are especially popular as prasadam which is served on Rama Navami by volunteers in many temples as is customary. The food and beverages served not only make the day special, but also prove ideal to beat the heat.
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Powdered Cardamom - 1 tsp
- Musk Melon (peeled and chopped) - 1 cup
- Lemon - 1 tsp
- Cold Water – 3 glasses
1. Dissolve jaggery powder with water by stirring.
2. Add chopped pieces of musk melon and give it a stir. You can also mash few cubes to make the drink thicker.
3. Add cardomom powder & lemon juice and stir. The panaka is refreshing when it is served fresh and cold.
- Split moong dal - 1 cup soaked for 45 mins
- Freshly grated coconut - 1 cup
- Finely chopped cucumber - 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Lemon - 1/2 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – pinch
- chopped Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Green chilies split into two halves– 2 to 3
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
1. Soak moong dal not longer than an hour.
2. Separate the moong dal from water and add grated coconut, chopped cucumber and green chilies.
3. To prepare seasoning first heat the kadai and keep it in medium flame. Add oil and when it is hot, throw in mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad dhal. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
4. Pour the seasoning over the preparation and sprinkle hing.
5.Add salt as required and pour lemon juice and mix well. To garnish add chopped coriander.