- Besan - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Sour buttermilk 2 cups or Sour yoghurt - 1 ½ cup +water 1 ½ cup
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder - ¼ tsp
- Green chili & ginger paste1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Pinch of asafetida
- Fresh coconut gratings - 2 tsp
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Grease the bottoms of 2 -3 big steel plates with enough oil before beginning the procedure to make Khandvi batter.
- In a mixing bowl combine besan with yoghurt, water, turmeric, red chili powder, green chili and ginger paste and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps formed.
- Use a hand blender or a balloon whisk / beater. The batter has to be watery like the dosa batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan on low flame & add 1 tbsp of oil.
- To this add the batter & cook it on medium flame by stirring continuously for 10 minutes.
- Remove from gas.
- The batter’s consistency should be more or less the same as before.
- Pour ladleful of batter on the steel plate surface & spread the batter in circular motion like making a dosa.
- Let the batter cool down completely.
- Cut out strips of the cooled batter.
- Roll the strips & arrange them on a plate to pour the seasoning.
- Prepare the seasoning by heating 2 tsp of oil in a pan.
- Add asafetida & mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add sesame seeds & wait till they turn slightly brown.
- Remove from flame & pour the seasoning on the arranged Khandvis.
- Before serving, sprinkle red chili flakes, fresh coconut gratings or dry coconut powder & coriander leaves.