Please accept my humble obeisance. All glories to Srila Prabhupada
Why should we offer worship to Bhagavan by austerities like *Nama-japam* , *Pooja* , etc ? . Isn't it sufficient just to remember Him always ?.
Srimad Ramayanam's *Aranyakandam* section, contains *Lakshmanopadesam* ( Advice to Lakshmana) . Sri Rama, Sita-devi and Lakshmana were living in the forest . One day, Lakshmana requested Sri Rama to advise about the universal principle.
Sri Rama first describes the *Yoga-Maya* ( Bhagavan's illusionary potency) that operates the universe. Then He says:
· " Bhakti is the best option to attain *Mukti* ( ultimate liberation from birth and death).
· Though we have eyes, we still need light to see at night . So to see with the inner-eye, Bhakti is necessary . How do we attain Bhakti ? . By associating with the Bhaktas.
· What we hear from others, grows in our mind as worldly desires . When we associate with Bhaktas, most our talks are about Bhakti related matters. So our mind will be thinking more about Bhakti . To consolidate this thought in mind, we need to perform austerities like Deity-worship involving, fasting, Puja, Nama-japam, etc .
· Puja, bowing down, thinking about Bhagavan, becoming a servant to Bhagavan, etc followed by enjoying of His tasty *Prasadam* result in the blossoming of Bhakti . Such efforts should come from Bhakta. Then *Jnanam* ( knowledge) and *Vijnanam* ( practical applications of such knowledge) automatically manifest in the mind . This will enable the Bhakta to attain *Mukti* ( ultimate liberation from birth and death) .
Bhagavan Sri Rama advises Lakshmana to teach the above principle to other all Bhaktas even without being asked .
Bhagavan Sri Krishna says this in Bhagavad Gita ( 12.5-9) :
· "Those people meditating the Brahman (formless Brahman) , experience great difficulty because it is very troublesome for the embodied Men to concentrate on the formless un-manifested Brahman .
· But, to Krishna-bhaktas who worship Me as `Personal God' , surrendering all actions to Me ; setting Me as their supreme goal, and meditating on Me with single minded devotion ; I give swift deliverance from this ocean of birth and death.
· So, fix your mind on Me, and establish your intelligence in Me alone. Then you will abide solely in Me. There is no doubt about it."
· To steadily fix the mind on Me, then seek to attain Me through the yoga of repeated Spiritual practice (such as a repetitive `ritual' like Nama-japam)."