1. One day, the priest of the Yadu dynasty, namely Gargamuni, who was highly elevated in austerity and penance, was inspired by Vasudeva to go see Nanda Maharaja at his home.
2. Nanda duly received him and said, “You are versed in the Vedas. The science of astrology has been propounded by you. Please perform the naming ceremony of these two boys (Krsna and Balaram).”
3. Gargamuni said: My dear Nanda Maharaja, I am the priestly guide of the Yadu dynasty. This is known everywhere. Therefore, if I perform the purificatory process for your sons, Kamsa will consider Them the sons of Devaki.
4. Nanda Maharaja said: My dear great sage, if you think that your performing this process of purification will make Kamsa suspicious, then secretly chant the Vedic hymns and perform the purifying process in the cow shed of my house, without the knowledge of anyone else, even my relatives, for this process of purification is essential.
5. Having thus been especially requested by Nanda Maharaja to do that which he already desired to do, Gargamuni performed the name-giving ceremony for Krsna and Balarama in a solitary place.
6. Gargamuni said: This child, the son of Rohini, will give all happiness to His relatives and friends by His transcendental qualities. Therefore He will be known as Rama. And because He will manifest extraordinary bodily strength, He will also be known as Bala. Moreover, because He unites two families--Vasudeva's family and the family of Nanda Maharaja--He will be known as Sankarsana.
7. Your son Krsna appears as an incarnation in every millennium. In the past, He assumed three different colors--white, red and yellow--and now He has appeared in a blackish color.
8. For many reasons, this beautiful son of yours (Krsna) sometimes appeared previously as the son of Vasudeva. Therefore, those who are learned sometimes call this child Vasudeva.
9. For this son of yours (Krsna) there are many forms and names according to His transcendental qualities and
10. To increase the transcendental bliss of the cowherd men of Gokula, this child Krsna will always act auspiciously for you. And by His grace only, you will surpass all difficulties.
11. O Nanda Maharaja, as recorded in history, when there was an irregular, incapable government, Indra having been dethroned, and people were being harassed and disturbed by thieves, this child Krsna appeared in order to protect the people and enable them to flourish, and He curbed the rogues and thieves.
12. Demons [asuras] cannot harm the demigods, who always have Lord Visnu on their side. Similarly, any person or group attached to Krsna is extremely fortunate. Because such persons are very much affectionate toward Krsna, they cannot be defeated by demons like the associates of Kamsa [or by the internal enemies, the senses].
13. In conclusion, therefore, O Nanda Maharaja, this child of yours is as good as Narayana. In His transcendental qualities, opulence, name, fame and influence, He is exactly like Narayana. You should all raise this child very carefully and cautiously.
14. After Gargamuni, having instructed Nanda Maharaja about Krsna, departed for his own home, Nanda Maharaja was very pleased and considered himself full of all good fortune.