Event date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - Saturday, May 15, 2010
This may be useful to you or your Recommended Vows for Purusottama Month
Please note that these are the recommended vratas described in Padma Purana Purusottama Mahatyam. We are sure Prabhupada will help you honor this month nicely.
The main vrata is to worship Radha Krishna Yugala
Rise Brahma-muhurta DAILY (bm means one hour before sunrise till one hour; if sunrise at 6am then bm starts 4:30 goes to about 5 a.m.) Means taking rest EARLY night before.
Take vow to REMAIN TRUTHFUL for whole month.
Careful not to BLASPHEME any devotee,sastra, brahmin, cows, saints, or one observing the Purusottama Vrata.
1. Fixed increased chanting 25, 32, 64,128 rounds daily!
2. Hearing hari katha (Study Krishna Book (chapters dealing with Vraja lila and Krishna meeting gopis at kuruksetra) SB & CC specifically desc. RK guna and lila) and/or speaking daily hari-katha
3. Worshiping Radha Krishna, which means, unless you have deity with you, then daily offer fresh first class lotus or rose plus tulasi garlands to Radhe Shyam photo or painting of Radha-Govinda Yugal.
*if worship Salagrama (could apply to Radha-Govinda also) offer 100,000 tulasi leaves and achieve "unlimited merit beyond the powers of Brahma to describe."
4. Sing bhajans and kirtans specifically glorifying Yugala Kishora.
Such as Jaya Radha Madhava; Radhe jaya jaya madhava dayite; radha-krishna prana mora; Radha-krpa kataksa (in back our radhakunda book or in Giti Guccha song book; also sing Nandanandana Astakam (also in Giti Guccha song book); jaya radha madana mohan.. sanatana prana dhana he; jaya madhava madana murari radhe shyam shyama shyam; radha-krsna bol bol bolo re sobhai; vrndavana ramya sthana; tulasi arotik prayers with deep prayer of
longing and meditation;
5. MUST OFFER Daily GHEE (pure cow's ghee only) lamp to Radha-Krishna Deity or photo.
6. Bathe DAILY in Yamuna around sunrise. Or if not in holy land then pour drops on head from bottle of Radha-kunda water or Yamuna after offering obeisances and prayers to Radha-kunda or Yamuna.
7.Eating--Fast till noon and eat only fruits or just vegetables without any beans or grains. (like ekadasi preps for one month!) once a day if you can. Or just eat mahaprasadam, full to neck ONCE A DAY. Take a vow according to your capacity to follow, and in no condition can one break his vow in the middle of the month.
Fasting from tomatoes, eggplant, loki, parmal, sesame, mustard seeds & oil, honey, urad-dahl, as in Kartik.
No shaving for brahmacaris and sannyasis
How To Break The Purusottama Vrata After One Month?
1. Worship Radha-Govinda and chant this mantra: "O Supreme Lord! O Sanatana! O Purusottama! O Lord Hari! I offer my obeisances unto You. May You and Your beloved Srimati Radhika please accept my offerings. I offer my repeated obeisances unto Radha-Syamasundara, who wears effulgent yellow garments on His beautiful body."
2. Offer pushpanjali and dandavats to Radhe-Syama.
3. Give charity to 3,5,7,9, 11 brahmanas to best of your ability.
**Best charity to give Srimad Bhagavatam to qualified Vaisnava devotee brahmana. This charity will deliver all you forefathers to Goloka dhama and the association of Lord Purusottam!
***Other recommended gifts: new clothes, gold (rupees, bucks, pounds), two pairs of new shoes
4. Feed brahmanas with prasadam
Special Actions at End of Month:
1. If not bathed in sacred waters---nullify reaction by donating milk and yogurt to brahmanas
2. If eat rice, wheat, fruits,oil, or ghee during P.M.-give charity to brahmanas (as mentioned above)
3. If eat on leaf plates for month-then feed brahmanas with ghee and sugar.
4. Not cut hair and nails for P.M.-give mirror to one brahmana.
5. Broke any Rules During Purusottama Month: Must feed brahmanas with different kinds of sweet juice. (sugar cane, oj, grape, etc)
Benefits Of Observing Purusottama Vrata
1. All the holy places in the world come to reside in your body.
2. One who observes Purusottama Month with faith and devotion will go back home, BTG to serve Radha-Govinda eternally in Goloka Vrndavana at the end of his life!
These are the recommended vratas described in Padma Purana Purusottama Mahatyam. We are sure Prabhupada will help you honor this month nicely.