Connecting Devotees Worldwide - In Service Of Srila Prabhupada
|An Appeal About Us Donate Contact Us|
Hello friends! Here I will share some of my views on helping a suicidal friend.
Generally suicidal individual’s gives warning signals they express it explicitly and sometime it's very subtly expressed
Before that I would like to clear out some suicide misconceptions:
1. Those People who talk about suicide will not commit it only
Studies shows Almost 70-80% suicidal will say before taking the ultimate action
2. People who try to kill themselves must be crazy.
Mostly suicidal people are not crazy or mentally ill rather they are so trapped by unbearable negative thoughts, people and surroundings
3. No one can stop If a person decides to kill himself/herself
This is quite a narrow minded mentality, isnt it definitely if you desire you get the power to uplift anyone, right
4. People who commits suicide are those people who were unwilling to seek help.
Studies of suicide victims have shown that more than half had asked for medical help in the six months prior to their deaths.
Now we come to the point of
1. Talking/ writing about suicide: this is the foremost warning signal. Any guy/girl seriously talking about suicide, posting the thoughts online, onto the social media just doesn’t take it jokingly.
2. Seeking out harmful means seeking access to gun, drugs, cutter, ropes and so on hoodoo just keep your watch on them because they are on the way setting their mind.
3. Self-hatred & self-harm: they start hating themselves so much so that they really don’t care about hurting themselves badly
4. Withdrawing from other people
They get isolated from social crowd unexpectedly and start living most of the time alone
5. Saying goodbye: They give Unusual or unexpected visits or calls to family, friends. Saying goodbye
We saw the suicide misconception, warning signals now let us move on to prevention measures
Prevention 1: face to face talking
When talking to a suicidal person
Offer hope. Let the person know that he/she is important to you.
prevention 2: Offer active help and support
Accepting positive vibrations positive people and discarding negative people. Accepting healthy lifestyle habits like healthy diet, exercises, good sleep, devoting some little time of the day in prayers etc.
After all we all are in one greatest need that is love. Do everything possible which will show your unconditional love and care to your suicidal friend, make them believe that he/she occupies an important place in your life and keep praying for them.
I hope this video helps.
Thank you very much,