Time and day for breaking the vrata
After discussions with Jananivas prabhu, Aindra prabhu and Devarishi prabhu
it has been concluded the time for breaking the Purushottam mas vrata would
be as follows:
The vrata should be broken on amavasya (new moon) day which is 13th May
before the amavasya finishes. After observing the regular vows that one has
been specially following for Purushottma month for that particular day one
has to break the vrata.
Amavasya finishes differently for each time zone. In some places it ends at
5pm, some at 9pm, some the following day on 14th 2am, or 5am or 6.30am, or
9am. Considering the safe side universally it is better to break the fast on
13th before 5pm after observing all your vows for that day.
Breaking the vrata
1. After taking bath, worship Radha-Syamasundara Deities or Picture, and
chant this mantra: "O Supreme Lord, O Sanatana, O Purusottama, O Lord Hari !
I offer my obeisances unto you. May you and your beloved Radhika, please
accept my offerings. I offer my repeated obeisances unto Radha-Syamasundara,
who wears effulgent yellow garments on His beautiful body."
2. Offer puspanjali and obeisances to Radha-Syamasundara Deities or
3. Feed and give charity to 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 brahmanas to your best ability
(e.g., new clothes, two pairs of shoes, Laksmi). The best charity is to give
a Srimad Bhagavatam to a qualified grhastha vaisnava brahmana. This act will
deliver all your ancestors to spiritual world and the association of Lord
**SPECIAL BREAKING ACTIONS**
1. If you ate fruits, ghee, rice, wheat etc, donate the same to brahmanas.
2. If you slept on the floor, give a bed and pillows to a brahmana.
3. If you ate on a leaf plate, feed brahmanas with ghee and sugar.
4. If you didn't cut nails or hair, donate a mirror to a brahmana.
5. If you offered ghee lamps, give new lamps and pots to a brahmana.
6.* If you broke any rules or regulations during Purusottama vrata, feed
different sweet juices to brahmanas.
7. Lord Siva says that the best charity is: "Fill a bell metal pot with
thirty malpuas, bind the pot with seven new threads and give to a worthy
Hari-bhakti-vilasa (Vol 4, Vs 437): "During Purusottama month, one
should remember Lord Krsna and then donate thirty three milk cakes cooked in
ghee [malpuas] to grhastha brahmanas, who are well versed in sastras.
Failing to do so, one loses all the piety he accumulated in the previous
Please kindly visit below blog for further reading of significance of this fast!!
All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!!
First time hearing about the Purusottama fast. Please let me know more about the significance of this fast!!