"Nav Samvat Ki Naval Chandni, Jag Me Nav Sanchar Bhare.Nav Asha Ke Kalash Sajakar, Mangalmay Sansar Kare."*Nootan Varsh 2068 Mangalmay Ho*IntroductionNav Varsh Samvat is observed in all the major states of North India and is also known as Chaitra Shukladi.It is celebrated on the first day after the No Moon (Amavasi) in Chaitra Month or Chaitra Shukala Pratipada (March – April).The Hindi New Year is based on lunar calendar and therefore the date changes every year.Hindu New year Samvat 2068 will start from 4th April, 2010.LegendThe story behind the origin of Hindu New Year is related to the legendary Hindu King Vikramaditya who used to rule in 57 BC.The legend says, once King Gardabhilla, a ruler in 12th century CE seized a nun named Saraswati.She was the sister of the famous Jain monk Kalakacharya. The feeble monk hunted help of the Saka ruler in Sakasthana to conquer Gardabhilla. He was defeated and enthralled by the Saka King.Though he was released later on but Gardabhilla go off to the forest where he was killed by a tiger. When his son, Vikramaditya grew up he invaded Ujjain and thrust out the Sakas. Thus, to celebrate this event, he observed a new epoch called Vikram Samvat.CelebrationsIndia is a secular country. Many religions and cultures are present here; thus various festivals of different religions are being celebrated. Hindu New Year is celebrated with gaiety and pomp throughout India.Though the vim and vigour of the festival is seen everywhere but it more verve in the people of North India and Gujarat. New Year in Southern India also emphasizes the Hindu New Year but the date and New Year traditions vary.People light oil lamps. They decorate the house with pink, red, purple or yellow fresh flowers which are considered auspicious colours. Rangoli design is also made on the floor outside the house, it is indeed very attractive part of New Year decorations.People get up early in the morning, take bath and wear new clothes. The Goddess of wealth, Lakshmi and lord Ganesha are brought home and people welcome them by singing songs in their praise. Prayers are offered to the deities and prasad is distributed among all the family members and neighbours. People exchange gifts and sweets with each other on this merry occasion of New Year.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A very Happy and safe Diwali to all the members. This group has brought us togerther from many different places. I wish I could draw all the popular sankranthi muggulu with chukkalu along with my mother in front of our homes to attract our guest who visit during the festival.

Sankranthi muggulu with chukkalu
    Top collection of sankranthi muggulu with chukkalu to be drawn during the festival competations of sankranthi.
  • A very Happy Diwali to one and all.Even me at the time of Diwali Festival used to draw rangoli designs in ftont of our house and offer prayers to mata Lakshmi to receive her blessings in the form of wealth and devotion.

This reply was deleted.