My question to all group members is how did you first learn of Krishna consciousness? What is your personal story line in becoming a devotee? What inner spiritual, philosophical leanings or yearnings first prompted you to take to the path of Bhakti Yoga and devotional service?

Where do you feel that you are in your journey today? Have you held onto you original inspiration?

Are you where you would like to be?

What and how do you feel Krishna truly wants you to serve Him?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Haribol Manoj,

Well, like many people in America of my generation (I am now 50 years old). We grew up

listening to the Beatles and in many ways, they were our teachers in the ways of understanding this life. From there it grew. I was listening to All things must pass and the concert for Bangladesh when I was 10 and 11 years old. So the little Krishna consciousness seeds were being planted simply due to my attraction to the music. From there I used to see the Hare Krishna's all around New York City back then, so I started becoming familiar and comfortable with their presence. Then when times were hard and painful, I started to actually gravitate towards the devotees and starting inquiring about the Krishna's message and books. It was like one drop of water at a time slowly and steadily filling my cup.

Now I see all these years later that it was all part of Krishna's plan and design to accomplish His will through all of these processes. The bottom line is that I was ready for Krishna's message and gladly received it. When George sang "I really want to see you Lord" , He wasn't joking, and he was singing that line on behalf of all the rest of us who ourselves got the opportunity to finally see Krishna in this lifetime.

I love and offer all glories to the Satsang, the Spiritual masters and Guru Dev.

All glories to Lord Sri Krishna, to Sri Sri Radha Govinda, to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Ki Jai!

Haribol !

• Haribol, John Prabhu,

That was a nice read. Great realizations put in simple words!

Hari Hari!

• Hi Manoj. No, I haven't. I'm still pretty new to all of this.:-)
    • Haribol, Rashi Mataji, Thats ok. When you want to take a break from work or say you plan a vacation, try to visit these holy places in India where you can see how KC is a way of life in the villages.Interestingly, the way of temple worship is slightly different, especially in the South. You could read more on this here: http://www.indiadivine.org/

Haribol

• This is a weird question for me: I've known about ISKCON superficially for a very, very long time (as the "Hare Krishnas"), really since my teenage years. But does that mean I was in touch with "Krishna Consciousness"?:-)

My first conscious experience with KC probably stems from reading about Bhakti Tirtha Swami. I'd been looking for members of ISKCON of African descent on the web and discovered him.  This was only  a few months ago.

I'm not a devotee: I feel as if I have a lot more I need to learn about ISKCON before even considering that path. One of the issues I'm slightly concerned about is the supposed treatment of blacks in ISKCON. I've read a couple of blog posts about this, but out of respect for the forum I won't post them here.  I guess that's my real issue: When I read about ISKCON proper, meaning the official texts and so on, it really speaks to my heart. But, when I read reports of the actions of some of the members (concerning not just blacks, but women as well), I'm confused. 

But perhaps this goes for all religions.:-)

• Hare Krishna my friend,

If you want to join ISKCON as a congregant, and side-step all the political and gossip-news issues, then join the Congregation through the Shiksha Program.  This is a multi-level program where different stages of devotion can be expressed. and it is keeps you independent of your stated concerns.

I have been a friend to this Hare Krsna movement for 25 years, and never have I been concerned with the overall behaviour of the movement.  I agree with you; in ALL religions there are problems, so.. come on in, the water's fine!

• Hi Prabhu Matthew!

I read your story and it was pretty much just like mine. I take it by your name, that you were also born and raised a nice Christian boy, as I was. I'm very happy to see a nice young man who came to this Krishna consciousness on his own and against all odds (being and American and all). It's easier for our Indian and Hindu friends, as they were born into it. It's part of their culture. We, on the other hand had to defile ourselves being brainwashed in the American nonsense culture. So the very fact that you came to Krishna is only by Krishna's mercy. You are already a very special soul (Jiva). It is said that out of many millions of people, maybe one comes to Krishna in this lifetime. So you are certainly on your way. A little growth in this Krishna consciousness will prevent you from the greatest of dangers and fears.

So keep on chanting when your heart tells you to. Read and listen to Srila Prabhupada, and make the connections between all the bona fide religions. I still learn from Christ, and so will you. So there's no need to disrespect our home grown religion. But there is a profound beauty and transcendental joy meditating on Lord Krishna and his pastimes. So just go with that. I'm here for you bro, if you have any questions, just let me know. Explore all the videos. Have you ever read The Krishna Book?  It is a book that describes the Lords transcendental pastimes in Vrindavan. It is said in the Bahagavad Gita that "anyone who knows the Lords Transcendental pastimes has no more need to be born into this material world. That he is automatically transfered to the Lords abode after death." You can get a download of "Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead" free off the internet. Let me know if you need a hand getting this. I'll be glad to give it to you for free.   

Hari Bol!!! Your fellow Satsang, Sriman John. :-)

This reply was deleted.