Volunteer

Q. 242.  WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF WORK AND THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF WORKERS ?

A.  BY  SRILA  PRABHUPADA.

mad-arpaṇaḿ niṣphalaḿ vāsāttvikaḿ nija-karma tatrājasaḿ phala-sańkalpaḿhiḿsā-prāyādi tāmasamSYNONYMSmat-arpaṇam — offered unto Me; niṣphalam — done without expectation of result; vā — and; sāttvikam — in the mode of goodness; nija — accepted asone's prescribed duty; karma — work; tat — that; rājasam — in the mode of passion; phala-sańkalpam — done in expectation of some result;hiḿsā-prāya-ādi — done with violence, envy and so on; tāmasam — in the mode of ignorance.TRANSLATIONWork performed as an offering to Me, without consideration of the fruit, is considered to be in the mode of goodness. Work performed with a desire to enjoy the results is in the mode of passion. And work impelled by violence and envy is in the mode of ignorance.(Srimad Bhagavatam).PURPORTOrdinary work performed as an offering to God, without desire for the result, is understood to be in the mode of goodness, whereas activities of devotion — such as chanting and hearing the glories of the Lord — are transcendental forms of work beyond the modes of nature.sāttvikaḥ kārako 'sańgīrāgāndho rājasaḥ smṛtaḥtāmasaḥ smṛti-vibhraṣṭonirguṇo mad-apāśrayaḥSYNONYMSsāttvikaḥ — in the mode of goodness; kārakaḥ — the performer of activities; asańgī — free from attachment; rāga-andhaḥ — blinded by personal desire;rājasaḥ — the performer in the mode of passion; smṛtaḥ — is considered; tāmasaḥ — the performer in the mode of ignorance; smṛti — from remembrance of what is what; vibhraṣṭaḥ — fallen; nirguṇaḥ — transcendental; mat-apāśrayaḥ — he who has taken shelter of Me.TRANSLATIONA worker free of attachment is in the mode of goodness, a worker blinded by personal desire is in the mode of passion, and a worker who has completely forgotten how to tell right from wrong is in the mode of ignorance. But a worker who has taken shelter of Me is understood to be transcendental to the modes of nature. (Srimad Bhagavatam).PURPORTA transcendental worker performs his activities in strict accordance with the directions of Lord Kṛṣṇa and the Lord's bona fide representatives. Taking shelter of the Lord's guidance, such a worker remains transcendental to the material modes of nature.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer
  • Volunteer
    Pranam Dearest Devotee. Hare Krishna.
    Select a few prayers from the list below,
    (which is in the Krishna Consciousness group).
    1. TWO PRAYERS TO SHRIMATI RADHARANI.
    2. ELEVEN OM PRAYERS FROM SHRIMAD BHAGAVATAM.
    3. SHRI GURVASTAKAM. (eight prayers to the Spiritual Master).
    4. TWO PRAYERS FROM SHRI VRINDAVANA MAHIMAMRTA.
    5. TWO PRAYERS FROM MUKUNDA MALA STOTRA.
    6. SIX PRAYERS FROM SHRI BRAHMA SAMHITA.
    7. THE EIGHT YUGALASHTAKAM PRAYERS.
    Everyday read them. 
    But if you can spare more time,
    then I highly recommend that you read all of them.
    At the time of reading these sacred prayers,
    Lord Krishna showers blessings upon you.
    With love and best wishes.
    Take care, bye.
  • Volunteer
    Pranam Dearest Devotee. Hare Krishna.
    1. Select a question and answer.
    2. Read it. Re-read it.
    3. Little by little, memorize the verses and translations.
    4. Learn also the word-for-word meaning.
    5. When you have done this with one question and answer,
    do the same with the others. Take your time.
    6. As you engage in this spiritual study daily,
    Lord Krishna showers blessings upon you.
    I wish you success in your studies.
    With love and best wishes.
    Take care. Bye.
  • Volunteer
  • Volunteer
This reply was deleted.