Volunteer

Q. 237  WHAT DOES EXCLUSIVE DEDICATION TO LORD KRISHNA MEANS ?‏

A.  BY  SRILA  PRABHUPADA.

anyāśrayāṇāḿ tyāgo 'nanyatā

SYNONYMS
anya — other; āśrayāṇām — of shelters; tyāgaḥ — the giving up; an-anyatā — exclusiveness.

TRANSLATION
Exclusive dedication to the Lord means giving up all shelters other than Him. (Narada Bhakti Sutra).

PURPORT
As mentioned above, in the Bhagavad-gītā Lord Kṛṣṇa advises Arjuna to give up all processes of self-realization and surrender unto Him only.

sarva-dharmān parityajya
mām ekaḿ śaraṇaḿ vraja
ahaḿ tvāḿ sarva-pāpebhyo
mokṣayiṣyāmi mā śucaḥ

SYNONYMS
sarva-dharmān — all varieties of religion; parityajya — abandoning; mām — unto Me; ekam — only; śaraṇam — for surrender; vraja — go; aham — I; tvām— you; sarva — all; pāpebhyaḥ — from sinful reactions; mokṣayiṣyāmi — will deliver; mā — do not; śucaḥ — worry.

TRANSLATION
Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

Knowledge of the self, knowledge of the localized Supersoul, knowledge of executing the work prescribed for the four divisions of human society, knowledge of renunciation, knowledge of detachment, knowledge of controlling the senses and the mind, knowledge of meditation, and knowledge of how to acquire material power by mystic perfection — all these are different kinds of "shelters" leading to various degrees of spiritual perfection.

But the Lord's last instruction in the Bhagavad-gītā is that one should give up all these different shelters and simply take to His loving devotional service, and this surrender to the Lord will save one from all kinds of sinful reaction.

In other words, direct attachment for the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, and engagement in His transcendental service are the topmost perfections of spiritual life.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer
    Pranam Dearest Devotee. Hare Krishna.
    1. Select a question and answer.
    2. Read it. Re-read it.
    3. Little by little, memorize the verses and translations.
    4. Learn also the word-for-word meaning.
    5. When you have done this with one question and answer,
    do the same with the others. Take your time.
    6. As you engage in this spiritual study daily,
    Lord Krishna showers blessings upon you.
    I wish you success in your studies.
    With love and best wishes.
    Take care. Bye.
  • Volunteer
  • Volunteer
  • Volunteer
This reply was deleted.