Volunteer

namo `stu vrindavana sundarabhyam
namo `stu vrindavana vibhramabhyam
namo `stu vrindavana jivanabhyam
namo`stu vrindavana nagarabhyam

I constantly offer my obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are renowned as the beautiful personalities of Vrindavana.
I offer my obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are bewildered by ecstatic love for each other.
I offer my obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are famous as the life and soul of the residents of Vrindavana.
I offer my obeisances unto the divine couple, who always enjoy Their conjugal pastimes in Vrindavana.

namo ’stu vrindavana satkripabhyam
namo ’stu vrindavana sad-rasabhyam
namo ’stu vrindavana purnatabhyam
namo ’stu vrindavana gocarabhyam

I always offer my obeisances to Their Lordships, who are oceans of mercy and whose storehouse of eternal pastimes is Vrindavana. I offer my respectful obeisamces unto their Lordships, who constantly enjoy various pastimes in conjugal mellows in Vrindavana. I offer my respectful obeisances unto Their Lordships, who wander fully satisfied in Vrindavana, and I offer obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are found in the land of Vrindavana.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Dandavat Mataji, Hare Krsna, many thanks for all the Srila Prabhupada lectures that you add in this group.

• Volunteer
    Pranam Dearest Devotee. Hare Krishna.
    Select a few prayers from the list below,
    (which is in the Krishna Consciousness group).
    1. TWO PRAYERS TO SHRIMATI RADHARANI.
    2. ELEVEN OM PRAYERS FROM SHRIMAD BHAGAVATAM.
    3. SHRI GURVASTAKAM. (eight prayers to the Spiritual Master).
    4. TWO PRAYERS FROM SHRI VRINDAVANA MAHIMAMRTA.
    5. TWO PRAYERS FROM MUKUNDA MALA STOTRA.
    6. SIX PRAYERS FROM SHRI BRAHMA SAMHITA.
    7. THE EIGHT YUGALASHTAKAM PRAYERS.
    Everyday read them. 
    But if you can spare more time,
    then I highly recommend that you read all of them.
    At the time of reading these sacred prayers,
    Lord Krishna showers blessings upon you.
    With love and best wishes.
    Take care, bye.
  • Volunteer
  • Volunteer
    Pradyumna: Translation: "My dear king, the order carriers of Visnu, the Visnudutas, immediately arrived when they heard the holy name of their master from the mouth of the dying Ajamila, who had certainly chanted without offense because he had chanted in complete anxiety."

Prabhupada:

nisamya mriyamanasya
    mukhato hari-kirtanam
    bhartur nama maharaja
    parsadah sahasapatan
     [SB 6.1.30]

So this is the benefit of chanting Hare Krsna maha-mantra. Both the order carriers of Yamaraja and order carriers of Lord Visnu, they're everywhere, just like the police is everywhere. But as soon as you call them, from the police's station they immediately inform the patrol police on the car, immediately he comes. If there is such material arrangement within the government, how much nice arrangement is there in the supreme government?

So we have to practice this, that Hare Krsna maha-mantra. If we practice, there is chance at the time of death repeating the same thing, Hare Krsna maha-mantra. So immediately you are saved, not to go to the yama-mandira. The powerful name, holy name is as good as the Supreme Personality of Godhead. There is no difference -- absolute. Absolute means... Just like here if I simply chant "mango, mango, mango," there is no mango. Mango is different from the name mango. If I want to eat mango, the substance mango I must have. So there is difference between the name and its substance. That is material-duality. But in the absolute world there is..., means there's no duality. The name mango and mango: the same. This requires advanced knowledge. So there is no difference between Krsna the name and Krsna the person. There is no difference. Otherwise this is practical. You're chanting Hare Krsna. Twenty-four hours you can chant, you'll never feel tired. But if you chant any other thing... [break]

...etadrsi tava krpa bhagavan mamapi durdaivam idrsam ihajani nanuragah. God realization..., the atheist class, they say, "There is no God." But if you chant the God's holy name, you'll see God. There is no difficult process of... The Kali-yuga especially, this is a special prerogative of this age because God realization is very, very difficult for them. But if you take advantage of Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mercy... It is... Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mercy means it is perpetual. Not that because Caitanya Mahaprabhu has introduced the sankirtana movement, therefore the name is as good as the person. No. It is always the name Narayana or Krsna, the name of the Supreme Lord, is as good as the Su... It is always. But in this age especially it has got special potency. That is because we are all very, very fallen souls. (child crying) (aside:) The child. We are very, very fallen souls. We cannot do anything. It is very, very difficult. Although at any time, as it is said before, kevalaya bhaktya. Kecit kevalaya bhaktya vasudeva-parayanah [SB 6.1.15]. Simply by bhakti, devotional service, one can become liberated from all contamination. That's a fact, especially in this age. Otherwise why the Europeans and Americans, they will join this movement and chant if there is no effective measure? Why? They are not fools, rascals; they are educated. They're coming from respectable family. It is not that we are befooling them to chant Hare Krsna and dance. No. They are feeling ecstasy. It's a fact. Not blindly they are doing. Not only in one place, hundreds of centers. Why? That is the effect of chanting. If you chant, you get the effect, because the holy name and the Supreme Lord, there is no difference.

That is Caitanya Mahaprabhu says: namnam akari bahudha nija... God has many names. It is not that you have to chant only "Krsna." No. If you have got any other name of God... Must be God's name. But they do not believe in God. Generally they think there is no God, or if there is God, God is dead. Something like that. And I don't think there is any definitive name in any other religious system. It is only in the Vedic system there is name. So anyway, if somebody thinks that "This Krsna is an Indian name. Why shall I chant 'Krsna'?" Well, you chant any other name, but it must be God's name. Then it will be effective. Just like immediately chanted "Narayana." Not that one has to chant "Krsna." "Narayana" will do. "Govinda" will do. Must be God's name, because God and God's name... There are sahasra, one thousand Visnu-stotra. God has many names, hundreds and thousands. So any name you prefer, you chant, you'll get result. This is the perfect... God, factually, He has no name. How many names you will remember? But His names are given according to His activities. Krsna, Krsna is the best name. Why? That Krsna means "all-attractive." This name can attract everyone. This is the most perfect. Although God has many names, out of many names the Krsna name is mukha or the primary.

So Caitanya Mahaprabhu has introduced Krsna name, krsna-varnam. Caitanya Mahaprabhu's identification is given in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, krsna-varnam, krsnam varna iti, iti krsna-varnam (?). He is always chanting "Krsna." He's Krsna, krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam [SB 11.5.32]. The incarnation of Caitanya Mahaprabhu is described in the Eleventh Canto, Fifth Chapter. He's described. He has recommended in the sastra that in the Kali-yuga this incarnation, this form of God, should be worshiped. What is that? That is here: krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam. He is always chanting "Krsna,"and He's Krsna. He belongs to the category of Krsna, krsna-varnam. Krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam. But in this age His bodily complexion is not blackish, (indistinct). Krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam sangopangastra-parsadam: [SB 11.5.32] accompanied by His associates. Just like there is Nityananda, there is Advaita, there is Gadadhara. So sanga upangastra-parsadam. Astra, astra means weapon. So sanga... Because when God incarnates, He has got two business: paritranaya sadhunam vinasaya ca duskrtam [Bg. 4.8]. So one business is to give protection to the devotees and to annihilate the duskrta, those who are sinful. So first annihilating, it requires weapon, sankha, cakra, gada, (indistinct). Lord Ramacandra has got bows and arrows, and Krsna has got Sudarsana-cakra. But here it is said, sanga-upanga-astra. What is that astra, weapon? Caitanya Mahaprabhu has no astra. Seemingly there's a... But this is astra, this hari-sankirtana. This is astra. In the Kali-yuga there is no profit by killing them. They're already killed. So therefore this is the astra. To kill the miscreants this is astra, this hari-sankirtana. If they'll simply chant Hare Krsna, this is astra that will kill all their sinful reaction of life, then become devotee. This is astra. Now it is not required the bows and arrows or... Because they're already dead, because they have no conception of God. Simply fighting how to avoid God, this is their business. It is very difficult to convince them about the existence of... They're seeing every moment there is existence of God, but they're so stubborn, so much bewildered by maya, they'll not. So, under the circumstances, Caitanya Mahaprabhu, He's therefore called namo maha-vadanyaya, most munificent incarnation. Why? Krsna-prema-pradaya te [Cc. Madhya 19.53]. Even without understanding Krsna, simply by chanting Hare Krsna mantra they become ecstatic for love of Krsna. This is Caitanya Mahaprabhu's benediction: no qualification, but if he simply chants Hare Krsna mantra he'll be ecstatic. Krsna-prema-pradaya te.

To understand Krsna is very difficult job. Manusyanam sahasresu kascid yatati siddhaye [Bg. 7.3]. Out of many millions of persons, one is endeavoring to make his life perfect. But they do not know what is perfection of life. So yatatam api siddhanam. Siddhi means to understand that "I'm not this body. I don't belong to this material world." That is siddhi. Siddhi. Everyone is under the impression that "I'm this body." "I'm Indian," "I'm American," "I'm Hindu," "I'm Muslim," "I'm Christian" -- bodily upadhi, designation. He does not become free from the designation. The other day we were talking on Mr. Huxley(?) I think. He was talking of philosophy, but He was thinking, "I'm Englishman. I do this like that." So this bodily concept of life is there although he's philosopher. What kind of philosopher? Philosopher begins when there is no more bodily conception. What is that? Sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam tat paratvena nirmalam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. So this kind of philosophy has no meaning, because how a dog can become philosopher? That is not possible. A human being can become philosopher. So long I'm on the bodily concept of life, I'm in the line of cats and dogs. So how we can become philosopher? There is no question of. But they're philosophizing, means bluffing, and similar men, he's thinking, "I believe." You believe or not believe, the law will go on.

So everyone is proposing "I believe." That's why the government law is there, that "If you do this, you'll be punished like this." That is government law. Suppose you have stolen something, committed theft, you must be punished for six months' imprisonment. So you believe or not believe, the law will act. If you say in the court, "I believe," what is the meaning of your belief? There's no question of belief. Law is law. Ignorance is no excuse. If you go in the court and if you're punished, so if you say, "My lordship, I believe like this. I'll not be punished. So you're punishing me," so that is no excuse. You believe or not believe, the law is law. So, similarly, these philosophers theorizing so many "I believe." So these things will not go. These things will not go. That is useless, simply waste of time. You must know there is God. How we can deny it? There is supreme power. I am being controlled every moment. Who wants to die? And who is forcing me to die? How he can deny the superior power? I do not want to become old man, and superior power forces me, "You must become old man." So, so long there is force behind you, you have to act according to that. Where is your so-called belief or independence? That is foolishness. That is foolishness. But they have no brain that "I am being kicked. I'm being enforced to do something, and still I'm thinking 'independent,' 'I believe.' " What is this meaning of his belief? There is no question of. This is foolishness.

So our Krsna consciousness movement is just to educate man that you believe or not believe, it doesn't matter. There is God. There is the proprietor, but He's coming personally and He's saying, bhoktaram yajna-tapasam sarva-loka-mahesvaram suhrdam sarva-bhutanam: [Bg. 5.29] "I am the proprietor, I am the enjoyer, and I am everyone's friend. If you want to be delivered from this miserable condition of material life, I am your best friend." Suhrdam sarva-bhutanam. Krsna. Because He's the father. Who can be better friend than the father? Ha? Father always wants to see that "My son is happy." That is natural. There is no begging, "Father, be kind upon me." No. Father is already kind. But if you revolt against the father, then you suffer. Similarly, God is our father, God is our friend, naturally, and He says, suhrdam sarva-bhutanam, aham bija-pradah pita: [Bg. 14.4] "I am the seed-giving...," not only for the human beings -- all species of life, they are living entities. Then according to your karma, therefore different dresses. Just like we have got in this meeting different dresses. So (indistinct) human beings, the dress will be different. That is another thing. Similarly, the living entity is part and parcel of God, but someone has become human beings, some has become cats, someone has become tree, some as insects, some as demigods, some as (indistinct), some as the ant -- varieties. Because they wanted to become like that, and God has given them the chance, "All right. You want to become like this and enjoy life? All right, you become like this." So this is arrangement that God is there, and He is everyone's father. He is everyone's friend. He is always ready. He's coming personally to canvas. He's so kind. Just hear, immediately.

nisamya mriyamanasya
    mukhato hari-kirtanam
    bhartur nama maharaja
    parsadah sahasapatan

God has sent so many order carriers. Just see if one is inclined to come to Him. Just see. So as soon as the order carriers -- they're travelling everywhere -- so "Here's a person, he's chanting 'Narayana.' Come on. Take him." Just see. "Here this person is chanting 'Narayana.' Yes." Bhartur nama maharaja nisamya. "Oh, it is wonderful. He's chanting 'Narayana.' " Immediately Yamadutas wonder, "Why they are disturbing him? Stop!"

So take this chance of chanting harer nama harer nama harer nama eva kevalam [Cc. Adi 17.21]. You're always safe. The Yamadutas, the order carriers of Yamaraja, will not be able to touch you. It is so (indistinct). So take this opportunity, chanting Hare Krsna. I'm very glad that you are doing, but be very strict, sincerely chant. Your life is saved. Your next life is saved. Everything is all right.

Thank you very much. (end).
    Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.30 -- Honolulu, May 29, 1976
  • Volunteer

"Mercy of the Spiritual Master"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Prabhupada: (devotees repeat) Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya. Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya. Srimad-Bhagavatam, Canto Six, chapter one, verse number sixteen.

na tatha hy aghavan rajan
    puyeta tapa-adibhih
    yatha krsnarpita-pranas
    tat-purusa-nisevaya
     [SB 6.1.16]

So Sukadeva Gosvami said already that kecit kevalaya bhaktya [SB 6.1.15], "Simply by devotional service," vasudeva-parayanah, "one has become attached to Vasudeva." This stage is very difficult but very easy also. For the simple person it is very easy, and those who are crooked, demons, for them it is very difficult. So in another place it is stated in the First Canto,

vasudeve bhagavati
    bhakti-yoga prayojitah
    janayaty asu vairagyam
    jnanam ca yad ahaitukam
     [SB 1.2.7]

The whole idea is that we are in this material world. That is miserable. Under the spell of illusion, we are thinking we are very happy. They do not know is actually happiness. What is happiness? But there is no argument for these rascals. They are thinking they are very happy. That is maya's praksepatmika-sakti, covering energy. Just like you are seeing a hog eating stool, but he is thinking that he's very happy. But you are seeing, "Oh, what abominable life. He's eating stool." So this is the position. Those who are advanced in civilization, for them eating of stool is unthinkable. But for the hogs and dogs, it is very palatable. This is the difference. Just like we are recommending, "No illicit sex, no meat-eating, no intoxication, no gambling." So somebody is thinking, "Then what remains to enjoy? Everything is finished. Life is finished."

So according to different grades of person, the taste is also different. You cannot expect that the taste will be the same. "One man's food, another man's poison." This is an English proverb. One man's food is another man's poison. Therefore the society is divided. That is scientific method, class. Catur-varnyam maya srstam guna-karma-vibhagasah [Bg. 4.13]. That is God's creation, four classes, men. And the fifth class is almost rejected. Up to fourth class. First class, second class, third class, fourth class. And below fourth class, from fifth class, they are not human being. So taste of different classes are different. But one thing is that in whichever class we may belong, if you take to Krsna consciousness, then you'll become one. People are wanting unity. There is United Nation organization, but so long we keep ourself on the material platform there cannot be unity. That is not possible. Only in the spiritual platform there can be unity.

So here it is said that aghavan. Aghavan means sinful. Agha means sin and van means... Just like Bhagavan. Bhagavan means one who has bhaga, or opulence, or fortune. That is called bhagavat. And just the opposite is called aghavat. This is Sanskrit language. Bhagavan means the most opulent, topmost place, Bhagavan. And aghavan means lowest place. So here it is said that one has to become aghavan to the stage of Bhagavan. This is Krsna consciousness: not to remain aghavan, but to become Bhagavan. Bhagavan, of course, means the Supreme Personality of Godhead. But those who are very, very advanced, recognized by Bhagavan, they are also sometimes called Bhagavan. Just like Lord Siva, Lord Brahma, Narada Muni, on their status, sometimes they are called Bhagavan. Nowadays it has become a fashion to become Bhagavan. So Bhagavan is not so cheap. Everyone is aghavan. But if he wants to become Bhagavan or in the higher status, higher level, then it is recommended, "Let him take to the devotional service." Vasudeve bhagavati bhakti-yoga-prayojitah, janayaty asu vairagyam. To become Bhagavan, not Bhagavan but on the level, means highest stage, two things required. One thing is jnana and one thing is vairagya. Jnana and vairagya. Because we are in this material world, miserable condition, but we have no knowledge that we are in a very miserable condition. That is ajnana. As soon as one understands that this is miserable condition of life... That was presented by Sanatana Gosvami before Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He said... He was minister and very opulent position, very good associates. Because he was minister, so his associates were also very big men. But he resigned. He resigned. That is vairagya. So why? To understand what is the aim of life. Tad vijnanartham sa gurum eva abhigacchet [MU 1.2.12]. Therefore he came to Caitanya Mahaprabhu for understanding the value of life. So he presented himself that gramya vyavahare kaha ei pandita: "So in this ordinary behavior they call me pandita, learned. But..." Satya kari mani: "I also accept it that I am pandita or learned. But actually, my position is, I do not know what I am. I am such a pandita, such a learned man."

So we are in ignorance. We do not know. We are accepting this body as "I am." So many animal propensities, animal condition. So if we remain in animal condition of life, then that is aghavan. When one is in animal condition, that means more sinful. So we have to become sinless. That requires jnana-vairagya. Jnana-vairagya. So jnana, vairagya can be attained very easily if one becomes a devotee of Krsna. Vasudeve bhagavati bhakti-yoga-prayo... This is the verdict of all Vedic literatures, that if one becomes devotee, then he'll develop his original good qualities. Because we are part and parcel of God, so we have got good qualities. It is covered now by material contamination. That gold, gold is gold, but it is covered by mud, dirty things, one cannot understand whether is it gold or something else. So our position is like that. So when we are free from these dirty things, then our original life becomes manifest. That is called mukti. Mukti hitva anyatha rupam svarupea avasthiti. Mukti means now we are differently contaminated situation. Roga-mukti. There is a verse, roga-mukti. One is suffering from fever, and when there is no more fever it is called mukti. Similarly, we are suffering on account of this diseased condition. This material life means diseased condition. It is not our real, but they do not know. They do not know. They are thinking this is life. But this is not life. They have no information. So this sinful life, suffering. Sinful means, when we are sinful, then we suffer.

So by bhakti-yoga, as it is stated in the previous verse, kevalaya bhaktya... So the same again being stressed. Na tatha hy aghavan rajan puyeta tapa-adibhih [SB 6.1.16]. Before explaining bhakti-yoga, Sukadeva Gosvami said that to become purified, general process is,

tapasa brahmacaryena
    samena damena va
    tyagena satya-saucabhyam
    yamena niyamena va
     [SB 6.1.13]

These are the general process. But to overcome this general process if one... That is already explained, that kartsnyena. Just like fog is immediately driven away if there is sunrise, bhakti is so strong. Then he is again saying that puyeta tapa-adibhih. If we practice tapa, especially in this age, it is very, very difficult. Tapah. Tapasya, austerities. But if we take to Krsna consciousness it becomes very soon available. Yatha krsnarpita-pranah. Prana means life and arpita means dedicated. Krsnarpita. If one dedicates his life for Krsna, yatha krsnarpita pranas tat-purusa-nisevaya. Tat-purusa, you... It is impossible to dedicate our life to Krsna unless we serve the devotee of Krsna. Tat-purusa-nisevaya. You cannot approach Krsna directly. That is not possible. You have to go through His devotee. Therefore Krsna sends His devotee, "Go and deliver them." Just like Dhruva Maharaja. He did not know how to achieve the favor of Supreme Personality of Godhead, but on account of his eagerness... He wanted to see God. Because he was ksatriya... His mother said that "God can only help you, my dear son. If you want to become king on the throne of your father, better position, then only God can help you. I cannot help you. It is not..." So he was determined, "I must see God." So he went to the forest but he did not know how to approach God. A boy of five years old only, he has got the determination. So Krsna saw that "This boy is very determined." Therefore He sent His representative, Narada: "Go and train him. He is very eager."

Therefore Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151]. You can enter into the devotional service by double mercy. One mercy is Krsna; another mercy is the spiritual master. Therefore here it is said, the same thing, krsnarpita-pranas tat-purusa nisevaya. One cannot be krsnarpita pranah, one cannot dedicate his life to Krsna, unless he has gotten the mercy of spiritual master. This is the way. You cannot get directly. That is not possible. Therefore Narottama dasa Thakura said in many of his songs, chadiya vaisnava-seva, nistara payeche keba: "Without serving Vaisnava, who has got liberation?" Nobody has.

tandera carana-sevi bhakta-sane vas
    janame janame mora ei abhilas

Narottama dasa Thakura says that "I have to serve the gurus, Sanatana Gosvami, Rupa Gosvami, and live in the association of devotees." Tandera carana-sevi bhakta-sane vas. Narottama dasa Thakura said, janame janame mora, ei abhilas. Our... We are... Ambition should be how to serve Krsna through the disciplic succession, guru, and live in the association of devotees. This is the process. So we are opening so many centers all over the world. This is the policy, that people may take chance of associating with devotees and the chance of serving the Vaisnava. Then it will be successful.

Therefore here it is said, bhakti-yoga means not only dedicating life to Krsna but also to serve the Vaisnava, tat-purusa. Tat-purusa means to serve a person who has dedicate his life to Krsna. Two things: dedication to Krsna and dedication to the devotee of Krsna. So in this way if we advance, then it is very easy to become free from this material contamination. That is stated. Na tatha hy aghavan rajan puyeta tapa-adibhih [SB 6.1.16]. Tapa-adibhih, it is general process, but it is very, very difficult, especially in this age. So if we simply take this course, that dedicate life to Krsna and dedicate life to Vaisnava, then our life will be successful.

Thank you very much. (end)
    Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.16 -- Honolulu, May 16, 1976

• Volunteer

"Krishna Is Within the Atom"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna: "My dear sons, you should not envy any living entity, be he moving or nonmoving. Knowing that I am situated in them, you should offer resects to all of them at every moment. In this way you offer respect to Me." [SB 5.5.26]

Prabhupada: You read the purport.

Pradyumna: "In this verse the word vivikta-drgbhih, meaning "without envy," is used. [break] ...living entities are the abode of the Supreme Personality of Godhead in His Paramatma feature. As confirmed in Brahma-samhita: andantara-stha-paramanu-cayantara-stham [Bs. 5.35]. The Lord is situated in this universe as Garbhodaksayi Visnu and Ksirodakasayi Visnu. He is also situated within every atom. According to the Vedic statement, isavasyam idam sarvam [Iso mantra 1]. The Supreme Lord is situated everywhere, and wherever He is situated is His temple. We even offer respects to a temple from a distant place, and all living entites should similarly be offered respect. This is different from the theory of pantheism, which holds that everything is God. Everything has a relationship with God because God is situated everywhere. We should not make any particular distinction between the poor and the rich like the foolish worshipers of daridra-narayana. Narayana is present in the rich as well as the poor. One should not simply think Narayana is situated among the poor. He is everywhere. An advanced devotee will offer respects to everyone -- even to cats and dogs.

vidya-vinaya-sampanne
    brahmane gavi hastini
    suni caiva svapake ca
    panditah sama-darsinah
     [Bg. 5.18]

"The humble sage, by virtue of true knowledge, sees with equal vision a learned and gentle brahmana, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater or outcaste." (Bg 5.18) This sama-darsinah, equal vision, should not be mistaken to mean that the individual is the same as the Supreme Lord. They are always distinct. Every individual person is different from the Supreme Lord. It is a mistake to equate the individual living entity with the Supreme Lord on the plea of vivikta-drk, sama-drk. The Lord is always in an exalted position, even though He agrees to live everywhere. Srila Madhvacarya, quoting Padma Purana, states, vivikta-drsti-jivanam dhisnyataya paramesvarasya bheda-drstih: "One who has clear vision and who is devoid of envy can see that the Supreme Lord is separate from all living entities, although He is sitauted in every living entity." Madhvacarya further quotes from Padma Purana,

upapadayet paratmanam
     jivebhyo yah pade pade
    bhedenaiva na caitasmat
    priyo visnos tu kascana

"One who sees the living entity and the Supreme Lord as always distinct is very dear to the Lord." Padma Purana also states, yo hares caiva jivanam bheda-vakta hareh priyah: "One who preaches that the living entities are separate from the Supreme Lord is very dear to Lord Visnu."

Prabhupada:

sarvani mad-dhisnyataya bhavadbhis
    carani bhutani suta dhruvani
    sambhavitavyani pade pade vo
    vivikta-drgbhis tad u harhanam me

So premanjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena santah sadaiva hrdayesu vilokayanti [Bs. 5.38]. The atheist class men, they say that "I do not see God. How can I believe there is God?" But the advanced devotee, he sees every moment God's presence. Premanjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena santah sadaiva [Bs. 5.38]. He doesn't say that "I do not see God." Santah sadaiva hrdayesu vilokayanti yam syamasundaram. And what is that God? It is not manufactured God. Syamasundaram, Krsna. Yam syamasundaram. It is particularly mentioned. God means syamasundaram. This is also..., appears to be contradictory. Syamasundaram. We have got idea: what is black is not beautiful. But here Krsna, Syamasundaram. Although He is black, He is sundaram. Barhavatamsam asitambuda-sundarangam. Asitambuda, black cloud. Black cloud, like that, color, but He is very sundaram. Kandarpa-koti-kamaniya-visesa-sobham [Bs. 5.30]. He's so beautiful that if you compare with millions of Kandarpa, Cupid Cupid is supposed to be very beautiful. So if you bring together millions of Cupids, still, their combined beauty cannot be compared with Krsna's beauty. But He's still Barhavatamsam asitambuda-sundarangam, kandarpa-koti-kamaniya-visesa-sobham govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami [Bs. 5.30].

So it is required that we develop our attachment for Krsna. Then every moment you'll see Krsna. There is no need of asking anybody, "Can you show me Krsna? Can you show me God?" You will see automatically. Sevonmukhe hi jihvadau svayam eva sphuraty adah [Brs. 1.2.234]. You cannot ask Krsna, "Please come here. I'll see You," just like you ask your dog or your servant. Krsna is nobody's servant. Krsna is the master. He may like you; He may not like. Naham prakasah sarvasya yoga-maya-samavrtah [Bg. 7.25]. He is everywhere. Andantara-stha-paramanu cayan... But He is not visible to the nondevotees. That is the... Unless you are devotee, you cannot see. Bhaktya mam abhijanati yavan yas casmi tattvatah [Bg. 18.55]. So that bhakti must be there.

So Krsna is present here in this temple. This temple is meant for this purpose, that you come here, see Krsna, and become attached to Him. Then you will see Him twenty-four hours. This is the process. Not that, I have several times explained, that this Krsna is marble statue. No. This is naraki-buddhih. Arcye visnau sila-dhir gurusu nara-matir vaisnave jati buddhir, naraki buddhih. Naraki buddhih. This is warned. Krsna is here. Krsna is here in the temple, but He has come mercifully to be seen by you. Otherwise you are blind; you cannot see Krsna. But He has appeared as arca-vigraha so that You are accustomed to see wood and stone, so He appears in your visible form, but He is Krsna. You will understand He is Krsna present when you have got enough love for Him.

So as it is stated in the Bhagavad-gita, that,

mayy asakta-manah partha
    yogam yunjan mad-asrayah
    asamsayam samagram mam
    yatha jnasyasi tac chrnu
     [Bg. 7.1]

This is the way. You increase your attachment, see Krsna in the temple, man-mana bhava mad-bhakto [Bg. 18.65], think of Krsna, and chant Krsna's name and offer obeisances Krsna. These things you can teach even to the small children. They can be practiced to see Krsna and increase attachment for Krsna. That is wanted. Mayy asakta-manah partha yogam yunjan mad-asrayah. But this bhakti-yoga should be practiced not from the nondevotees. Then it will be not possible. Mayy asakta-manah partha yogam..., mad-asrayah. Not jnanis' asraya or yogis' asraya, no. Then you'll never be able to see. Mad-asraya. Either you take shelter of Krsna... You cannot take shelter of Krsna directly, that is not possible, but one who has taken shelter of Krsna, you can take shelter of him. That is mad-asrayah, one, mat-asrayah: "a person who has taken shelter of Me." That means His devotee, a pure Vaisnava, a Vaisnava guru. You have to take shelter of. Then you can practice bhakti-yoga. Then never mind what you are. Kirata-hunandhra-pulinda-pulkasa abhira-sumbha yavanah khasadayah, ye 'nye ca papa yad-apasrayasrayah [SB 2.4.18]. If you take shelter of a devotee of Krsna or Visnu, then suddhyanti -- you'll be purified. Suddhyanti. How it is possible that...? He's born in low-grade family, kirata-hunandhra-pulinda-pulkasa. How he became so purified that he can see? Now prabhavisnave namah. This is Krsna's influence. He can do that. If you take shelter, upasrayasrayah, a devotee of Krsna, then Krsna is pleased to reveal Himself. That is Krsna's special power, Visnu's special power. He can be seen even by the kirata-hunandhra andhra, and He cannot be seen even by the most purified brahmana. That is His option. He is not exposed to be seen by everyone. That is not possible.

So we have to learn through bhakti-yoga how to see Krsna, how to understand Him. Tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet samit-panih srotriyam brahma-nistham [MU 1.2.12]. These are required. You cannot jump over Krsna and see Krsna. That is not possible. So everything is sitting place of Krsna. Andantara-stha-paramanu cayantara-stham [Bs. 5.35]. He is even within the atom, so why not within yourself? He is everywhere. This vision should be developed. And vivikta-drgbhis tad aharhanam. If you see in that way, that Krsna is everywhere present But that presence can be experienced by love and devotion. There is no other way.

Thank you very much. Hare Krsna. (end)
    Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.26 -- Vrndavana, November 13, 1976

• Volunteer
    Pradyumna: "I am fully opulent, almighty, and superior to Lord Brahma and Indra, the king of the heavenly planets. I am also the bestower of all happiness obtained in the heavenly kingdom and by liberation. Nonetheless, brahmanas do not seek material comforts from Me. They are very pure and do not want to possess anything. They simply engage in My devotional service. What is the need of their asking for material benefits from anyone else?"

Prabhupada:

matto 'py anantat paratah parasmat
    svargapavargadhipater na kincit
    yesam kim u syad itarena tesam
    akincananam mayi bhakti-bhajam
     [SB 5.5.25]

So devotional life, bhakti-yoga, is so exalted that they do not care for heavenly planet, apavarga, mukti, liberation. They do not care. Insignificant. That sloka of Prabodhananda Sarasvati, he realized this, that kaivalyam narakayate. The liberation of becoming one with the Supreme is called kaivalyam, kevaladvaitam, oneness. So for a devotee it is as good as the hell. Kaivalyam narakayate. And then? What about heavenly planets, Svargaloka, Janaloka, Maharloka, Tapoloka? Akasa-puspayate. Tri-dasa-pur akasa-puspaya. In Bengal there is one word, ghorabdin (?), means "no value." Just like horse. Horse never give any egg, but it is said, "It is as good as the egg of horse." That means "There is no such thing, insignificant." So akasa-puspayate. Akasa-puspayate means it has no value. Simply imagination. Actually that is the fact. Suppose if you go to Svargaloka, become Indra. So that is not permanent by pious activities you can become Brahma, Indra, and so many demigods. You can hold that post. But a-brahma-bhuvanal lokan punar avartino arjuna. Even if you go to the Brahmaloka, what is the benefit? Again you have to come back. Ksine punye punar martya-lokam visanti. Similarly, even you go to the Brahman effulgence, brahmajyoti, aruhya krcchrena param padam [SB 10.2.32]. That is called param padam. Aruhya krcchrena param padam tatah patanty adhah. Again you fall down.

Therefore for a devotee, akincananam, they all neglect all these things. They don't care for all these things. Kaivalyam narakayate tri-dasa pur akasa puspaya. Durdanta indriya-kala-sarpa-patali protkhata-damstrayate visvam purna-sukhayate. They are Karmi, jnani, yogi, they are feeling that "This material world is full of distresses. Let us take relief from this and become one." Karmi is trying to go to the Svargaloka; jnanis want to go to the brahmajyoti. The yogis also, they desire like that because they do not feel very comfortable within this material world. But a devotee, there is no such thing that in the material world they are uncomfortable. No. Why? Wherever there is Krsna, wherever there is Narayana, that is all right. That is the view of the devotional service.

narayana-parah sarve
    na kutascana bibhyati
    svargapavarga-narakesv
    api tulyartha-darsinah
     [SB 6.17.28]

Narayana-parah, they are not anxious either to go to Svargaloka or to refrain from it. They are satisfied: "Wherever Krsna keeps me, that is all right. Never mind whether it is heaven or hell." Because he has got Krsna within him. Premanjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena santah sadaiva hrdayesu vilokayanti [Bs. 5.38]. He is concerned with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Premanjana-cchurita.

So wherever Supreme Personality of Godhead is there, that is Vaikuntha. Just like isvarah sarva-bhutanam hrd-dese arjuna tisthati [Bg. 18.61]. Isvara, the Supreme Lord, is there in every living entity's heart. So the hog, dog, they have got also heart. There is also Krsna. So does it mean that He is living with hog and dog? He is living in Vaikuntha. Etad isanam isasya. This is called isasya isanam. Wherever He may live, He lives in Vaikuntha. Similarly, the devotee, he lives with Narayana, so there is no question of hell and heaven. He is in Vaikuntha. If Krsna is living in Vaikuntha, the devotee is also living in Vai... He is concerned with Krsna, Narayana. Therefore they are not afraid. Narayana-parah sarve na kutascana bibhyati [SB 6.17.28]. Narada Muni, he is traveling everywhere. He is going to hell; he is going to heaven. He is going to Vaikuntha to see Narayana. And he's chanting, narada muni bhajay vina radhika ramana, that's all. Because he is chanting for... His business is to enlighten. If he goes to naraka, hell, he will advise them, "Chant Hare Krsna." And if he goes to Indraloka he will advise the same thing. And if he goes to Svargaloka, or any loka, that is Narada Muni's business. Similarly, those who are preaching Krsna consciousness, they should not be afraid of this hell and heaven. Wherever they should go, they will simply preach, "Chant Hare Krsna." This is their business.

Therefore, itarena tesam akincananam mayi bhakti-bhajam. But one has to become akincana -- nothing material, simply the lotus feet of the Lord. Just like Narottama dasa Thakura said, ha ha prabhu nanda-suta, vrsabhanu-suta-yuta. He is praying, nanda-suta, "Krsna," vrsabhanu-suta-yuta, "along with Radharani." Vrsabhanu-suta is Radharani. Karuna karaha ei-bara: "Just be merciful upon me." Narottama-dasa kahe, na theliho ranga pay: "I am fully surrendered unto You. You don't throw me away." Na theliho ranga. Toma bine ke ache amara. And this is wanted. "I have nothing except Your lotus feet." This is akincana, akincana, "no other thing except Your So how You can throw me away? Give me shelter." This is akincana bhakti-bhajam. If I think that "I have got another shelter except Krsna's lotus feet," then I am not akincana. Kincana -- I have got some other hope. No. Akincana means only hope: Krsna. That is full surrender. Akincananam bhakti-bhajam. Akincana-gocara. Kuntidevi in her prayer she has addressed Krsna, akincana-gocara: "You are realized by such person who has no other thing to possess." Akincana-gocara. This very word is very And Caitanya Mahaprabhu also said, niskincananam. Niskincanasya bhagavad-bhajanonmukhasya. Bhagavad-bhajana means niskincana. If we want to enjoy something material, oh, there is no question of bhagavad-bhajana, because even if you have little pinch of desire to enjoy material comforts, you'll not be admitted. Therefore Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya [Bg. 18.66]. Fully. Anyabhilasita-sunyam [Brs. 1.1.11]. Then Sunya means zero. Unless you make material, ara nare bapa(?): "No more. Enough of this mateial enjoyment," then bhakti-yoga begins. Sarva-dharman parityajya [Bg. 18.66]. Even brahma-bhutah, Brahman realization, that is also not akincana. Aham brahmasmi: "I am in brahmajyoti. I have become something important." No. Even brahmajyoti also neglected. Kaivalyam narakayate. This is the position of the devotee, akincananam. Akincananam mayi bhakti-bhajam.

So bhakti, devotional service, is not easy, but at the same time very easy, one moment's business, one moment's. But I must be willing. Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam [Bg. 18.66]. If I do it, immediately... But that, I am not willing. We have seen so many persons. Krsna says directly that "You surrender unto Me," sarva-dharman parityajya. Still, he says, "When Krsna will be merciful, then I shall do." What is this nonsense? Krsna is directly asking you. Again He has to become merciful? What kind of mercy? These are all pleas, different pleas. Actually He doesn't want that "I shall not surrender unto You, sir. I shall place some pleas. That's all." In that way... When we become actually niskincana or akincana, then, as Caitanya Mahaprabhu advises, niskincanasya bhagavad-bhajanonmukhasya. Bhagavad-bhajanonmukha means niskincana. Param... What is that bhagavad-bhajana? Param param jigamisor bhava-sagarasya. Bhava-sagara. This ocean. Sagara means ocean, and bhava means take birth, again die. Bhutva bhutva praliyate [Bg. 8.19]. That is called mrtyu-samsara-vartmani, Krsna says. Mam aprapya nivartante mrtyu-samsara-vartmani. This is bhagavad-bhajana. We do not know how many times we have taken birth and again died. That's a fact. Tatha dehantara-praptih [Bg. 2.13]. Millions and millions, for years, we are doing that. Mrtyu samsara. Still, we are so shameless, we want to do again and again that thing. Punah punas carvita-carvananam [SB 7.5.30].

This word is used, punah punas carvita-carvananam. I have enjoyed this material life, ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithunam ca. Eating, sleeping, sex, and bhaya is everywhere. A small insect up to Brahma or Indra, this is the business. So people do not want to stop this business. They want to improve the business. "I am eating now without any plate, and if I can eat on the golden plate," they are thinking, "this is advancement of civilization." So the eating process... Eating means ksut nivrtti tustih pustih. Tustih pustih ksut nivrtti. When one is hungry, when he eats something, according to the taste... A gentleman is eating halava, puri, and the hog is eating stool. So the taste and tustih pustih ksut nivrtti is the same. Either you eat halava, puri or stool, you are eating according to the taste. Just like in the airplane we sit down. They are asking, "Sir, what can I...?" We say, "We refuse." We don't touch anything in the airplane because we know what is that. And the next man, he is eating very nicely the intestine of hog. We have seen it. He is very nicely eating with spoon and fork, very enjoying. And we are saying, "Oh, what nasty thing he is eating." We don't, do not touch even what is offered. So why? We are taking whatever little things we have taken with us. But the result is the same, tustih pustih ksut nivrtti. You are hungry, you take something, so your appetite will decrease and your satisfaction will increase. You will get strength. Tustih pustih ksut nivrtti. So this is not improvement. Eating by the hog and eating by the human being, the result is the same. Tustih pustih ksut nivrtti. But eating the intestines of the hog or eating halava, puri, it does not make any difference. Ei bhala, ei manda' saba 'manodharma'. In this material world, "This is good and this is bad," this is all mental concoction. 'Dvaite' bhadrabhadra-sakali samana.

So we should not be attached. We should completely give up anything material. That is niskincana. We have no business with anything material, either in the golden plate or on the street, on the floor. It does not make any difference. Our business is how to accept the prasadam, what Krsna has eaten, that is our concern. We are not interested with the intestine of hogs or halava, puri. No. We are interested to eat which is already accepted by Krsna. Krsna bara dayamoy, koribare jihwa jay, sva-prasad-anna dilo bhai. Our business is that "Krsna is so kind..." The Krsna prasada, those who are eating Krsna prasada, they are enjoying everything. Krsna bara dayamoy, koribare jihwa jay. We have got thousands of nice preparation. Why should we go to the hotel and restaurant? There are so many nice preparation offered to Krsna. Patram puspam. Krsna is ready to accept from a devotee whatever he offers, but within the limitation. Otherwise he will bring hog's intestine. That is not desired. If people say, "Whatever I eat, I can offer to Krsna..." There is a class, they say, "Whatever I eat you can offer." But that is not the process. The process is you must offer to Krsna what He wants. Just like you invite one gentleman. You ask him, "What can I offer you?" That is etiquette. Not that however rascal you bring, and one has to eat. No. Krsna says, patram puspam phalam toyam yo me bhaktya prayacchati, tad aham asnami: [Bg. 9.26] "I eat that." How He can eat? The atheist class will see: "Oh, you are offering so many nice foodstuff, but it is lying there. He is not eating." But he does not know the process of eating by Krsna. Angani yasya sakalendriya-vrtti-manti pasyanti panti kalayanti [Bs. 5.32]. He can eat by His eyes. He can eat by touching. And even if He eats the whole thing, again He can keep the whole thing. Purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate [Iso Invocation]. The atheist cannot see, but devotee, he can know that "Krsna is eating, and the prasadam we shall take."

So bhakti-bhajam. So we have to learn what is bhakti. Bhaktih paresanubhavo viraktir anyatra syat [SB 11.2.42]. If actually we advance in devotional service, then naturally viraktir anyatra syat. That is niskincana, no more taste with the material world. Niskincanasya bhagavad-bhajanonmukhasya param param jigamisor bhava-sagarasya. We must know why we shall take to devotional service, param param jigamisor, not to remain within this material world. Padam padam yad vipadam na tesam [SB 10.14.58]. Here in the material world, padam padam vipadam. Every step there is vipada; there is danger. So don't think that "She is dying" or "He is dying, and I shall not die." Everyone will have to die. Every step, there is danger of dying. It is not that The bhute pare gobar hasi(?). Everyone has to die. So before that death we must become fully Krsna conscious so that ante narayana-smrtih [SB 2.1.6]. The end will come today or tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Nobody will live here. But the success is if we can remember Narayana at the end of life. That is success. Ante narayana-smrtih. We should practice that. Don't bother about that "I shall die tomorrow. You are dying today, so I am better than you." Nobody will live here. Everyone will die, and we must be prepared for death. And the devotee has no fear for dying because if he is completely surrendered to Krsna, then he is going back to him. Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti [Bg. 4.9]. Simply by surrendering to Krsna.

And what is that surrendering? Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru, mam evaisyasi asamsayah [Bg. 18.65]. Without any doubt. He is giving assurance. Four things only. Always think of Krsna. Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam. Anyone can do it. Everyone can offer Krsna patram puspam phalam toyam [Bg. 9.26]. Everyone can hear from Krsna what is Krsna. Where is the difficulty? The difficulty is that we want enjoyment in this material world. That is the difficulty. Therefore it is recommended that akincananam mayi bhakti-bhajam. For a devotee there is no problem. He is not attracted by liberation or by Svargaloka, by yogic perfection. He is not at all interested. Bhukti-mukti-siddhi-kami-sakali 'asanta'. Because they cannot get santi because they want something The bhukti, the karmis, they are working so hard. They want some material profit or go to the Svargaloka to enjoy more. This is bhukti. And mukti, they are also undergoing severe austerities, penance, tapasya, for becoming one. Kaivalya sukham. Kevaladvaita. They are also working. And the yogis, they also work very hard. Yoga practice is not so easy. Dhyana, dharana, asana, pranayama, pratyahara, samadhi. It requires And especially in this age it is not so easy. It was easier in the Satya-yuga. Krte yad dhyayato visnu [SB 12.3.52]. Samadhi, that was possible. And now it is not possible. Our bhakti-yoga is so easy, simply man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65], very simple thing. So we should take to bhakti, devotional service, and reject everything. Niskincana. That will make your life successful.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.25 -- Vrndavana, November 12, 1976
  • Volunteer

"Transcendental Goodness"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna: "The Vedas are my eternal, transcendental sound incarnation. Therefore the Vedas are sabda-brahma. In this world, the brahmanas thoroughly study all the Vedas, and because they assimilate the Vedic conclusions, they are also to be considered the Vedas personified. The brahmanas are situated in the supreme transcendental mode of nature, sattva-guna. Because of this they are fixed in mind control, or sama; sense control, dama; and truthfulness, or satya. They describe the Vedas in their original sense, and out of mercy, or anugraha, they preach the purpose of the Vedas to all conditioned souls. They practice penance, or tapasya, and tolerance, titiksa, and they realize the position of the living entity and the Supreme Lord, anubhavah. These are the eight qualifications of the brahmanas. Therefore among all living entities no one is superior to the brahmanas."

Prabhupada:

dhrta tanur usati me purani
    yeneha sattvam paramam pavitram
    samo damah satyam anugrahas ca
    tapas titiksanubhavas ca yatra
     [SB 5.5.24]

So the meaning is clearly described in the translation. So the brahmanas, why they are accepted as the supreme in the human society? On account of these qualities. We have discussed this point, that either brahmana, ksatriya, vaisya, especially dvijottama... The brahmanas are called dvijottama. Dvija-srestha. Atah pumbhir dvija-srestha. Dvija means twice-born, one birth by the father and mother and the other birth by Vedic knowledge and spiritual master. Twice-born. So the dasa-vidha-samskara, purificatory processes... Samskarad bhaved dvijah. Unless one undergoes the purificatory process, he cannot be called twice-born. Janmana jayate sudrah: "By birth everyone is a sudra, fourth-class man." Practically we see that children, they are sent to school. Why they are sent to school? Because by birth he is foolish, abodha-jatah. There is no knowledge. Therefore he should be sent to school, as he makes progress, to colleges, to learn higher, higher. This is the material arrangement.

The same arrangement for spiritual education... Not that by birth, because one is born of a brahmana family, he remains a brahmana although he becomes less than sudra. No. There must be education. The twice-born, he must approach the spiritual master. Tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet [MU 1.2.12]. Just like the Sattva Satyakama, Jabala-Satyakama Upanisad. The boy approached Gautama Muni that "Kindly accept me, your disciple. Initiate me." Formerly, without becoming a brahmana specially, they were not initiated. So in those days all the families were very pure. Therefore born of a brahmana father is understood that he has got the training of a brahmana. That is a facility. Sucinam srimatam gehe yoga-bhrastah sanjayate [Bg. 6.41]. By pious activities or by practice of bhakti-yoga, if one has not completed, yoga-bhrasta, one who falls down from the yoga practice, such person is given another chance to take birth in a nice family, a brahmana family or a rich mercantile family. The brahmana family is rich in knowledge, and the ksatriyas and the vaisyas, they are rich in opulence, wealth, material riches. And sudras, they are not rich either in material wealth or in knowledge. Therefore they are called sudras.

So this bhakti-yoga or any yoga... Real yoga, or the first-class class yoga, is bhakti-yoga. Yoginam api sarvesam. There are many yogis. Out of them, the bhakta-yogi... Yoginam api sarvesam mad-gata antaratmana [Bg. 6.47]. Without becoming a bhakta-yogi, nobody can think of Krsna always. That is not possible. Satatam kirtanyanto mam yatantas ca drdha-vratah. The bhakti-yoga we are teaching in this Krsna consciousness movement twenty-four hours' engagement. Superficially we engage from four o'clock in the morning till ten o'clock at night, and that is resting time. But when one is advanced in devotional service, while sleeping he also serves Krsna. That means twenty-four hours, satatam. That depends on Because in sleeping you also dream, so what we do during daytime we dream at night. So if one is cent percent engaged in Krsna's service, naturally he'll dream also at night. I have seen one of our intimate relative. He was a businessman, selling cloth. So in dream also he was quoting price of cloth. So that is natural. That is not unnatural. Therefore we have to practice. At the time of death, somehow or other, if we quote the price of Krsna, then our life are successful. Therefore we should practice: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare. Yam yam vapi smaran bhavam tyajaty ante kalevaram [Bg. 8.6]. If we practice Krsna, then naturally it is expected that at the time of death we remember Krsna. Then immediately we are transferred to the Krsnaloka, immediately. Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti [Bg. 4.9]. Immediately. There is no doubt about it. Simple thing, but it requires practice.

Therefore, to practice Krsna consciousness we have to practice other things. That is the position of sattvam paramam pavitram. That is called suddha-sattva. Sattvam visuddham vasudeva-sabditam, there is a verse. Pure goodness. Pure goodness means there is only Vasudeva. Vasudevah sarvam iti [Bg. 7.19]. That is pure sattva, when there is no other conception, simply Vasudeva. Vasudeva is the platform. Just like Vasudeva was the father of Krsna. When Krsna appeared, Vasudeva was the father. So suddha-sattva is Vasudeva. Vasudeva means there is no contamination of ignorance or passion, simply sattva-guna. Tato rajas tamo bhava kama-lobhadayas ca ye, ceta etair anaviddham. When your mind and consciousness will not be contaminated by the modes of ignorance and passion, that is suddha-sattva. That is suddha-sattva. That is spiritual platform, vasudeva. Then Vasudeva will beget Krsna. Sattvam visuddham vasudeva-sabditam. So if we purify our existence, another Krsna comes or Krsna's devotees come. They come in suddha-sattva. Sattvam paramam pavitram. Then naturally there is samo damo titiksa arjavam jnanam vijnanam astikyam [Bg. 18.42]. Naturally there is brahmana behavior. And when one becomes brahmana, pure, no material contamination, then bhakti appears, after becoming brahmana or brahma-bhutah, not material platform. Brahma-bhutah prasannatma [Bg. 18.54]. In the material platform, jiva-bhutah. But in the spiritual platform, brahma-bhutah.

So aham brahmasmi: "Yes, I am already Brahman because my constitutional position is part and parcel of Parabrahman." Krsna is Parabrahman. Param brahma param dhama pavitram [Bg. 10.12], pavitram paramam, this same thing, pavitram paramam. So naturally, because we are part and parcel of the pavitram paramam, Parabrahman, we are also the same thing, a small particle, amsa. Mama amsa. Amsa and amsi. A small grain of gold, by quality it is gold, not that because it is small, it is something else. It is the same thing. Similarly, we are also pavitram, pure, but that small can fall down sometimes and becomes apavitra. So we are just like sparks of fire, so so long we are in the fire, this quality of the spark is also fire. It is also illuminating. It is also has got the quality of burning power, small quantity. But when the spark falls down from the fire it becomes extinguished, the fiery quality. That is our position. We have fallen down from the quality, and we have to revive it. Just like a person becomes diseased. Diseased is not his permanent position. That is a temporary infection. But it can be cured. If one likes, he can cure his disease and again he can become healthy. Similarly, we are fallen somehow or other. "Somehow or other" means the reason is as soon as we become independent, we deny to serve Krsna, but we deny to serve Krsna -- we want to become independent. Then immediately we are forced by the illusory energy to come under her and work under her direction. We are born servant, jivera svarupa haya-nitya-krsna-dasa [Cc. Madhya 20.108-109]. Just like this finger is part and parcel of my body. It is made for the purpose of serving me. This is the purpose. But when it is diseased When it cannot serve the body, then it is diseased. Similarly, our constitutional position is to serve Krsna. Jivera svarupa haya-nitya-krsna-dasa. That is real life. And when you don't serve Krsna or deny to serve Krsna, that is diseased condition. And that is called maya. Krsna bhuliya jiva bhoga vancha kare, pasate maya tare japatiya dhare.

So we have to cure our disease. This disease means... Krsna consciousness movement means purification of our diseased condition, infectious condition. It is not anything artificial. Nitya-siddha krsna-bhakti sradhya kabhu naya. Not that by artificial means, as they are making propaganda in Europe and America that we are brainwashing... It is not that by some means or by some artificial, what is called, hypnotism, we are making these European or American boys, girls krsna-bhakta. No. It is there already, krsna-bhakti. Otherwise why they should take to Krsna? They have got their other, I mean to say, worshipable. There is Jesus, Jesus Christ, and others. Mostly they are coming from Christian family. Why they should agree to worship Krsna? No, it is there already. It is not that because they are born in Europe and America they are different from Krsna's relationship. No.

Krsna claims, aham bija-pradah pita. Krsna has relationship not only in the human society, in animal society, in bird society, in plant society, in insect society, in demigod society. Aham bija-pradah pita, sarva-yonisu kaunteya [Bg. 14.4]. He doesn't claim that "I am interested with the Indians," or "the Hindus" or "the brahmanas," or "this." No. He claims all forms of body. So therefore these foreigners, so-called foreigners, they have got already relationship with Krsna. Nitya-siddha krsna-bhakti. Every living entity has got relationship with Krsna. Krsna says, mamaivamso jiva-bhutah [Bg. 15.7]. How they can be separate? It is not possible. But they forgot it. And this Krsna consciousness movement is to revive their original consciousness. Sravanadi-suddha-citte karaye... "Oh, I am Krsna's." As soon as this consciousness comes, he becomes perfect. It is already there. Nitya-siddha krsna-bhakti sradhya kabhu naya, sravanadi.

And this revival of original consciousness can be executed by hearing, sravanam kirtanam. It is possible. Therefore we stress on the point of sravanam kirtanam. And actually it is happening. When I went to New York there was no Krsna-bhakta at all, a single man. So how so many Krsna-bhaktas have come out? By this same process,

sravanam kirtanam visnoh
    smaranam pada-sevanam
    arcanam vandanam dasyam
    sakhyam atma-nive...
     [SB 7.5.23]

This is bhakti process. So anywhere, in Africa also, in the village of Africa, when our Brahmananda goes there, the big, big Africans with earrings, big, big earrings, very tall, almost naked, they also dance, "Hare Krsna." So this is practical. Nitya-yukta krsna-bhakti.

So Caitanya Mahaprabhu has given this opportunity that simply by chanting... Caitanya Mahaprabhu has not manufactured it. It is mentioned in the sastra. No other... Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He does not introduce anything by manufacturing, just like nowadays these rascals do. There is no question of manufacturing. Whatever is there already in the sastra, indication, we have to follow. Yah sastra-viddhim utsrjya vartate... Otherwise there is no success. Krsna also said sastra. Krsna is also the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He refers to the Brahma-sutra. Brahma-sutra-padais caiva hetumadbhir viniscitam. So we cannot go beyond the sastra. We must follow. So in the sastra it is said, in the Kali-yuga people are so fallen, they cannot be persuaded to so many rules and regulation, but kirtanad eva krsnasya mukta-sangah param vrajet [SB 12.3.51]. Simply that is special facility for these fallen... You chant Hare Krsna regularly and you become liberated from the material contamination. And as soon as you become liberated, brahma-bhutah prasannatma na socati na kanksati, samah sarvesu bhutesu [Bg. 18.54]. We have no distinction that "Here is American," "There is European," "Here is Indian," "Here is African." No. Samah sarvesu, even animals. Samah sarvesu bhutesu. Then bhakti begins. That is practical.

So that is suddha-sattva. Samo damo satyam anugraha. The brahmana's business is anugraha, to be just like Prahlada Maharaja. Prahlada Maharaja is unhappy for others. Soce tato vimukha-cetasa maya-sukhaya bharam udvahato vimudhan: [SB 7.9.43] "I am thinking of these rascals. They are making so many gorgeous arrangements, big, big skyscraper, big, big roads, and thousands of motorcars." Maya-sukhaya. "They will enjoy this life for fifty years, sixty years, thirty years, and making big, big arrangement." Maya-sukhaya bharam udvahato vimudhan: [SB 7.9.43] "I am thinking of these rascals, that they forget the real business, what is the problem of life. They are busy in erecting, constructing big, big skyscrapers." Not only now, formerly also the vimudhan, the rascals... Visesa mudha. Krsna says, mudha. Na mam prapadyante mudha. And Prahlada Maharaja stresses more, vimudhan, first-class mudhas. Yes. Vimudhan. So anyone who does not take to Krsna consciousness and is busy in other business, he's a vimudhan. Don't remain a vimudhan. Become intelligent. Krsna ye bhaje sei bada catur. Be the first-class intelligent man and be Krsna conscious.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.24 -- Vrndavana, November 11, 1976

• Volunteer

"Culture-Brahminical or Animal"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Prabhupada:Pradyumna: "O respectful brahmanas, as far as I am concerned, no one is equal or superior to the brahmanas in this world. I do not find anyone comparable to them. When people know My motive, after performing rituals according to the Vedic principles they offer food to Me with faith and love through the mouth of a brahmana. When food is thus offered unto Me, I eat it with full satisfaction. Indeed, I derive more pleasure from food offered in that way than from the food offered in the sacrificial fire."

Prabhupada:

na brahmanais tulaye bhutam anyat
    pasyami viprah kim atah param tu
    yasmin nrbhih prahutam sraddhayaham
    asnami kamam na tathagni-hotre
     [SB 5.5.23]

So Rsabhadeva is teaching us what is the value of brahminical culture. Human society without brahminical culture is animal society. We offer our obeisances to the Lord, namo brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca. Krsna is first of all interested to see whether in the society the brahmana and the cow is properly respected. Namo brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca. His first business is to see that the brahmana and cow is being properly honored. Then jagad-dhitaya. Then automatically the whole world will be peaceful. This secret of success they do not know. Nobody is prepared to become brahmana, and so far cow protection is concerned, it is in the oblivion. This is the whole world position. Therefore it is in chaotic condition. It must be, because this is animal society. When these two things are neglected, it is animal society, and then other animal qualities and paraphernalia follow.

Therefore Rsabhadeva personally speaking that na brahmanais tulaye bhutam anyat [SB 5.5.23]. There are 8,400,000 of living entities, and as we have studied yesterday, how gradually evolution comes, elevated. So here it is the conclusion, the evolution must come to the topmost platform of brahminical culture. Satya samo dama titiksa arjavam, jnanam vijnanam astikyam brahma-karma svabhava-jam [Bg. 18.42]. Now people are not at all interested. If you advertise that "We are opening one gurukula where brahminical culture will be instructed. Send your boys," nobody will send. They are not concerned anymore that "My son should be truthful, self-controlled, mind controlled," sama dama. Sama means mind-control, samata, and dama means sense-control. Without controlling the mind, how you can control the senses? The yoga system is practiced to control the mind, to control the senses, because we have to evolve from animal platform to brahmana platform or spiritual platform, sattva-guna.

tato rajas-tamo-bhavah
    kama-lobhadayas ca ye
    ceta etair anaviddham
    sthitam sattve prasidati
     [SB 1.2.19]

Unless we control the base qualities, namely the modes of ignorance and passion, you cannot be happy. It is not possible. Tato rajas-tamo-bhavah. Rajas tamo-bhavah means kama and lobha. So long I have lusty desire and so long I have greediness to acquire more and more and more, to enjoy senses more and more That is greediness. One should be satisfied, the minimum possible.

Ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithunam ca samanyam etat pasubhir naranam. Ahara means eating. Ahara, nidra, sleeping, and fearing, and sense enjoyment. These are required, but not for increasing but decreasing. Just like when a person is diseased he should not eat as he likes. Because he is diseased, doctor prescribes that "You take little barley water or glucose, no solid food, if you want to be cured." Similarly, these things are necessity so long this body is there. Ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithuna. But this should be decreased, not increased. That is human civilization, not to increase. Just like the Gosvamis in Vrndavana. They did not come here to increase ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithuna. No. They came here to decrease. Nidrahara-viharakadi-vijitau **. That is wanted. This is Vrndavana-vasi, not that to live in Vrndavana and increase this ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithuna. This is not Vrndavana-vasa. The monkeys are also living in Vrndavana, and the dogs are also and hogs are living in Vrndavana. But they do not know how to decrease ahara-nidra-bhaya-maithunam. You'll see the monkeys. They are also in Vrndavana. But you'll find one male monkey followed by three dozen female monkeys. That is not vrndavana-vasa. Ahara-nidra. That means it requires brahminical culture, damo, samo. That is wanted. That is brahminical culture.

Unfortunately the present civilization, they are not meant for decreasing. They are simply increasing. The Western civlization means increasing the means of sense gratification, "machine, machine, machine, machine." So, and the brahminical culture means samo damo titiksa. Titiksa means without something I may suffer. Suffer. So one should be practiced to suffer. Suffer, that is tapasya. Tapasa brahmacaryena [SB 6.1.13]. Tapasya begins from celibacy. We are practiced to sex life or sense gratification. Tapasya means first of all stop this. Tapasa brahmacaryena [SB 6.1.13]. This is practice.

So to become fit for going back to home, back to Godhead, it is not so easy. It is not so easily... We have to make our material life almost zero. Not almost zero -- practically zero. Anyabhilasita-sunyam [Brs. 1.1.11]. That is wanted, practice. Therefore this, our Krsna consciousness center, is meant for practicing this samo damo titiksa. Therefore we want to see how far he is eligible to pratice the samo damo titiksa. So some new boy come, and as soon as they are given some work, not very good for sense gratification, they go away. That means they are not prepared. It is better they may go away. In Bengal it is said, dusta gorute sunya goaloa(?): "If there is troublesome cows, better keep the cowshed zero, without cow. Don't allow." So this Krsna consciousness movement is meant for elevating the animal class of men to the platform of brahmana. Therefore the sacred thread ceremony is given as second initiation, that "He has practiced now samo damo titiksa arjava, and he has learned what is Krsna, what he is, what is his relationship with Krsna, now how to act for satisfaction of Krsna." These are brahminical qualification. If one is elevated to this platform This platform is called sattva-guna. Sattva-guna.

There are three gunas -- sattva-guna, rajo-guna, tamo-guna. If you remain in the lower platforms, tamo-guna, rajo-guna... Tamo-guna, rajo-guna means, as I have already explained, greediness and lust, desires. That is tamo-guna, rajo-guna. Tato rajas-tamo-bhava kama-lobhadayas ca ye. What is that rajo-guna, tamo-guna? Now, kama, lusty desires, and greediness, not satisfied with the minimum necessities of life, want to increase more and more, more and more. That is called greediness. The Vedic civilization teaches that "Be satisfied with the minimum necessities of life. Don't increase unnecessary necessities of life, and then you have to work for it very hard like hogs and dogs." That's all. Then you have to work very... Modern world, they have increased their unnecessary necessities of life, and therefore you'll find how hard working. In European and American cities we have seen how people are working very hard, beginning from morning at five o'clock till four o'clock next night, for sense gratification. So this is not civilization. This is condemned civilization. Nayam deho deha-bhajam nrloke kastan kaman arhate vid-bhujam ye [SB 5.5.1]. This is not civilization. This is animal civilization, working so hard day and night for eating. That is the business of the hogs and dogs. You will find the hogs and dog, they are loitering on the street whole day and night: "Where is food? Where is sex?" That is not civilization. They must be peaceful brahmana. Of course, not that everyone can be elevated to the position of a brahmana, but at least they must have the chance to see that "Here is a class of men, brahmana." That is wanted. Otherwise the civilization is failure.

Therefore it is said, na brahmanais tulaye bhutam anyat [SB 5.5.23]. Actual brahmana, not the so-called brahmana, that was the Vedic culture. Just like Krsna Himself. He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. When He received Sudama Vipra, a brahmana, He immediately vacated His own seat: "My dear friend, sit down here." And Krsna's first wife?

Devotee: Rukmini.

Prabhupada: Rukmini. He (she) took immediately the camara. He (she) said, "My husband is respecting." But he was dressed very poorly, lean and thin. Brahmana, because they refuse unnecessary necessities of life, sometimes they look very poor, poverty-stricken. They are not poverty-stricken. They are the richest. Mahatmanas tu mam partha daivim prakrtim sritah, bhajanty ananya-manaso [Bg. 9.13]. Those who are engaged in bhajana never think of their poverty. No. They are not poor. Otherwise, if Sudama Vipra, externally he looked very poor, lean and thin, not very nice cloth... Krsna is: "My dear friend, sit down here." He brought water, washed the feet, just respectable person, guru, brahmana. This is etiquette. Krsna is showing personally. He is the king. He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He also respects a brahmana. When Narada used to come to Krsna, immediately He would get down from the seat and offer obeisances, and Narada was smiling, "Just see Krsna's lila."

So this is the way, brahmana. That brahmana, the India, the brahmanas, their sons later on, later ages, taking advantage of the facility offered to the brahmanas, so without qualification of brahmana, they wanted the facility for nothing, very cheap. Therefore the brahminical culture is failure now. They are... They should be real brahmanas, ssamo damo. But nobody is prepared to practice samo damo titiksa, but he wants the respect of a brahmana. This is the cause of India's culture being failure at the present moment. They... "First deserve, then desire." So without deserving, they desired. Therefore whole thing is..., it became false. So that is not the purpose. Even somebody says that "Without culture one can remain a brahmana," but sastra does not say that. Sastra says culture is the first consideration.

yasya hi yad laksanam proktam
    varnabhivyanjakam
    yady anyatrapi vinirdrsyeta
    tat tenaiva vinirdiset
     [SB 7.11.35]

So laksanam must be, laksanam, the symptom, what is brahmanas' symptoms. So my request to you, the Europeans and American boys, you have been initiated as brahmana but you must practice the laksana. Otherwise, if you think, puffed up, that "Now I have got the sacred thread. My business is finished. I can do whatever I like," no. That is not. Laksanam. Laksanam means symptoms. That you must observe, laksanam. Yasya hi yad laksanam proktam. Then nobody can check you. You will be very much dear of Krsna. Namo brahmanya-devaya go brahmana-hitaya ca. If you keep yourself in the platform of a true brahmana as you are expected... It is not difficult. We have selected the four principles: no illicit sex, no meat-eating, no intoxication, and no gambling. That's all. If you keep to these practices, then you remain. And if you chant, then above brahmana, you become Vaisnava. Manmana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65]. Qualify yourself as a brahmana. Qualify yourself as a Vaisnava. Then your position is guaranteed. Kaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati [Bg. 9.31]. Sure. Guranteed.

Here also said, na brahmanais tulaye bhutam anyat [SB 5.5.23]. Namo brahmanya-devaya go brahmana-hitaya ca. So when Krsna takes care of you, He..., attention is on you. Then who can...? Maya's... There is no strength of maya to touch you. Mam eva ye prapadyante mayam etam taranti te [Bg. 7.14]. Maya may be there. Police may be there. Police is there, so what business I have got with the police if I am honest? If I am properly observing the rules and regulation of the government, what business police has got to touch me? Maya is there. Maya must be there. Maya... (aside:) Don't stop... Maya is there, but it does not mean maya can touch you if you are actually surrendered to Krsna. Mam eva ye prapadyante mayam etam taranti te [Bg. 7.14]. So here it is (aside:) Sitting there. So Krsna personally will take care. And to come to the brahmana stage, this is also Everything is described. Everything is prescribed. If you have to follow again and again We can come to the brahmana stage by a simple method, as we are practicing, that nityam bhagavata. Nasta-prayesu abhadresu nityam bhagavata-sevaya [SB 1.2.18]. Bhagavata-sevaya. The book Bhagavata and the person bhagavata. Person bhagavata, the guru, is the symbolic representation of person bhagavata, whose life is bhagavata and book Bhagavata. So you have to serve two bhagavata, nityam bhagavata, not the bhagavata-saptaha. This is another cheating. Nityam bhagavata-sevaya. There is no such thing as bhagavata-saptaha in authoritative literature. They have manufactured as a business. But bhagavata should be served nityam. Nityam bhagavata.

Who can do that? Nasta-prayesu abhadresu. By developing Krsna consciousness whose sinful life is almost nil, not completely nil but almost nil, prayesu. How? Nityam bhagavata-sevaya. If you engage yourself to serve, to hear Srimad-Bhagavatam and to serve the person bhagavatam. Nityam bhagavata-sevaya. Bhaktih, uttama-sloke bhaktir bhavati naisthiki. Then your bhakti will increase uttama-sloke, to the Supreme. Uttama-sloka means the Supreme Personality of Godhead. And when you come to that stage, not that completely pure, almost pure, by nityam bhagavata-sevaya [SB 1.2.18], and increasing your devotional service, then you immediately be situated in the brahmana qualification. As soon as you increase your devotional service by serving person Bhagavatam and hearing Srimad-Bhagavatam, immediately you become situated on the sattva-guna. Tato rajas-tamo-bhavah kama-lobhadayas ca ye, ceta etair anaviddham [SB 1.2.19]. Then this rajo-guna, tamo-guna, cannot touch your heart. The whole process is purification of the heart. Ceto-darpana-marjanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. Everything is there. Krsna-bhakti is there. It is not an artificial thing. Nitya siddha krsna bhakti. It is our natural relationship with Krsna because we are part and parcel. Just like father and son. Son may be rebelled for some time but the affection between father... [break] ...return... (end)
    Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.23 -- Vrndavana, November 10, 1976

• Volunteer

"Evolved Consciousness"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna: "Of the two energies manifest, spirit and dull matter, beings possessing living force, that is vegetables, grass, trees and plants, are superior to dull matter, or stone, earth, etc. Superior to nonmoving plants and vegetables are worms and snakes, which can move. Superior to worms and snakes are animals that have developed intelligence. Superior to animals are human beings, and superior to human beings are ghosts because they have no material bodies. Superior to ghosts are the Gandharvas, and superior to them are the Siddhas. Superior to the Siddhas are the Kinnaras, and superior to them are the asuras. Superior to the asuras are the demigods, and of the demigods, Indra, the king of heaven, is supreme. Superior to Indra are the direct sons of Lord Brahma, sons like King Daksa. And supreme among Brahma's sons is Lord Siva. Since Lord Siva is the son of Lord Brahma, Brahma is considered superior, but Brahma is also subordinate to Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Because I am inclined to the brahmanas, the brahmanas are best of all." [break]

Prabhupada: What is that?

...uduttama ye
    sarisrpas tesu sabodha-nisthah
    tato manusyah pramathas tato 'pi
    gandharva-siddha vibudhanuga ye

devasurebhyo maghavat-pradhana
    daksadayo brahma-sutas tu tesam
    bhavah parah so 'tha virinca-viryah
    sa mat-paro aham dvija-deva-devah
     [SB 5.5.21-22]

So Maharaja Rsabhadeva analyzing the different grades of living entities. Bhutesu, anything which is generated. Janmady asya yatah [SB 1.1.1]. Everything is generated from Krsna, Parabrahman. Aham sarvasya prabhavo [Bg. 10.8]. From Krsna everything is generated. But according to consciousness, they are divided into two energies: the superior energy and the inferior energy. The more the consciousness is developed, one comes to the platform of superior energy. So the dull stone, dull matter, they have no consciousness, but there is life.

We learn from Brahma-samhita that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is within the atom. Atom is..., not that atom was not known, atomic energy was not known to the Vedic scholars. Andantara-stha-paramanu-cayantara-stham govindam adi-purusam [Bs. 5.35]. Anor aniyam mahato mahiyan.  The Supreme Lord can enter even within the atom. They are studying, modern scientists, the atomic energy, but still, they are perplexed. The smaller than proton, electron, and so many things, still, still, still... So there is life even within the atom. But scientists, because they are materialistic person, they cannot understand wherefrom the energy, the life energy, is emanating. Otherwise life energy is there even within the atom. So the life energy begins, virudbhya. The plants, the grass, there is life symptom. Gradually there are different grades.

jalaja nava-laksani
    sthavara laksa-vimsati
    krmayo rudra-sankhyakah
    paksinam dasa-laksanam

In this way, this is evolutionary growth, one after another. The evolution takes place. Evolution means gradual evolution or manifestation of consciousness. That is evolution.

So the atheist class of men, because they cannot understand that there is soul, they cannot understand that evolution means evolution of consciousness. They do not understand. They are thinking that the, originally in the matter there was no life. and all of a sudden the life came. No. Life is completely different from the matter. Not completely different; it is the same energy from the Supreme Lord. One is developed, the other is not developed. In this way, as Brahma has defined, mat-paro aham dvija-deva-devah. So in this way, within this material world there are varieties of developed consciousness, and in the spiritual world, when we surpass, transcend the material world, paras tasmat tu bhavo anya [Bg. 8.20], when we are promoted to the other energy, other world, then our consciousness... Even when one is, I mean to say, transmitted to the spiritual world... The first is brahmajyoti. Their consciousness is also not developed, even one has gone to the spiritual world where everything is spiritual. Aruhya krcchrena param padam tatah patanty adho anadrta-yusmad-anghrayah [SB 10.2.32]. That means consciousness is fully developed when he is a devotee, when one adores the lotus feet of the Lord. Yusmad-anghrayah. So those who are promoted even to the Brahmajyoti, they are also not fully conscious. Fully conscious means a devotee. Vasudevah sarvam iti sa mahatma sudurlabhah [Bg. 7.19]. That is full consciousness. Without this consciousness, Krsna consciousness, there is no question of full-fledged Just like a small bud of a flower. First of all the seed. The seed grows, then the buds come out, then gradually the buds develop, it becomes flower, then full-fledged flower, then fragrance, beauty. Everything is developed. That is real development. Similarly, this is the process of development. When one comes to Krsna consciousness, then it is full-fledged flower with fragrance, beauty, and everything. That is the perfection.

So there are so many description of different types of living entities within this material world. But these so-called scientists, on account of their being mudha or rascals, they are studying that "Except in this planet, everywhere there is dust and rocks." This is their foolishness. No. Here it is stated that siddha Tato manusyah pramathas tato 'pi gandharva-siddha. So see development. Siddha. Siddha means those who have got yogic mystic power, siddhi, asta-siddhi. Anima, laghima, mahima, prapti, isitva, vasitva, these are called siddhis. Nowadays so-called yogis, they show some gymnastic. That is not siddhi. Siddhi is different thing. One can become smaller than the smallest. That is called anima. One can become bigger than the biggest, just like Hanumanji. He jumped over the sea. Jumped over sea... This is mahima-siddhi. One can become as big as required. Just like there is water. A grown-up man can cross water by jumping, but a small child cannot do. So proportionately, if you increase your body by the mahima-siddhi, you can jump over the sea. That is possible. So these are called siddhas. We have got description in the Srimad-Bhagavatam about the Siddhaloka. There the people can go from one planet to another in this body. That is called siddhi. Here we are trying to go to other planet with the machine, and still, we are failure. But in the Siddhaloka they can go very easily from one planet to another with this body. They are siddhas.

So these descriptions are there. There are Gandharvalokas, Kinnaralokas, and the topmost is Brahmaloka, where Lord Brahma lives. And other persons, many, everywhere... Not that simply the chief man lives. His assistant, his paraphernalia, everything, is there. Just like we understand from Bhagavad-gita, imam vivasvate yogam proktavan aham avyayam [Bg. 4.1]. So Visvasvate, Vivasvan, is the sun-god. The sun-god, Krsna instructed him this Bhagavad-gita. He says personally, imam vivasvate yogam proktavan. So do not think that simply there is sun. No. There are It is very, very big planet, fourteen hundred thousand times bigger than this planet. Don't think that there is vacant. No. We get information from Bhagavad-gita that every planet is full of living entities. It is not vacant, but they have got different types of body. It is not vacant. Different types of body. In Brahma-samita we understand, yasya prabha prabhavato jagad-anda-koti-kotisu asesa-vasudhadi vibhuti-bhinnam [Bs. 5.40]. Asesa-vasudha vibhuti-bhinnam. There are in each universe Within the Brahmajyoti there are innumerable brahmandas, universes. When Caitanya Mahaprabhu was requested by one of His devotee, "My Lord, You have come here to deliver the fallen souls, so kindly take them with You. And if You think that 'They are sinful. They cannot go with Me back to home, back to Godhead,' so You kindly transfer all their sinful life to me. I shall suffer here. Let them go with You." This is Vaisnava, para duhkha duhkhi. Vaisnava can accept all kinds of sufferings, provided others are benefited. This is Vaisnava. Para duhkha duhkhi. This is the sample of Vaisnava. He is requesting Caitanya Mahaprabhu that "My Lord, You have come to deliver the fallen souls. In the material world everyone is fallen. So You take them. And if You think they are so sinful they cannot go, then transfer their sins to me. I shall continue to suffer many lives, but You take." So Caitanya Mahaprabhu was very pleased by his statement. So He replied also. He said, "Suppose the whole universe I take with Me. Then what is the loss in this material world? There are millions of universes." He compared that "In a bag of mustard, if I take out one mustard, then where is the loss there?"

So similarly, Krsna's creation, God's creation, is unlimited. That they do not understand. They are the frogs in the well. They are thinking... Kupa-manduka-nyaya. Everyone is thinking... The kupa-manduka is thinking that "This is the whole water, within this well, this three-feet span of water. That is final." And if you say to the kupa-manduka, "Oh, I have seen another vast water, Atlantic Ocean," he cannot imagine. So these rascals, those who are unaware of the potency of God, they think that "God may be like me. I am so little powerful. He may be little more powerful." Therefore they cannot understand what is God because they are thinking in their own terms. And somebody is thinking that "I am God." So this misconception should be given up. He is anor aniyam mahato mahiyan.

Manusyah... These are gradual, pramathah. Pramathah, they are also living entities. We have heard, some of them, about the ghost. They have no material body. The advantage of material body... [break] ...they are covered with mind, intelligence, and ego, but their gross body -- earth, water, air, fire -- that is not there. So one king, he also rejected the material body and remained, Videha. Videha king. So one can remain like that, without this gross body and subtle body, material. Just like in the Vaikunthaloka, that is... But in the material world, when one is not covered by the gross body but subtle body, they are called ghosts or pramathas. Those who are good, not harmful, they are called pramathas. And those who are harmful... As in this material world there are good men and bad men, similarly, amongst the persons who has no this gross body, they are sometimes called ghosts and sometimes they are called pramatha.

So in this way, varieties of life, beginning from the insects and the aquatics, animal, up to the point of Lord Brahma. But they are all within this material world. It does not mean because the Gandharvas, Siddhas, they have got higher standard of life and power hundreds and thousands times more than our power, do not think that they are liberated persons. They are not liberated person. They are all conditioned soul. A-brahma-bhuvanal lokan punar avartino arjuna. All these conditioned soul, according to karma, they are getting different types of body. One has got the body of an ant, and one has got the body of Brahma, Lord Brahma. But that is not our aim. Our aim is how to avoid this material body. For that purpose, Krsna consciousness. Not that "I have got now the body of an ant. Let me get the body of Brahma or Indra or in a Siddhaloka." This is not gain.

Therefore those who are devotees, they do not care either for Brahma or for the ant. They do not care. Kaivalyam narakayate tridasa-pur akasa puspayate, vidhi-mahendradis ca kitayate. For a devotee... Vidhi means Lord Brahma, and Mahendra means this maghavat -- here it is said -- means Indra. So for a devotee they treat equally either Brahma or Indra kitavat, just like an ant, because they know that he may be Brahma, he may be Indra, but he has got this material body; one small insect, it has got material body.

kaivalyam narakayate tridasa-pur akasa puspayate
    durdantendriya kala-sarpa-patali protkhata-damstrayate
    vidhi-mahendradis ca kitayate visvam purnam-sukhayate
    yat karunya-kataksa vaibhavavatam gauram eva stumah

This is a verse by Prabhodananda Sarasvati. He gives his opinion that if one is favored by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, yat kataksa vaibhavavatam gauram eva stumah: "I am offering my respectful obeisances to Lord Caitanya because little glance of His mercy creates this situation." What is that? Kaivalyam narakayate. The people are very anxious to merge into kaivalya, brahmajyoti, only spirit. So for them that kaivalya is naraka, hell. Kaivalyam narakayate. And tridasa-pur akasa puspayate. Tridasa-pur means the heavenly planets, where the demigods, as it is described, the Gandharvas, Kinnaras, Siddhas, they live. They are like flowers in the sky, will-o'-the-wisp, no factual happiness. Kaivalyam narakayate tridasa-pur akasa puspayate. And durdantendriya kala-sarpa-paali protkhata-damstrayate. And indriya samyamah, the yogis, they are trying to control the senses. Yoga indriya sam... That is the real purpose. Our indriyas are so disturbing, just like kala-sarpa. You are sitting here. If one snake comes, immediately you'll be all disturbed, immediately. So to... Disturbing why? Because every one of us, we know, "Here is a kala-sarpa." Kala-sarpa means anyone it bites, immediately death. Immediately death. But this kala-sarpa is dreadful, vicious, so long the fangs are there. Protkhata damstrayate. If the fangs, the poison fangs, are taken away, or if you know, "Here is a snake, but the snake's fangs have been taken away," you'll not be afraid. Visa hina sarpah. Visa hina sarpah.

So for a devotee this kala-sarpa-paali automatically subdued because they do not use the senses for sense gratification. They are engaged in the service of Krsna. If our senses are engaged in the service of Krsna, the poisonous fangs are taken away. It is no more dreadful. There is no need of practicing indriya samyamah. Indriya samyamah automatically. One who is Krsna conscious, he is not disturbed. Just like Haridasa Thakura. He did not go to control the senses, but because he was chanting... He practiced chanting. A beautiful prostitute at dead of night offered her body to be enjoyed. He said, "Yes, I shall satisfy you. Please sit down. Let me finish my chanting." This is kala-sarpa-paali protkhata-damstrayate. He was not even agitated. This is the benefit of becoming a favorite servant of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.21-22 -- Vrndavana, November 9, 1976

This reply was deleted.