Volunteer

tapta-kanchana-gaurangi
radhe vrindavaneshvari
vrishabhanu-sute devi
pranamami hari-priye

O Srimati Radharani, I offer my respects to You whose bodily complexion is like molten gold.
O Goddess, You are the queen of Vrindavana. You are the daughter of King Vrishabhanu, and are very dear to Lord Krishna.

samsara-sagare ghore
bhitam mam sharanagatam
sarvebhyo 'pi vinirmuktam
kuru radhe surshvari

O Radha, I have fallen into the horrible ocean of birth and death and am frightened,
but I am seeking Your shelter. O queen of the demigods, please free me from all fears.

mahabhava-svarupa tvam
krishna-priya-variyasi
prema-bhakti-prade devi
radhike tvam namamy aham

O Srimati Radharani, You are the exalted form of mahabhava, therefore You are the most dear to Krishna. O Goddess, You alone are able to bestow pure love for the Supreme Lord; therefore I offer my humble obeisances unto You.
Tags: PRAYERS, RADHARANI., SRIMATI, THREE,

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Dandavat Mataji, Hare Krsna, this is indeed a powerful link, a million thanks to you.

• Volunteer

Dandavat Mataji. I never thanked you before, but I would like to say thank you very much for all the topics you have added. I feel very happy to research your topics so as to answer questions on the main page. Maybe one of these days you will bless us by adding topics from different vedic literature, that would be very nice; wishing you good heath, Hare Krsna.

• Volunteer

• Volunteer

• Volunteer

• Volunteer

• Hare Krishna

o my Enternal Mother I offer my humble obeisances unto You?
    Jay sri sri Radhe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Shyam
    Jay srila Prabhupad ki jay

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
    Hare Ram Hare Ram Ram Ram Hare Hare

Radhe Radhe
    Biswabhushna Das
  • Volunteer
    Bhishma Panchaka
    This kind of 5 day fast is also prescribed for the last 5 days of Kartika (Damodara) Month and it is known as "Bhisma Pancaka". During that vrata puja offerings to the Lord are also prescribed. I am listing them below. There are also mantras that go with these offerings. However, I didn't find any specific mention about this for Purusottama month. In the Padma Purana it only stated that in addition to ekadasee one can observe a "pancaratrika" fast until amavasya. Here are offerings prescribed for Bhisma Pancaka.
    ---------------------
    Devotees may offer the following to the Deity form of the Lord:
    On the first day, one must offer padma (lotus) flowers to the feet of the Lord
    On the second day, one must offer bilva (wood-apple) leaves of the thigh of the Lord
    On the third day, one must offer gandha (scents) to the navel of the Lord
    On the fourth day, one must offer java flower to the shoulders of the Lord
    On the fifth day, one must offer malati flower to the head (siro-desa) of the Lord
    Reference: Garuda Puraana (op cit.)
    complied by Tusti Mohan Krsna das jps
  • Volunteer
    Relections on Bhishma Panchaka - Ekadasi Period and Fasting etc.
    The last 5 days of the month of Kaarttika are traditionally known as the Bhishma Panchaka or the Vishnu Panchaka. In the Hari Bhakti Vilasa, it is said that if one is capable, one should observe fasting from certain foodstuffs on the Bhishma-panchaka for the pleasure of the Lord. This is optional. The Padma Purana say that one pleases the Lord and makes spiritual advancement by such austerities.
    This year's Bhishma Panchaka was for four days since the day of ekadasi this year was a maha-dvadasi. So it got shortened to four days. (note: this is not every year)
    Some devotees in Mayapur (Brahmacaris, Grhasthas alike) fast from grains during these 5 days. The strictest way of doing this fast is to take only the five products of the cow (pancha gavya) on each of the five days(!). I didn't hear of anyone doing this. But usually those who do this fast restrict their eating like during ekadasis: no grains and beans.
    As an example and observation, HH Jayapataka Swami was drinking only fruit juices and taking his medicines as his Bhishma-panchaka vrata! Still HH Jayapataka Swami was going on with his work and meeting with devotees, management, early morning programs, late resting, and everything as he does normally.
    HH Jayapataka Swami wanted to break the fast after the four days in the shastric way. Actually that was really interesting because we were not sure whether the fast-breaking should be done on the last day of the Bhishma-panchaka or the next day. There were different opinions and some devotees were quoting some other devotees who were referring to someone else and so on. It was not so clear what to do. And HH Jayapataka Swami wanted evidence from the shastra or some shastric authority on how to break the fast.
    Kurma Caitanya Prabhu and Ram Gopal Prabhu (both were austere souls fasting for Bhishma-panchaka from grains) then started to research and came up with a quote from the Padma Purana which said that on the fifth day of the Bhishma Panchaka in the night one can break the fast by taking fruits, roots or 'havishya'. So we showed this to HH Jayapataka Swami. I had thought that havishya was khitchri since the unmarried gopis took havishya when they prayed to Goddess Katyayani and I vaguely remembered that havishya was translated as khitchri in the Bhagavatam. So when we showed the quote (in sanskrit) to HH Jayapataka Swami, he said that he would take havishya that night to break the fast. He also mentioned that havishya was *unspiced* khitchri(!). By this time, I cursed myself for having shown this quote to my Guru Maharaja. After all, I thought this is not the most pleasant way to break a four-day juice fast! Guru Maharaja also said that we should find out what havishya can be made of from the scriptures.
    Then more research and we found out. It was to be made with rice, mung dal, optionally certain varieties of saks (green leafy vegetables like spanach), etc. Salt was okay but no spices and some fruits were mentioned.
    Meanwhile my Guru Maharaja's cook Topi Krsna Prabhu was pulling out his hairs when he heard that HH Jayapataka Swami is going to take this 'havishya'. He wasn't happy with me at all about the tasteless 'havishya' arrangement. I said that this is what HH Jayapataka Swami wants and so this is what we should prepare and give to our Guru Maharaja. But he said that after a four-day fast this is *not* what is best for him. He chastised me for introducing the topic of havishya to our Guru Maharaja. I quoted the shastra and showed him Hari Bhakti Vilasa, but he said the health of the spiritual master is more important. Now I was splitting and pulling at hairs!
    ...And then by Krsna's arrangement, Gauranga Prema Prabhu, one of HH Jayapataka Swami's seniormost disciples, arrived. Both of us spoke to him and he told us that if this is what our Guru Maharaja wants, we should do it. He, in his childhood, had taken 'havishya' and explained to Topi how to cook havishya.
    But Topi Krsna prabhu had already previously arranged with Rasesvari Mataji (Ganga Prabhu's wife) that she would make some soup and pasta for our Guru Maharaja and by 8:30 PM, she was already upstairs (in the Lotus Building Roof, Guru Maharaja's quarters) with the pasta prasadam. Anyway, Topi quickly cooked havishya.
    When HH Jayapataka Swami came upstairs, he was visibly quite tired. HH Jayapataka Swami asked what was cooked for him and I showed him the Hari Bhakti Vilasa's explanation of 'havishya'. Gauranga Prema Prabhu was also there and they discussed. The glorious havishya then came and was ready for HH Jayapataka Swami to take. While HH Jayapataka Swami was eating havishya, he said that it was like Pongal (a South Indian prep). He joked with Bhagavat-krpa prabhu that this was a feast for him since he was on juice for the last few days. He then drank milk with tumeric (tumeric is from a root which is allowed for breaking the fast).
    We bought the soup and pasta anyway and showed HH Jayapataka Swami but he refused both. He said that pasta was made out of wheat (which was not mentioned in Hari Bhakti Vilasa's list of ingredients for havishya). I think the soup had oregano and as a spice/herb, that was also not mentioned in the Hari Bhakti Vilasa for sure. Besides this, the soup had things which were not in the recipe list anyway. HH Jayapataka Swami mildly admonished us that when the spiritual master wants water we should not give him milk. Now we learnt the lesson.
    The next day, our Guru Maharaja took some pasta (finally!) prasadam and left to Calcutta for his Western tour...
    For me, the whole episode demonstrated how austere HH Jayapataka Swami was and is. And he is always like this. Sometimes we don't understand how much of austerity he takes to please Srila Prabhupada and Krsna.
    This episode also showed how very renounced devotees need to be, the following supports this from shastra:
    mahaprabhura bhakta-ganera vairagya pradhana
    yaha dekhi' prita hana gaura-bhagavan
    Renunciation is the basic principle sustaining the lives of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's devotees. Seeing this renunciation, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is extremely satisfied.
    PURPORT
    Anyone, whether an ordinary materialistic person or a pure devotee, can understand the behavior of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's devotees if he studies it minutely. One will thus find that the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are not at all attached to any kind of material enjoyment. They have completely given up sense enjoyment to engage fully in the service of Lord Sri Krsna and dedicate their lives and souls to serving Krsna without material desires. Because their devotional service is free from material desires, it is unimpeded by material circumstances. Although ordinary men have great difficulty understanding this attitude of the devotees, it is greatly appreciated by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. (Caitanya Caritamrta Antya 6.220 Verse and Purport by Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.)
    (c) 1991 by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust
    Written by Vidvan Gauranga dasa, Mayapur, India.
  • Volunteer
    SRI DAMODARASTAKAM
    Tika by Sri Sanatana Gosvamipada
    Srila A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's sannyasa guru, Srila Bhaki-prajnana Kesava Maharaja said, "Due to the eternal nature of Sri Sri Damodarastaka, it is necessary to study it every day during the month of Karttika (or Damodara)." The following passages describing this bhajan are taken from Sri Sanatana Gosvamipada's commentary on the DAMODARASTAKAM:
    Kartik Vrata: What day was Damodara bound by Yasoda's rope? It was the day of Govardhana Puja (Krsna sukla pratipat, the first day after Divalli, which falls on Amavasya) when Krsna was four years old in Gokula lila. Later on when Krsna was seven years old, He lifted Govardhana Hill on this same day (Kartika month Krsna sukla pratipat). Hari Bhakti Vilas says its a rule that one must daily worship Radha Damodara with ghee lamp and chant the Damodarastakam. HBV 16.95-96- "One who worships a deity of Radha Damodara for purpose of Radhika's happiness, then Damodara Hari becomes very satisfied. One worships Damodara by daily chanting Damodarastakam attracts the Supreme Lord Damodara Himself."
    Introduction: The Prayer--- The stotra named Sri Damodarastaka is found in the Padma P., spoken by Satyavrata Muni during conversation with Saunaka and Narada. Sanatana Gosvami, "This prayer is nitya-siddha, eternally perfect. It manifested through Satyavrata Muni and is capable of attracting Damodara Krsna."
    Verse 1: Mula sloka, opening prayer defines the spiritual position of God-His transcendental form, sweet beauty and sweeter still pastime of breaking Mother Yasoda's butter pot.
    Words:
    Namam== I bow down with love and devotion before commencing description of the Supreme Lord's excellences (visesa) or attributes of tattva visesa, lila visesa, guna and rupa visesa. When starting any function it is customary to offer respects to the Isvara. This word serves as the Mangalacaran.
    Isvara== an individual attributes or characteristics. This indicates tattva visesa, an excellence of the truth of the Supreme Lord. Obeisances are offered to the Supreme Controller in order to get the power to offer this prayer and prove that only the Supreme Lord is worthy of such glorification.
    Sac-cid anandam rupam==defines the Supreme Lord as one with a transcendental form of eternity, knowledge, and bliss (rupa visesa) or a description of the excellence of His beauty.
    Lasanti Kundalam== Swinging earrings running in fear of Yasoda. Earrings have a position above all other ornaments because always kissing Damodara's cheeks. Lasanti=glistening because reflect the splendorous effulgence of Krsna's bodily complexion. Therefore, Krsna's body is the ornament of all ornaments. See Subala 3.2.12 vismapanam
    Gokule Bhrajamanam== Parivara visesa, excellence of His family, the Vrajavasis. Gokula, which is filled with gopas, gopis, cows, calves, Yamuna and Govardhana Hill, is a befitting place wherein Krsna can manifest His topmost pastimes.
    Yasoda Bhiya== Lila visesa, excellence of Krsna's pastimes. Krsna displays great fear of Mother Yasoda punishment for breaking her yogurt pots and stealing the fresh butter.
    Ulukhalat== Krsna stood on a large wooden grinding mortar to steal butter hanging from the rafters.
    Dhavaman==Krsna jumps down and runs away.
    Details see SB 10.9.8-9
    Paramrstam== saundarya visesa, excellence of Yasoda's beauty.=caught by the back
    Atyantato Drutya==Mother Yasoda running swiftly behind Krsna. Her beautiful hips, full breasts, flowers falling from loosened hair, perspiring.
    Anvancamana
    Gopya== Mother Yasoda.
    Verse 2: Description of details of Damodara lila. The Supreme Lord, crying in fear, can only be bound Mother Yasoda's love. Shows lila visesa.
    Rudantam==Crying. Upon seeing the whipping stick of Mother Yasoda, Krsna becomes terrified and starts crying.
    Netra Yugmam Mrjantam== rubbing two lotus eyes again and again
    Karambhoja Yugmena==with His lotus hands fearful Krsna rubs His eyes to make the tears fall out.
    Satanka Netram==fearful eyes glancing here & there
    Muhuh Svasa==crying again and again
    Kampa== trembling
    Tri-rekhanka Kanta== three lines on His conchshell neck
    Sthita Graivam== pearl necklace situated there
    Bhakti Baddham==Bound by love. Bhakta vatsalya, Krsna's quality of coming under control of His devotees. God can only be bound by a devotee's love and nothing else.
    Krsna was bound by the pure parental love of Yasoda. Damodara willingly accepted the binding, although no rope has the power to bind the Supreme Absolute Truth. The Srimad Bhagavatam 10.9.18-21 sva matuh gives proof that Krsna is controlled by His devotees. Krsna performs this Damodara lila and all His other pastimes because of His devotees's love.
    Verse 3: This sloka glorifies Vraja madhurya maya bhakti over aisvarya jnana bhakti. It describes Krsna's
    Guna Visesa, the excellence of His qualities.
    Itidrk==Srimad Bhagavatam 10.11.7-8 Damodara lila shows how Krsna under control of His devotees.
    Sva Lilabhir==His own transcendental sportive pastimes like this
    Ananda Kunda==pool of ecstasy, full of deep mellows and rich rasas.
    Sva Ghosam==His own family in Gokula; ghosh also means loudly proclaims His glories and the sweet glories of His eternal Vraja bhaktas by this lila
    Nimajjantam==immersed personally in pools of bliss
    Akhyapayantam==let everyone see and understand My position by seeing this lila of Me coming under the control of My pure madhurya bhaktas.
    Tadiyesita Jnesu==tadiya (opulence, majesty) Isa= the master, controller. Aisvarya jnana bhaktas who are the Vaikuntha vasis. Those attached to knowledge of the Lord's majestic opulences (aisvarya).
    Bhaktair Jitatvam==Krsna only conquered by love and devotion of His devotees.
    Line three means: "I willfully submit to the control of My bhaktas, but I never submit Myself to those fond of jnana.
    Punah== repeatedly
    Prematah== with an excellence of love and devotion
    Tam==unto that Isvara, Lord Sri Krsna.
    Satavrtti==100 times
    Line four means: "I offer my obeisances hundreds and hundreds of times to the process of pure devotion, Vraja bhakti. This type of divine love puts the Supreme Lord Krsna under the control of His devotees.
    Verse 4: Verse 4 & 5 mention Satyavrata Muni's cherished desire-to see the transcendental form of Gopal manifested within his heart. He wants no other boon than this. The muni is thinking, "Oh! If Your divine form of a bala gopal would be manifested in my heart, then I would feel very very pleased; nothing short of this will satisfy me." Verse four shows that the longing for inner darsan of Krsna is the best of all goals.
    Varam== boon
    Deva== effulgent Supreme Lord
    Moksam== Brahman liberation
    Na== not want, reject
    Moksavadhim== highest type of liberation to Vaikuntha planets
    Na Canyam anya== reject all other things, not want anything else.
    Vrne== pray
    This verse rejects three Boons: 1-moksa=Brahman liberation 2-moksavadhim=Vaik. Liberation which is the zenith of all liberations 3-na canyam= boons achieved by following nava vidha bhakti
    Idam== this
    Vapur== vani/vapuh divine form and words; instructions.
    Natha==Lord. The are four famous Nathas that if one sees all then gets liberation. Badri in north, Jagan in east, Dvaraka in west, Ranga in south and Gopal Nathji in center. But if see only one Natha, Sri Nathji or Gopal Nathji get full benefit of seeing other 4.
    Gopal Balam== young cowherd boy
    Sada==always sac-cid-ananda
    Me==mine
    Manasy==mind, heart
    Avirastam==ever manifested (avirbhava)
    Kim Anyaih==What good are they? What is the use of any other thing such as moksa or the boons gained by performed devotional service?
    Summary: This attitude, as stated by Sat. Muni above, comes from one absorbed in thinking of Krsna's name, form, qualities and pastimes. If one attains Krsna, then everything else in automatically and perfectly attained. If Krsna is not attained, then all other boons are useless
    Verse 5: This verse, describing the beauty of Krsna's face, is a prayer to see the sweet lotus face of Krsna.
    Idam==this
    Mukhambhojam==lotus face. Krsna's face resembles a fully blossomed lotus flower.
    Avyakta==un manifested , dark
    Nilair==blue
    Vrtam==surrounded; lotus face surrounded by bumblebee like curly locks of hair
    Kuntalaih==curly dark blue hair
    Snigdha==soft, glossy
    Raktais==red tint
    Gopya==a gopi, = that face kissed by either Radhika or Yasoda
    Muhuh==again and again
    Cumbitam==kissed
    Bimba==like a bimba fruit
    Raktadharam==lips cherry red
    Manasy==mind
    Avirastam==avirbhava, manifested. May this lotus face that is kissed by that fortunate gopi, Srimati Radhika, be manifested within my mind.
    Alam==useless
    Laksa==millions
    Labhaih==greed; attainment of other boons and benedictions
    Summary## IN deep meditation on the Damodara lila, one will see the divine lotus face of Krsna as described in this verse five.
    Verse 6: Is a prayer for saksat darsan; the boon of seeing Krsna face to face
    Namo==obeisances
    Deva==divine, beautiful Supreme Lord
    Damodara==bound by the affection of Yasoda. Indicates his param bhakti vatsalya visesa. Therefore, there is nothing He cannot do
    Ananta==Full of inconceivable sakti and unlimited mercy
    Visno==all-pervading Supreme Lord Visnu is living everywhere
    Prasida==show mercy, be pleased with one
    Prabho==master, controller, astonishing power to reveal Yourself to me
    Dukha==suffering, natural miseries
    Jala==network
    Abdhi==ocean
    Magnam==immersed
    Krpa==mercy
    Drsti==glance
    Vrsti==rain
    Ati Dinam==very fallen
    Batanu==please
    Grhana==uplift, accept
    Esa==independent Lord, controller
    Mam==me
    Ajnam==ignorance
    Aksi Drsyah==give Your darsana, become visible to me
    Summary Verse Six: Explains how to see Krsna?
    1. Must fix Krsna in the mind and by pure bhakti will see Him
    2. Attain pure bhakti by chanting Nama Sankirtan with love and devotion and sorrowful prayers. (verse six full of Krsna's names-Deva, Prabho, Damodara, Visnu, Ananta)
    3. There are no fixed rules governing the appearance of the Lord. It is His free will only.
    What happens if one gets the direct darsana of Supreme Lord Krsna?
    In Hari-bhakti Sudhodaya says Prahlada M. Saw the Lord by the sea one day. Narada, Dhruva, Kardama Muni and Bilvamangala all received direct darsana, saksat darsana, of the Lord.
    BRHAD BHAGAVATAMRTA chap. 3 179-182: "1. Seeing Lord Krsna in person direc tly with the eyes is the final reward for practicing nava vidha bhakti. One will experience profound bliss that surpasses all other forms of darsana such as seeing the Lord in meditation. 2. The ignorance and Maya covering the soul is destroyed. 3. Bhava increases 4. Devotee becomes overwhelmed with bliss and exhibits different sattvika bhavas, such as shivering, crying, hair standing erect. Prema vikaras, ecstatic symptoms.
    Verse 7: Describes Prema visesa, the excellence of Krsna prema. It is a prayer to attain prema bhakti, which is the only means for attaining darsana of Lord Krsna as described in verse 6. Verse 7 also rejects moksa, liberation.
    Kuveratmaja==sons of Kubera, Nalakuvara, Manigriva
    Baddha==bound with ropes
    Murtyaiva==Sri Vigraha, divine form
    Yat vat== curse birth as trees
    Tvaya==you
    Mocitau==liberated
    Bhakti bhajau==performance of devotional service. Never give up practice of bhakti
    Krtau==gave, made them, Krsna awarded them prema bhakti
    Tatha==then
    Prema bhaktim==pure devotion
    Svakam==Your own, shelter Your lotus feet
    Prayaccha==give intense, profuse
    Graho==enthusiasm, have no eagerness for any other type of liberation
    Sti==this
    Damodara==Lord Damodara who is bhakta vatsala
    Iha==this or here in Vrndavana, please bestow prema bhakti.
    Verse 8: This verse summarized things the prayer stands for
    Damne==rope
    Sphurad==splendrous
    Dipti dhamne==effulgent abode
    Tvadiya-udaraya==unto your belly
    Visvasya==universe
    Radhikayai priyayai==dearest beloved Radha
    Dhamne==shelter
    Nanta lila==unlimited sportive pastimes
    Devaya==transcendental
    Tubhyam==you
    Summary: The rope around Krsna's belly represents the Brahman effulgence surrounding the spiritual world. His belly supports all the universe in creation. One lotus flower growing from His navel or belly sustains the 14 worlds (planetary systems). Krsna showed His universal form to Mother Yasoda. By binding this waist Mother Yasoda has single-handedly bound the whole universe and brought the entire creation under her control by the strength of Her vatsalya prema. For anyone else it would be totally impossible to bind the all pervading unlimitedly potent Supreme Lord; but He willingly accepts Mother Yasoda's binding as an attribute of His bhakta vatsalya visesa, excellence of His being controlled by the love of His devotees.
    Radhika is also engaged in Krsna's aradhana or worship only for His pleasure. Eternally Radhika is Krsna's dearmost beloved nitya priya or Priyayai.
    Namo Nanta Lilaya==Satyavrata Muni is herein glorifying the topmost unlimited pastimes of Krsna such as rasa lila which Krsna performed with His beloved Priyaji, Sri Radhika. Such confidential pastimes are hinted at and offered respects to with the word (Namo). Namo nanta lilaya refers to ananta lila, Ananta Bhagavan Sri Krsna who continually enjoys limitless pastimes. Satyavrata Muni is offering obeisances to Radha-Krsna unlimited pastimes of rasa lila.
    Word LILA== root L i means lingita or embrace. La means to accept. Therefore, word lila means those playful pastimes wherein Krsna accepts the embraces of the gopis. Thus Satyavrata Muni is ending his prayer on a sweet note (madhurena samapayet, a sanskrit rule of drama meaning that everything should end on a sweet note) by offering respectful obeisances unto the topmost transcendental pastime of Krsna's rasa lila and other such confidential pastimes in Vraja Dhama.
This reply was deleted.