Volunteer

Young man: Then how do we take the meaning of earthquakes and natural disasters which could destroy the lives of pure people as well as impure people?

Prabhupāda: No, every life is pure. The body is pure and impure. So anyway, after destruction, the life is not destroyed. Na hanyate hanyamāne śarīre (B.G.2:20). The destruction of body does not mean that the soul is destroyed. No. He gets another body. The body is... one body is destroyed, and he transmigrates to another body. And so far your question about the earthquake, so suppose if there is plane crash, there are many good men, bad men, so everyone is crashed. But the good man gets a good body again; the bad man gets a bad body again.

(Room conversation--------Iran).

Jyotirmayī: (If the) name of God is not material, how is it possible to pronounce it materially, with our material tongue?

Prabhupāda: Yes, it is possible, when you are purified.

Guest: Has God put the suffering here for us to experience so that we will want to give up material lives and get closer to Him? Is it punishment?

Prabhupāda: Yes.

Jyotirmayī: Is the God of love, does He punish man?

Prabhupāda: Yes. God has got two business. Maintenance and punishment. That is stated in Bhagavad-gītā, paritrāṇāya sādhūnāṁ vināśāya ca duṣkṛtām (B.G.4:8). That the government has got the law to give protection to the obedient citizens, and to send the rascals to the prison house.

(Lecture on Srimad Bhagavatam-------Paris).

Indian man: Kṛṣṇa says according to your, as you said, learn to tolerate. Learn to endure, toleration. And what... How can one be better equipped to tolerate these despairs and miseries of our human existence?

Prabhupāda: The more he understands that he is not body. The more he understands that "I am not this body," then he can tolerate. And if we become disturbed by the pains and pleasure of the body, then we shall forget our real business. Our real business is to get out... I am not this body, but this human body is a chance how to get out of this body. That is my real business. So if we are disturbed by these bodily pains and pleasure very much, then I forget my real business. Therefore Caitanya Mahāprabhu has advised, taror api sahiṣṇunā.

tṛṇād api sunīcena
taror api sahiṣṇunā
amāninā mānadena
kīrtanīyaḥ sadā hariḥ
(CC.1:17:31)

Tṛṇād api sunīcena. Just like grass. Everyone is trampling over the grass. The grass does not protest. Therefore humbler than the grass. And tolerant than the tree. In this way we shall have to keep our position in this material world and advance in spiritual consciousness. If we become disturbed, then we cannot make progress. Suppose we are prohibiting so many things. Especially in the Western world, this is very painful. But you have to tolerate. If you want to get out of this body, you have to tolerate. Actually it is not painful. If you are in Kṛṣṇa consciousness, then it is not difficult. It is very easy.

(Lecture--------Germany).

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.