Volunteer

Sri Krsna-Chaitanya-Dvadasa-Nama-Stotram
by Sarvabhauma Bhattacharya:
Twelve principal names of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu are:

(1) caitanyah krsna-caitanyo gaurango dvija-nayakah
yatinam dandinam caiva nyasinam ca siromanih

(2) raktambara-dharah sriman navadvipa-sudhakarah
prema-bhakti-pradas caiva sri-saci-nandanas tatha.

Chaitanya -- The living force
Krsna-Chaitanya -- The all-attractive Supreme living force
Gauranga -- He of fair bodily complexion
Dvija-Nayaka -- The hero amongst the twice-born brahmanas
Yatinam Siromani -- The crest jewel of sannyasis (who wander freely)
Dandinam Siromani - The crest jewel of sannyasis (who carry staffs)
Nyasinam Siromani -- The crest jewel of sannyasis (who renounce everything).
Raktambara-Dhara -- He Who wears red cloth
Sriman -- The supreme opulent one
Navadvipa-Sudhakara -- The source of nectar in Navadvipa
Prema-Bhakti-Prada -- The bestower of ecstatic loving devotion
Sri-Sachi-Nandana -- The delightful son of mother Sachi.

"That person who recites these twelve holy names of the Lord three times a
day (at dawn, noon and dusk) will achieve the perfection of all their best
desires, and will attain pure devotion unto the divine lotus feet of Lord
Chaitanya."

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Dandavat Mataji, Hare Krsna, many thanks for all the Srila Prabhupada lectures that you add in this group.

• Volunteer
    Pranam Dearest Devotee. Hare Krishna.
    Select a few prayers from the list below,
    (which is in the Krishna Consciousness group).
    1. TWO PRAYERS TO SHRIMATI RADHARANI.
    2. ELEVEN OM PRAYERS FROM SHRIMAD BHAGAVATAM.
    3. SHRI GURVASTAKAM. (eight prayers to the Spiritual Master).
    4. TWO PRAYERS FROM SHRI VRINDAVANA MAHIMAMRTA.
    5. TWO PRAYERS FROM MUKUNDA MALA STOTRA.
    6. SIX PRAYERS FROM SHRI BRAHMA SAMHITA.
    7. THE EIGHT YUGALASHTAKAM PRAYERS.
    Everyday read them. 
    But if you can spare more time,
    then I highly recommend that you read all of them.
    At the time of reading these sacred prayers,
    Lord Krishna showers blessings upon you.
    With love and best wishes.
    Take care, bye.
  • Volunteer
  • Volunteer
    Pradyumna: Translation: "Ajamila then saw three awkward persons with deformed bodily features, fierce, twisted faces, and hair standing erect on their bodies. With ropes in their hands they had come to take him away to the abode of Yamaraja. When he saw them he was extremely bewildered, and because of attachment to his child, who was playing a short distance away, Ajamila began to call him loudly by his name. Thus, with tears in his eyes, he somehow or other chanted the holy name of Narayana." [SB 6.1.28-29]

Prabhupada: Sa pasa-hastams trin drstva purusan ati-darunan. So, at the time of death there are so many disturbance. We have got experience, but you have forgot because bhutva bhutva praliyate [Bg. 8.19]. But these things are observed by the sinful person. The Yamaduta, they come to take to the sinful, sinful person, not devotees. Just like the whole population of the city, they are not all subjected to the prison laws. Some criminals. Similarly, this Yamaduta goes to such sinful persons. They are not all. But it is the question of Ajamila... He was so sinful that automatically the Yamadutas came, and they wanted to take him.

The description of the Yamadutas is there, that twisted face and very ugly-looking, very fierceful, and with ropes in the hand. So naturally he was very afraid. And he was attached to his son, so naturally he wanted to call somebody to save him, so he called his affectionate son, whose name was Narayana. This is the opportunity. Krsna is so kind upon His devotee. This Ajamila was in the beginning a devotee. Later on he fell down. But Krsna, Narayana, is so kind that He gave him the dictation that "You keep your son's name as Narayana," so that he'll be able to call the holy name Narayana by calling his son. He was very much attached to the youngest son, whose name was Narayana. So, unconsciously, he was chanting the holy name of Narayana, although he never meant that he's calling real Narayana. He's asking his son, Narayana, "My dear son, Narayana, please come here, take your food, sit down here, play here, Narayana, Narayana, Narayana." This was practice. This opportunity was given to Ajamila that, although he fell down from his standard of devotional service, but he got the opportunity of chanting "Narayana." Ante narayana smrtih [SB 2.1.6]. And when we are afraid of something, so we chant, we call somebody who is very dear. This is very psychological.

So when he was too much afraid of this Yamaduta, unconsciously he chanted the holy name of Narayana. So somehow or other he remembered Narayana. Some commentator says that when he chanted "Narayana," then all his reaction of sinful life immediately disappeared and he remembered real Narayana. Because he, in his boyhood, was trained up as a Vaisnava by his father, so some... There is big comments on this incidence. Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura has written three or four pages about this. So his opinion is that as soon as he chanted the holy name of Narayana, immediately he remembered real Narayana. That this child Narayana... "I'm calling my child, how he'll be able to save me from the hands of this Yamaduta." He remembered that "Narayana, if He kindly helps me, then I can be saved." Immediately there was response. Immediately there is response. Yam yam vapi smaran bhavam tyajanty ante kalevaram [Bg. 8.6]. In the Bhagavad-gita it is said that at the time of death, whatever your mental condition is, that will act.

So this mental condition naturally is there what I practice throughout my whole life. So if we practice this chanting of Hare Krsna name, then there is chance of chanting Hare Krsna at the time of death. That is the examination. In Bengali there is a proverb, bhajan kara sadhana kara murte janle hoy. That is, "How you are becoming Krsna conscious, that you'll be tested at your time of death." That is wanted. If we practice throughout whole life "Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna," then there is good chance of chanting Hare Krsna, because at the time of death everything becomes disordered. The tongue becomes disordered, the mind becomes disordered. There is a verse by Kulasekhara. He was praying to Lord, adyaiva me visatu manasa-raja-hamsah, prana-prayana-samaye kapha-vata-pittaih smaranam kutas te [MM 33]. He was praying to the Lord, "My Lord, Mukunda, now I am healthy, very strong. Everything is all right. My mind is in order. My health is in order. So I am praying to You, let death come immediately so that I can soundly remember Your name. Otherwise natural death, it may be that on account of dissolution of the..., arrangement, physiological arrangement of the body..." Just like in sleep we forget everything. In sleep we forget everything. The subtle mind, intelligence work. I am sleeping in a nice bed, but mind and intelligence have taken me far away near the desert. And I'm seeing I'm in the desert. That is happening daily. Dream means the stock in the mind of our experience past, may be many, many years past, but the stock is there. Sometimes they come. That is dreaming. Just like you'll find in a lake all of a sudden... There is discussed in psychology also how this remembrance comes all of a sudden. The example is given just like in a lake all of a sudden you'll find there is a bubble. So similarly, the mind is the subtle matter. That is described in the Bhagavad-gita, bhumir apo analo vayuh kham mano [Bg. 7.4]. This gross is this land, bhumi, earth, straw. Water is a little more subtle. Just like in land you can stand, but in the water you cannot stand. It has become little subtle. Then fire, then air, and then ether. This is the position, from gross to subtle. And then mind. Still finer than the ether is the mind. And then intelligence. And then false ego, and then the soul. These are the different position.

So we have to go to the platform of soul. That is spiritual education. But there are so many other stages. Somebody's stopping in the mind. He's thinking that this is the final. Philosophy, poetry, imagination, the mind mental... As we see that mostly your Western philosophers, they are stuck up on the platform of mind. That's all. They're thinking this is the final. So far I've studied only Socrates. He has reached up to the point of soul. Otherwise, all Western philosophers, they're on the mental platform. So anyway, we have to go farther, farther. So the dreaming is the function of the subtle body, namely mind, intelligence and false ego. You're not free, the subtle body. So those who have no knowledge how material things are acting, covering the soul, they utmost they can think of the mind, the activities of the mind -- thinking, feeling, willing, psychology, or writing some books, some mental speculation philosophy. They think this is final. That is not final. You have to go farther to the intellectual platform, then egoism, then soul. That is described in the Bhagavad-gita:

indriyani parany ahur
    indriyebhyah param manah
    manasas tu para buddhir
    buddhes tu ya para sah
     [Bg. 3.42]

Krsna is giving all intelligence. That is, through gross understanding, this indriya, the senses.

So those who are in the lowest stage of knowledge they are in the bodily concept of life -- the indriya, the senses. Just like cats and dogs, they cannot think more than that. So, but Krsna advises, "No, don't stop here." Indriyani parany ahur [Bg. 3.42]. Bodily concept of life, sense pleasure, they think it is all. There is no more other. Those who are little above the bodily concept of life, they find pleasure in the mind. And farther, they find pleasure in intellectually. And in this way the thing is very complicated. It requires very cool brain to understand all these things. But those who are meat-eaters, they are very troubled. They cannot understand. For them the subject matter is very, very difficult. That is described in the Srimad-Bhagavatam,

nivrtta-tarsair upagiyamanad
    bhavausadhac chrotra-mano-'bhiramat
    ka uttamasloka-gunanuvadat
    puman virajyeta vina pasu-ghnat
     [SB 10.1.4]

Pasu-ghna. Pasu means life, or living entity. Pasu-ghna, ghna means killer. So unless one who is killing himself or killing this animal... Both are killing. The killing of the animal in the slaughterhouse, that is gross killing. And another killing is one who is killing himself without knowledge. That is also killing. He got this human form of life, but without sufficient knowledge he's killing himself. Mam aprapya. He cannot understand God. That is killing himself. This human form of life was given to him by nature's way, that "Now you understand God." But he's wasting time by surfing in the water. You see? He got the chance of understanding God -- he doesn't care for that. He's unnecessarily laboring whole day in the sea, so that he's developing the mentality at the time of, you think of swimming in the water, and the subtle body will carry him to the fish journey.

The subtle body, the transmigration of the soul means when the gross body stops. The subtle body... Just like... This is very easy to understand. Little brain is required. Just like when you sleep, your gross body is on the bed, but the subtle body takes you somewhere. So the transmigration of the soul takes place carried by the subtle body. And mukti means when there is no more working of the subtle body also. This death, this elimination of this gross body, that is not mukti, because the subtle body will work and subtle body will carry you to the next gross body. The soul will be carried by the subtle body and, according to its mentality, nature will put him into the semina of a certain father, and the father will inject the semina within which the soul is there, and then again, with the mixture of ovam and semen there will be formation a pealike body, and the soul is there, and he'll develop. Then there will be nine holes and hands and legs, and when the complete he comes out, again begin your chapter -- either as cat, or as dog or as human being or as tree or as plant, as aquatics. There are so many, 8,400,000. So subtle body's working. Nature's work is so fine that everything... Just like this Yamaduta, immediately there, "Yes, we have come to take." Now if you become a criminal, if he comes attack, one has to phone to the police that "Here is a thief who has come." He does not... Nature's work is going on so nicely there is no necessity of phoning Yamadutas. They will come. (laughter) But this rascal civilization do not know this, how things are going on.

So this is going... Our whole Krsna consciousness movement is that try to understand how the laws of God is working. That is religion. Don't remain fool rascal. There are three stages: the stage of ignorance, the stage of passion, the stage of goodness, and the stage of transcendence. There are different stages. So, after millions of births, nature gives us this human form of life when, if we try, we can understand in which stage I am standing. Yes. Either in ignorance or passion or goodness. And to understand this there are books. These books are there. So you have to study. The Caitanya-caritamrta says, anadi-bahir-mukha jiva krsna bhuli gela ataeva krsna veda-purana korila. The Vedas, this knowledge, for whom? Is it for the cats and dogs? No. They cannot read. They cannot understand. It is meant for men, and especially civilized men. Not for the crude men in the jungle. Those who are civilized -- for them. They are called civilized men, means another word is Aryan. For them it is. Just like Arjuna was chastised by Krsna. When he did not like to fight He chastised him, "Non-Aryan." Kutas tvam kasmalam idam visame samupasthitam anarya justam. "You're talking like non-Aryan." Aryan means advanced. So if you claim to belong to the Aryan family, then it is your duty to study Vedic literature and understand your position and make your life successful. That is Krsna consciousness.

Thank you very much. (end)
    Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.28-29 -- Honolulu, May 28, 1976
  • Volunteer
    Prabhupada: (devotees repeat) Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya. Texts number thirteen and fourteen.

tapasa brahmacaryena
    samena ca damena ca
    tyagena satya-saucabhyam
    yamena niyamena va

deha-vag-buddhijam dhira
    dharmajnah sraddhayanvitah
    ksipanty agham mahad api
    venu-gulmam ivanalah
     [SB 6.1.13-14]

So, how to become advanced. These are the prescribed methods. Tapasa. Tapasya. Tapa means voluntarily taking some disadvantage. That is tapa. Tapa. Tapa means, just like if there is fire, so there is heat, but the method of tapasya is that during summer season they ignite some firewood all round and sit down. Already there is scorching heat, and still, all round fire, and one has to sit. These are some of the examples of tapasya. Similarly, in the winter season it is very cold: one has to go down the water up to neck. This is the meaning of tapasya, voluntarily accepting some severe condition of life.

So in this age it is very difficult, but this is the meaning of tapasya, voluntarily accepting inconveniences. When there is cold, one has to take the help of heater, fire. No. No heater, no fire, but go deep into the cold water. Of course, it is very difficult in your country because the water is so cold, and if you go deep, immediately finish. (laughter) I have seen in New York. One dog, he jumped over -- immediately finished. I have seen it. That is actual fact. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu is so kind that these people in this age, they will not be able to undergo severe austerity. That is not possible. Mandah sumanda-matayo manda-bhagya hy upadrutah [SB 1.1.10]. In this age every man is alpayusah. Alpayusah means very short-living. The limit is hundred years, but who is going to live hundred years? Nobody. If one is eighty, seventy years, it is considered... Within sixty, seventy years everyone finished. But the age limit is hundred years. So what tapasya he'll do? What meditation he will do? In the Satya-yuga, by meditation one could get perfection. Just like Valmiki Muni. He meditated for sixty thousands of years. Because in those days a man used to live for 100,000's of years. Gradually it is reducing. In the Satya-yuga man and woman used to live, human being, up to 100,000's of years. Then, next yuga, it was ten thousands of years, reduced by ten times. And then, next yuga, next millennium, it is one thousands of years. And now, in the Kali-yuga, it is one hundred years. So it is very difficult to perform tapasya. But the recommendation is there, tapasa brahmacaryena [SB 6.1.13].

So brahmacarya, tapasya begins -- brahmacarya, celibacy, no sex life. That is the beginning of tapasya. Meditation means tapasya. So tapasa brahmacaryena samena [SB 6.1.13]. Sama, to control the senses, to keep in equilibrium. Senses may not be agitated. Damena, even it is agitated, by my knowledge I have to curb down. Just like if I become agitated by seeing a beautiful girl, or for woman, a beautiful boy... That is natural. Yuvatinam yatha yunor yunor yatha yuvah(?). Young boy, young girl, they are naturally attracted. There is nothing surprising. But tapasya means that "I have taken vow, no illicit sex." That is knowledge. "Why? Even if I am attracted, I shall not do this." This is tapasya. And "Because I am now attracted, now we shall enjoy" -- that is not tapasya. Tapasya means even one is attracted, he should not act. That is tapasya. There may be some difficulty to control, but that should be practiced. It can be practiced. It is not very difficult. But one has to practice the determination: "Now I have taken vow before Deity because at the time of initiation, it is promised before the Deity, before the fire, and before the spiritual master, before the Vaisnava, that 'I'll not have illicit sex.' That is promised. How can I break it?" This is tapasya. "I have taken vow before the Deity, before fire, before my spiritual master, before the Vaisnavas, 'No illicit sex, no meat-eating, no drinking or intoxication, no gambling.' I have promised it. If I am gentleman, how can I break my promise?" This is called jnana. With knowledge one has to respect. That is called tapasya. With knowledge. Otherwise, to become attracted, that is not unnatural. Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to say... He was sannyasi. He said that "Even if I see a doll made of wood, a beautiful woman, My mind becomes agitated." So what to speak of us? So this is the example. Caitanya Mahaprabhu giving some... To be agitated in the mind, that is not unnatural, but if you practice, then you'll not be agitated anymore. If you practice by your knowledge, then you'll not be agitated. That is called dhira. Dhiras tatra na muhyati [Bg. 2.13]. You have to become dhira.

Dhira and adhira, there are two classes of men. One is sober. Even there is cause of agitation, still he remains firm. He is called dhira. And adhira means as soon as there is cause of agitation, he became a victim. That is called adhira. So we have to become dhira. We have been adhira in so many different forms of life because I am coming to this human form of life after evolution of 8,000,000 forms of body. Jalaja nava-laksani sthavara laksa vimsati. That is evolution. So after... Bahu sambhavante. After many, many years I have got this opportunity. In other lower animal life I have enjoyed the senses in so many ways. So sense enjoyment is not very difficult. Even there... Visayah khalu sarvatah syat. The hogs and pigs, they have got facility for sense enjoyment. They do not care even who is who. Even she is mother or she is sister or she is daughter, they will enjoy sex. That is hog life. You have seen. There is no discrimination. And the monkeys, they are enjoying sex life. So everyone enjoys sense life. So "Why? I have got this valuable life, human form of life. Why I shall become a living entity like hogs and dogs?" This is called tapasya. "Why I shall become hogs and dogs and again I shall put myself in the cycle of birth and death? I have got this life after so many evolutionary process. Why not practice little tapasya in this life?" This is knowledge. "If by practicing little tapasya, restraint, I can get relief from this repetition of birth and death, why shall I not do it?" This is knowledge. And if I again become victimized... The laws of nature is there. If you want, you can enjoy. Nature will give you. "All right, you want so much sex. All right, come on. Become a hog. Yes." So nature is ready. It is not very difficult. Therefore the sastra says, "No, no, no. This life is not for becoming a hog and dog." Nayam deho deha-bhajam nr-loke kastan kaman arhate vid-bhujam ye [SB 5.5.1].

The whole world is working so hard. They are going to the office. They are going to the..., working hours to earn livelihood, but what is the pleasure? The pleasure is sex. That's all. Their ultimate goal is sex. Yan maithunadi-grhamedhi-sukham hi tuccham [SB 7.9.45]. So, one should consider, "The sex indulgence is given to the hogs and dogs, and for the same enjoyment I'll have to work so hard?" This is knowledge. "For same enjoyment? I have got this human form of life for understanding Krsna, for understanding God, my position, what I am. I am not this body. I am spirit soul. I have been put into this body, and because I have been put into this body -- the body is material -- it must finished. It must be finished." Anything, it has got six changes. Anything material, it has got birth, it has got growth, it has got aftereffect, then dwindles, and then finished, everything, anything you take, the material. This is called sad-vikara, six kinds of changes. So I am eternal. Na hanyate hanyamane sarire [Bg. 2.20]. I do not die after this body is finished, and again I will have to... Tatha dehantara-praptih [Bg. 2.13]. So this is knowledge. One has to always think of this. That is called tapasya.

So a little... Kanduyanena karayor iva duhkha-duhkham. This is sastra, that "What is this sex life?" It is said, kanduyanena karayor iva duhkha-duhkham. Yan maithunadi-grhamedhi-sukham hi tuccham [SB 7.9.45]. Grhamedhi. Grhamedhi means one who does not know what is the aim of life. Grhamedhi and grhastha. Grhastha means although he is living with wife and children, but he knows what is the aim of life. That is the grhastha asrama. As the sannyasi knows what is the aim of life, similarly, a grhastha also may know. So such grhastha, sex life is allowed, who knows the aim of life. And one who does not know the aim of life, simply enjoys sex, he is called grhamedhi. These two words are there. In Sanskrit literature every word has got particular meaning, particular thought. Therefore it is called Sanskrta, most performed and purified literature, Sanskrit. Sanskrit means purified. Samskara. Just like we offer samskara at the time of initiation, purification. So our main problem is the sex life. That is... Because sex life is the basic principle of material life. Either you are human being or you are demigod or you are a bird, you are a beast, you are a fly, you are a fish, you are tree, plants -- everything -- the basic principle of material life is sex. Pumsah striya mithuni-bhavam etat tayor mitho hrdaya-granthim ahuh [SB 5.5.8]. Everything is there. You have got books. You study and follow the practice. Be little sober. It is not that you'll not be able. You'll be able. And Krsna will help. As soon as you are very eager, then Krsna will help. Tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam [Bg. 10.10].

So therefore the Deity worship is there. Along with Deity worship we should always pray, "Krsna, kindly save me from the pitfalls of maya." He'll do it. But if we want to cheat Krsna and cheat guru, then you'll be cheated. That's all. The guru will not be cheated, neither Krsna will be cheated. You'll be cheated. That's all. If you want to be cheated, then do whatever you like and prolong your this term of repetition of birth and death. And if you want to stop it, then here, the tapasa brahmacaryena samena ca damena ca tyagena [SB 6.1.13]. Tyagena. This is also one of the tapasya. Don't keep with you anything, even... Then you will make plan: "Let me have illicit sex. Let me have intoxication." As soon as you have got money. Best thing is, as soon as you get money, immediately you spend it for Krsna. Tyagena, charity. Charity. Tyagena means charity. Not that you starve. No. That kind of starvation... You keep yourself fit to execute Krsna consciousness, but don't keep much money. Immediately give in charity to Krsna. Krsna can take your charity as much as you can give.

Just like Bali, Bali Maharaja. Bali Maharaja, he secured the whole three worlds. He became the master of the three worlds, means the upper planetary system, down planetary system, middle planet. So, but he was a devotee also. Therefore Krsna came to him as Vamana.

chalayasi vikramane balim adbhuta vamana
    pada-nakha-nira-janita-jana-pavana
    kesava dhrta vamana sarira
    jaya jagadisa...

So, because he was very proud of his possession, so Vamanadeva came to Bali Maharaja: "Maharaja, you are ksatriya. You are very charitable, I have heard. If you can give me little land?" So Bali Maharaja was very much pleased: "Yes, I will give You. How much land You want?" "Now, three feet." "Three feet? For this you have come to me?" "Yes, yes." So, "All right, I will give you three feet." So by one feet He covered the whole sky, and the other feet, he covered the whole down planetary system. So Bali Maharaja understood that what kind of beggar is He. (laughter) Yes. So Vamanadeva said, "My dear Bali Maharaja, you promised three feet, but by two feet you have finished all your possession. So what about the other feet?" So Bali Maharaja, he was a devotee. He said, "My Lord, don't worry. Still there is. It is my head. Place Your other feet on my head." So Vamanadeva said, "Now you have purchased Me by your charity. I shall remain your doorkeeper." So if you make charity to Krsna you can purchase Krsna. Yes. Although Krsna is all-powerful proprietor, you can purchase Krsna. So do that. If you have got any money, spend for Krsna consciousness.

rimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.13-14 -- Honolulu, May 14, 1976
  • Volunteer
    Pradyumna: Translation: "O inhabitants of Vaikuntha, you are sinless, but those within this material world are all karmis, whether acting piously or impiously. Both kinds of action are possible for them because they are contaminated by the three modes of nature and must act accordingly. One who has accepted a material body cannot be inactive, and sinful action is inevitable for one acting under the modes of material nature. Therefore all the living entities within this material world are punishable."

Prabhupada:

sambhavanti hi bhadrani
    viparitani canaghah
    karinam guna-sango 'sti
    dehavan na hy akarma-krt
     [SB 6.1.44]

This material world is karma-krt -- you have to do something. Krsna has explained that "Without acting, you cannot even maintain your body and soul together." Sarira-yatrapi te na prasiddhyed akarmanah. If you become idle, then you cannot even maintain your body. That is the difference between civilized man and uncivilized man or developed country... (aside:) Stop that. Developed country and undeveloped country. Just like America. This land was inhabited by the Red Indians. They could not do anything, but the Europeans, when they migrated, they made it so beautiful country. So karma-krt, one has to work. This material world is so made. Trtiya karma-sanga anya saktir isyate.

In the Padma Purana, Visnu Purana: parasya saktir vividhaiva sruyate [Cc. Madhya 13.65, purport]. God's energy are varieties. All those varieties are grouped into three divisions. Out of that... Three divisions means tatastha-sakti, antaranga-sakti, cit-chakti. Tatastha-sakti and this external, or this karma-sakti... The... Trtiya saktih karma-sanga anya. It is mentioned that the spiritual world is just manifestation of cic-chakti, and this material world is creation of material energy or karma-sanga, where everyone has to work. Without work, it is said, na hi suptasya simhasya pravisanti mukhe mrgah. That is very nice example. In the forest the lion is supposed to be the mightiest animal, and he is sometimes called the king of the animals, pasu-raja. So in one place it is said that even the lion, who is the king of the forest, if he sleeps and he thinks that animals will come and enter in his mouth, that is not possible. He has to also find out how to eat. Na hi suptasya simhasya pravisanti mukhe mrgah. The lion is so powerful, but he cannot also dictate.

So there is another story,

buddhir yasya balam tasya
    nirbuddhes tu kuto balam
    pasya simho madonmatah
    sasakena nipatitah

There is a story that a lion was killed by a rabbit. Sasakena nipatitah. Why? Now, buddhir yasya balam tasya: "One who has got intelligence, he has got power." A lion is very mighty, ferocious animal, and a sasaka, a ordinary rabbit, he killed a lion. How? Now the lion was disturbing all animals, so all the animals held a meeting and called the lion: "Sir, you do not try to kill us all, hunting after everyone. We shall go voluntarily every day, one of us. So you don't create disturbance. Let us become peaceful." So lion agreed, "All right, if you voluntarily come, I will sleep, and if you enter in my mouth..." So this was the agreement. There was the turn of one rabbit. So he planned something. So he went to the lion a little late. So lion was very angry that "Why you have come late? I am very hungry, and you did not come." (laughter) So the rabbit said, "Sir, there was a danger in the way." "What is that?" "There is another lion, and he wanted to kill me and eat, so I protested, 'No, sir, you cannot kill me. (laughter) I am destined to be killed by such and such lion, so you cannot do it.' " So he was very much pleased: "Where is that lion?" "Please come. I will show you." So he took him near one well. So he... The rabbit said, "He is living within this." (laughter) The lion immediately... "Come on. Make a how!' " So there was vibration, still higher sound, and he saw his photo, yes, shadow. So he thought it, "Yes, there is lion." He immediately jumped over him. (devotees laugh) Finished. So how the lion was killed by the rabbit? Now, buddhir yasya balam tasya: "One who has got intelligence, he has got power." The foolish... So everywhere you will find.

So how one is intelligent, how one is dull, how one is via media -- that is due to these three gunas: sattva-guna, rajo-guna, tamo-guna. If one is intelligent, that is one of the qualification of sattva-guna. Jnanam vijnanam astikyam. The brahminical qualification... Satyah samo damo titiksa arjavam eva ca, jnanam vijnanam astikyam brahma-karma svabhava-jam [Bg. 18.42]. In the society, human society, there must be a class of brahmana, intelligent class. So our Krsna consciousness movement is trying to create a section of the human society -- real brahmana, intelligence. And the intelligence means Veda. Veda means knowledge. Knowledge... One who has got sufficient knowledge, he is intelligence, not the fool, rascal. So therefore the... There is Vedas, and there are Vedanta, Vedanta. Veda, Vedanta, source of knowledge. So Vedas means knowledge, and Veda-anta... Anta means the last word. So that anta knowledge, or the last word in knowledge, is Srimad-Bhagavatam. Vidya bhagavatavadhih, they say. Knowledge, expansion of knowledge, the last word is Srimad-Bhagavatam. So it is the explanation of Vedanta. Bhasyam brahma-sutranam **. Vedanta's another name is Brahma-sutra. In India there are Mayavadi sannyasis. They advertise themselves as the Vedantists, "one who knows Vedanta." But actually they do not know Vedanta. Real Vedanta is Srimad-Bhagavatam, because this is commentary. Bhasya ayam brahma-sutranam. Brahma-sutra is Vedanta.

So Vedanta, what is that Vedanta? That is explained by Krsna in the Bhagavad-gita, vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyam: [Bg. 15.15] "Vedas means to understand Me." That is Veda. If one does not understand Krsna, his so-called Vedic knowledge or Vedanta knowledge is useless, srama eva hi kevalam, simply labor.

dharmah svanusthitah pumsam
    visvaksena-kathasu yah
    notpayed ratim yadi
    srama eva hi kevalam
     [SB 1.2.8]

Everyone is engaged in executing a particular type of faith or religious system, ritualistic. That's all right. Dharmah svanusthitah. You are Hindu; you are doing your Hindu ritualistic ceremony or religious rules and regulations. Or a Christian is doing nicely, or a Muhammadan is doing... That's all right, but we are interested -- those who are followers of real Vedanta -- to see the result. Phalena pariciyate. Phalena means "by the result." So what is the result? The result is by executing one's particular type of religious system, he must develop Krsna consciousness or God consciousness. That is the test. If you are unaware of what is God, what do you mean by God, and you are very, very religious, that is useless. One must know God. So therefore, those who are in the lowest grade of human life, they cannot understand. Na mam duskrtino mudhah prapadyante naradhamah [Bg. 7.15]. Naradhama ... Nara means human being, and adhamah means the lowest. So one who is in the lowest grade of human society, they are called the svapaca. Svapaca. Svapaca means those who are the dog-eaters. So in this way there is description. There are others also.

So here the same thing is...

sambhavanti hi bhadrani
    viparitani canaghah
    karinam guna-sango 'sti...

This guna-sanga... Why one is in the lowest grade, and why... There are three grades generally, and if you mix it, it becomes eighty-one. Three into three equal to nine; nine into nine, eighty-one. Therefore we have got so many species of life, 8,400,000. So how it is possible? Now, guna-sango 'sti. In the Bhagavad-gita also it is... Karanam guna-sango 'sya sad-asad-janma-yonisu [Bg. 13.22]. Why there are different varieties of life, so many, 8,400,000? Now, what is the reason? Karanam... Karanam means reason, the cause. Guna-sanga. Guna-sanga. Now, here is temple, and a few yards after this temple there may be a brothel, there may be liquor house. So somebody is coming here, and somebody is going there. So what is the reason? Karanam guna-sango 'sti. One is attached to sattva-guna; one is attached to rajo-guna; one is attached... But everyone is working, and that working must be under the influence of one of these three qualities: sattva-guna, rajo-guna, tamo-guna.

So if one associates with the sattva-guna, then he is promoted gradually to the higher planetary system. Higher planetary system. Urdhvam gacchanti sattva-sthah [Bg. 14.18]. Everything explained in the Bhagavad-gita. Those who are developing the good qualities of this material world, three qualities, so urdhvam gacchanti sattva-sthah. The upper planetary system, heavenly planetary system... Therefore we say that you cannot go to the moon planet, from the sastra. Because the moon planet, who will go? Urdhvam gacchanti sattva-sthah. Unless one is in the modes of goodness, they cannot enter there. It is not possible. "By force," if you say, "Yes, we have gone; we are going," you may say, but we are followers of the sastra. Sastra-caksusah. We see through the sastra. We understand that these men, they are not even rajo-guna, or maybe in rajas-tamo-guna. But where is sattva-guna? Sattva-guna. So through the sastra we can understand that who is who through sastra. Therefore in my poetry, on the strength of sastra, I said that rajas tamo gune era sabai acchanna, vasudeva-katha ruci mahe se prasanna: [SB 1.2.16] "Most of the population here is covered by the material modes of ignorance and passion. Absorbed in material life, they think themselves very happy and satisfied; therefore they have no taste for the transcendental message of Vasudeva. So I do not know how they will be able to understand it." Actually that is the fact. Everyone, so many swamis and yogis, come in this country. So they advertise in India that they went out of India for preaching Vedanta. But being influenced, what Vedanta they learned? When they returned to India, they have learned how to entice women and how to eat meat. This is their Vedanta. Because karanam guna-sango 'sya. If you are not strong enough, then association will induce or influence. If you are not a Vaisnava, then if you go in a brothel or a liquor house, then you will be influenced by the drunkards and prostitute-hunters. But if you are strong enough, then you will... The effect you will give your effect of association; they will be Vaisnavas. That is the difference.

There is a scientific story that one doctor friend, perhaps you know, the Dr. Ghosh who came. When he was student, he read in a medical magazine that one girl..., her name was Mary. So there was a Mary contamination. What is that? Typhoid, yes. Wherever she used to go, there was typhoid fever, so many people suffering, but she was not suffering. So by analysis of the blood, it was found that this girl, the blood was full of typhoid germs, but she was so strong that she could resist. She was not suffering, but wherever she used to go, everyone was infected with typhoid. So that is the explained. Karanam guna-sango 'sya [Bg. 13.22]. If you are strong enough, then the lower qualities will not affect you. And if you are not strong, if you are weak yourself, then where you are going to convert, they will induce their infectious quality, and you will be victimized. So karanam guna sango 'sya. So in the Western countries, everywhere, all over the world at the present moment, Kali-yuga, the guna, the rajo-guna and tamo-guna, is very prominent. The rajo-guna... How it is understood that the rajo-guna, tamo-guna, is prominent? Now, the rajo-guna, tamo-guna, the symptom, rajas-tamo bhavah kama-lobhadayas ca ye... Tada rajas-tamo-bhavah kama-lobhadayas ca ye [SB 1.2.19]. When one is infected with tamo-guna and rajo-guna, the symptoms will be that he is very greedy and lusty. This is the symptom. If one is very greedy and lusty, then you should know that he is infected with rajo-guna and tamo-guna. And if one is not greedy and lusty -- satisfied in every circumstances, and is Krsna conscious or trying to become Krsna conscious -- then it is sattva-guna. He is turned.

So by the culture of this Krsna consciousness, one comes to the sattva-guna, the immediate effect, sattva-guna. Just like our students: little association with this Krsna consciousness movement, they immediately come to the sattva-guna, at least officially. Although rajo-guna, tamo-guna, was there, but it overlaps. So how it overlaps? What is this process?

srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah
    punya-sravana-kirtanah
    hrdy antah-stho abhadrani
    vidhunoti su-hrt-satam
     [SB 1.2.17]

Krsna is within everyone. If we simply hear the words and the instruction of Krsna, srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah... So this Srimad-Bhagavatam and Bhagavad-gita -- full of Krsna's pastimes, Krsna's instruction. So if we hear this, especially these two books, Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam, srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah, then you become pious. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah. There is no need of separate attempt. If we simply hear every moment or as many times as possible, then we become purified. Punya-sravana-kirtanah. One who is speaking, he is also becoming pious, and one who is hearing, he is also becoming pious. Punya-sravana-kirtanah.

So, pious? What is the meaning of pious? Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah, hrdy antah-stho abhadrani. The... Everything is causing effects within the heart, within the heart. The civilization or not civilization means the change of heart. A man is civilized because he has changed his heart. A man is uncivilized? He has not changed. Just like you know the story of Sik... What is that? Sikari? The name, I forgot.

Candanacarya: Mrgari?

Prabhupada: Mrgari, yes. So Mrgari was in the lowest status of tamo-guna. He was killing animals half-dead, and he was enjoying. But when he became Krsna conscious, elevated, he was not prepared to kill even one ant. You know this story. That is the change, change of heart. The same man, same man who was killing animals in the jungle half-dead... And when Narada Muni asked him that "Why you are killing half? Kill them complete. They are suffering. You will be more sinful," he said, "My father taught me that this is pleasure."

So this is going on, tamo-guna, rajo-guna. But if we simply hear this Srimad-Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita... Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. How it is possible? Nasta-prayesv abhadresu nityam bhagavata-sevaya [SB 1.2.18]. This abhadra -- inauspicious, nasty things within our heart, most uncivilized way of life, killing of animals -- this will be stopped. Nasta-prayesv abhadresu nityam bhagavata-sevaya [SB 1.2.18]. By hearing the message of God, bhagavatam bhaktih uttama-sloke bhavati naisthiki, gradually you become devotee. This is the process, how to transcend the material qualities. That is explained.

So this, my song... I was thinking on board the ship that rajas tamo gune era sabai acchanna, vasudeva-katha ruci mahe se prasanna [SB 1.2.16]. Nobody is interested. At the present moment, everyone is covered by the rajas-tamah, the base qualities, ignorance and passion, so they have no interest in Krsna consciousness. That is not possible. One has to purify himself. Tada rajas-tamo-bhavah kama-lobhadayas... [SB 1.2.19]. When we kill the rajas-tamo-bhavah, ceta etair anaviddham... When our heart is no more contaminated by the rajas-tamo-bhavah, ceta etair anaviddham sthitam sattve prasidati. There are three gunas. If you make minus these two gunas, rajas-tamo-guna, then the remaining -- only sattva-guna. So these rajas-tamo-guna can be counteracted simply by hearing about Krsna. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. So therefore I wrote, tabe jadi tava krpa hay ahaituki, sakala sambhava hay tumi se kautiki, that "God is all-powerful, Krsna is all-powerful. He can do everything impossible, possible." So whatever is being done in our Krsna consciousness movement, don't think that it is my influence of my... It is Krsna's. Krsna can do everything. He can change sattva-guna into tamo-guna, tamo-guna into rajo-guna, rajo-guna into sattva-guna. That is as He likes. Just like a expert electrician: he can turn the heater into cooler and cooler into heater. The electric energy is the same. Similarly, parasya saktir vividhaiva sruyate [Cc. Madhya 13.65, purport]. He has His energy. If He likes... My point is that this Krsna consciousness movement has come to your country by the will of Krsna. So here is favorable situation because the will of Krsna is there, that "Now the Westerners, especially the Americans, they should become Krsna conscious." That is His will. So you take the opportunity, cooperate with Krsna, and you will be successful.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.44 -- Los Angeles, June 10, 1976
  • Volunteer

"Better Without Disturbance"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna: Translation: "The candidates for punishment are those who are confirmed by these many witnesses to have deviated from their prescribed regulative duties. Everyone engaged in fruitive activities is suitable to be subjected to punishment according to his sinful acts."

Prabhupada:

etair adharmo vijnatah
    sthanam dandasya yujyate
    sarve karmanurodhena
    dandam arhanti karinah
     [SB 6.1.43]

So you can say that "God is dead" or "There is no God," but that is not the fact. The atheist class of men, they want that there may not be any God; they can do whatever they like. That is not possible. Just like in a small state there are so many CID, police and so many other depart..., detectives, just to find out who is transgressing the law. So in this big government of the universe, how do you think that there is no system of finding out who is culprit? So what is adharma? Etair adharmo vijnatah. Adharma, irreligiosity, or transgressing the law, that is adharma. Dharma and adharma... Dharma means obeying the laws. Just like good citizens means who is obeying the laws of the state. He is good citizen. And other person who is disobeying, they are called outlaws. So what is dharma? Just like it is the duty of good citizen to abide by the laws of the state, similarly, dharmi, a person who is religious, means who is abiding by the laws of God. That's all. And who is not abiding, he is adharmi. That is the difference.

So what is our dharma? Living entities, we are part and parcel of God; we are not separated from God. Just like this finger is not separated from the whole body, a part of the body. So when Krsna says that "All these living entities, they are My part and parcel..." Mamaivamso jiva-bhutah jiva-loke sanatanah [Bg. 15.7]. Not that the part and parcel is differently created. As soon as the body is there, the part and parcel are also there. So what is the duty of the part and parcel? Just like this finger. I am feeling some itching sensation; immediately comes, naturally, without asking. It's always ready to serve. This is the duty of the part and parcel. So if we are part and parcel of God, then what is our duty? To serve God, that's all. This is our duty. So anyone who is serving always Krsna, or God, he is dharmi; he is in dharma. And who is not serving is adharma. Because a duty... It requires treatment. This finger, part and parcel of my body. I want to get some service from the finger, but if the finger is diseased or due to some pain or some injury it cannot serve the body, it requires treatment. This is natural. Similarly, punishment means treatment. Why government has opened so many prison house? So this punishment... Government does not desire to keep the prison house open and inviting, "Please come here." No, that is not the policy. Policy is that "One who is outlaw, diseased, he should be brought here and corrected."

So Yamaraja is for this purpose. When we are punished that is no envious envy on the part of God or His agent; it is our correction, I think the Yamaraja, er, the Yamadutas said in the beginning that "We have come to take Ajamila just to correct him." So dharma and adharma... Our real dharma is to serve God. That is our real duty. And as soon as we neglect this permanent service or occupation, then we are liable to be punished. You cannot become independent of God. That is not possible. That will (not) make you happy. The healthy condition of the finger is that it is able to serve the body. If the finger is not able to serve the body, that will mean unhealthy. Otherwise... Similarly, when we are engaged in Krsna consciousness and engaged in the service of the Lord, that is our healthy state. That is mukti, liberation. Mukti means no disease. So when we deny to serve Krsna, when we are not engaged in the service of Krsna, that is our diseased condition. That is not healthy condition.

So this Krsna consciousness movement is a treatment to cure this disease, atheist and rogues, to come to Krsna consciousness and be happy. This is Krsna consciousness movement. It is not an artificial thing to give you facility for your sense gratification. No. There is no question of sense gratification. That is disease. The healthy state is how to satisfy Krsna. That is bhakti. Bhakti definition, you know:

anyabhilasita-sunyam
    jnana-karmady-anavrtam
    anukulyena krsnanu-
    silanam bhaktir uttama
     [Brs. 1.1.11]

That is bhakti, no other business. Anyabhilasita-sunyam. Sunyam means zero. We are singing, ara na kariha mane asa **. Make all... They could not understand. They are so much atheistic that it was impossible for them to understand what is God, what is devotion. So therefore Lord Buddha propounded the philosophy, "Make all your nonsense activities zero, so much. First of all make zero, then positive we shall say." That is zero movement, sunyavadi. At least, if a rascal children is always doing something nonsense, then first of all stop him. Make him zero. Then good lesson: "Come. Do this." So this Buddhist movement means to make their atheistic activities zero. At least that is good. It is better not to... Maunam, silent. Instead of talking all nonsense, better be silent; don't create disturbance. So... And the other movement, nirvisesa-vadi, are giving little hint, Sankaracarya, Mayavada, that "Yes, this zero is not sufficient. There is positive." Brahma satyam jagan mithya. His movement was that "This material world is false; make it zero. But there is a positive thing which is Brahman." What is that Brahman, he did not disclose.

Then the Vaisnava acaryas, Ramanujacarya, Madhvacarya, they said, brahma satya. And what is Brahman? Brahmeti paramatmeti bhagavan iti sabdyate [SB 1.2.11]. Brahman, first realization, impersonal; then localized; then person. Just like Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita, imam vivasvate yogam proktavan aham avyayam: [Bg. 4.1] "Long, long years ago, millions of years ago, I spoke this philosophy to the sun-god, Vivasvan." So, Krsna, as He was instructing Arjuna, similarly, He was instructing the sun-god that... Arjuna is a person. Krsna is a person. Similarly, sun-god is also a person, and Krsna is a person. And Krsna says in the Second Chapter of Bhagavad-gita that "My dear Arjuna, you, Me, and all of them who are standing here in this battlefield, we were existing in the past, we are existing now, and we shall continue to exist." So God is person; we are also person. We existed in the past as person, we are existing now as person and we shall continue to exist as person. There is no question of imperson. If past, present, future, everywhere is a person, where is the question of imperson? So imperson means... Just like the sun-god is person, but the sunshine is imperson. Those who are in the sunshine, they cannot understand what is sun-god. That is not possible. It requires strength. If you want to go and see the sun-god Vivasvan, that requires qualification. It is not so easy. You cannot enter even the sun planet, what to speak of talking with him. But Krsna could talk. Krsna can go anywhere. And when there is sun-god, then "god" means not alone. A king does not mean alone. King means he has got his kingdom, he has got his subjects, he has got minister, he has got military strength. Everything is there. So similarly, if we accept Krsna's statement that "I spoke to sun-god," the sun-god is there in the sun globe, and he has his kingdom, so dazzling kingdom. It looks like fire, blazing. But don't think it is impersonal. Impersonal? How Krsna could talk with him? There is no question of impersonality.

So here, adharmah vijnatah, the degrees. Real dharma is, Krsna is explaining in the Bhagavad..., sarva-dharman parityajya... [Bg. 18.66]. You have created, man-made, so many dharmas. So one Bengali Vaisnava, he has mentioned, prthivite yaha kichu dharma name cale, bhagavat kahe taha paripurna chale. Bhagavata, Srimad-Bhagavatam says, dharmah projjhita-kaitavo 'tra: [SB 1.1.2] "In the Srimad-Bhagavatam all kaitava" -- kaitava means cheating -- "cheating type of religious religious system is kicked out." Projjhita, dharmah projjhita-kaitavo atra. So dharma is one; religion is one. There cannot be different types of religion. That is concoction. Dharmam tu saksad bhagavat-pranitam [SB 6.3.19]. I have several times... So dharma and adharma. These witnesses are there to see who is disobeying the orders of the Lord. That is adharma. A clear order is that sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]. This is dharma. Everything is explained in the Bhagavad-gita, what is jnana, what is dharma, what is vairagya.

So we have got this opportunity, this human form of life. As I was saying yesterday, krsna-bhuliya jiva... Anadi bahirmukha jiva krsna bhuli gela, ataeva krsna veda-purana karila. We do not know when, but since a very, very long time, anadi... Adi means it is beginning of this creation. And before that, anadi. Anadi bahir-mukha jiva. We are forgetful of Krsna since a very, very long time, and going within the cycle of birth and death, transmigration. So we get the opportunity, this human form of life. So we must revive our consciousness by going through, by understanding, by hearing these literatures. Veda-Purana. Veda-Purana. Anadi bahir-mukha jiva krsna bhuli gela. Our position is: we have forgotten God. But this forgetfulness can be subdued, and we can revive our original consciousness. Just like a man sleeping, but if you call him again and again, "Mr. such and such, get up. Get up. Now your time is to go to office and do this, to do that," similarly, although we are sleeping on the lap of maya, kota nidra yao maya pisacira kole, so we can be awakened by simply this chanting process, Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

So this chanting Hare Krsna mantra will cleanse our heart. We are loaded with so many dirty things, so this can be cleansed. Ceto-darpana-marjanam bhava-maha-davagni-nirvapanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. This Krsna consciousness movement is to cleanse the heart of the human being and get out all the..., projjhita, kick out all dirty things and concentrate on devotional service of Krsna. And the beginning is srnvatam, srnvatam, this process. It doesn't require that you should be very rich man or you should be very educated or so on, so on. No. In whatever position you are, remain. There is no question of artificial improvement. There is no question. You remain. Simply God has given you the ear. Utilize it properly. That's all. You don't require to go to the university and get a Ph.D. degree and then you can understand. No. That is Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mission, that,

jnane prayasam udapasya namanta eva
    jivanti san-mukharitam bhavadiya-vartam
    sthane sthitah sruti-gatam tanu-van-manobhih

Caitanya Mahaprabhu's movement is so nice that you don't require to acquire something artificial. No. Wherever you are, remain there. Simply hear. And preaching means to propagate or to vibrate what Krsna has said. So this is the position of the preacher, that you simply repeat, like a parrot, no qualification. You simply ... Whatever is said in the Bhagavad-gita, you repeat. And the others simply hear. Sravanam kirtanam [SB 7.5.23]. Then both of them become liberated. There is no question of that, to become a qualified person. This is the only qualification, that a preacher should preach only what Krsna has said. That's all. No manufacturing, no concoction. And the audience? They will hear from such person who does not speak anything else except Krsna's teaching, that's all. These two things, if carried, then your both the life,(?) the sravanam kirtanam, the one who is speaking and one who is hearing, both of them are benefited.

So this Krsna consciousness movement is opening so many centers just to give people opportunity to hear. To hear. So I am very glad that this church... This was a church, and nobody was coming here, and therefore it was sold to us. Now... You are all belonging to America, Los Angeles, and the church also was there. Now why it is crowded? It is not that you are imported from India to hear about Krsna. (laughter) So if there is substance, they will hear. If there is no substance, who will hear? That is the difference. So substance is here. Ataeva krsna veda-purana karila. You hear these Vedas and Puranas and make your life successful.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.43 -- Los Angeles, June 9, 1976

• Volunteer
  • Volunteer
    Pradyumna: (leads chanting, etc.) Translation: "The sun, fire, sky, air, demigods, moon, evening, day, night, directions, water, land, and the Supersoul Himself all witness the activities of the living entity."

Prabhupada:

suryo 'gnih kham marud devah
    somah sandhyahani disah
    kam kuh svayam dharma iti hy
    ete daihyasya saksinah
     [SB 6.1.42]

In the Christian religion they do not believe karma, that I did something in my past life. "Where is the evidence that I did something; therefore I am suffering?" They take the analogy: just like a criminal in the court is convinced when there is sufficient witness, not that I have complained against you, and you go to the court, you are punished. No. My charges against you should be corroborated by sufficient witness. So the Christian religionists, they do not believe in the next birth, transmigration of the soul, something like that. So they do not believe also in the fruitive activities' resultant action of our past life. This very word "witness"... It is my personal experience. I was student in the Scottish Churches College, and we had to attend half an hour Bible class. So Dr. W.S. Urquhart, he was teaching, Reverend W.S. Urquhart. He said, I remember, that "Where is the evidence? The Hindus believe in the karma, but where is the evidence that I did it?"

The answer is here, that... We may not compare our inefficiency with the arrangement of the Supreme Lord. Now, God has kept so many witnesses. How you can escape? Here is a name, list of witness. Surya first of all -- the sun. So how you can escape Surya's light? You cannot escape. So here is one witness. Then Agni, fire. Then Kham, the sky. Where there is no sky? Here we are sitting; there is sky. And there is light also. Then Marut, air. Deva. Who is deva? Demigods, yes. Then Soma. At night there is moon. Sandhya, evening or noon. Noon is also sandhya. Sandhya means junction. When the night is going away -- the day is coming early in the morning -- that is also sandhya. When midday, the forenoon is passing -- the afternoon is beginning -- that is also sandhya. Tri-sandhya. Tri-sandhya. We have to chant Gayatri mantra tri-sandhya, early in the morning, in the midday and in the evening. That is tri-sandhya. Yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah yasyaprasadad na gatih kuto 'pi **. What is next line?

Devotee: Dhyayan stuvams tasya yasas tri-sandhyam.

Prabhupada: Tri-sandhya. This tri-sandhya, early in the morning, midday and in the evening. So every sandhya is witness. Sandhya, ahani, day and night together, whole day, twenty-four hours, ahani. Ahany ahani loka gacchanti yama-mandiram. This ahani. Every day hundreds and thousands of living entities are dying. Sesah sthitam icchanti kim ascaryam atah param. Still, one who is not dead, he is thinking, "I'll not die. I'll remain." This is the wonderful thing, most wonderful thing. Everyone should be prepared for death. Death is inevitable. So disah, and ten directions: north, south, east, west, the four corners, eight, and up and down. They are ten directions. Where you'll go? Everywhere there is witness. You cannot escape. Kam kuh svayam. What is kam kuh?

Devotee: Water and earth.

Prabhupada: Water and earth, yes. So how you can escape God's eyes? Sarvatah pani-padam tat sarvato caksuh. Everywhere God's eyes are there. So you cannot escape. You are wanting witness? Here are so many witnesses. How you can hide your sinful activities? That is not possible. You can hide yourself from the material laws, that "The police has not seen me. Then I may escape." No. God's law you cannot do that. That is not possible. So we should remember it, that when we act sinfully, then there are so many witnesses, and we have to be punished. You cannot escape. Kam kuh svayam. Svayam. These are so many gods, witnesses, and over and above them svayam, the Personality of Godhead in His Supersoul feature Supersoul means God is present in everyone's heart. Not only heart, He is everywhere present, even within the atom.

yac-chaktir asti jagad-anda-caya yad-antah
    andantara-stha-paramanu-cayantara-stham
    govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami
     [Bs. 5.35]

The Lord, in order to maintain this material world, how He has expanded, it is described in the sastra. Eko 'py asau racayitum jagad-anda-koti. Jagad-anda means this universe. Anda: it is egglike. Anda means egglike, jagat-anda, the universe. So that universe is not one. We are seeing only one universe with our, these naked eyes, but when we see through the eyes of sastra, authority... Sastra-caksusat. This is Vedic knowledge, that "Don't be simply after your, these defective eyes." What is the value of these eyes? There are so many things. Just like this morning we were discussing: you take photograph from the sea. What you will see? But there are many millions of fishes within the sea. What you will take, photograph? They say that "We have taken photograph on the moon planet. There is no life." What is the value of this photograph? Can you take photograph in the water, how many fishes are there? So what is the value of your photograph? This is the difficulty, that these rascals, they do not accept that they are defective. That is the difficulty. With their defective senses they are thinking, "We are perfect. Because we have got a photograph, telescope, therefore it is sufficient." It is made by you. You are defective, and whatever you make, that is defective. This is the conclusion. This is right conclusion. If blind man, if he creates some telescope or..., can he see? You are blind. What you can see? But they are taking evidence: "We have seen with photograph, with telescope."

So these questions were never raised. We are now raising these questions. And they were passing on. No. This is not the process. The process is sastra-caksusat, sabda-pramanam. That is the Vedic injunction, sabda-pramanam. Just like you are sleeping, and somebody is coming to kill you with knife. So how you can take precaution? You are sleeping. But some of your friend or relative: "Get up! Get up! Get up! There is enemy! There is enemy!" Immediately you wake up. That means you see with the ear, not with the eyes. The real seeing is through the eyes, er, through the ears. Suppose one does not know who is your..., who is his father. So how he can see the father? Through the ear, not with the eyes. That is not possible. The mother says, "My dear child, here is your father," and you see through the eyes: "Here is my father." So therefore real eyes -- the ear, not these eyes. Real eyes. That is real seeing. Therefore sastra says, Vedic knowledge, that sastra-caksusat, pasyati jnana-caksusat: "One can see by the eyes of knowledge," not by these blunt eyes. This is useless. They cannot see. And how you can see through the sabda? Sastra means sabda. Through the ear... My Guru Maharaja used to say, "Don't try to see a saintly person by your eyes. You see a saintly person by the ear." Because if you hear from the saintly person and if he is speaking from the experience which he has heard from the, another saintly person -- this is called guru-parampara -- then the knowledge is perfect. Yesterday we ... The Yamadutas said that iti susruma. Never said, "I have seen it." Vedo narayanah saksat svayambhur iti susruma: "We have heard it." Vedo narayanah saksa... He never says, "I have seen it." No. Iti susruma. So this is experience, real experience, real knowledge. Vedo narayanah saksat. Veda is directly Narayana. So Narayana... You can see Narayana. You can hear about Narayana. Sravanam kirtanam visnoh [SB 7.5.23]. Visnu is Narayana. This is the beginning of understanding Narayana, sravanam kirtanam. Never says, "By seeing, by touching, by licking up." No. You cannot see. That is not experience. Real experience is iti susruma. So if we take our knowledge that there is no witness what we did in our previous life, that is nonsense. Here are the so many witnesses. Iti susruma. Hear. You cannot say there is no witness. You hear from the Vedic literature how many witnesses are present there for all your activities and how they are becoming recorded minutely, and everything will be judged. Therefore the Yamaraja is there.

So this is our position, that prakrteh kriyamanani gunaih karmani sarvasah [Bg. 3.27], ahankara-vimudhatma. Anyone who is proud of his so-called knowledge, so-called experience -- simply "I believe," "I think," "It may be," "Suppose" -- what is this knowledge? They're all nonsense. When you get knowledge susruma, from the authority, that is knowledge. Otherwise all useless. All useless. Because your senses are imperfect. You cannot see properly. You cannot hear properly. You cannot touch properly. You cannot smell properly. These are your instruments for getting experience. You cannot go. How you can say in other planets there is no life? You cannot go. According to the scientists' calculations, they say that to go to the topmost planet it will take forty... Eh? Forty thousands of years. Who is going to travel forty thousand years? But we are seeing. The planets are there. Go there and see. You cannot estimate of one universe, which you are practically seeing. And in the sastra we hear that there are millions of universes.

yasya prabha prabhavato jagad-anda-koti-
    kotisv asesa-vasudhadi vibhuti-bhinnam
    tad brahma niskalam anantam asesa-bhutam
     [Bs. 5.40]

So we have to take knowledge from sastra. And who will teach me sastra? Tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet [MU 1.2.12]. Go to guru. Tad-vijnanartham. Just like you go to some superior person to learn something. That is the process. Similarly, the same process... You have to go to a person who has also heard. Susruma. You go to that, not that person who says that "I suppose," "I believe," "Maybe." No. You go to the person who says, iti susruma: "We have heard it from authorities." You have to go to that person. Srotriyam brahma-nistham [MU 1.2.12]. Who is guru? Srotriyam: "Who has properly heard." Srotriyam. And what is the result? Brahma-nistham: by hearing, he is firmly convinced there is God. You have to go to such guru. lf you go to a fakir, what he will teach you? No. Fakir means one who talks much without any knowledge. He is called fakir.

So everything is, direction is there. Tad-vijnanartham. If you want to know that science, then Tad-vijnanartham sa gurum eva: [MU 1.2.12] "must." Gacchet. This verb is used when there is the sense "must." If somebody says, "All right, I shall learn even without going to any guru," no, that is not possible. Therefore this verb is used, gacchet: "You must if you want to learn." Otherwise you remain in darkness. This is Vedic injunction. Susruma? You must hear from the right source; then you will get perfect knowledge. So therefore, whether there is witness or not witness, we cannot understand from a so-called professor. There is witness, sastra says. And how can you deny it? If surya... first word is surya. The surya is the eyes of God, one eye. Another eye is the moon. And it is described in the sastra,

yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam
    raja samasta-sura-murtir asesa-tejah,
    yasyajnaya bhramati sambhrta-kala-cakro

So Surya can see that... We have got some rays of the eyes, three feet. But, you see, from the 93,000,000 miles away he is seeing you. So brightly he is seeing. So you have to understand in that way. The sastra says, "Here is the eyes." Another eye, another eye, one after another, one after another. How you will escape? That is not possible.

Therefore we must be very cautious and, I mean to say, with sense we must act, and if we act according to the direction of the sastra, then our position is safe. Otherwise, we are risking life. Risking life means this human life, human life. The dog has got ear; we have got also ear. But a dog cannot understand sastra; that is not possible. Or the elephant has got ear, very big ear. (laughter) Does it mean that he can hear more? No. This is rascaldom. One must be quite able to hear to understand sastra. Therefore sastra is meant for the human society. In the Caitanya-caritamrta you will find, the Sanatana Gosvami's teachings, you will find, anadi bahirmukha jiva krsna bhuli gela, ataeva krsna veda purana karila. Why these Vedas and Puranas are there? Just to remind us. The veda purana karila. Veda, the four Vedas and other literatures abiding by the Vedas... Purana means supplementary Vedas. There are many historical incidences. They say "mythology." No, it is not mythology. It is from selected historical incidences put together, but the same Vedic instruction for common man. In the Vedas the mantras are there. Common man cannot understand. Janmady asya yatah [SB 1.1.1], athato brahma jijnasa. This Veda mantra goes on. But ordinary persons, they cannot understand. Therefore the same Vedas explained with reference to the historical incidences, that is called Purana. Purana means "who is complete." Purana, purayati iti purana. So, the Mayavadi philosopher, they say the Puranas are stories. No. The Bhagavata is Purana. It is full of stories. But what kind of stories? All Vedic instruction. Just like Ajamila. Ajamila began, itihasa. The Bhagavata Purana is speaking itihasa, in the beginning. It is said. So Sukadeva Gosvami is giving incidences of itihasa, history, example from the history. So this is actual fact.

So in order to convince Pariksit Maharaja how chanting of Hare Krsna mantra is powerful, he is giving a lesson from the history, how Ajamila was delivered simply by chanting "Narayana." This is the incidence from the history. And it is history. The story begins, kanyakubje. Kanyakubja is still there in India. Perhaps you have heard the name of Kanpur. So that is within the Kanyakubja area. Kanyakubje dvijah: "There was a brahmana in Kanyakubja." Historical name is all... So it is history. It is not story, mythology. No story. It is historical fact. Anything which is described in the sastra... The Bhagavata is Maha-Purana. Don't be misled, "These are mythology." No, these are historical facts. And we have to learn the Vedic knowledge by the description selected from the history so that we can easily understand. This is the purpose.

So in our, this human form of life we should be very careful, and what is ordered that "You should do like this..." Just like if you go to a medical man, so if you are diseased, a medical man, physician, will give you a prescription that "You take this medicine, and you do not take this kind of food. You can take this kind of food." Ahara-pathya. So if you want to cure your material disease, then two things are required: the medicine and the food. It is called pathya. The proper food and proper medicine. The proper medicine is chanting Hare Krsna, and the proper food is Krsna prasada.

Devotees: Jaya!

Prabhupada: Take these two things -- you are liberated.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.42 -- Los Angeles, June 8, 1976
  • Volunteer

"Total Dependence-Independence"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Devotee: (leads chanting, etc.) Translation: "The supreme cause of all causes, Narayana, is situated in His own abode in the spiritual world, but nevertheless He controls the entire cosmic manifestation according to the three modes of material nature -- sattva-guna, rajo-guna and tamo-guna. In this way all living entities are awarded different qualities, different names such as brahmana, ksatriya and vaisya, different duties according to the varnasrama institution, and different forms. Thus Narayana is the cause of the entire cosmic manifestation."

Prabhupada:

yena sva-dhamny ami bhava
    rajah-sattva-tamomayah
    guna-nama-kriya-rupair
    vibhavyante yatha-tatham
     [SB 6.1.41]

So supreme controller is Narayana, or Krsna. Krsna also explains... Here in the sastra, we understand that Narayana is the supreme controller. In many other places the same thing is explained.

isvarah paramah krsnah
    sac-cid-ananda-vigrahah
    anadir adir govindah
    sarva-karana-karanam
     [Bs. 5.1]

So Krsna explains in the Bhagavad-gita: aham sarvasya prabhavo mattah sarvam pravartate [Bg. 10.8]. So Narayana... In the Vedic mantra also, the same thing: eko narayana asit. In the beginning, Narayana was there. So Narayana is not alone. When you say the king is coming, it does not mean that king is coming alone. King is coming with his ministers, with his secretaries, with his military forces, bodyguards, many thousands. Similarly, when we speak eko narayana asit, narayana parah avyaktat, it does not mean that Narayana is alone. Narayana is always... If a king can be surrounded by so many officers and ministers, and Narayana is the supreme king, so how He is surrounded by paraphernalia we can just think over.

So Narayana-dhama, the Vaikuntha-dhama ... There are millions and millions of Vaikuntha-dhamas in the spiritual world. As we see in this material world. And in each planet Narayana is there in different forms. That is described in the Caitanya-caritamrta. Different forms means Narayana has the same form, four hands with four symbolic weapons, simply changing -- sankha, cakra, gada, padma; gada, cakra, sankha, padma -- like that. These things are explained in the Caitanya-caritamrta. So in the Vaikuntha, the spiritual world, Narayana is there. And above these Vaikuntha planets there is the Goloka Vrndavana planet. That is described in the Brahma-samhita:

cintamani-prakara-sadmasu kalpa-vrksa-
    laksavrtesu surabhir abhipalayantam
    laksmi-sahasra-sata-sambhrama-sevyamanam
     [Bs. 5.29]

There is the Goloka Vrndavana, the description is there. There are also trees, there are also animals. And Krsna is there. And He is being served by laksmis, the gopis. Sahasra-sata-sambhrama-sevyamanam. With great respect they are serving. These descriptions are there. There, trees are desire trees. Whatever you want from that tree, you'll get. The cows are surabhi cows, means you can draw milk as many times as you like and as much as you like. Surabhir abhipalayantam.

So when we speak of Vrndavana, it is not imagination. In the sastra, there is description, how Krsna is there, what He is doing. Especially it is mentioned: surabhir abhipalayantam. Krsna has got this hobby. Just like our hobby-dog-abhipalayantam. We keep, every one of us, especially in the Western countries, a dog. So why not Krsna keeping so many cows? What is the difficulty for Him? So He, intentionally, He becomes a cowherd boy. That is His pleasure. Just like here, we, a minute particle of God, we have got so many hobbies. So He has ... Because nothing can be present here without being in Krsna. Therefore Krsna says, aham sarvasya prabhavo [Bg. 10.8]. Whatever is there in this material world, bad or good, similar things are there in the spiritual world. The difference is here everything, bad, and there everything, good. That is the difference. Here we have made bad and good; it has no meaning. Caitanya-caritamrta kaja, Kaviraja Gosvami, he has explained the conception of bad and good in this material world. He says, 'dvaite bhadrabhadra-(jnana,) sakale sama 'ei bhala, ei manda', sab mano-dharma. In the world of duality... This is the world of duality. So the absolute... There is absolute world. That is spiritual world. But here there is duality, bad and good. You cannot understand bad without having some conception of good, and you cannot understand good without having some conception of bad. You require the opposite. So in the spiritual world, this duality conception is absent. Everything is absolute. We have to understand this theoretically at the present moment. But there, everything is cintamani. Everything is alive, spiritual.

So Narayana's place is there, sa dhamani. That is His own abode. This is also Narayana's abode, this material world. Just like king. King's kingdom is very widespread, but still, he has got a palace. That is sa dhamani. Everywhere his property, government property, but still there is a government house, particular. Similarly, everything belongs to God, isavasyam idam sarvam [Iso mantra 1], everything. Everything, God's property. Bhoktaram yajna-tapasam sarva-loka-mahesvaram [Bg. 5.29]. He is the proprietor. But still He has got His own abode. That is Goloka Vrndavana. Goloka eva nivasaty akhilatma-bhuto [Bs. 5.37]. That is God. He's always there. He hasn't got to go out for some business. No. He hasn't got to work for maintaining His establishment. No. He is complete, and He's staying there. Just like Krsna... It is said in the sastra: vrndavanam parityaja na padam ekam gacchati. Krsna never leaves Vrndavana. He doesn't go anywhere. He's always existing there. But still, He's everywhere. That is His inconceivable potency. Goloka eva nivasaty akhilatma-bhuto. We are limited. I am sitting here; I'm not in my apartment. But Krsna is not like that. Krsna is in His abode, Goloka Vrndavana -- He doesn't leave that place any moment -- but you'll find Krsna everywhere. Goloka eva nivasaty akhilatma-bhuto [Bs. 5.37]. Don't think that "Krsna is not here." Krsna is here also. You see, personally, Krsna is present here. Don't think that it is not Krsna, it is some stone statue. No. He's Krsna. But because you cannot see Krsna, He's appearing just that you may see. Because you cannot see without stone and wood. Therefore it is called arca-vigraha, arca-avatara. Arca-avatara.

Therefore: arcye visnau sila-dhir gurusu nara-matir vaisnave jati-buddhih naraki. Forbidden, that never think the vigrahah, the form of the Lord, as stone or wood. Arcye visnau sila-dhir. One who thinks like that..., gurusu nara-matir, and the spiritual master as ordinary human being. Arcye visnau sila-dhir gurusu nara-matir vaisnave jati-buddhih: Vaisnava, who has become a devotee, to accept him belonging to some caste or nation or some... No. He doesn't belong to anything... Never to think that's he's American Vaisnava, he's Indian Vaisnava, he's brahmana Vaisnava, he's ksatriya... No. This is jati-buddhih, classification. Vaisnava does not belong to any jati. He belongs to Krsna, krsna dasa. Jivera svarupa haya nitya krsna dasa [Cc. Madhya 20.108-109]. Therefore practically you can see the members of Krsna consciousness, some of them are Indians, some of them are Europeans, some of them are Englishmen, some of them are black, some of them are white, some of them are brahmanas, some of them are Hindus, but they do not think anymore that "I belong to this category." No. No. Or otherwise they could not work. Every one of them completely aware that "We are all Krsna's servants." Similarly, guru is not ordinary human being. Gurusu nara-matir. Guru is not ordinary human being. Ordinary human being cannot preach Krsna consciousness. That is not possible. Krsna-sakti vina nahe krsna nama pracara. So anyone who is preaching, he cannot be considered as ordinary human being. Even though Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura has explained this, that why not ordinary being? His son is calling him "father," or his relatives, they're taking him as ordinary. So Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura says still he is not ordinary human being. Why? Because he is preaching Krsna consciousness. So vaisnave jati-buddhih, gurusu nara-matir, and sri visnu-padatirthau. The... Just like Ganges water, Yamuna water, to think of ordinary water, these are forbidden.

So Krsna, guna nama-rupair vibhayvante yatha-tatham. He has innumerable means and innumerable forms, according to the necessity. Unlimited forms: Narayana, Govinda, Krsna, thousands and thousands of names. But He's situated in His own place, and He's governing the whole creation. Isavasyam idam sarvam [Iso mantra 1]. That is the Vedic mantra. Everything is being controlled by Him. How He is controlling, how He is witness, that will be explained in the next verse.

suryo 'gnih kham marud devah
    somah sandhya ahani disah
    kam kuh svayam dharma iti
    hy ete daihyasya saksinah

This will be explained, next verse, how He is controlling, how things are managed. We can see practically that universal affairs, how things are being managed. Exactly in the right time, the sun is rising, the moon is rising, and they're working exactly to the time. In this season, the sun will stay during daytime so many hours. Exactly we find. Not that this year he's staying from six to six, and next year he's not appearing. No. There is no question of accidents. The same date, same month, and the same appearance of the sun and the moon. Everything. And still we say "There is no God," "God is dead," "There is no controller." This is foolishness. Mudha. The mudhas, the asses... Mudha means asses, one who has no knowledge. It is commonsense affair. That if everything is going on so nicely, how I can think there is no controller? In your house, in your office, if everything goes very nicely, systematically, there is the director, there is the manager, superintendent, and everything is going nice, how, without these things, how the whole universal affair can go so nicely? That is not accidental, that there was a chunk and immediately it became a this and that. No. There was no accident. Mayadhyaksena prakrtih suyate sa-caracaram [Bg. 9.10]. There is no question of accidents. Krsna says, "Under My supervision, everything is going on."

So Narayana, or Krsna, He's controlling everything. And this material world is made of three modes of material nature: sattva-guna, rajo-guna, tamo-guna. Prakrteh kriyamanani gunaih karmani sarvasah [Bg. 3.27]. The Bhagavad-gita also says the same thing. Prakrteh, this material nature, is working under three modes of material nature -- sattva-guna, tamo-guna, rajo-guna. In the rajo-guna, the material world is created. In sattva-guna, the material world is maintained. And in tamo-guna, this material world is dissolved, or annihilated. This is the way, going on. So sattva-guna, maintenance, in charge is Visnu Himself. Without Visnu, nobody can maintain. Just like one contractor, he can manufacture a very big skyscraper building, but to maintain it, it requires another management, how to manage and maintain. And dissolution, anyone can break this big skyscraper. These three things are going on. So the maintenance in charge is Narayana, His expansion, Visnu. Visnu, Visnu is supplying all the needs of our... We are so many living entities, innumerable, but Visnu, Lord Visnu, He is supplying all our needs. Just like father, he supplies the needs of the family, children. Similarly, Visnu is maintaining. Eko yo bahunam vidadhati kaman. So many different varieties of living entities and they have got different demands, different necessities, everything is supplied by Visnu. Eko yo bahunam vidadhati kaman. That is God.

So we cannot declare independence. That is not possible. There is no independence. We are completely dependent on Visnu. There is no doubt about it. You cannot manufacture your necessities, all the necessities. You can manufacture some motorcar or some needle or this or that, but you cannot manufacture the primary necessities of life. That is not possible. When there is scarcity of food, you cannot manufacture in your factory. That is not possible. That you have to receive from Visnu, from God. That, that is explained in the Bhagavad-gita, that annad bhavanti bhutani parjanyad anna-sambhavah [Bg. 3.14]. Parjanyad anna-sambhavah. Anna means food grains. Or even you take that "My anna, my food, is animal." That's all right, either you eat animal or vegetable or food grains, it is supplied by God. You cannot manufacture it. Suppose I am eating vegetables, you are eating meat. But meat you cannot manufacture, a vegetable also I may not manufacture. That is supplied by God. Eko yo bahunam vidadhati kaman. Whatever our necessities are there, it is supplied by God, Krsna. So He advises... This world, although Krsna supplies everything, but still, you have to work. You have to work. This material world means karma-samjnah. Without working, you cannot live. You have to work. There is a verse in the Bhagavad-gita: sarira-yatrapi ca te na prasiddhyed akarmanah. Do not stop working. Some foolish people say that we are not working. We are working for Krsna. It is not that we are not working. Working is necessary here. But the difference is a bhakta is working under the direction of Krsna, and nondevotees are working under the direction of maya. That is the difference. Therefore bhakti and ordinary work, karmis, it looks similar, similar, that these men, they are also working, they're also cooking, they're also going to the Press, they're also typing. They're this... So what is the difference between bhakti and karma? The difference is that we are working for Krsna and others are working for maya. That is difference.

So nirbandha-krsna-sambhandhe yukta-vairagyam ucyate. Working is not stopped. Our Gosvamis, Rupa Gosvami, they retired from their ministerial service, they went to Vrndavana, but the work increased. When they were ministers they were sleeping thirteen hours, but when they went to Vrndavana, they had not time to sleep even for two hours. That is Vrndavana life. That is Vrndavana life. They had no time. Tyaktva turnam asesa-mandala-pati-srenim sada tucchavat bhutva dina-ganesakau karunaya kaupina-kanthasritau. These are the description about the Gosvamis that, by the order of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, they retired from ministerial job. Tyaktva turnam asesa-mandala-pati-srenim. Mandala-pati means very, very big men in society. Minister, his business was with big, big man. Who can see the minister? The zamindar, the big businessmen. So he gave up that association. Then what he became? Bhutva dina-ganesakau karunaya kaupina-kanthasritau. He took up a small loincloth. You have seen the picture of Gosvamis. Why? Just to show compassion and mercy to the whole world who are suffering. So how much business he increased? He was minister of a state. Now he has to do good to the whole world. How much responsibility it is. Nana-sastra-vicaranaika-nipunau sad-dharma-samsthapakau. They had to establish the real purpose of religion-sad-dharma-samsthapakau. So presented so many books so that they may understand what is the meaning of religion. Nana-sastra. Nana means varieties of sastra. Vicaranaika -- after deliberation... You'll find, therefore, Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu or any book written by the Gosvamis, all giving reference from the sastras. Nana-sastra vicaranaika-nipunau sad-dharma, lokanam hita-karinau.

So Vaisnava, the servant of Narayana, narayana-parah sarve na kutascana bibhyati -- they are not afraid to go anywhere for the service of Narayana. Narayana-parah sarve na kutascana bibhyati. Because Narayana has got so many widespread government, and Narayana's servants, narayana-parah, they have to go everywhere. Narayana parah sarve na kutascana bibhyati. They are not afraid, "No, I'll have to go to such distant place, no friend, no money. How shall I go?" No. Narayana is there. Narayana-parah, na bibhyati -- he's not afraid of. "Whether I'm going to die or live, it doesn't matter. I must go there. It is the order of Narayana." This is devotee.

narayana-parah sarve
    na kutascana bibhyati
    svargapavarga-narakesv
    api tulyartha-darsinah
     [SB 6.17.28]

Narayana may order, "Go to hell and preach." "Yes." Tulyartha. "Then if You send me in heaven or hell, I don't mind."
    Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.41 -- Los Angeles, June 7, 1976

This reply was deleted.