Volunteer

Pradyumna: (reading:) "How Krsna becomes attracted by the devotional service of His devotees is described by Narada in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, Seventh Canto, Tenth Chapter, 37th verse. There Narada addresses King Yudhisthira while the King is appreciating the glories of the character of Prahlada Maharaja. A devotee always appreciates the activities of other devotees. Yudhisthira Maharaja was appreciating the qualities of Prahlada, and that is one symptom of a pure devotee. A pure devotee never thinks himself as great; he always thinks that other devotees are greater than himself. The King was thinking, 'Prahlada Maharaja is actually a devotee of the Lord, while I am nothing,' and while thinking this, he was addressed by Narada as follows: 'My dear King Yudhisthira, in this world you, the Pandava brothers, are the only fortunate people. The Supreme Personality of Godhead has appeared on this planet and is presenting Himself to you as an ordinary human being. He is always with you in all circumstances. He is living with you and covering Himself from the eyes of others. Others cannot understand that He is the Supreme Lord, but He is still living with you as your cousin, as your friend and even as your messenger. Therefore you must know that nobody in this world is more fortunate than you.'

In the Bhagavad-gita when Krsna appeared in His universal form, Arjuna prayed, 'My dear Krsna, I thought of You as my cousin-brother, and so I have shown disrespect to You in so many ways, calling You Krsna, or friend, but You are so great that I could not understand.' So that was the position of the Pandavas; although Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the greatest among all greats, still He remained with those royal brothers, being attracted by their devotion, by their friendship and by their love. That is the proof of how great this process of devotional service is. It can attract even the Supreme Personality of Godhead. God is great, but devotional service is greater than God because it attracts Him. People who are not in devotional service can never understand what great value there is in rendering service to the Lord.

'The First Stages of Devotion.' The three categories of devotional service which Srila Rupa Gosvami describes in Bhakti-Rasamrta-Sindhu are listed as devotional service in practice, devotional service in ecstasy and devotional service in pure love of Godhead. There are many subheadings in each of these categories. Generally, it is understood that in the category of devotional service in practice there are two different qualities; devotional service in ecstasy has four qualities; and devotional service in pure love of Godhead has six qualities. These qualities will be explained by Srila Rupa Gosvami later on. In this connection, Srila Rupa Gosvami suggest that the person..., that the person eligible for Krsna consciousness or devotional service can be classified by his particular taste. He says that devotional service is a continual process from one's previous life. No one can take to devotional service unless he has had some previous connection with it. For example, suppose in this life I practice some devotional service to some extent. Even though it is not one hundred percent perfectly performed, still, whatever I have done will not be lost. In my next life, from the very point where I stopped in this life, I shall begin again. In this way there is always a continuity. But even if there is no continuity, if only by chance a person takes interest in a pure devotee's instruction, he can be accepted and advance in devotional service. Anyway, for persons who have a natural taste for understanding books like the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam, devotional service is easier than for those who are simply accustomed to mental speculation and argumentative processes."

Prabhupada: So Narada Muni instructed to Vyasadeva under the verse, tyaktva sva-dharmam caranambujam harer: [SB 1.5.17] "Even one takes to devotional service, takes shelter of the lotus feet of Lord Krsna, some way or other..." Kamad lobhad bhayat, as it is stated in the Srimad Bhagavatam. Just like the gopis, they took shelter of Krsna superficially by lusty desire. But it was not lusty desire. It was pure love. But in the material world same thing will be considered as lusty desire. So where is the difference between love of God and lusty desire? Because ordinary men will consider that gopis were attracted by Krsna in lusty desire. So Caitanya-caritamrta Kaja, Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami, he says that there is difference between material lusty desire and love of God. He has compared that love of God is just like gold, and lusty desire is just like iron. So the difference between lusty desire and love of God is: in the material world, which is going on as love, that is lusty desire. Because the party, both the parties are interested in individual sense gratification. But here, the gopis, or any devotees, they want to satisfy the senses of Krsna. That is the difference between material lusty desire and love of Godhead. Atmendriya-priti-vancha tara nama kama [Cc. Adi 4.165]. When one desires one's own sense gratification... In the material world, suppose a boy loves a girl and a girl loves a boy. That is personal sense gratification. As soon as the personal sense gratification is not satisfied, immediately the so-called love is divorced. No more love. In the Kali-yuga, it is stated in the sastras, dampatye ratim eva hi. In... Love between husband and wife will be disturbed as soon as there is no satisfaction of sex desires. Dampatye ratim eva hi. And in the Western countries, we find... In our country also, it has already begun; there are so many divorce cases. Mostly the divorce cases take place when there is disturbance in sex, sex satisfaction. So that is lust. But here, in the case of Krsna and gopis, that is different thing. The gopis used to dress themselves so that Krsna will feel satisfied, satisfaction. For Krsna's satisfaction. They used to dress for Krsna's satisfaction. That is, of course, very difficult to understand. But we should learn from the sastras. The gopis had no sense gratification desire. They wanted to satisfy Krsna.

krsnendriya-priti-vancha tara nama prema
atmendriya-priti-vancha dhare, tare nama kama
[Cc. Adi 4.165]

So that is the difference. Love of Krsna means to satisfy Krsna, not satisfy sense gratification. We... The practical example is from Bhagavad-gita. Arjuna, Arjuna, in the beginning, he wanted to satisfy his senses. He declined to fight with his grandfather, with his teacher, with his nephew and brother on the other side. He thought that upon their death, he'll not be satisfied. That means sense, his sense gratification. But at the end, when he understood Bhagavad-gita, the essence of Bhagavad-gita, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66],... Our duty is to satisfy the senses of Krsna. So then he, to satisfy Krsna, he killed his kinsmen, his grandfather, his teacher. So that is required -- satisfaction of Krsna, not satisfaction of personal interest. Go on reading.

Pradyumna: "To support this statement there are many authoritative assertions by the learned scholars of bygone ages. According to their general opinion, a person may become governed by certain convictions derived by his own arguments and decisions. Then another person, who may be a greater logician, will nullify these conclusions and establish another thesis. In this way, the path of argument will never be safe or conclusive. The Srimad-Bhagavatam recommends therefore that one follow in the footsteps of the authorities. Here is the general..."

Prabhupada: Mahajano yena gatah sa panthah [Cc. Madhya 17.186]. You cannot come to the conclusion what is sraddha and sadhana by simply argument. Tarko apratistha. By argument, we cannot establish. Srutayo vibhinna. The scriptures are many varieties. Srutayor vibhinna nasau munir yasya matam na bhinnam. And every philosopher must differ with another philosopher. Therefore, mahajano yena gatah sa panthah: We have to follow the footprints of great authorities. They are also mentioned in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, great authorities:

svayambhur naradah sambhuh
kapilah kumaro manuh
prahlado janako bhismo
balir vaiyasakir vayam
[SB 6.3.20]

Yamaraja said that "These are the eight authorities." Therefore we have got sampradaya: Brahma-sampradaya, Rudra-sampradaya, then Laksmi-sampradaya, Sri-sampradaya, and Kumara-sampradaya. The present acaryas, they are Ramanuja-sampradaya, Sri-sampradaya, Madhva-sampradaya, Brahma-sampradaya. In this way... So we have to follow the footprints of the sampradaya. Just like we are Gaudiya, Madhva-Gaudiya-sampradaya. We are following the footprints of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, as enunciated by the six Gosvamis,

sri-rupa sanatana bhatta-raghunatha
sri-jiva gopala-bhatta dasa-raghunatha
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 12, 1972

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Replies

This reply was deleted.