Volunteer

Q.197. HOW CAN ONE BE PURIFIED OF ALL CONTAMINATION CAUSED BY PREVIOUS FRUITIVE ACTIVITIES ?

A.  BY  SRILA  PRABHUPADA.

yathāgninā hema malaḿ jahāti
dhmātaḿ punaḥ svaḿ bhajate ca rūpam
ātmā ca karmānuśayaḿ vidhūya
mad-bhakti-yogena bhajaty atho mām

SYNONYMS
yathā — just as; agninā — by fire; hema — gold; malam — impurities; jahāti — gives up; dhmātam — smelted; punaḥ — again; svam — its own; bhajate — enters; ca — also; rūpam — form; ātmā — the spirit soul or consciousness; ca — also; karma — of fruitive activities; anuśayam — the resultant contamination;vidhūya — removing; mat-bhakti-yogena — by loving service to Me; bhajati — worships; atho — thus; mām — Me.

TRANSLATION
Just as gold, when smelted in fire, gives up its impurities and returns to its pure brilliant state, similarly, the spirit soul, absorbed in the fire of bhakti-yoga, is purified of all contamination caused by previous fruitive activities and returns to its original position of serving Me in the spiritual world. (Srimad Bhagavatam).

PURPORT
According to Śrīla Viśvanātha Cakravartī Ṭhākura, this verse indicates that the devotee goes back home, back to Godhead, and there worships Lord Kṛṣṇa in his original spiritual body, which is compared to the original pure form of smelted gold. Gold alloyed with inferior metals cannot be purified by water and soap; similarly, the heart's impurities cannot be removed by superficial processes. Only the fire of love of Godhead can cleanse one's soul and send one back home, back to Godhead, to engage in eternal loving service to the Lord.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.