ISKCON Desire Tree - Devotee Network

Connecting Devotees Worldwide - In Service Of Srila Prabhupada

namo `stu vrindavana sundarabhyam
namo `stu vrindavana vibhramabhyam
namo `stu vrindavana jivanabhyam
namo`stu vrindavana nagarabhyam

I constantly offer my obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are renowned as the beautiful personalities of Vrindavana.
I offer my obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are bewildered by ecstatic love for each other.
I offer my obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are famous as the life and soul of the residents of Vrindavana.
I offer my obeisances unto the divine couple, who always enjoy Their conjugal pastimes in Vrindavana.

namo ’stu vrindavana satkripabhyam
namo ’stu vrindavana sad-rasabhyam
namo ’stu vrindavana purnatabhyam
namo ’stu vrindavana gocarabhyam

I always offer my obeisances to Their Lordships, who are oceans of mercy and whose storehouse of eternal pastimes is Vrindavana. I offer my respectful obeisamces unto their Lordships, who constantly enjoy various pastimes in conjugal mellows in Vrindavana. I offer my respectful obeisances unto Their Lordships, who wander fully satisfied in Vrindavana, and I offer obeisances unto Their Lordships, who are found in the land of Vrindavana.

Views: 1822

Replies to This Discussion

"The Way To Go Back To Godhead"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna: (leads chanting, etc.)

susrusoh sraddadhanasya
vasudeva-katha-rucih
syan mahat-sevaya viprah
punya-tirtha-nisevanat

Translation: "O twice-born sages, by serving those devotees who are completely freed from all vice, great service is done. By such service, one gains affinity for hearing the messages of Vasudeva."

Prabhupada: Mahat-sevam dvaram ahur vimukteh [SB 5.5.2]. In another place it is said, mahat-seva, rendering service to the pure devotee, mahat. Mahat means who is great soul. Who is great soul? Great soul means who is twenty-four hours engaged in the service of the Lord. In the Bhagavad-gita, the description of mahat, mahatma, is given there:

mahatmanas tu mam partha
daivim prakrtim asritah
bhajanty ananya manaso
jnatva bhutadim avyayam
 [Bg. 9.13]

This is the mahatma. They are under the daivi-prakrti. Daivi-prakrti. There are two kinds of prakrtis. We have studied in Bhagavad-gita: apara-prakrti, para-prakrti. So para-prakrti, or nature, transcendental nature, that is called daivi-prakrti. Just like we are trying to be under the guidance of Radharani, daivi-prakrti. Prakrti means woman, and daivi, transcendental woman. And those who are materialists, they are under the maha-maya, material energy, Goddess Kali, Durga. They are the symbolic representation of material energy.

So those who are materialists, they take shelter of the material energy, and those who are transcendentalists, they take shelter of the transcendental nature. So those who are mahatma, they take shelter of the transcendental prakrti. So we have to render service to such person who is under the protection of the transcendental nature. That is called mahatma. A mahatma, this word you have heard. A mahatma's description is mahatmanas tu mam partha daivim prakrtim asritah [Bg. 9.13]. Mahatma has nothing to do with this material world; he is simply under the care of the transcendental prakrti.

So susrusoh, susrusoh sraddadhanasya. Those who are engaged in hearing with faith, sraddadhana... Adau sraddha. Without faith, you cannot make any progress. This is the beginning of spiritual life. Adau sraddha. "Oh, here is..., Krsna consciousness is going on. It is very nice. They are preaching nice." People still, they are praising our activities. If we keep our standard, then they will appreciate. So this is called sraddha. This appreciation is called sraddha, sraddadhanasya. Even he does not join, if one says, "Oh, it is very nice, it is very... These people are good." Sometimes they, in papers they say that "These Hare Krsna people are nice. We want more of them." They say. So this appreciation is also an, also a lift for such person. If he doesn't hear, doesn't come, simply one says "It is very nice. Yes." Just like small children, a baby, he's also appreciating, trying to stand up with his cymbal. Appreciating. From the very beginning of life, appreciating, "It is nice." He knows or does not know, it doesn't matter. Simply appreciation is giving him a touch of spiritual life. It is so nice. Sraddha. If they do not go against, simply appreciate, "Oh, they are doing nice..." So development of spiritual life means development of this appreciation, that's all. But degrees, there are appreciation.

So susrusoh sraddadhanasya vasudeva-katha-rucih. In the previous verse, it has been explained, yad anudhyasina yuktah. One has to be engaged always thinking. This is the sword. You have to take this sword of Krsna consciousness. Then you become free. The knot is cut by this sword. So... Now how we can get this sword? That process is described here that you simply, with faith, you try to hear. You'll get the sword. That's all. Actually, our this Krsna consciousness movement is spreading. We are getting the sword one after another, simply by hearing. I started this movement in New York. You all know. I had no actually any sword. Just like in some religious principles, they take the religious scriptures in one hand and another hand, sword: "You accept this scripture; otherwise, I'll cut your head." This is also another preaching. But I had also sword, but not that kind of sword. This sword -- to give chance people to hear. That's all.

Vasudeva-katha-rucih. So as soon as he gets a ruci... Ruci. Ruci means taste. "Ah, here is Krsna talks, very nice. Let me hear." This very much you get the sword, immediately. The sword is in your hand. Vasudeva-katha-rucih. But the ruci comes to whom? This taste? Because, as I have several times explained, the taste, just like the sugar candy. Everyone knows it is very sweet, but if you give to a man who is suffering from jaundice, he'll taste it's bitter. Everyone knows sugar candy is sweet, but the particular man who is suffering from disease, jaundice, he will taste the sugar candy as very bitter. Everyone knows it. That's a fact.

So ruci, the taste for hearing vasudeva-katha, krsna-katha, this materially diseased person cannot taste. This ruci, taste. To get this taste there are preliminary activities. What is that? First thing is that appreciation: "Oh, it is very nice." Adau sraddha, sraddadhana. So sraddha, the appreciation, this is the beginning. Then sadhu-sanga. Then mixing: "All right, these people are chanting and talking of Krsna. Let me go and sit down and let me hear more." This is called sadhu-sanga. Those who are devotees, to associate with them. This is the second stage. The third stage is bhajana-kriya. When one is associating nicely, then he will feel, "Why not become a disciple?" So we receive application, "Prabhupada, if you'll kindly accept me as your disciple." This is the beginning of bhajana-kriya. Bhajana-kriya means to be engaged in the service of the Lord. This is the third stage. Then anartha-nivrttih syat.

As soon as one is actually doing bhajana-kriya... Bhajana-kriya means chant Hare Krsna mantra and observe the regulative principles. To observe the regulative principles means anartha-nivrttih syat. Anartha means all rascal habits are immediately vanquished. Just like we say "No illicit sex." So this is only a rascal habit, illicit. "You can marry a boy or girl. If you like, you can have sex." No. They'll not agree. They will agree to that rascal habit, illicit sex. "You want sex? All right. wife, husband." But no, they want illicit, without marriage. Married wife left aside, another illicit. This is anartha, rascaldom.

According to Vedic civilization, because man is very aggressive, so he's allowed to accept more than one wife. He's allowed. Generally, female population is greater than the male population. So the Vedic principle is that every girl must be married by the guardian, father. A father's duty is, as soon as girl is thirteen years old, fourteen years old, it is the duty of the father, or in the absence of father, it is the duty of elder brother to get her married. Some way or other, find out any husband. Yes. So if every girl has to be married, and if the female population is greater, then where to get so many husbands? Therefore it is very nice system that one man can marry more than one wife. That is natural.

So in Vedic system a husband can marry... Why others? Krsna, He married 16,000 wives. But not like us. He was present in the house of 16,000 wives by 16,000 forms. Every, each and every wife had palatial building, establishment. Each wife had ten sons. Not that because He has married 16,000, He cannot meet all of them. No. So that is Krsna; He is God. But even common man... Just like Krsna's father, he had also sixteen wives. Krsna is one wife's son. Vasudeva... Subhadra is another wife's daughter. Balarama is another wife's son. So in order to stop this rascaldom, that a human, I mean to say, man, he's allowed: "Marry them. Keep them nicely. Give them apartment. Give them nice food, nice dress, nice ornament. You enjoy." But rascaldom means "No, without responsibility I shall make phish, phish, phish" that's all.

So this rascaldom, so long the rascaldom is not gone, illicit sex, intoxication... These are called anartha. Anartha. Unnecessarily they have created this atmosphere, illicit sex, intoxication. What is the use of intoxication? There is no need. Just like in our society there is no intoxication. We don't take tea, we don't smoke. Are we dying for that want of tea or smoke? No. Therefore it is anartha; it is unnecessary. So first stage is appreciation, sraddha. Second stage is associating with the devotees. Third stage is to be engaged in devotional service. And if one is actually executing the rules and regulations of devotional service, naturally he'll be freed from this rascaldom. Anartha-nivrttih syat. Then next stage is nistha, faith. That faith, beginning faith, becomes strong, fixed up. Then ruci this ruci, taste. Just like immediately, the person suffering from jaundice cannot taste sugar candy as sweet, but the sugar candy is the only medicine for him. He is to be given sugar candy, and in this way, as the disease is cured, he comes to this taste stage, "Oh, it is nice, it is sweet." (aside:) Don't do that.

So, to come to the stage of taste, you have to first go through the so many... Not so... Five stages.

adau sraddha tatah sadhu-sango 'tha bhajana-kriya
tato 'nartha-nivrttih syat tato nistha rucis tatah

This ruci. Vasudeva-katha-rucih. Susrusoh sraddadhanasya. So if you continually hear with faith and appreciation, then you will come to the stage of tasting, "Yes." Taste means, if you like it, that is called taste. Not that by force one has to eat something. Unless he has got a taste for it... Just like if we are forced to eat meat, we cannot eat, because we have no taste for it. But another, as soon as you give a plate of meat, immediately, voracious eating. Yes. Because he has got the taste for it. So this taste is required. Then you get the sword, yad anudhyasina. If there is taste, then you can very nicely go on chanting Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare,/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. Because taste.

Just like Rupa Gosvami, he increased the taste. They were liberated souls. Therefore, he is writing that "If I could possess millions of tongue and trillions of ear, then I could nicely chant and hear." And so far we are concerned, because we have no taste, that sixteen rounds is also very difficult job. Because we have no taste. Why there is no taste? Because we are lacking in that previous processes. Bhajana-kriya.

So one after another, to get that sword, it, they requires this qualification: adau sraddha tatah sadhu-sangah. Then there is taste. Now how this taste is created, that is also explained in the next line. Syan mahat-sevaya. Mahat-sevaya. Mahat means... I have already explained. A devotee, pure devotee, whose..., who has no other business than to serve Krsna, he is called mahat. So one has to engage himself in the service of the pure devotee. As soon as we serve a pure devotee... As it is spoken by Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura, yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah **. Yasya prasadat. If you satisfy a pure devotee by your service, then, even there is some discrepancies, you get all these qualities. Syan mahat-sevaya rajan. Syan mahat-sevaya viprah. Viprah. All the audience members hearing Suta Gosvami, they were all brahmanas. Otherwise, how they will have got taste? Brahmana, Vaisnava, they have taste. Not the sudras. Because at the present moment there are sudras, they are lacking taste. But our propaganda is, by some way or other, even they are sudras, even they're demons, we are creating the taste. That is our Krsna consciousness movement. Even there is..., there is no taste for vasudeva-katha-rucih, still, our process is so nice that we create the taste. Nobody was interested in Krsna consciousness, but there are thousand now. How? Because we are trying or we have created the taste, by this process.

The process will be explained in the next verses very nicely, but the main principle is to hear. To hear and... That is also natural. If we are pure, then we shall be naturally inclined to hear. Just like child. He is not taught, he is not educated, he has no knowledge, but he is also trying to hear. He's trying to get up and join us. It is natural. Because in everyone's heart that krsna-bhakti, or devotional service to Krsna, is there. But it has been covered by material dirty things. So this chanting of Hare Krsna mantra is ceto-darpana-marjanam [Cc. Antya 20.12], to cleanse that dirty things. The more you chant, more you hear, then the dirty things on the heart will be cleansed. And plus, if you engage yourself to carry out the orders, to satisfy a pure devotee... Syan mahat-sevaya viprah, punya-tirtha-nisevanat... Punya, pious. These are pious activities. Tirtha, tirtha, a saintly person is called tirtha. And nisevanat. In other places also, the same thing is... Mahat-sevam dvaram ahur vimuktes tamo-dvaram yositam sangi-sangam. Mahat-sevam, serving the pure devotee, is the path of liberation. Mahat-sevam dvaram ahur vimuktes tamo-dvaram yositam sangi-sangam. And if we become too much sexually inclined, then it is the path of darkness. Two paths are there. Mahat-sevam dvaram ahur vimuktes tamo-dvaram yositam sangi-sangam. Not only to become personally very much sexually inclined, if you associate with a person who is sexually inclined, then you will fall down in the hell. Yositam sangi-sangam.

So we should be very much careful about this. Married life sex is allowed. Nothing else. That is sinful. Krsna says, dharmaviruddhah kamah. Lust, lust which is sanctioned by religious principles... Sanctioned means... This is sanction: you can have sex life in married life, not otherwise. If you want, more wife. But not more husband. No, that is not allowed. More wife is allowed. A man can have more wives, but woman cannot have more husband. Of course, in special cases, that is another... But generally, this is the rule. This is Vedic civilization. So as far as possible, we shall try to avoid this illicit sex, because that is very detrimental for advancing in the path of spiritual life. Therefore our first principle is no illicit sex. Mahat-sevam dvaram ahur vimuktes tamo-dvaram yositam sangi-sangam.

So things are difficult, at the same time very easy, provided we are determined that "In this life, I shall go back to home, back to Godhead." So these are the processes. So? Purport?

Pradyumna: "The conditioned life of a living being is caused

by his revolting against the Lord..."

Prabhupada: That's all right, no time. Now chant Hare Krsna. (end)
Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.16 -- Los Angeles, August 19, 1972

"Help From Friend In The Heart"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna: (leads chanting, etc.)

srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah
punya-sravana-kirtanah
hrdy antah-stho hy abhadrani
vidhunoti suhrt satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

Translation: "Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead, who is the Paramatma, Supersoul, in everyone's heart and the benefactor of the truthful devotee, cleanses desire for material enjoyment from the heart of the devotee who relishes His messages, which are in themselves virtuous when properly heard and chanted."

Prabhupada:

punya-sravana-kirtanah
vidhunoti suhrt satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

There is a English proverb that "God helps him who tries to help himself." That is a English proverb. So to become Krsna conscious is not very difficult thing. People have no taste. They do not understand the importance of this Krsna consciousness movement. But this is the only way by which one can become perfect and happy.

It is confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita that just to become happy and peaceful one has to learn three things.

bhoktaram yajna-tapasam
sarva-loka-mahesvaram
suhrdam sarva-bhutanam
jnatva mam santim rcchati
 [Bg. 5.29]

If you want... Because the problem is that we want to be happy and peaceful. Everyone says, "I want peace. There is no peace in my mind." That is a general understanding. Nobody can say that "I am completely happy and peaceful." No, that is not possible. The material world is made in such a way that you cannot feel happy. That is not possible. First of all, we have come to this material world to enjoy sense gratification, but that is not our proper business. Our proper business is to satisfy the senses of Krsna, not our senses. So because we have deviated from our original position, therefore it is always a perplexity of our life. But due to illusion we cannot understand it.

Just like a hog is eating stool, living in a very filthy place, having sex without any discrimination, but you see, hogs are very fatty. They feel very happy. Unless one feels very happy, he cannot become fatty. This is a psychology. Yes. We have seen, sometimes, a confectioner, very quickly they become fatty. Because they always smell rasagulla. It is natural. You see. So the hogs, they feel very happy, and get fatty. You see. But actually what is the happiness? He's eating stool, living in a filthy place and no fixity of eating. But still, he's happy.

Therefore Prahlada Maharaja, when he was asked by his father, "My dear boy, will you kindly let me know what best thing you have learned from your teachers?" So Prahlada Maharaja replied,

tat sadhu manye 'sura-varya dehinam
sada samudvigna-dhiyam asad-grahat
hitvatma-patam grham andha-kupam
vanam gato yad dharim asrayeta

"My dear father..." He did not say "father." He said, "My dear the best of the demons..." His father was a demon, and he was not afraid of his father, although his father was always insisting him, "You give up this Krsna consciousness, learn like me, become a very big king, politician." But he would say, "No. Sravanam kirtanam visnoh [SB 7.5.23]. This is best thing." So that was the fight between the father and the son. So sometimes, after all, he was father, sometimes patting the son. So he replied, "My dear the best of the demons, asura-varya..." Asura means demon, and varya means the best. Tat sadhu manye 'sura-varya dehinam. "I think for any living entity who has accepted this material body..."

All of us, we have accepted this material body. Tat sadhu manye 'sura-varya dehinam asad-grahat, sada samudvigna-dhiyam asad-grahat. Because the living entities accepted this material body, asad-grahat... Asat means "that will not exist." Every living entity is eternal. He must have his eternal body. But purposefully, to enjoy this material world, the living entity has accepted a material body. Not only once, but it is going on continually, one after another. As I am accumulating material desires in this life... Just like I have got this body according to my desires in the last life, similarly, whatever we are desiring in this life, that will be fulfilled in the next life. Krsna is very kind. As we desire, ye yatha mam prapadyante tams tathaiva bhajamy aham [Bg. 4.11]. Krsna is so kind that if you want a tiger's body, Krsna will give you. If you want a demigod's body, Krsna will give you. If you want a body like Krsna, Krsna will give you. Mad-yajino 'pi yanti mam. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita. Yanti deva-vrata devan pitrn yanti pitr-vratah [Bg. 9.25]. Whatever you want, especially in this human form of life, whatever you desire, Krsna will give you chance. It may be very unpalatable, but this is a fact. We have heard from authorities.

That is why in Vrndavana there are so many hogs and monkeys and dogs. This is very mysterious thing. The siddhanta, the conclusion is, we get it, information from Bhagavatam... Just like that, the two sons of Kuvera. What is the? Manibandha...?

Devotees: Manigriva.

Prabhupada: Manigriva...?

Devotees: Nalakuvara.

Prabhupada: Nalakuvara. They wanted extensively sense enjoyment. They were enjoying. At that time, Narada was passing. But they were so much intoxicated that they could not cover their body. So Narada cursed them that "You become a tree." But when they were very much submissive, fell down on the feet of Narada, "How we shall get...?" he asked them to get the tree life in Vrndavana. And because they were put in Vrndavana, after some time, they were delivered.

So similarly, those who are executing devotional service, but at the same time cheating... Cheating means outwardly very devotional, inwardly doing all sinful activities. Such living entity is given the chance to become a hog and dog in Vrndavana so that the reaction of the sinful activities, they get this body; at the same time, due to their touch with the dust of Vrndavana, they become eliminated of all sinful activities and liberated. So these hogs and dogs, they're also very important. They are not ordinary thing. But this is the explanation. The tortoise, the... They have, they have got... Therefore a devotee, when he's punished in that way for the short time, they'll be liberated. Undoubtedly.

There is a statement in the Srimad-Bhagavatam:

tyaktva sva-dharmam caranambujam harer
bhajann apakvo 'tha patet tato yadi...
 [SB 1.5.17]

Even one falls down, still, there is no loss. Because he'll get the chance. Krsna will arrange in such a way. They'll get the chance. So actually, there is no loss. But one must be purified completely. So to get this hog's and dog's life means they are being purified. They are being purified. But without being completely purified, nobody can enter into the kingdom of God. That is not possible. Yesam anta-gatam papam. So there is another version in Caitanya-caritamrta:

anivijna tare visaye khana diba
sa caranamrtam diye visa bhula iva(?)

If one, by mistake, while executing devotional service, at the same time, keeping his propensity for sense gratification, material enjoyment, then he is rectified in that way.

So we should be very much careful. Careful... It is said, ksurasya dhara nisita duratyaya. The spiritual path, Krsna consciousness path, is just like sharpened razor. You take your sharpened razor and shave your cheek. If you are expert, it will be very clean-shaved. But if you are not expert, there is little inattention, immediately cut and blood. Ksurasya dhara. This is an example. Durgam pathas tat kavayo vadanti. But the safest way... Here it is stated in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah [SB 1.2.17]. If we attentively hear about Krsna, punya-sravana-kirtanah, if we hear about Krsna, it doesn't matter what I am, but simply by hearing Krsna, about Krsna, I shall acquire some resultant action of pious activities. Just like there is the Bhagavata-saptaha. You, within a week, nobody can understand what is Bhagavata. And the speaker also does not know what he's speaking. But because somehow or other, they're hearing about Krsna, there is some pious resultant action. That's a fact.

So srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. If we engage ourselves... Caitanya Mahaprabhu accepted this process, simply hearing... That is the accepted process, sravanam, sravanam kirtanam. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu also accepted this process. Sthane sthitah sruti-gatam tanu-van-manobhih. He refused so many other processes of self-realization, beginning from varnasrama-dharma, jnana-misra-bhakti, karma-misra-bhakti, karma-tyaga. He, not rejected; he said, "It is external. If you know something more, speak," when He was talking with Ramananda Raya. So when Ramananda Raya quoted a passage from Srimad-Bhagavatam which was spoken by Lord Brahma:

jnane prayasam udapasya namanta eva
jivanti san-mukharitam bhavadiya-vartam
sthane sthitah sruti-gatam tanu-van-manobhir
ye prayaso 'jita jito 'py asi tais tri-lokyam

So Caitanya Mahaprabhu accepted that people should be given chance, some way or other, to hear about Krsna. That's all. These meetings are arranged, these sankirtana parties are arranged... We are sending our men throughout the whole world simply to give them some chance to hear about Krsna. This is the process. And it is actually happening very effective. Simply.

When I was coming here, I was in Manila. What is called?

Devotees: Manila.

Prabhupada: Manila. Yes. Manila, in Philippines. So this Manila, Philippines, they eat dogs. But still they gave very patient hearing to krsna-katha. My last meeting was in a big hotel. Our Sudama Vipra Gosvami Maharaja arranged it, and it was very successful meeting. All full of young men. And they came to hear about Krsna. And they responded very nicely. They purchased books, they danced, they chanted. So this Krsna consciousness movement is progressing only in this basis: srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah [SB 1.2.17]. Just give them chance to hear about Krsna. We are not bribing them. I have not bribed all these American and European boys to become Krsna conscious. I have no money. I, when I went to America, I had only seven dollars. One hour's expenditure in New York. You see. So there is no question of bribing them. But they heard about Krsna. I was reading Bhagavad-gita on the street, on the store, in the park, and chanting. They heard, and they came to me. They became attracted. Why? Because it is said here, hrdy antah-sthah. Within the heart, hy abhadrani...

People are suffering because they have got so many dirty things within the heart. The most important dirty thing are the modes of material nature. Sattva-guna, tamo-guna... Sattva-guna is also not dirty, but it is mixed with dirty things. And rajo-guna, tamo-guna is purely dirty. Rajo-guna, tamo-guna is purely dirty. Here, our intelligence is also dirty, because it is mixed up with these modes of material nature. In the material life, the int..., we are using our intelligence... Everyone is using, or..., his intelligence, how to become happy. The whole world is going on, working so hard. There is intelligence, certainly. But that is dirty intelligence. That is dirty intelligence. Dirty intelli...

What kind of dirty intelligence? That is described in the Bhagavad-gita: duskrtinah. Krti. Krti means very expert, krti. Krti. One who is expert, he's called krti. But here the word has been added: dus. Duskrti. Duskrtin. Just like one who has discovered the atomic bomb. It has required very nice brain. Unless the scientist is very intelligent, krti, how he could discover such dangerous weapon? So there is intelligence, undoubtedly. But the intelligence has been wrongly used. Duskrtinah. They have discovered something to kill man. But they could discover something which will save man. But that is not possible. That is Krsna consciousness movement -- which will save man. You can discover something to kill man, but you cannot discover something which will save man. That is Krsna consciousness. And it is very easy. Simply by giving some time to hear about Krsna. As soon as one sincerely hears about Krsna...

Krsna is situated in everyone's heart. Isvarah sarva-bhutanam hrd-dese arjuna tisthati [Bg. 18.61]. Krsna and I, both are living together within the heart as friends. Krsna is so sincere friend that He's trying always to take me back again, back to home, back to Godhead. That is His business. But I am denying, "No, Sir, I shall remain as hog. I shall be happy by eating stool." Krsna says, "No, give up this business." Sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]. "I'll give you protection." "No, Sir, I'll eat meat, I shall eat the stool. I have got very good facility for sex life without any discrimination." There are so many so-called... I don't wish to discuss, but sex life is so strong that they cannot give up even in so-called devotional life. So this is dirty things. Actually it is very dirty. But one can give it up if one is very strongly under the shelter of Krsna.

yad-avadhi mama cetah krsna-padaravinde
nava-nava-rasa-dhamany udyatam rantum asit
tad-avadhi bata nari-sangame smaryamane
bhavati mukha-vikarah susthu nisthivanam ca

Yamunacarya says. If one... Krsna is Madana-mohana. If one is attracted, actually, by Krsna, madana cannot kill him. Krsna will save. So the... Actually, the dirty thing is our..., this sex desire. Sex desire increases our attachment for this world.

pumsah striya mithuni-bhavam etam
tayor mitho hrdaya-granthim ahuh
ato grha-ksetra-sutapta-vittair
janasya moho 'yam aham mameti
 [SB 5.5.8]

Everything is there, Srimad-Bhagavatam. The ultimate knowledge to understand everything. Unfortunately, they speak on Srimad-Bhagavatam, but not scrutinizingly, pointing out what are the defects in our life. They want to enjoy another type of sense gratification. Anyway, we do not wish to discuss. But actually, if we want to get rid of all dirty things from our heart, we must hear scrutinizingly about Krsna. This is the prescription given here. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. If you do not understand, it doesn't matter. You simply give vibration, hear the vibration. Just like we are doing. What, in European countries and American countries, they'll understand? But we are sending in every important street. In New York we are sending in the Fifth Avenue, the most important street in the world. Fifth Avenue, New York, we are chanting. We have seen pictures in our Back to Godhead. They are chanting. In London, the most important street, Oxford Street, we send our men. In Melbourne, they're, they're now arresting. I do not know what is the position now. But they are prepared. These boys and girls, so nice that they're arrested sometimes. Just like Kazi was torturing Caitanya Mahaprabhu's party. Of course, now, civilized world, there is no such torturing, but our men are, very often they are arrested and put into jail also. But still, they go. They go every day. Now in London, the police has become disgusted. They don't, do not arrest anymore. Yes. So I say that if you are arrested, why you should be sorry? You go in the jail and chant Hare Krsna. That's all. So that others will get the opportunity to hear about Krsna.

So this is our propaganda. Krsna consciousness movement means we are giving chance to people to hear about Krsna. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. The same thing can be done in India also. But we have got better field of activities outside India, I tell you, frankly. I am very much encouraged. Because the, we get very good response quickly. And they become immediately attached to Krsna, as you see the samples here. They have given up, on account of their attachment to Krsna, they have given up all their nonsense, or abhadrani. Abhadrani. Abhadrani. This, the principle abhadrani means illicit sex, intoxication, meat-eating, and gambling. These are the four pillars of abhadrani. So by Krsna consciousness, Krsna helps. Srnvatam... When Krsna sees that "This man, this living entity's now sincere to hear about Me," He helps. Hrdi... Because He's there. You haven't got to find out somewhere else. You haven't got to go to Himalaya to find Him. He's here. Hrdy antah-stho hi. So He's also within. And my all dirty things are also within. So as soon as He sees... I am also within. As soon as He sees that "This living entity's now little serious about hearing about Me," He helps. Hrdy antah-stho hy abhadrani vidhunoti. He helps you. I cannot get out of these dirty things by my own endeavor. That is not possible. But Krsna helps. As soon as we are little serious to hear about Krsna, He helps.

Buddhi-yogam dadami tam yena mam upayanti te. Krsna says. Here, it is indirectly said that Krsna helps. And in the Bhagavad-gita Krsna directly says, "Yes. I give him such intelligence so that he may come back to home, back to Godhead." Yena mam upayanti te. To whom? Tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam [Bg. 10.10]. One who is twenty-four hours engaged in the loving service of the Lord, and satata-yukta... Satata means twenty-four hours. Not officially. Of course, by official, one may gradually come to the position of satata-yuktanam. Bhajatam priti-purvakam. With faith and love, if one is engaged in the service of the Lord, then Krsna says, buddhi-yogam dadami tam. There are two things, buddhi and buddhi-yogam. Buddhi, ordinary buddhi, intelligence, that is dirty. But when it is yogam... Yogam means connected with Krsna. It is called buddhi-yogam.

So we require buddhi-yogam. Not buddhi. If we simply use our buddhi, intelligence, then we continue to become duskrtinah. Buddhi's there, but it is utilized in a misdirected way. That is called duskrtinah. Therefore we must engage our buddhi... Because buddhi is the immediate step before we realize self. First our conception is indriyani, these senses. Indriyani parany ahur indriyebhyah param manah [Bg. 3.42]. We give very much importance to the senses. The bodily concept of life means to give importance to sense enjoyment. That's all. This is bodily concept of life. So indriyani parany ahuh. They are very important. Those who are bodily, in bodily concept of life, they are addicted to sense gratification. Indriyani parany ahur indriyebhyah param manah [Bg. 3.42]. And those who are little advanced more, they are addicted to the mental speculation. The so-called jnanis, mental speculation. Manasas tu para buddhih. Then again you come to the platform of intelligence. Intelligence, and when the intelligence is purified, hrdy antah-stho hy abhadrani, purified, simply by hearing about Krsna, then immediately you are raised to the platform of spiritual life. This is the process.

So,

punya-sravana-kirtanah
vidhunoti suhrt satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

He is very intimate friend of the sadhus, of the devotees. He is everyone's friend. Suhrdam sarva-bhutanam. He's everyone's friend. God, Krsna, He's everyone's friend, but He's a special friend for the devotees. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita. He says,

samo 'ham sarva-bhutesu
na me dvesyo 'sti na priyah
ye bhajanti tu mam bhaktya
mayi te tesu capy aham

Priyah tesu te mayi: because He's God, He's kind to everyone; without His kindness, we cannot live for a moment. That is a fact. But if one becomes a devotee, He gives special protection. Kaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati. So therefore this human form of life is a special prerogative for the living entity, and if we take advantage of it and simply try to hear about Krsna, then our life is successful.

Thank you very much. (end)
Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.17 -- Vrndavana, October 28, 1972

"Krishna Is Omnipotent"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.  PART 1.

Prabhupada:

punya-sravana-kirtanah
hrdy antah stho hy abhadrani
vidhunoti suhrt-satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

Krsna, this sound, transcendental sound. Krsna means the highest pleasure. Highest pleasure. Everyone, every living being, is seeking after pleasure, but he does not know how to seek pleasure. Therefore in this material conception of life we are being frustrated in every step for satisfying our pleasure. Because we have no information from which platform we can have pleasure. That we are discussing for the last few weeks, that we are not this body. We are consciousness. Not exactly consciousness. Consciousness is the symptom of my real identity. I am pure soul. I am merged within this material body... And the modern material science, they have no stress of it. Therefore they are sometimes misled about this understanding of the spirit soul. But the spirit soul is a fact. And everyone can understand by the presence of consciousness. Any child can understand. The consciousness is the symptom of the spirit soul. So the whole process now we are trying from the Bhagavad-gita is to bring one to get him on the platform of consciousness. And if we act from the platform of consciousness, then we may not be pushed again into the platform of this bodily conception. And if we can continue that platform, if we continue to act on that platform of consciousness, then, at the end of this body, not even at the end of this body, even in the presence of this body, we shall be free. We shall be free from material contamination. Our spiritual life will be revived and the result will be that in our next life, next life, after leaving this body, we shall have our full spiritual life eternally.

Spirit is described... We have already discussed on this point that the spirit is eternal. Na hanyate hanyamane sarire: [Bg. 2.20] "Even after the destruction of this body, the consciousness is not destroyed." That continues. Rather, consciousness transferred to another type of body makes me again alive to the material conception of life. And that is also described in the Bhagavad-gita. Yam yam vapi smaran bhavam tyajaty ante kalevaram [Bg. 8.6]. At the time of death, if our consciousness is pure, then it is sure that next life is not material. Next life's pure spiritual life. But if our consciousness is not pure at the point of the verge of death, just leaving this body, then we have to take again this material body. That is the process going on by nature's law. We have got our finer body. This is gross body. The body which you are seeing, which I am seeing, this is gross body. Just like shirt and coat. Within your coat, there is shirt, and within your shirt, there is a body. Similarly, the pure soul is covered by shirt and coat. The shirt is mind, intelligence and false ego. Mind, intelligence and false ego. False ego means that the wrong conception that "I am matter. I am something, product of this material world." This wrong conception makes me localized. Just like because I have taken my birth in America, therefore I think myself American. Because I have taken my birth in India, therefore I think myself as Indian. But as pure soul, I am neither Indian nor American. I am pure soul. Because this is designation. This American, or Indian, or German, or Englishman, or cats and dogs and this and that, black and white, all these are designations. Spiritual consciousness means to become free from all these designations.

So that freedom is achieved when we are in constantly touch with the supreme spirit, Krsna. That supreme spirit is Krsna. So this assembly which we are trying to conduct is just to keep in touch constantly with Krsna. Krsna, Krsna can be in constantly companion with us. Because He's omnipotent, God is omnipotent, therefore He can be exactly in touch with us by His words. His words and He are not different. That is omnipotency. Omnipotency means in everything relating to Krsna has the same potency. Just like here in this material world the..., if you want water, you are thirsty, if you want water, then this water, simply calling, simply saying repeatedly, "water, water, water, water, water," will not satisfy your thirst. Because this word has not the same potency as water itself. You require the water as it is. Then your thirst will be satisfied. But in the transcendental, in the absolute world, there is no such difference. Krsna and Krsna's name and Krsna's words and Krsna's qualities, Krsna's pastimes -- everything is Krsna. Somebody, some people argues that "Arjuna was talking with Krsna. So Krsna was present before him, whereas my case, Krsna is not present. So how I can get direction?" That is not the fact. Krsna is present by His words, this Bhagavad-gita. Krsna... Therefore the system is... Of course, here we don't find such facilities, but India, when we speak on the Bhagavad-gita, or on the Srimad-Bhagavatam, we worship regularly with flower, with other paraphernalia required for worshiping. You see? In the Sikh religion they also, they have no deity, form of the deity, but they worship the book, grantha-seva. Perhaps some of you who are acquainted with the Sikh community, they, they worship this grantha. Similarly, the Muhammadans also, they worship the Koran. And similarly, in your Christian also, you worship Bible.

So it is a fact that Lord Jesus Christ is present by his words, Bible. Similarly, Krsna is present by His words. These personalities, either God or son of God, who come from the transcendental world, they keep their transcendental identity without being contaminated by this material world. That is their omnipotency. We are practiced to say that God is omnipotent. Now, this is His omnipotency. Omnipotency means that He is not different from His name, from His quality, from His pastimes, from His instruction, everything. Therefore the discussion on Bhagavad-gita is as good as you are discussing certainly to Krsna. And not only that; Krsna is seated in your heart, in my heart also. Isvarah sarva-bhutanam [Bg. 18.61]. God, God is situated in everyone's heart. God is not away from us. He's friendly. He's so friendly that in my repeated change of birth, He's with us. He's trying to see when we shall turn to Him. Rather, He's canvassing. He's canvassing. He's so kind that we may forget Him, but He has not forgotten us. He is with us. Just like the father never can forget the son, however the son may forget the father. That is, that is natural. Similarly, God is the original father of everything, everybody, all living entities. We may have different bodies. That is our shirt-coat. It has nothing to do with our real identity. Our real identity is pure soul. That pure soul is the part and parcel of the Supreme Lord. Mamaivamso jiva-bhutah [Bg. 15.7]. You'll find in Bhagavad-gita. And that part and parcel of the Supreme Lord is encaged in this material body. And you'll find in Bhagavad-gita that the Lord is said,

sarva-yonisu kaunteya
murtayah sambhavanti yah
tasam brahma mahad yonir
aham bija-pradah pita
 [Bg. 14.4]

"My dear Arjuna, whatever forms of life you are seeing..." There are eighty-four lakhs species of life. That means eight millions and four hundred thousands of different varieties of life. Not one, two, three or one thousand, two thousand. No. We have not seen. Even the biologists, or the anthropologists, they cannot calculate. But from authoritative, revealed scripture we get this information that there are eight, eight, 8,400,000's of species of life of which human beings, they are divided into 400,000's species of life. And eighty, eighty million, eight million, there are other species of life. But Krsna, the Supreme Lord, claims that all of them, never mind, either he is bird or beast or man or a snake or whatever he may..., god, or semi-god, demigod, anything, whatever... "There are different forms, but apart from the forms, real identity is that all of them, they are My sons. I am actually bija-pradah pita, seed-giving father." Just like the father gives the seed, and the mother receives the seed, and the body is formed according to the mother's body. And when the body is completely formed, it comes out, either from cats, either from dog, either from man, or anything. That is the process of generation. The father gives the seed, and it takes, emulsified, two kinds of secretion within the womb of the mother, and in the first night the body is formed like a pea. Then gradually it develops. There are certain holes, the nine holes. They first of all come out, nine holes. We have got nine holes, two eyes, one mouth, two ears, and penis, and so many things. So when they are fully developed, they come out. And according to their last karma, or action, they get this body and enjoy, or suffer. That is the process of birth and death which is going on. And after finishing this life, again dies, again enters into the moth..., womb of the mother, again gets another type of body, again comes out. This is going on. This is going on.

So we should be very much intelligent that "How long we shall continue this repetition of birth and death and change of body?" Any intelligent man... That is the prerogative of the human form of life. That is the prerogative. He can stop this process, repetition of birth and death. He can get his real, actual spiritual form again and be blissful, full knowledge and eternal life. That is the whole process. So we should not miss this. And the whole thing begins just what we have begun now, now, this chanting and hearing. I wanted to point out that this chanting and hearing is as good as actual association of Krsna. That is stated in the Bhagavata, that srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. This, this process is called kirtana. Even one does not understand the language, still, by hearing only, he acquires some piety. His, his assets become pious life, even he does not understand. It is such powerful. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah... krsna-katha means topics in, in the matter of Krsna. The topics in the matter of Krsna, there are two, two kinds of topics. One topic is this, Bhagavad-gita. It is spoken by Krsna. It is spoken by Krsna. And another krsna-katha, I mean to..., topics about Krsna, is this Srimad-Bhagavatam. That is spoken about Krsna. So there are two types of krsna-katha, and both of them are equally potent. Because it is connected with Krsna.

Now, in the Bhagavad-gita... We find that the Bhagavad-gita is spoken in the Battlefield of Kuruksetra. Now, what we have to do with the battlefield? We have nothing to do with battlefield. We are here to have some knowledge in the spiritual atmosphere, and why should we bother about the battlefield? No. Because in the battlefield there... [break] The whole battlefield has become Krsna-ized. Krsna-ized. Just like if there electric charges, electric current, is in some metal, the whole thing becomes surcharged with electricity, similarly, when Krsna is interested in some matter, then the whole thing becomes Krsna-ized. Otherwise, there was no need of discussing the Battlefield of Kuruksetra. So that is the omnipotency. Now this omnipotency is described in Srimad-Bhagavatam,

punya-sravana-kirtanah
vidhunoti suhrt-satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

Now, simply by hearing the krsna-katha... That means, krsna-katha means... This... krsna-katha, there are many. All the Vedic literatures, they are full of krsna-katha. And all the Vedas means that is also krsna-katha. Any scripture in Veda, that may appear apparently different, but they are meant for krsna-katha. Krsna-katha. Because you'll find in the Bhagavad-gita that vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyah [Bg. 15.15]. The whole topics, they are meant for krsna-katha. (aside:) You'll excuse me. I am called by nature. I shall... [break] So krsna-katha... srnvatam krsna-katha. If you kindly simply hear about this krsna-katha, topics on Krsna, then what will be the result? Because it is pure, transcendental vibration, the result will be srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah, hrdy antah stho hy abhadrani. We have accumulated many inauspicious things within our heart due to our material contamination for many, many births. Many, many births. Not only this birth, but many, many last births. So when we surcharge our heart with the krsna-katha, then the result will be... srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah, hrdy antah sthah.

Hrdy antah sthah. Hrdy antah sthah means the contaminations which we have accumulated within our heart, that will be washed off. That will be washed off so that your heart will be cleansed of all rubbish things. And, as soon as all rubbish things are cleared off, then we are situated in pure consciousness. Because it is very difficult to understand, to eradicate oneself from all the designation. Suppose I am Indian. Is it very easy...? Is it not very easy to take it for granted immediately that I am not Indian, I am pure soul? Similarly, anyone, to not identify with this bodily designation, it is not very easy task. But still, if we go on hearing the krsna-katha, as we have begun here, it will be very easy. It will be very easy. You, you make an experiment. You make an experiment how easily you shall be able to get yourself free from all these designations. And as soon as we are free from the designations... What are the freedom? What are the signs of freedom? The signs of freedom...

punya-sravana-kirtanah
vidhunoti suhrt-satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

Nasta-prayesv abhadresu. Nasta-prayesv abhadresu nityam bhagavata-sevaya [SB 1.2.18], bhaktir bhavati, bhaktir bhavati naisthiki, bhavati naisthiki. Now, as soon as, not cent percent clearance... It is not possible to clear our, I mean to say, rubbish things within our mind all of a sudden or very soon, all things. Even some percentage of the rubbish are cleared off, then at once it happens that our, the influence of the material nature becomes slackened.

tada rajas-tamo-bhavah
kama-lobhadayas ca ye
ceta etair anaviddham
sthitam sattve prasidati
 [SB 1.2.19]

The material nature is working in three modes: goodness, passion and ignorance. Now, ignorance is hopeless life. Passion is too much materialistic. Passion means, one who is influenced by the modes of passion, he wants, he wants this false enjoyment. Although... Because he does not know, he wants to squeeze out the energy of the body to enjoy this matter. That is called modes of passion. And modes of ignorance, they have neither passion nor goodness in the modes of darkness of life. And mode of, modes of goodness is that in that position we can understand, at least theoretically, "What I am, what is this world, what is God, what is our interrelation?" This is the, I mean, stage of the modes of goodness. So by hearing krsna-katha, you will be freed from the two stages of ignorance and passion. You'll be situated in the modes of goodness. At least, you'll have the real knowledge, "What I am." Because in the ignorance... Just like animals... Animals, you see, the animal's life is full of suffering. But still, the animal does not know that he's suffering. Or take the case of a hog. Of course, here in your New York City, no hog is seen, but in village, in India, not only villages, sometimes in towns, we see the hog. Oh, how much miserable life they are, living in a filthy place, eating stools, and always unclean, and anyone sees hog and "Unhh! Nasty." But he, the hog, does not know that he's nasty condition. He's very jolly. (laughs) He's very jolly. The person who's in the upper status of life, he can see that "Oh, this is very nasty life!" The hog is very happy by eating stools and having sex intercourse with the she-hog constantly. Oh, it is getting fat, getting... The hog gets very... Too soon, they become very fatty. Because that spirit of enjoyment is there although the nasty enjoyment... [break]

Then he'll understand what is happiness. So you'll be promoted to that stage of life, goodness.

punya-sravana-kirtanah
vidhunoti suhrt-satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

Nasta-prayesv abhadresu nityam bhagavata-sevaya [SB 1.2.18]. Nityam, daily, as a routine, routine work, if you hear this krsna-katha, then the result will be that nasta-prayesu abhadresu, when all this accumulation of dirty things in our heart accumulated for life after life, they'll be cleared off. And as matter of evidence you'll see that you are not no more in ignorance and in passion, but you are situated in the modes of goodness. Then what is, what is that position? Ceta etair anaviddham. Then your mind will not be attacked by the modes of ignorance and passion. You'll be steadily fixed up in the position of goodness. Then, when you are in goodness, then what is your attitude? Prasanna-manasah. You will find yourself joyful in every circumstances of life. You'll never feel yourself morose.

"Krishna Is Omnipotent"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.  PART 2.

In the Bhagavad-gita you'll find... That is our brahma-bhuta situation. The Vedas teaches us that "You are not this matter. You are Brahman." Aham brahmasmi. Lord Sankaracarya, he preached this gospel to the world that we are not this matter. We are Brahman, spirit soul. So that, when that spiritual realization will be actually done, then your symptoms will change. What are those symptoms? Brahma-bhutah prasannatma na socati na kanksati: [Bg. 18.54] "When one is situated in his own spiritual consciousness, then he will have no hankering and no lamentation, lamentation for loss or hankering for gain." Two things are going on in this material world. The things which we do not possess, we hanker after it: "If I get these things, I'll be happy. If I get these things... Oh, I have no money. If I get one hundred thousand millions dollars, then I'll be happy." This is hankering. And when one hundred thousand million dollars you have got... Some way or other, it is lost, oh, you cry, "Oh, I am gone." So either for earning or we hanker, that is also a kind of distress, and when we suffer loss there is distress. But if you are situated in brahma-bhutah avasthana, you'll be neither, neither distressed, nor hankering. You'll be in equilibrium. Yasmin sthite gurunapi na vicalyate. Even if you are situated in the midst of fiery tribulation, you'll not be disturbed. That is the position.

evam prasanna-manaso
bhagavad-bhakti-yogatah
bhagavat-tattva-vijnanam
mukta-sangasya jayate
 [SB 1.2.20]

Bhagavat-tattva-vijnana... Bhagavat-tattva-vijnana means the science of God. The science of God becomes perceivable by such person who is situated in the brahma-bhuta, I mean to say, status. So from that brahma-bhuta status, we have to work, and that work is recommended here,

buddhi-yukto jahatiha
ubhe sukrta-duskrte
tasmad yogaya yujyasva
yogah karmasu kausalam

Now, so, so long we have got this material body, we have to work. We cannot stop working. That is not possible. But we have to adopt the tactics of yoga so that even by doing ordinary work in which by destiny or by circumstances I am put into, there is no harm. You'll find in Bhagavad-gita that even if you find in your own occupation there is... Suppose I am occupied in some business in which I have to speak lie. Without speaking lie, my business cannot go on. Now, suppose if that is the position. Now, speaking lie is not very good thing, and if you think that your business is not very, based on very moral principle, "So I should give up," then Bhagavad-gita you'll find that "Don't give up." Even if you are put into such circumstances that your livelihood cannot go on without that unfair means, still, you should not give it up, but you should try to make it purified. You should try to make it purified. How it is purified? Now, you should not take the fruitive result of your work. That is meant for God.

So here it is stated that, that buddhi-yukto jahatiha ubhe sukrta-duskrte. Sukrta means pious activities, and duskrta means impious activities. In the material platform we are two things, pious or impious. Pious or impious. Either we are doing some pious activities or we are doing some impious activities or we are doing mixed, pious or impious. So Lord Krsna advises that if you act with intelligence or devotion of the Supreme... Intelligence means... What is that intelligence? That "I am the part and parcel of the supreme consciousness, pure soul. I am not this body." This is called intelligence. If you identify yourself, "I am American," "I am Indian," "I am this or that," then you are material placed.(?) If you identify yourself that "I am neither American, nor Indian, but I am pure consciousness, I am subordinate consciousness of the supreme consciousness, or, in other words, I am servant of God... God is supreme consciousness, and I am subordinate." That... So for our present understanding, subordinate means a servant. But don't carry out the idea of servant in relation to God. Here nobody wants to be servant. Everyone wants to be master. Because to become servant is very, not very, mean, a palatable thing. So but to become a servant of God is not exactly like this. Sometimes servant of God becomes the master of God. The real position of the living entity is a servant of God, but in Bhagavad-gita we see that the master, Krsna, has become the servant of Arjuna. Arjuna is sitting on the chariot, and Krsna has accepted his drivership. Is not the servant of the owner of the chariot? So in spiritual relation we should not carry out the conception of this material relationship. Although the relationship are there. The whole relationship, as we have got experience in this world, the same relationship are there in the spiritual world. But that relationship is not contaminated with matter. Therefore they are pure and transcendental. Therefore they are of a different nature. As we become advanced in spiritual conception of life, then we can understand what is the actual position in spiritual, transcendental life.

So here the Lord instructs that buddhi-yukta. Buddhi-yukta means with the full consciousness that you are not this body. If we act in that way... Now, if I am, I am not body, then I am consciousness. That is a fact. Now, if we act on the consciousness platform, then we can overcome the fruitive result of good work or bad work. It is transcendental stage. It is transcendental stage. It is especially mentioned, buddhi-yukto jahatiha sukrta-duskrte. That means you are acting on other's account, on the supreme account. You are not liable for loss or gain. When there is gain, don't be puffed up. You should think that this gain is for the Lord. And when there is loss, you, you should know that "This is not my responsibility. It is God's work. He'll see." Then you'll be happy. That practice you have to do, everything on account of the Supreme. That transcendental nature we have to develop. Tasmad yogaya yujyasva yogah karmasu kausalam. This is the trick of doing work in these present circumstances. As soon as we work on the platform of bodily consciousness, we become bound up by the reaction of my works. And as soon as I work on spiritual consciousness, I am not bound up either by sukrti or duskrti, either by pious activities or by, I mean to say, vicious activities. That is the technique.

Karma-jam buddhi-yukta hi phalam tyaktva manisinah. Manisinah. This word is very significant. Manisinah means thoughtful, thoughtful. Manisa. Manisa means thought. Manisinah, those who are got, those who are thoughtful, not trifling. Those who are thoughtful. Unless one is thoughtful, one cannot understand that he is not this body. Then how, how you can do work for yourself? What is your position? Now, I am consciousness. What kind of consciousness? Subordinate consciousness. I am the part of the supreme consciousness. Then what will be your activities? My activities will be under the guidance of the supreme consciousness. Just like in office, the managing director is the supreme consciousness. Just for example. Now, everyone is working under him, under his direction. So anyone who is working under his direction, they have no responsibility. They have got simply to discharge the duty, either pious or impious, never mind. In the military rank the order of the captain or the commander is there. The soldier has to execute it. Never mind whether it is pious or impious. It doesn't matter. He has to act simply. Then he becomes a, I mean to say, real soldier. If he acts in that way, he gets remuneration, he gets reward, he gets title, he gets honor. He doesn't care. The commander asks him, "Just go and kill the enemy." He goes and kills. He gets reward. But killing, do you mean to say one gets reward? No. For the duty discharged. For the duty discharged. Similarly, here the whole position is that Krsna is instructing Arjuna. Krsna is the supreme consciousness and Arjuna has to discharge only according to the order of the supreme consciousness. So my, manisinah. Manisinah means those who are thoughtful philosophers, those who can take up things by philosophical conclusion, that "I am consciousness. I am the part and parcel of the supreme consciousness. Therefore my duty is to act according to the supreme consciousness." Just like your hand is the part of your body. Now, it is moving according to my consciousness. The hand is not moving in its own way. As I want, that let the hand be moved, let my legs be moved, let my eye be opened and see, so I am dictating and these parts are working. Similarly we are all parts and parcel, parcel of the supreme consciousness. When we train ourself to move and act in according to that supreme consciousness, then we become transcendental to all these pious or impious activities. That is the technique.

So karma-jam buddhi-yukta hi phalam tyaktva manisinah. Manisinah means thoughtful, those who are thoughtful, those who have understood that "I am the part and parcel of the supreme consciousness and let me act in that way"... Then what will be the result? Just see the fine result: janma-bandha-vinirmuktah padam gacchanty anamayam: "Then he becomes free from the bondage of birth and death, no more birth and death." Janma-bandhana. This is a, this is a very strong shackle. You see? Janma. Janma-mrtyu-jara-vyadhi. The modern scientists, modern philosophers, they do not think about these four things, janma-mrtyu-jara-vyadhi, birth, death, disease and old age. They set it, set them aside. "Oh, let them be happened. Let us enjoy this life, hogs and dogs." This is human life. Human life is meant to make a solution of this bondage: life, I mean, birth, death, disease and old age. If the human civilization has not made a solution of these four things, oh, that is not human civilization. Human civilization is meant for making a complete solution of these things.

So here, in the Bhagavad-gita, just see how the Lord says that karma-jam buddhi-yukta hi. Karma-jam. Karma-jam means whenever you act, there will be some reaction. If you act good things, there will be a good reaction. If you act bad things, there will be bad reaction. But reaction, either good or bad, that is, in higher sense, all suffering. I have already explained to you another, some other day, that suppose by good action I get good birth, good riches and good features of the body, good education, all these thing I get, but that does not mean that I am free from the material pangs. The material pangs are janma-mrtyu-jara-vyadhi: birth, death, old age and diseases. Because you are rich man, because you are beautiful man, because you are educated man, because you are born in a aristocratic family, that does not mean that you have avoided death, old age and disease. So we shall not be concerned with pious activities or impious activities. We shall be concerned with transcendental activities. That will save me from this bondage of birth, death, old age and disease. That should be our aim of life. We should not be hankering after good or bad things. Because everything here, in higher consciousness, everything material... Now, take for example... Suppose you are diseased, suffering from some disease. You are lying on the bed. And you are eating in that stage, you are passing your nature's call in that way, and taking bitter medicines, and always you have to keep by the nurses clean. Otherwise, there is some obnoxious smell. In such a condition you are lying, and some friends come to you and ask you, "My dear such and such, how are you today feeling?" "Yes, I am today feeling well." What is this "well"? He's lying on the bed. He's passing his nature's calls in that way. He's eating bitter medicine, and he, he cannot move. All these inconveniences, and he says that "I am well." Similarly, in our material conception of life, if we think, "I am happy," that is foolishness. That is foolishness. There is no happiness in material life. It is impossible to get happiness. Then we do not know meaning of happiness. Therefore this very word is used, manisinah. We want to happy, to become by some extraneous, artificial means. And how long it will stand? It will not stand. You'll again come back. Suppose by intoxication you feel happy. Oh, that is not your actual happiness. Suppose by chloroform I am unconscious; I don't feel the pains of operation. Oh, that does not mean that I am out of these pains and pleasures. This is artificial. So real, real pleasure, real life is here, as recommended in Bhagavad-gita by Sri Krsna. Just see. Karma-jam buddhi-yukta hi phalam tyaktva manisinah. Manisinah means the thoughtful. "They give up the reaction of, of work, being situated in the platform of consciousness. And the result will be that janma-bandha-vinirmuktah, this bondage of birth and death and disease and old age, he becomes free from that." Then the next life? Padam gacchanty anamayam. Anamayam. Anamayam means where there is no death, no, I mean to say, old age, no birth, no disease. That is possible. That is called Vaikuntha. Vaikuntha. The Sanskrit word is Vaikuntha. Vaikuntha means vigata-kuntha. Kuntha means anxiety, anxiety. Here, due to our material contamination, we are always full of kuntha, anxiety. Even a bird, when he's eating, he's seeing like this; this way, this way, this way, "Somebody's coming, or kill me. Oh." Full of anxiety. We are also anxiety, anxious. The politician is anxious. So long we are in contamination of this material body, we must be anxious. We must be anxious.

There is a nice instruction by Prahlada Maharaja, a great devotee, boy devotee. And he was, from his boyhood, childhood, from his mother's womb, he became a devotee by the grace of Narada Muni. That is the history. Now, he, he was five-years-old boy, and his father was too much materialistic. And he wanted that his son should be great politician, economist, and so on, so on, just like the materialists want. But the boy, he's a devotee. So father did not like the idea. So one day he called his boy, "My dear boy, come on." He came. A small boy. "Sit down on my lap. All right, my dear boy, will you kindly tell me what you have learned, the best thing in your school?" "Yes, my dear father, I shall tell you." So he said like this, tat sadhu manye 'sura-varya dehinam sada samudvigna-dhiyam asad-grahat, hitvatma, hitva atma-patam grham anda-kupam vanam gato yad-dharim asrayeta [SB 7.5.5]. "My dear father..." He's addressing his father, "O the best among the materialists." Now, he's not afraid. His father was very powerful, and there is a story. We shall narrate one day. Now, today is... Very shortly I am giving some instance... So he says, "My dear father, you are the greatest of the materialists, but to my opinion that is the best thing if people should give up this materialistic life and devote himself for searching out God, then he'll be free from the anxiety which is due to him due to his material connection." Just, how, see the nice, that hitva, tat sadhu manye 'sura-varya dehinam sada samudvigna-dhiyam. Persons who are always full of anxieties. Why? Now, due to their material connection. Asat. Asat means matter. Matter will not stay, however you may chemically try to preserve. Will... It will not stay. Therefore matter's another name is asat. And spirit's another name is sat. Sat means "which exists." Asat means "which does not exist." Antavanta ime deha nityasyoktah saririnah [Bg. 2.18]. We have already described that this body, this body is antavat, it has got end, but the consciousness, or the spirit soul, it is not... It is endless. So the endless, I mean to say, ever-existing soul, being contaminated by this body, he's full of anxiety. So Prahlada Maharaja thinks that in order to realize his self for self-realization, if he gives up all material engagement and takes to the path of self-realization, that is the best way of his life. And the father became angry. "What nonsense he's taking? A five-years-old boy, he's taking, talking of self-realization. I wanted to make him a great politician, economist. Now he's talking of this nonsense and..." Hitvatma-patam grham andha-kupam. "He's describing that this family life is just like a dark well." If a man is put, dark well... [break]

...be engaged. Be... Whatever you are, that doesn't matter. But act it on the platform of consciousness. And that platform, acting on the consciousness, is, Lord Caitanya has made very easy. Just like there are some note-makers of school books, "Easy Study." So Lord Caitanya has recommended that "You may be engaged in whatever occupation. That may be good or bad. We don't mind for that. But you must hear the krsna-katha. You must continue to hear this Bhagavad-gita." That is... For this, we are trying to organize this institution, that "You come. Whatever you do, that doesn't matter. Everything will be adjusted by and by." Because, as I have described in the beginning, that srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah, hrdy antah-stho hy abhadrani [SB 1.2.17]. Everything will be adjusted as our mind becomes clear, clear, clear, simply by hearing. Simply by hearing.

So this process, this association of hearing about the krsna-katha, what Krsna is speaking and what is spoken about Krsna, if we continue about the, about this process and chanting the Krsna name, you'll practically see how much your heart is becoming clearer and clearer and how much you are pro..., making progress towards spiritual realization and real, real identity of pure consciousness.

Thank you very much. Any question?

Mukunda: If a good man, who is passed through the states of being ignorant and passionate and he's really a good man, is walking down the street, let's say, in Delhi or Istanbul or any place, any city. And he sees a very young man beating up on a very old man just for no reason at all. He's just beating up, beating him to death. And the old man is calling out for help and there's a few people standing around. And as he approaches, he, he begins to get stirred by this scene. And being a good man he feels the whip on this other human being's back. Now, as a good man, should he not take sides on the two people quarreling and accept it and just walk on, even though he feels something welling up in him, or should he give way to what would be a passionate desire and try to interrupt and stop this injustice, so to speak?

Prabhupada: The whole idea is that action, either in ignorance or passion or goodness... We have discussed that point. That doesn't matter. But action should be done from the spiritual consciousness platform. That's all. Then you transcend the reaction. Just like, for example, Arjuna. Arjuna's fighting... This fighting is on the modes of passion, passion. Now, when the, that work of passion, if he does... Now, Arjuna was thinking not to fight, not to fight, because he thought that "Fighting with my brothers, with my relatives, is not good."

Mukunda: Yes.

Prabhupada: So, from material point of view, it is all right. From material point of view. But the thing is that material point of view, if you do act good work, you have to enjoy the reaction. That is the point. As I have already explained that by your good work, you get good birth, you get good wealth, you get good education, good features of body. But that is not the solution of your problem. Here the whole thing is that how to act. If we act from the material platform, even in the modes of goodness, that is also not solution of my life. But even, even in the spiritual, from the spiritual platform, if we act which apparently may seem to be acts of passion, that is not reactionary. That is not reactionary. Just like Arjuna. Arjuna... Now, the Lord says that you become free from the reaction of your activities. That is the proposition. Now, at the same time, He's inducing Arjuna to fight. Now, fighting is on the platform, on the modes of passion. Does it mean that simultaneously Krsna is inducing him to be entangled in the reaction of passion modes? No. That action, even apparently appears to be act, being acted on the platform of passion, it is transcendental because it is direction of the supreme consciousness. So whole thing is that we have to... Just like... Same example can be cited, that a soldier is killing his enemy, and the soldier's rewarded, "Oh, you have killed such a big enemy. You are rewarded." Do you mean to say by killing one is rewarded? But he is not acting on his platform. He's acting on higher consciousness platform, higher order. So if a commander's order can give him immunity from the reaction of being hanged, why not God's command? That is the thing. So we have, we haven't to discriminate whether I am in the modes of ignorance or passion or goodness. No. We have simply to see whether I'm acting under the direction of the supreme consciousness. That is the thing to be seen. Then we are free. Then our life becomes free. That thing, we have to learn. Yes?

Student: Is there...? Am I my brother's keeper? Am I, am I responsible for my brother's actions?

Prabhupada: Yes. Materially, you are responsible. Because materially you are responsible for all acts, good or bad. That I have already explained. So you may think that you have taken the responsibility of maintaining your brother, but at the same time, you are responsible for all the reactions.

Student: For all the?

Prabhupada: For all the reactions out of that act. It may be bad or good. That doesn't matter. Our problem is not to be infected with the reaction. If you think that bringing up your brother... It is, actually, it is good thing. You are doing good thing. That's all right. And you'll have the good result of it. But that, having that good result, does not mean that you are free from the reaction. Now, our problem is that we want to be free from the reaction. So long... Now... The same answer is there, that reaction of my good work, that I get good birth, I get good education, I get sufficient wealth or I get good features of body. These things are goodness of this material world. But that does not make solution of the disease in which... [break]...vyadhi, birth, death, old age and disease. The whole problem is that we have to get out of this material existence. So the, from the material point of view, or platform, any act, good or bad, that will have material reaction. And we are, we want to get out of this material reaction. That is our point of view. (end)

Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.17 -- San Francisco, March 25, 1967

"Krishna Wants His Children"  BY SRILA PRABHUPADA.

Pradyumna:

punya-sravana-kirtanah
vidhunoti suhrt satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

Translation: "Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead, who is also the Paramatma in everyone's heart and the benefactor of the truthful devotee, does cleanse the desire for material enjoyment in the heart of the devotee who has developed the urge to hear His (Krsna's) messages, which are themselves virtuous when properly heard and chanted."

Prabhupada: So Krsna is very selfish. He says... Here it is said: sva-kathah krsnah. Anyone who is engaged in hearing Krsna's katha. Katha means words, messages. So, in the Bhagavad-gita also, Krsna says, mam ekam: "Only unto Me." Ekam. This is required. Although everything is Krsna, but according to the pantheist theory we cannot worship everything. Everything is Krsna, that's a fact, but that does not mean we have to worship everything; we have to worship Krsna. The Mayavadi philosophers, they say, "If everything is Krsna, so whatever I worship, I am worshiping Krsna." No. That is wrong.

Just like the same example can be given that in the body, I am this body, everything "I," or "mine," but when foodstuff is to be taken, it is not to be pushed through the rectum, but through the mouth. That is the only one. You cannot say, "The body has got nine holes: two eyes, two nostrils, two ears, one mouth, one rectum, one genital -- nine holes. So why not push the food in any hole?" That is Mayavadi theory. "After all," they say, "the foodstuff has to be given to the body, inside the body. So I can push the foodstuff through any hole. There are so many holes." Sometimes in medical science, when it is impossible to push food through the mouth, they push through the rectum. That is artificial. But emergency, they do sometimes. But that is not the way. The real way is that food is required to be given to the body, but it must be given through the mouth, not through any other hole.

Similarly, if we actually want our contact with the Absolute Truth, then we have to go through Krsna. Krsna has many forms. Advaitam acyutam anadim ananta-rupam [Bs 5.33]. Ananta-rupam. So... Because nothing is but Krsna, everything is Krsna's energy, the process is... To contact the Absolute Truth means Krsna. Therefore Krsna here says... Not Krsna. Vyasadeva says, through Suta Gosvami, that "Krsna is very kind, very friendly to the suhrt satam." Satam. Satam means devotees. He is very intimately in friendship with devotees. Krsna's another qualification is bhakta-vatsala. Here it is also said, suhrt-satam. Satam means devotees. He is friend of everyone. Suhrdam sarva-bhutanam. Without Krsna being friend of everyone, nobody can live for a moment. You are... Krsna is protecting everyone, supplying food to everyone.

nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam
eko bahunam yo vidadhati kaman

Eka, that one person, supreme personality... There are... We are all personalities. All living entities, we are all personalities. We are not a homogeneous lump. Everyone has got individual, individuality. So every one of is a individual personality. Everyone. So Krsna is the supreme personality. That is the difference. He is also an individual. The only difference is that He is supreme; we are all subordinate. We are dependent on Krsna. If Krsna does not manage things nicely, then we are doomed. Just like we were walking on the sea beach. Such a vast ocean. We are confident that "The sea waves cannot come beyond this line." We are confident. Therefore we are walking. But actually, the vast ocean, within a second, it can succumbic(?), so many cities. But by whose order it is keeping the honor, "No, not beyond this. You may be very great, that's all right, but not beyond this line, demarcated"? This is Krsna's order.

The sun is so big, fourteen hundred thousand times bigger than this earth, and so powerful, blazing fire. You know, those who are scientific men, they know, the sun has got his orbit, and little deviation from the orbit can turn the whole world into snow, and turn the whole world into blazing fire. Where is our scientist friend? Is it not a fact? (Svarupa Damodara makes reply) Yes. It is running under certain orbit exactly, because a little deviation from the orbit will create havoc, catastrophe. Immediately. Either fire or snow. So under whose order the sun is so strictly following the demarcation? Such a big body. Our, in our practical experience, if he has got heavy body, he moves like this. He's not steady. But such a huge body is exactly... According to astronomical calculation, they calculate, some one ten-thousandth part of a second, in this way.

So we have to study this, under whose order... They say there is no God, but how these things, the natural functions, are being performed strictly, without any deviation? That is replied in the Brahma-samhita:

yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam
raja samasta-sura-murtir asesa-tejah
yasyajnaya bhramati sambhrta-kala-cakro
govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami

The sun is the eye for all planets. We are very much proud of our eyes. "Can you show me?" What, nonsense, what can you see? Eh? You cannot see anything without sun. You are so much proud of your eyes? You cannot see. Why do you say, "Can you show me?" First of all be qualified to see. Then you can see. But the rascals say, "Can you show me God?" They cannot see even ordinary things if there is no sunshine, and they want to see God. Just see. How much lunatic, crazy. You can see God, but you have to qualify the eyes. Then you can see.

So the sun is our eyes, actually. Not only this planet, all the planets within this universe. Therefore it is said in the Brahma..., yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam. The gayatri-mantra, gayatri-mantra, om bhur bhuvah svah, that is worshiping the sun, sun-god, savita, savitr. So, yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam. Raja samasta-grahanam. Just like there is king, president, similarly, the sun planet is the king of all planets. (aside:) Those who are standing, they can stand near the wall; don't block. Yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam raja samasta-sura-murtih. All the demigods, they are worshiping. This gayatri-mantra... Yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam raja samasta-sura-murtir asesa-tejah. Unlimited temperature, unlimited temperature. For millions and millions of years it is diffusing temperature, and if it is little more, we become, ninety millions away, ninety millions of miles away, still, little rising of temperature, we become suffocated. Asesa-tejah, unlimited temperature. And moving, yac-caksur esa savita sakala-grahanam raja samasta-sura-murtir asesa-tejah, yasyajnaya, "by whose order," bhramati, "is moving," sambhrta-kala-cakrah, "the orbit." Sun has got orbit. Sixteen thousand miles per second moving. But moving how? Not a little deviation. Exactly in the line. Because little deviation will cause havoc. Just the same way: a little pouncing over, the whole sea, finished Los Angeles. You see?

So this is the order of Krsna. That is admitted, all Vedas. Yasyajnaya bhramati sambhrta-kala-cakrah, yasyajnaya..., govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami **. So Krsna is such powerful. We should know what is Krsna. And these rascals, they are becoming incarnation of Krsna, Krsna personally present. Where is your power like this? If somebody kicks on your face with boot, you cannot do anything, and you are becoming God. You see? So Krsna is so powerful, at the same time so kind. Just see His kindness. Simply you hear His words, sva-katha, krsna-katha. He is speaking in the Bhagavad-gita. You hear. Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru: [Bg. 18.65] "You just become My devotee," Krsna says. Man-manah, "Always think of Me." Man-mana bhava mad-bhaktah, "Just become My devotee." Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji, "You worship Me." Mam namaskuru, "Just offer your obeisances unto Me."

We cannot do that? Is that very difficult thing? If we hear patiently, with a little attention, and hear Krsna's words, what Krsna is saying in the Bhagavad-gita or what is spoken about Krsna in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, simply if we hear. We don't require any qualification, any education, any Ph.D., M.S.T, this, that. No. Simply Krsna has given you the ears. So you can hear. What is the difficulty? Krsna is so kind, If you simply become a little inclined to hear about Him... If you hear and do not understand what Krsna is speaking and what is spoken about Krsna, you do not understand... Suppose you have no education, you do not understand Sanskrit or even English translation. Still, simply by hearing, srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah [SB 1.2.17], by simply hearing, punya-sravana-kirtanah. Punya means pious. We are all sinful. Life after life, we have committed sins, and this body is the evidence that we are sinful, this material body. It may be degrees different, but anyone who has got a material body, he is sinful. So every one of us is sinful, but simply by hearing...

Hearing, this hearing is possible in this human form of life. But even cats and dogs, if they hear, even the trees and ants and insects, they hear, they will also gain the benefit. This transcendental vibration. We human beings, we hear about Krsna, we can understand about something that "Krsna is saying like this," but the small child, or an animal, or even trees, insects, if they hear this Hare Krsna mantra, they'll be benefited. They will be benefited. This is the fact. Because the vibration... Just like when there is thunderbolt vibration, that vibration has got effect on everything... That is scientific. Everything. Similarly, this vibration of Hare Krsna mantra is so strong that it will benefit anyone who hears. Therefore we are sending sankirtana party. They may understand or not understand, they may appreciate or not appreciate, we are forcing them to become pious simply by hearing this Hare Krsna mantra. It is so nice.

Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. The whole world is full of sinful life. So we are creating the atmosphere, punya-sravana. Chanting and hearing. Simply by these two processes. Punya-sravana-kirtanah. Punya, pious. So anyone who is coming here, even he does not understand a single word which we are speaking, if he simply hears, he becomes pious. Simply by hearing. Even a our child, he becomes pious. And unless we are free from our sinful life, we cannot understand about God.

yesam tv anta-gatam papam
jananam punya-karmanam
te dvandva-moha-nirmukta
bhajante mam drdha-vratah
 [Bg. 7.28]

This is stated in the Bhagavad-gita. So those who are sinful, they cannot understand what is God. Therefore the whole world is godless. They are so sinful, their life, their civilization, has been made so much sinful, the four principles of sinful: illicit sex, intoxication, meat-eating, and gambling. The whole world is full of these four business. Therefore they are all sinful. He may dress like a very nice gentleman, but he's a sinful man. So he cannot understand. Therefore it is very difficult to convince these rascals about God. They say, "I am, everyone is God, I am God, you are God, God is dead." They are so dull. You see? Therefore our business is to cleanse their heart.

So we vibrate, and Krsna helps from within. Krsna said, Suta Gosvami said, srnvatam... Those who are giving, who are taking the chance of hearing Hare Krsna mantra... srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah [SB 1.2.17]. Krsnah is nominative case. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah. Anything hearing about Krsna, that is also pious. Krsna is supposed to be doing something according to our material calculation, killing somebody. Or Krsna is dancing with other's wife. According to material calculation, this is not allowed. You cannot dance with the other's wife, not in your country, but that is the Vedic civilization. But Krsna did it. Although the gopis came to dance with Him, captivated by His beauty, but they became purified, punya-sravana-kirtanah. If simply by hearing about Krsna one becomes pious, how they become pious simply by dancing with Krsna? This is the theory. Not that Krsna wanted some young girls to dance with Him. He can create millions of young girls, immediately. But were they devotees. They wanted to dance with Krsna, might be captivated by His beauty. But they wanted Krsna. Krsna gave them chance, "All right, come on. Dance with Me. And be purified." Just try to understand. Just simply by hearing about Krsna, one becomes purified, and what to speak of persons who are dancing with Krsna. This opportunity is there. You can dance with Krsna, you can play with Krsna, you can talk with Krsna.

So our Krsna consciousness movement is giving this chance to everyone. Everyone, without any discrimination. So how it is purified? One may say that "Simply by hearing how one becomes purified?" No. Krsna helps. Here it is said: hrdy antah stho hy abhadrani vidhunoti suhrt satam. Krsnah vidhunoti. Krsna helps you. Those who are hearing with attention... Krsna is within you, everyone, Paramatma. Isvarah sarva-bhutanam hrd-dese 'rjuna tisthati [Bg. 18.61]. Krsna is with you. Krsna is so kind, Krsna is so sympathetic, as soon as He sees, "Oh, this soul..." Because every soul is Krsna's son... So He's very much anxious. Just like a father. If a son is in difficulty, the father is more anxious; "How this boy will be rescued from this difficulty?" Similarly, we are suffering in this material world. Krsna is more anxious to get us back to home, back to Godhead. Therefore, as soon as He sees, "Oh, he is hearing about Me. Oh, thank you. I shall help you." Immediately He vidhunoti, He washes all the dirty things.

The dirty thing is that "I shall be happy by material enjoyment." This is the basis of dirty things. The rascal does not know that he cannot be happy in any condition, any material condition. Brahma is unhappy, Indra is unhappy, what to speak of you, you are teeny creature. Nobody can be happy in this material world. They must be always in anxiety because they have accepted something which will never make him happy. Therefore we have to counteract it, these dirty things, that we are trying to be happy in this material world. These dirty things are accumulated within our heart. Life after life, we have selected so many bodies. "Now I shall become tiger. I am eating flesh, but I cannot attack the animal and eat fresh blood." Krsna is so kind: "All right I am giving you the chance to become a tiger. You become a tiger. I'll give you all nails and teeth so that you can pounce over immediately. There is no need of opening slaughterhouse; you can directly eat." You see.

So I wanted to enjoy as a tiger, I wanted to enjoy as a cat, as a dog, as a Brahma. In so many lives, so many planets. But everywhere I have become frustrated. That is the fact. Now, in this human form of life, is the chance to take to Krsna consciousness and make your life perfect.

Thank you very much. (end)
Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.17 -- Los Angeles, August 20, 1972

RSS

Receive Daily Nectar

Online Statistics

Addon Services

For more details:
Click here 

Back to Godhead Magazine !

For more details:
English | Hindi

© 2019   Created by ISKCON desire tree network.   Powered by