Hare Krsna!

Dandavat Pranam!

I had a small doubt. I had earlier posted regarding which language should I choose to read the books of Srila Prabhupada. As per the suggestions given there, that we can choose any language in which we are comfortable, I bought the Bhagavad Gita As It Is in English.

Recently, by watching me indulged in Bhakti, my mother showed an interest in reading Srimad Bhagavatam (I am really thankful to Sri Krsna for this), so I bought Srimd Bhagavatam also, thinking that after completing Bhagavad Gita, I would also read it. But, I had to buy Hindi version of Srimad Bhagavatam, as my mother is more inclinied to reading the scriptures in Hindi.

I wanted to ask that differences in the languages, Bhagavad Gita in English and Srimad Bhagavatam in Hindi, would it create any problems for me in understanding the subject of them ?

Thanks!

Haribol!

Sameer

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Sameer Prabhu,

PAMHO.

Language is not important, understanding is. As long as you can understand what you are reading, whether it is English or Hindi or any other language, doesnt matter. THe same texts have been translated in all the languages. So there is no conflict in the content.

Feel free to read in any language that you are comfortable with.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna Mata ji!

PAMHO,

I just have one more question. Since the Sahitya Avatar Srimad Bhagavatam came in my home, I became really motivated and read almost 3/4th of the first canto, as I enjoyed the rasa very much and got to know many things about the history that are many times told to be imaginary / mythology by the non believers. It gave me actual essence of Bhakti, historical evidences of the aspects of character of a devotee etc. I was relishing to read about past times of Sri Krsna and his devotees.

But I found at many places references of slokas of Bhagavad Gita (As It Is by Srila Prabhupada), which made me think that I have read Gita only once, so, am I eligible to read Srimad Bhagavatam right now ? Or should I first read Bhagavad Gita more (5 - 6 times), understand it more, and then come to read Srimad Bhagavatam, or, should I read Srimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita slong with eachother by dividing time. Please let me know regarding this.

Thanks!

Haribol!

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Very happy to hear of your interest and the fact that you are relishing Srimad Bhagawatam. Please continue to read Srimad Bhagawatam. YOu can read Gita again side by side. LIke Gayatri mataji clarified, read the small books of Srila Prabhupada also. They will clarify a lot of doubts and make your resolve strong, based on shastra. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna Mata ji!

Thanks a lot for the guidance.

Haribol!

• Hare Krishna Prabhu ji,

There is no problem in reading scriptures in different languages. For God there is no language barrier. Lord can understand you bhava and prem to try to reach him in any way as possible.

Even a gunga (dumb person) and a behra ( deaf) or even a blind can attain God whats the problem than?

Krishna can understand your emotions for Him in any language. So, no fear read whatever book you get hold off and which ever language you feel most comfortable in AS LONG AS the scriptures are from authentic sources such a from Srila Prabhupada.

Hare Krishna.

• Hare Krsna Mata ji!

PAMHO,

I just have one more question. Since the Sahitya Avatar Srimad Bhagavatam came in my home, I became really motivated and read almost 3/4th of the first canto, as I enjoyed the rasa very much and got to know many things about the history that are many times told to be imaginary / mythology by the non believers. It gave me actual essence of Bhakti, historical evidences of the aspects of character of a devotee etc. I was relishing to read about past times of Sri Krsna and his devotees.

But I found at many places references of slokas of Bhagavad Gita (As It Is by Srila Prabhupada), which made me think that I have read Gita only once, so, am I eligible to read Srimad Bhagavatam right now ? Or should I first read Bhagavad Gita more (5 - 6 times), understand it more, and then come to read Srimad Bhagavatam, or, should I read Srimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita slong with eachother by dividing time. Please let me know regarding this.

Thanks!

Haribol!

• Hare Krsna Mata ji!

Thanks a lot for the guidance.

Haribol!

• Hare Krishna,

Yes you frist need to come in an order. Read, all small books of Srila Prabhupada, then go ahead with BG next is Bhagwatam.

It is like certification, graduation and post graduation.. after that take up Chaitanaya Charitamrita which is Phd.

so, come in an order to understand systematically.

Hare Krishna

This reply was deleted.