Work and Bhakti yoga

I’d like to be more serious about bhakti yoga ,at the same time I find my working life is all consuming  and draining of time and energy. 

Does anyone else have these issues,? How do you incorporate Bhakti yoga into your life .? 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor
    Hare KRsna prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I am also in a job which requires long hours in the workplace. I tis energy and time sapping.

Still, I try my best to do the following:
    1) Chant my committed number of rounds - 20, everyday. This is without compromise. Everything else one can compromise on, not the committed number of rounds of chanting of mahamantra.
    2) Follow the 4 regulative principles. Maybe it is easier to do so in India. So this means that I cook for my family and myself. That also is energy and time consuming.
    3) Work can be converted into bhakti yoga - the way to do this is mentioned in Gita - Yat karoti Yajjusi, Yad dadasi karoti yat.....Chapter 9.27 (I think) - whatever you do, do as an offering to Me. So whatever work we do, we should remember Krsna, offer the fruits of our work (a part atleast) to Krsna and be sincere in our efforts.
    OUr external activities remain the same, what changes in our consciousness in which we do the activities. That is real transformation - KRsna Consciousness. We simply add Krsna to our daily life. Then the same life becomes meaningful and a sense of peace, tranquility and purpose is achieved.
    Haribol,
    Your servant,
    Radha Rasamayi DD
    • E-Counselor
      You said that your job is maya, but you must know that maya is illusion. As soon as there is absence of Krishna Consciousness-that is maya. But you are working just to help and push Krishna's interest; therefore, it is not maya. Anything used in Krishna Consciousness is real renouncement. Letter to Jayagovinda, February 3, 1970
  • Srlia Prabhupada writes: Bg. 8.7
    तस्मात्सर्वेषु कालेषु मामनुस्मर युध्य च ।
    मय्यर्पितमनोबुद्धिर्मामेवैष्यस्यसंशय: ॥ ७ ॥
    tasmāt sarveṣu kāleṣu
    mām anusmara yudhya ca
    mayy arpita-mano-buddhir
    mām evaiṣyasy asaṁśayaḥ
    Synonyms
    tasmāt — therefore; sarveṣu — at all; kāleṣu — times; mām — Me; anusmara — go on remembering; yudhya — fight; ca — also; mayi — unto Me; arpita — surrendering; manaḥ — mind; buddhiḥ — intellect; mām — unto Me; eva — surely; eṣyasi — you will attain; asaṁśayaḥ — beyond a doubt.

Translation
    Therefore, Arjuna, you should always think of Me in the form of Kṛṣṇa and at the same time carry out your prescribed duty of fighting. With your activities dedicated to Me and your mind and intelligence fixed on Me, you will attain Me without doubt.

Purport
    This instruction to Arjuna is very important for all men engaged in material activities. The Lord does not say that one should give up his prescribed duties or engagements. One can continue them and at the same time think of Kṛṣṇa by chanting Hare Kṛṣṇa. This will free one from material contamination and engage the mind and intelligence in Kṛṣṇa. By chanting Kṛṣṇa’s names, one will be transferred to the supreme planet, Kṛṣṇaloka, without a doubt.
    • How much chanting of hk ? where ?when ? How ? ...thank you
      • Starting can be done with whatever number but goal is to reach 16 rounds of Hare Krishna, Where: Temple or few sincere people group is most suitable, how: Just start chanting loudly this Mantra in a helpless mood to Lord: Hare Kṛṣṇa Hare Kṛṣṇa
        Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Hare Hare
        Hare Rāma Hare Rāma
        Rāma Rāma Hare Hare
    • Sounds easy ;)
  • How to turn work into yoga . ?Apparently Bhagavad Gita teaches this ..
  • I would think everyone has some some struggle with that. Many have families and work combined with administrative roles within the temple that consumes time. I just set realistic expectations and stick with that. If two rounds of japa is what I can reasonably do everyday then that is it. Bhakti yoga is one part of life. Hope this helps.
    • Hi William thanks for your reply . Does that level of involvement / commitment bring you what you’re hoping for ?
      • This instruction to Arjuna is very important for all men engaged in material activities. The Lord does not say that one should give up his prescribed duties or engagements. One can continue them and at the same time think of Kṛṣṇa by chanting Hare Kṛṣṇa. This will free one from material contamination and engage the mind and intelligence in Kṛṣṇa. By chanting Kṛṣṇa’s names, one will be transferred to the supreme planet, Kṛṣṇaloka, without a doubt.
This reply was deleted.