why to follow rules for prayer??

i cant understand y it is imp to follow rules for prayer..to pray we just need faith and love..y to get up early and take bath and perform..puja can b performed at any time..in quran allah asked to do puja more than 100 times a day..thenhow could that b possible to do it in mrng only??i love doing puja wth my full heart...taking bath is just fr our sake to feel fresh..sirf subah utna nai..jo bhi hum puja karte hai vo to hum apne khushi k liyekarte hai...abhisekam,giving flowers etc..god is not asking us..then y keeping these rules??apne father se prem karne k liye koi waqt kyu dekhe ga..pujato dil se karna chahiye..usise bhagwan khush ho jaenge...  aur vo hamesha isiliye meri baat sun bhi lete hai..meri har ek prayer sunte hai..then y these rules??

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Mataji. PAMHO. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

"Devotional service means to please Krishna not to please ourselves."

anyabhilashita-sunyam jnana-karmady-anavritam

anukulyena krishnanu-silanam bhaktir uttama ~ Rupa Goswami

"One should render transcendental loving service to the Supreme Lord Krishna favorably and without desire for material profit or gain through fruitive activities or philosophical speculation. That is called pure devotional service."

The significant point here is ‘anukulyena krishnanu-silanam: transcendental loving service to the Supreme Lord Krishna favorably’ because the service is considered as devotional when it is rendered favorably to Lord Krishna. A favorable service has two essential elements: welfare of the served and authorization for the service. Without these two the service doesn’t even stand good as a service.

Kamsa, the maternal uncle of Lord Krishna, was constantly thinking of Krishna. Day and night, while eating, walking, sleeping, etc., he meditated upon Krishna but with a motive of killing Him. Even though constantly remembering Krishna is one of the nine bona fide processes of devotional service and it’s a state that is achieved by the yogis after great sadhana, yet Kamsa’s remembrance is not considered devotional service because it was against well being of Krishna. Despite investing so much of energy and consciousness in Krishna, Kamsa missed out the most desired goal of human life; pleasing Krishna and establishing loving relationship with Him because his action was against the welfare of the Lord. However, Lord Krishna, being an ocean of compassion, awarded impersonal liberation to him. Thus, consideration of welfare of the sevya forms an essential element of devotional service.

The consideration of welfare alone is not enough. There is another indispensible aspect: authorization. The authorization for a service comes from the sevya or the beneficiary.

Srila Prabhupada elucidates this matter thus, “Don't manufacture your ways of pleasing God. Suppose I want to please you. Then I shall ask you, "How can I serve you?" Not that I manufacture some service. That is not pleasing. Suppose I were to ask a disciple, "My dear student, please give me a glass of water." It is then his duty to give me a glass of water. If he thinks, "Prabhupada wants a glass of water, but why not give him something better? Why not a glass of hot milk?" that is not service. In his consideration, hot milk is very palatable and is better than water, yet because I have asked for water, he has to give me water, not milk. That is favorable service. If you want to please me, then you should ask me, "How can I please you?" And if you do what I order, that will please me.”  

One’s only desire should be to serve Krishna favorably, as He desires. If Krishna wants something, then we should do it. In order to know what Krishna wants, one has to hear from Him. In conditioned state one cannot directly approach Krishna but when one develops an intimate relationship with Krishna then he can serve Him favorably. Thus, one must take information of what Krishna wants through the transparent medium of the spiritual master.  Acting under the guidance of the spiritual master makes the devotional service bona fide and thus, acceptable to Lord Krishna.

Taking the example of Ashvatthama from Mahabharata one can easily understand the risk of unauthorized service. “When the respective warriors of both camps, namely the Kauravas and the Pandavas, were killed on the Battlefield of Kurukshetra and the dead warriors obtained their deserved destinations, and when the son of Dhritarashtra fell down lamenting, his spine broken, being beaten by the club of Bhimasena, the son of Dronacharya [Ashvatthama] beheaded the five sleeping sons of Draupadi and delivered them as a prize to his master, foolishly thinking that he would be pleased. Duryodhana, however, disapproved of the heinous act, and he was not pleased in the least.” It is further described in Mahabharata that Duryodhana lay lamenting in pain as there was no one to carry on the family line of the Kurus as all his own brothers were dead. Mourning over this loss, he breathed his last. Seeing his master die in grief rather than in joy, Ashvatthama too became repentant.

By his over-smart actions, Ashvatthama neither pleased his master nor himself. Likewise, an unauthorized service may give temporary sense pleasure of having performed it, but the essential matter of pleasing Krishna and establishing a loving relationship with Him will be lost. Trying to serve Krishna out of our own whims and fantasies is like repeating the mistake of Ashvatthama, which not only brought about remorse to him but also great displeasure to his master. Without knowing from the Lord if we serve the Lord, then neither will we be pleased nor the Lord.

Without this authorization, the service not only loses its credit of being anukulya or favorable but also becomes a cause of disturbance as stated by Srila Rupa Gosvami:

sruti-smrti-puranadi-pancaratra-vidhim vina

aikantiki harer bhaktir utpatayaiva kalpate

"Devotional service of the Lord that ignores the authorized Vedic literatures like the Upanishads, Puranas and Narada Pancharatra is simply an unnecessary disturbance in society."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the bottomline is waking up at morning offering arati, reciting prayers given by previous Acharyas are all we have to do because Krishna and his pure devotees has instructed so, because these are already experimented and tested way to please God. Worshipping God is not meant for getting benefit for ourselves, its a karma kandi understanding rather serving God is meant to please him and to please him we have to know the way he become pleased, it is not that we can manufacture our way then there will no meaning of bonafide path to reach God. These things are bonafide way and specially important for a neo-phyte because without austerity no spiritual progress can be done, without going through Vidhi-marg raga-marg can't be achieved.

But yes it is not possible for everyone , then whatever one can do in whatever way Krishna remember that, and we get the benefit BUT we have to remember that this are the standard way.

hope this will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• u really think god asked u to do abhisekam??and he will b pleased by that?or by doing fastngs???? these things shoulb db done whole heartedly..not just as a tradition..which ppl wnt do...ppl jst do it bcz they thnk god will b impresed...and fullfill his/her wishes...so these things doesnt matter where there is pure love for god..wat do u thinkevery time u do abhishekam itss nt possible that you love god...god never asked for these things its just us ..we do it bcz if we r in true love with god we want to serve him...god wants our true love..nothing else..so whenever we do puja we should doo whole heartedly...

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Mataji.

Any rituals including Abhisekham , we know from scriptures and scriptures are nothing but breathing of Narayana, therefore yes God said that. yes God become pleased when his devotees do something for him,just like father is pleased when his child do something for his father.

As you said we should do all this whole heartedly , that I agree, but what is whole hearted and what is not that is very difficult to understand when a sadhaka is in neophyte stage. There are levels of Bhakti, we can't just imitate Chaitanya Mahaprabhu or Gopis. We can't say to the world that we are in the same exalted position like gopis that we are not under any jurisdiction of rules and regulation. We are conditioned souls therefore it is very difficult for us to reach the highest stage of spontaneous loving exchange between God and us. we can't start writing essay without knowing ABCD. There are stages of Bhakti. without going through vaidhi marg ( Practicing regulative principle of worshiping as given by Guru and scriptures)  we can't have proper attachment to Krishna.

we can't just directly jump to raga marg (spontaneous love for God) without going through regulated devotional service like wake up at morning, four regulative principles, chanting. Because we don't know what is love for God. It may happen someone is very fortunate that Krishna has bestowed them love for him from the very beginning , but for the mass regulated principle of Bhakti is must , first required detachment from material desires and then attachment  to Krishna, let alone love for Krishna. Its not possible for common masses.

If material desires are there how can we be whole hearted, without going through austerity how can material desires will go, if material desires doesn't go away then how would attachment come, if there is no attachment how can there be love? . Love comes later first need to follow the instructions else we will be like Sahajiyas who imitate Rasa Dance of Krishna....:)

Hope this will help

Your aspiring Servant

Hari Bol

• par fir to ye jhuth hoga..aap prem k bina puja karoge to...usse bhagwan kaha khush honge...whole hearted kyu nai ho sakte???prem se kuch bhikare ..he will b happy..agar kuch nai kare tab bhi god khush raenge

This reply was deleted.