why srila prabhupada was against Osho

srila prabhupada and Osho were contemporary . They both had a philosophy as opposed to each other .

what were the core difference between these two . Why osho's school of thought was unacceptable to srila prabhupada !!!!!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Volunteer

it is likely that Srila Prabhupada would not view Osho as a bona fide spiritual teacher or guru. Srila Prabhupada emphasized the importance of following a bona fide guru who is in the disciplic succession and who teaches the authorized scriptures, such as the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam. He also stressed the importance of following the regulative principles, which include abstaining from illicit sex and intoxication.

While Srila Prabhupada may have acknowledged that Osho attempted to break through rigidity in the mind, he would likely disagree with Osho's approach of breaking down belief systems and may view it as a deviation from the authorized teachings. Srila Prabhupada also emphasized the importance of following a regulated lifestyle in order to make spiritual progress.

Regarding Osho's views on sex, Srila Prabhupada would likely disagree with Osho's approach of viewing sex as something to be transcended or transmuted into something higher. Srila Prabhupada taught that sex should be used only for procreation within the confines of marriage and that one should practice celibacy in order to make spiritual progress.

In summary, while Srila Prabhupada may acknowledge that Osho attempted to help people break through rigidity in the mind, he would likely disagree with Osho's approach of breaking down belief systems and his views on sex. Srila Prabhupada emphasized the importance of following a bona fide guru who teaches the authorized scriptures and following a regulated lifestyle in order to make spiritual progress.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Volunteer

As a follower of Srila Prabhupada and the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, it is important to approach spiritual teachers and teachings with an open mind and a willingness to learn. It is possible that Osho Rajnish may have had a nuanced view on fasting and other spiritual practices, and it is important to consider all available information before making any conclusions. Ultimately, the most important thing is to focus on one's own spiritual practice and to strive for genuine progress on the path of devotion.

Hare Krishna!

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna!

Srila Prabhupada and Osho Rajneesh were indeed contemporary spiritual leaders who had different philosophies. The core difference between the two was that Srila Prabhupada taught a devotional path of bhakti yoga that emphasized the worship of Krishna as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, while Osho taught a more individualistic path of meditation and self-realization that emphasized the attainment of personal enlightenment.

One of the reasons why Osho's school of thought was unacceptable to Srila Prabhupada was that Osho's teachings often contradicted the traditional Vedic scriptures and the teachings of the Vaishnava tradition. Srila Prabhupada emphasized the importance of following the Vedic scriptures as the ultimate authority on spiritual knowledge, while Osho encouraged his followers to rely on their own experiences and intuition.

Furthermore, Osho's teachings often included elements of free love, sexual liberation, and materialism, which were incompatible with Srila Prabhupada's teachings on celibacy, renunciation, and detachment from material desires. Srila Prabhupada believed that the pursuit of material pleasures and sensual gratification only served to distract one from the ultimate goal of spiritual realization and devotion to Krishna.

In conclusion, while both Srila Prabhupada and Osho were influential spiritual leaders of their time, their philosophies were fundamentally different, and Srila Prabhupada's emphasis on the Vedic scriptures and devotional worship of Krishna made Osho's teachings unacceptable to him.

• Just in case you had any sentiments towards Osho, please read this and reconsider. I prefer not to post this, but I feel it's important to defend Srila Prabhupada against such charlatan 'gurus' .... 

"In another report Anando has showed me, he has called me a charlatan. In this report he calls me a scoundrel. But one thing is certain, that he is more interested in me than in his own great idiot who created the Hare Krishna movement, Prabhupada. He should talk about him, not about me.

They will talk about me and they will say that I am not worth considering. And they can’t see the contradiction - so clear, in the same statement, that I am following them wherever they are, disturbing their sleep, cutting their roots, and they have nothing to defend.

I have criticized Krishna. That’s why they are angry. Prabhupada was very angry, because I had called him a dodo. But he was a dodo. He was teaching those people celibacy which necessarily brings sexual perversion. He was teaching these people begging. He was teaching these people that you need not do anything except repeat continuously “Hare Krishna, Hare Rama.” This is a sure way of destroying anybody’s intelligence. These are the methods of programming. Now if somebody thinks that this is enough to transform your consciousness, that whatever you are doing you go on chanting inside, loudly or silently, “Hare Krishna, Hare Rama,” dancing in the street, “Hare Krishna, Hare Rama” - because only these two words will be continuously hammered. All your subtle cells, your whole system of mind, will be spoiled. It is not made only for two words. It will not be used, and unused those delicate cells start dying. So first the idiots get attracted, and if by chance somebody has some little intelligence, then these methods will destroy it. These people are continuously chanting - not knowing that repetition of a single word or a single mantra is going to kill your intelligence. Intelligence needs to be sharpened in new areas, new dimensions. It has to move into the unknown. “Hare Krishna, Hare Rama” - it becomes stuck there. Prabhupada was angry because he could not answer my criticism of Krishna. If he was honest, and if these people are honest - this Goswami - then they will call Shri Krishna the greatest scoundrel ever. He forcibly collected sixteen thousand women as his wives, without marrying them - and they were all married, they had children, they had husbands.but he was powerful, fascist. Any woman he liked was immediately taken to his palace, without any consideration of what will happen to the children. Sixteen thousand women! No other man in the whole of history has been so ugly."

• Chapter 16: The Divine and Demoniac Natures

TEXT 8

They say that this world is unreal, that there is no foundation and that there is no God in control. It is produced of sex desire, and has no cause other than lust.

TEXT 18

Bewildered by false ego, strength, pride, lust and anger, the demon becomes envious of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is situated in his own body and in the bodies of others, and blasphemes against the real religion

Chapter 7: Knowledge of the Absolute

TEXT 13
      Deluded by the three modes [goodness, passion and ignorance], the whole world does not know Me who am above the modes and inexhaustible.
      TEXT 24
      Unintelligent men, who know Me not, think that I have assumed this form and personality. Due to their small knowledge, they do not know My higher nature, which is changeless and supreme.

Chapter 9: The Most Confidential Knowledge

TEXT 11

Fools deride Me when I descend in the human form. They do not know My transcendental nature and My supreme dominion over all that be.

Chapter 16: The Divine and Demoniac Natures

TEXTS 1-3

The Blessed Lord said: Fearlessness, purification of one's existence, cultivation of spiritual knowledge, charity, self-control, performance of sacrifice, study of the Vedas, austerity and simplicity; nonviolence, truthfulness, freedom from anger; renunciation, tranquility, aversion to faultfinding, compassion and freedom from covetousness; gentleness, modesty and steady determination; vigor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, freedom from envy and the passion for honor-these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature.

THE FACT THAT RAJNEESH, RAJNEESHPURAM IS ALMOST FORGOTTEN AND NON EXISTENT WHILE PRABHUPADA'S ISKCON IS EVER GROWING, RELEVANT AND FAMOUS IS ENOUGH PROOF  TO SHOW WHOSE PHILOSOPHY IS GREATER.

THE TRUTH WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL

HARE KRISHNA

• Hare Krishna Atul Kamboj Prabhuji!!!!

Dandvat!!!!!!Please Accept My Humble Obesiances!!!!!!!! All Glories to Srila Prabhupad!!!!!!!!!! Radhey! Radhey! Gaurango Jai Jai! Hari Hari!

Prabhuji i would like to tell you in very short that Osho is a great rascal who is defaming our vedic culture from his atheist lecture and video and swiping away the poor generation from actual truth.  I came to know about this when i watched one of his video about our demigods.

Where he was raising a question mark on Lord Ganesha,  saying how can there be a God with elephant face.  So directly he was denying our demigods and our Vedic Culture.

You can not compare to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhakti Vedant Swami Srila Prabhupad along with Osho.  

Your Humble Servant

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Atul Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Just to add to what our e-counsellor has said, I agree with him completely.

I stupidly thought that your question is a genuine question, you are a newcomer trying to understand the difference between two philosophies. I never realised that you are trying to convince followers of the Great Srila Prabhupada that Osho is great. I am sorry, you will not succeed. That is because Srila Prabhupada has spoken what is written in the scriptures. He spoke the truth. There are enough followers of his who have realised that. We have been explained how to differentiate between a genuine guru and a bogus guru, we are not following blindly.

Like I said, you are free to choose whoever appeals to you - thats your personal choice. But do not enter my house (IDT) to compare my grandfather with someone not at all worthy of mention.

Just to answer what you have repeatedly said, Rajneesh could have settled with the US authorities and lived a life of luxury - he did not do so. How do you know he didnt try to settle and was unsuccessful? His claim to fame cannot be simply that he did not set up with the US authorities to let him go scotfree. To become a spiritual guru, one has to do a lot more.

I suggest you read Srila Prabhupada's Lilamtra - the detailed one. Or you could watch on youtube some of the videos searching Srila Prabhupada Memories. You will understand the difference. That is, if you are a genuine seeker and want to understand Srila Prabhupada's greatness. But if you have already taken your call, no issues.We will not try to convince you, expect the same from you.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• I was not convincing to any one anything . I was pouring my thoughts , some queries and confusion . It is nice to find you are doing your job sincerely .

Hari Bol !!!!

Whenever i got confronted with spiritual confusion i will visit this website !!!!!

• E-Counselor

Dear Atul ji,

I'm sure that your confusions are cleared and you would be happy taking to Krishna Consciousness with a sincere heart. The assured reciprocation which you will get from Krishna is going to give you further realizations which would be far more superior to researching any other philosophies of the wold. 

Pls keep in touch. Hope to see you sometime on the way to Krishna.

Regards,

Radha Rasikraj Das

• Very soon !!! or when Krishna gives me a call !!!!

Hari Bol !!!

This reply was deleted.