Why Krishna did not punish Indra?

I have been watching Little Krishna animation video for the past couple of years and I am confused about the Indra story.  The Gita says that all of us (including demigods) have to face the consequences or sinful reactions of our "karma."  So in Little Krishna, Indra goes against Krishna and even attacks Krishna.  Lord Brahaspati even tells Indra that he works for Lord Visnu and Indra still does it.  I acknowledge that Indra was influenced by maya but that is where my question is:  How come Indra never faces the sinful reaction of what he does?  He never faces a reaction in that birth or subsequent births?  All that happens is that Indra is ridiculed in front of the Vrindavan people.  Please forgive me for asking the question.  I love Krishna however I am confused.  If one of us had done something like what Indra did, we would have been punished in our future births.  

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is Demi god Indra IMMORTAL?????? 

• Hare Krishna,

Few days back heard a lecture by Gauranga Prabhu,where he mentioned that Indra is the enjoyment personified. However just like a father forgives his sons mistake Krishna didnt punish Indra.

Its not the only occasion when Krishna forgives Indra. 

YS.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna,

PAMHO.

Wonderful reply Bharat prabhuji.

I just want to add that Indra is a post - a soul acquires that post after doing many many pious activities over lifetimes. Such a soul is a devotee and therefore devata - favourable to God. There is a time frame for that post. Till that time, that soul will remain Indra. In taht time, if that soul does something whihc is not correct, and repents and asks for forgiveness, he is forgiven. Wouldnt we all want to be forgiven after we understand our grave mistakes? Same with Indra. And he chose a devotee route to ask for forgiveness, all the more reason to forgive him.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Indra realized what a grave offence he had committed after his pride was subdued. Indra is a devotee and knows what had to be done. He took shelter of Surabhi which is cow in heavenly planets and with surabhi cow he approached Krsna. Krsna knew that Indra has learnt his lesson and hence forgave him. If we take shelter of devotees then it is very easy for us to approach Krsna. Also Krsna is very magnanimous and He will forgive.

Surabhi cow is not shown in animation video. In Govardhan parikrama there is surabhi kund even now where Surabhi bathed Krsna with her milk. 

Similar thing happened to Kaliya his wives were devotees. So he was forgiven. 

It is good to see video, but for real details Srila Prabhupad has given us the book - Krsna Supreme Personality of Godhead

Hare Krsna 

This reply was deleted.