Why is Krishna's murti white?

Namaste devotees,

Please accept my humble respects.

My friends, there are so many white-colored murtis of Lord Krishna... There are murtis of many colors: white, blue, black, gray, golden, etc. Why are there so many different colors of murtis of Krishna? What is the color of Lord Sri Krishna's body?

Hare Krishna!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna.....
    It is not Murti....
    AchrA vighra...
    Soory parbu ji...
  • When Krishna was on Earth, the color of his body was 'shyama' (darkish) and he was really good looking. But i guess some people who are obsessed with white skin, likes to imagine Him having white complexion, and so they make white idols of Him. People should accept fact and make idols in shyama color only, since the shyama color looked really beautiful on Him.

• Sevak

Hare Krsna

Firstly it is not idol. It is a worshipable deity of Sri Krsna. 

But i guess some people who are obsessed with white skin, likes to imagine Him having white complexion, and so they make white idols of Him.

This is imagination of imagination of people and hence that much more incorrect. 

There are specific injunctions in scriptures on how to prepare deities. Deities that are installed in temples are expected to be in accordance with that. Krsna Deities made of white marble is fully in accordance with that. 

People should accept fact and make idols in shyama color only, since the shyama color looked really beautiful on Him.

Incorrect. People should follow guru, sadhu and shastras. 

There is nothing wrong in making shyama color deities. But making mandating statements on what others should do without scriptural references for the same is meaningless. I fully understand that Krsna is shyama varna, but I have not come across any injunction that says all deities of Krsna HAVE TO BE IN SHYAMA, in case you have come across please feel free to share the reference. 

Hare Krsna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna PRabhuji,

PAMHO.

What I know is - Krsna, when in white, is remembering Radharani so much that His colour changes. He is then called Govinda. That is why some temples will have white deity of Krsna.

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Oh the bhagwan who came in tortoise form oho the God who came in wild boar form and for the lord who can come in fish aakar... aise leela dhaari...ko.. kya mushkil hai kaunsa bhi rang lele. IS it impossible for Him to take any color or any shape??

Bhakt jaise dekhne ki iccha rakta hai us tarah dikh jaate hai.. 

SB 10.3.20 — My Lord, Your form is transcendental to the three material modes, yet for the maintenance of the three worlds, You assume the white color of Viṣṇu in goodness; for creation, which is surrounded by the quality of passion, You appear reddish; and at the end, when there is a need for annihilation, which is surrounded by ignorance, You appear blackish.

Jai Sri Krishna.

• In the Brahma-samhita also, the color of Krishna's body is compared to that of a bluish cloud.

The color of His transcendental form is not a color of the world within our experience. 

Since you asked, here's what Srila Prabhupada and Srimad-Bhagavatam say on the topic you raise:

"The Supreme Personality of Godhead has a cheerful, lotus-like countenance with ruddy eyes like the interior of a lotus and a swarthy body like the petals of a blue lotus. He bears a conch, discus and mace in three of His hands.

"The color of the Personality of Godhead, Krishna, is described here as nilotpala-dala, meaning that it is like that of a lotus flower with petals tinted blue and white. People always ask why Krishna is blue. The color of the Lord has not been imagined by an artist. It is described in authoritative scripture.

His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada | Prabhupada
  • Hare krishna, AGTSP

Generally Krishnas Murthy should be Black in Color ,But It is very hard to get that Black Stone which can be used to made into Diety , Therefore white marble is used , Krishna can Come and Receive Devotion from his devotees in any material  object whatever the color is, he is Transcendental and can also appear in a Material form 

This reply was deleted.