Caitanya Mahaprabhu wrote:"namnam akari bahudha nija-sarva-shaktistatrarpita niyamitah smarane na kalahetadrishi tava kripa bhagavan mamapidurdaivam idrisham ihajani nanuragahaO my Lord, Your holy name alone can render all benediction to living beings, and thus You have hundreds and millions of names like Krishna and Govinda. In these transcendental names You have invested all Your transcendental energies. There are not even hard and fast rules for chanting these names. O my Lord, out of kindness You enable us to easily approach You by Your holy names, but I am so unfortunate that I have no attraction for them."Why do we have no attraction to the holy names?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• as a fish is reliant upon water the freedom the purity and any potentially attractive aspects of the spirit are completely 100% reliant upon the Liborating Light of He Head God's for it's spiritual progress.
    "The GodHeads is light, and Neshence is darkness, and where there is the God Heads there can be no nonsense" Go back to the GodHeads & Chant Haray Bollah
  • Quite simply I state that to have no attraction for the chanting of the holy names is like the flower or the Fruit tree having no attraction for the sunshine, i.e. That is not possible! only if #1 one is a straight Demon or no. 2 One is doing Something drasticly wrong while chanting performence

• hare krsna pahmo

na dhanam na janam na sundarim kavitham jagadis ye mama janmani janmani isvare bhavthad bhakti ahaitukhi

i only want your devotion and associate with devotees who have the taste for chanting the holy name

• Those who seeks to be honored, fed, served and paid for their service to Lord, and whose hearts can not melt despite years of the effort, consider to be still materialistic neophytes on the bhakti path.

Their association is good for those on their level, but those who wanna progress should not associate with them.

• We have no attraction to the Holy Names of the Lord because of our diseased condition- thinking "I am this body".  Just as a person with jaundice experiences sugar, in all forms, to taste bitter, so in our bodily consciousness we similarly experience chanting as bitter, rather than the sweetest nectar.

We are attracted to things not directly connected to Krsna- this is also our disease.  We have a 'taste' for mundane things- mundane music, mundane dance, mundane foods, mundane thoughts, and so on.

But by the process known as 'dovetailing' our activities, avoiding sinful acts, and chanting the Holy Names, we gradually become purified.

As Krsna tells Arjuna "param drstva nivartate" -by experiencing a higher taste we can give up the lower tastes.

Therefore by offering our foodstuffs to Krsna through the parampara, by proper Vaishnava association, by proper hearing, etc. we get a taste of the spiritual, transcendental world, which is incomparable to anything within this material universe.

All this comes by the mercy of Guru and Krsna.

• Of course He/we have attraction for chanting or i.e. the experience/results  of chanting that is just an advanced devotees way of saying how much he/she they miss Krishna and want to be engaged in that service again sooner the better!-). .

crying out, like a child for it's mother crying out because they have discovered, there is one who hears when they Pray.

One might say an advanced devotee expression the ecstasy of the transcendental mellow of the pains of separation from God/"more daddy more " of your sweet Love.

As Krishna (is) the divine origins and substance of all things and His transcendental names are  also Himself there is no Heart or mind that cannot (over time) become attracted to them. this is one certainty we as Vishnavas have, "when the Holy names of Krishna are chanted, we then begin to attract many many millions of minds hearts eyes ears and mouths.

• The point is attractions & attachments can be involved & controlled through our own direct efforts, where as (Love) is not so much!-( /easily brought under our control.
  • Good question I say, devotion to the aspects of yoga and attentiveness & consistency is more lastingly impressionable on the mind body and spirit. Than just bouncing around in the spirit of collaboration. Nothing wrong with glee but' pure love & submission plus focused chanting (in yoga)- I feel, Will bear the most lasting and Bonnafishel results. (LOVE) As we know, or should known is actually a quality of God But few others
    (in-fact) so if you want to understand why I recommend we direct our efforts towards developing attraction & attachment over "Love"
    as love is, actually not a strong propensity in our basic ability & nature having spent many many lifetimes of ruthless carnivorous behaviours. So in conclusion of the three bonds (Love, attachment & attraction) through devotion to service, yoga & Chanting strive for a reciprocal relationship 1st. & Let "LOVE" grow naturally. Just chant properly" the sweet names of Haray and let nature or proposition of Love, take it's own cource?
  • Thank you very much to all you prabhus who have answered my question

Hare Krishna
  • Volunteer

The answer to this, the second verse of Sikshastakam prayers is given in the 3rd verse of the same prayers.

First verse is offering glories to the Sankirtan Movement.

Second verse is about glories of the Holy Names of Krishna.

Third verse is the instruction of Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

tṛṇād api su-nīcena

taror iva sahiṣṇunā

amāninā māna-dena

kīrtanīyaḥ sadā hariḥ

TRANSLATION By A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

“One who thinks himself lower than the grass, who is more tolerant than a tree, and who does not expect personal honor yet is always prepared to give all respect to others can very easily always chant the holy name of the Lord.”

Locanath Maharaj explains this in the first 7 minutes of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HjiI5UI0Aw

Hope this has clarified your question.

This reply was deleted.