Why do I have so many problems with my job?

It seems that I am the one always having problems with work. I am worried about losing my job and ending up homeless. On the other hand, the people at work who eat meat, do drugs and drink alcohol and do other sinful activities never seem to get in trouble at work. Why is Krishna always blessing them and giving them job security and I seem to be under some kind of job curse?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• na tatsiddhau loka-vyāvahāro heyaḥ kintu phala-tyāgas tat-sādhanaḿ ca kāryam eva

Even after one has achieved devotional service, one should not abandon one's responsibilities in this world but should rather continue surrendering the results of one's work to the Lord. And while still trying to reach the stage of pure devotion, one must certainly continue executing prescribed duties.

Lord Kṛṣṇa has strongly criticized the pseudo renunciants who live at the cost of society: "One who restrains the senses of action but whose mind dwells on sense objects certainly deludes himself and is called a pretender" (Bg. 3.7). Śrīla Prabhupāda states that it is better to work in karma-yoga (Kṛṣṇa consciousness) within one'svarṇa and āśrama designation:

A householder can also reach this destination [Viṣṇu, or Kṛṣṇa] by regulated service in Kṛṣṇa consciousness. For self-realization, one can live a controlled life, as prescribed in the śāstras, and continue carrying out his business without attachment, and in that way make progress. A sincere person who follows this method is far better situated than the false pretender who adopts show-bottle spiritualism to cheat the innocent public. A sincere sweeper in the street is far better than the charlatan meditator who meditates only for the sake of making a living. [Bg. 3.7, purport]

This does not mean, however, that ordinary work is itself the fulfillment of human life. The karmī slogan "Work is worship" is not the same as working in Kṛṣṇaconsciousness. But one has to do both: work to earn one's living and at the same time work for the satisfaction of Viṣṇu, or KṛṣṇaŚrīla Prabhupāda writes, "Any other work done in this material world will be a cause of bondage, for both good and evil work have their reactions, and any reaction binds the performer."

How to maintain oneself and one's family and at the same time work for Kṛṣṇa is a great art, and as such it requires the guidance of the Lord's devotee. If obligations to family and society conflict with one's basic spiritual vows, then one must give first priority to the spiritual duties. One who has taken initiation into spiritual life should never give up his vow to chant a quota of holy names daily and to fulfill the basic orders of the spiritual master.

Whether a Vaiṣṇava works in the business world or lives as a renunciant, he should never be embarrassed to preach Kṛṣṇa consciousness or doubt the value of preaching. Even if we consider preaching work a debt to humanity, it is a crucial social commitment. Once the mother and father of a young devotee complained to ŚrīlaPrabhupāda that their son was a full-time student in the Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement. They said they wanted him to become a doctor. Prabhupāda replied that they should let the young man decide for himself, and that in any case, there were many doctors in the world but few serious devotees. Prabhupāda said that the work of the devotee was more important than the work of a physician. A doctor can repair the health of a few hundred people, but even that is temporary. Medical cures do not free the patient from his karma, which forces him to take rebirth and suffer again in another material body. But a devotee who successfully distributes Kṛṣṇa consciousness can help people achieve liberation from birth and death. So his work is the most important in the world.

Although he may not be an expert politician or economist, a bhakta knows the real cause of people's suffering — forgetfulness of their relationship with Kṛṣṇa, which leads to their becoming conditioned by the modes of material nature. Knowing that bhakti-yoga is the only way to extricate oneself from material conditioning and reestablish one's relationship with God, the devotee tries to distribute knowledge of Kṛṣṇa consciousness. Śrīla Prabhupāda writes, "Since the [devotee] tries to broadcast the importance of becoming Kṛṣṇa conscious, he is the best philanthropist in the world" (Bg. 6.32, purport).

The preacher stays connected to the world, yet he is transcendental to worldly concerns. Although some yogīs abandon society and cultivate their own spiritual salvation, the bhakti-yogī who follows Prahlāda Mahārāja, Lord Caitanya, and Śrīla Prabhupāda keeps a compassionate connection with the people of the world. As LordCaitanya stated to His followers, "Distribute this Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement all over the world. Let people eat these fruits [of love of God] and ultimately become free from old age and death" (Cc. Ādi 9.39).

The surrendered devotee, therefore, does not worry about his worldly situation, nor does he support mundane welfare causes. But to satisfy Lord Caitanya and the spiritual masters descending from Him in disciplic succession, he works magnanimously on behalf of all living beings by spreading Kṛṣṇa consciousness.

• Hare Krishna,

When things goes wrong and when u fail its better try harder remembering Krishna. You have to understand Krishna is there to help u but u have to save the job at any cost unless the inevitable happens.

Its easy for few people to say Krishna takes away everything when he has grace on some one, and gives the example of Guruji Srila.Prabhu Pada. Please understand that not every one can be a true devotee and not always Krishna will take everything from u. This world lacks true devotees and Krishna wants us try hard to retain job. He wants you and me to pray to him with devotion and not for job and he understands when we loose the job our mind wastes time looking for a job. And when we are in job at least we try to make success for the pleasure of Krishna(though he does not want it). Even Guruji has said many times we have to work hard in our present occupation in job or in business and be KC and be exemplary in our acts and winning the professional life, such that it will help other materialistic people to come towards Krishna. Krishna wont create a situation where u loose everything after coming to him and discourage others.....with only few exceptions like our Gurujis. 

Try to understand.....when people become weak or idle they start to blame Krishna saying he took away everything from you and thus u should stop trying....No. Krishna assigned u a job...save it....do everything to win it.....for Krishna. Because when we loose we will create a false impression that Krishna took it from us because we loved him...........which is not at all true.

Hari Bola

• Hare Krishna mataji,

Please accept my humble obeisances.

I write to you as a person who had lived through such extremely difficult situations at work. Not that i came out with flying colors but I quit after bearing it for years with increasing troubles from my colleagues, it was as if i was waging a single handed war against the whole team. When i quit, i at once felt the relief that is heavenly,in a way felt i escaped the daemons, but miseries started taking a different form viz monetary, finding another job etc..I don't regret my decision, but learned that problems persist but the intensity and form change. Having had a glorious material life in the past, i wouldn't have been able to live through this or wouldn't be living through this, if not for Shri Krishna. Believe in Shri Krishna and just march ahead in life no matter what. Like Shri Krishna said, if He likes a devotee, He takes away everything from Him/Her. At the best you feel that the Supreme Lord loves you the most :), what else can you ask for in a lifetime?

I pray Shri Krishna to get you out of the trouble soon.

Pasting a lecture from Srila Prabhupad(Courtesy prabhupadabooks.com) to make you feel better,

(Prabhupāda singing along with "Govindam" record)

Prabhupāda: Thank you very much. Everything all right?

Devotees: Jaya.

Prabhupāda: Hare Kṛṣṇa. (chuckles) Ārādhito yadi haris tapasā tataḥ kim [Nārada-pañcarātra]. Govindam ādi-puruṣa is known as Hari. Hari means "who takes away all your miseries." That is Hari. Hara. Hara means taking away. Harate. So just like thief also takes away, but he takes away the valuable things, material consideration, sometimes Kṛṣṇa also takes away your material valuables just to show you special favor. Yasyāham anugṛhṇāmi hariṣye tad-dhanaṁ śanaiḥ [SB 10.88.8]. Yudhiṣṭhira Mahārāja inquired from Kṛṣṇa that "We are supposed to be very pious. My brothers are great warriors, my wife is exactly the goddess of fortune, and above all, You are our personal friend. So how is this that we have lost everything? (chuckling) We have lost our kingdom, we have lost our wife, we have lost our honor—everything." So in reply to this, Kṛṣṇa said, yasyāham anugṛhṇāmi hariṣye tad-dhanaṁ śanaiḥ: "My first favor is that I take away all riches of My devotee." Therefore people are not very much enthusiastic to come to Kṛṣṇa consciousness. But He does it. Just like the Pāṇḍavas were in the beginning put into difficulty, but later on they became the most exalted personalities throughout the whole history. That is Kṛṣṇa's favor. In the beginning, He may do like that because we have got attachment for our material acquisitions.

So... That is my personal experience. In the beginning, when my Guru Mahārāja ordered me, I thought it that "I shall first of all become very rich man; then I shall preach." (laughs) So I was doing very nice in business. In the business circle, I got very good name, and with whom I was dealing business, they were very satisfied. But Kṛṣṇa made so trick that He broke everything, and He obliged me to take sannyāsa. So that is Hari. So that I had to come to your country with only seven dollars. So they are criticizing, "The swami came here with no money. Now he's so opulent." (chuckles) So they are taking the back side, black side, you see? But the thing is... Of course, I have become profited, profitable, or I have acquired profit. I left my home, my children and everything. I came here as a pauper, with seven dollars. That is no money. But I have got now big properties, hundreds of children. (laughter) And I haven't got to think for their provision. They are thinking of me. So that is Kṛṣṇa's favor. In the beginning, it appears to be very bitter. When I took sannyāsa, when I was living alone, I was feeling very bitter. I, sometimes I was thinking, "Whether I have done wrong by accepting?" So when I was publishing this Back to Godhead from Delhi, one day one bull thrashed me, and I fell down on the footpath and I got severe injury. I was alone. So I was thinking, "What is this?" So I had very, days of very tribulations, but it was all meant for good. So don't be afraid of tribulations. You see? Go forward. Kṛṣṇa will give you protection. That is Kṛṣṇa's promise in the Bhagavad-gītā. Kaunteya pratijānīhi na me bhaktaḥ praṇaśyati: [Bg. 9.31] "Kaunteya, My dear son of Kunti, Arjuna, you can declare throughout the whole world that My devotees will never be vanquished. You can declare that." And why He's asking Arjuna to declare? Why He does not declare Himself? There is meaning. Because if He promises, there are instances that He sometimes broke His promise. But if a devotee promises, it will be never broken. Kṛṣṇa will give protection; therefore He says His devotee that "You declare." There is no chance of being broken. Kṛṣṇa is so kind that sometimes He breaks His promise, but if His devotee promises, He takes very careful attention that His devotee's promise may not be broken. That is Kṛṣṇa's favor.

So ārādhito yadi haris tapasā tataḥ kim [Nārada-pañcarātra]. We are worshiping govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ, the supreme original Personality of Godhead who is known as Hari. The Vedic scripture says ārādhito yadi hariḥ. If you have come to the point of worshiping Hari, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, tapasā tataḥ kim, then there is no more need of austerity, penances, yoga practice, or this or that, so many sacrifices, ritualistic... All finished. You do not require to take trouble for these things if you have come to the point of sacrificing everything for Hari. Ārādhito yadi haris tapasā tataḥ kim. And nārādhito yadi haris tapasā tataḥ kim. And you are performing austerities, penances, sacrifices, ritualistic ceremony—everything—but I do not know what is Hari: it is useless, all useless. Nārādhito yadi hariḥ, nārādhitaḥ. If you do not come to the point of worshiping Hari, then all these things are useless. Tataḥ kim. Antarbahir yadi haris tapasā tataḥ kim. If you always see Hari within yourself and if you see Hari always outside, inside and outside... Tad vantike tad dūre tad... What is that verse? Īśopaniṣad? Tad antare... Dūre tad antike sarvasya. Hari is present everywhere, so one who sees Hari, antike, near, or distant place, within, outside, he does not see anything except Hari. How it becomes possible? Premāñjana-cchurita-bhakti-

vilocanena [Bs. 5.38]. When one is merged into the love of God, he does not see anything in the world except Hari. That is his vision. So antarbahir yadi hari, inside and outside, if you always see Hari, Kṛṣṇa, tapasā tataḥ kim, then what is the use of your other austerities and penances? You are on the topmost level. That is wanted. Nanta-bahir yadi haris tapasā tataḥ kim. And if you do not see within and outside Hari always, then what is the value of your austerities? Therefore in the morning we chant this mantra, govindam ādi-puruṣam tam ahaṁ bhajāmi **. We have no other business. Simply we have to satisfy Govinda, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa. Then everything is complete. He is complete and His worship is complete, His devotee is complete. Everything is complete.

Thank you. Chant. (kīrtana) (end)

Hare Krishna.

• Thanks to all for your comments. I was called into the supervisor's office today. I have been fired from my job now. Please pray that I will find another job soon. I am very scared. It's no fun to be old and alone.

• Hare Krishna !

I totally understand where you are coming from. I know how it feels to have problems at work. its very disheartening. I have been there, i have faced major issues at work place in past. But i stood my ground and did my work. the person playing politics turned everyone towards her and everyone was against me, i was so lonely, nobody used to talk to me at work... Time went by the truth came out, the real personality and nature of people cannot stay hidden for long. Everyone realized what is fair and what is unfair what is right and what is wrong. Those very people who never talked to me wanted to be my friends. Anyways I would just say that problems keep you humble so you always remember HIM. Everything happens for a reason and Krishna is always with you guiding you showing you the way. Please do not lose heart.

Also i have wondered many times that why those people who never take God's name and eat meat and drink and be merry, never face any issues in life. They are basically living a very relaxed life without any worries. But that is when i take shelter of Gita to keep reminding myself that my problems and issues are result of my karma in this life and past and the people who are free of troubles have great karma.

Hari Bol

• Read Teaching of Queen Kunti...What Kunti say's to Krishna??

Give me much more & more trouble so that i will remember you more... more i will suffer more i will attracted towards you... That should be the attitude of pure devotee :)

BG 15.1: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: It is said that there is an imperishable banyan tree that has its roots upward and its branches down and whose leaves are the Vedic hymns. One who knows this tree is the knower of the Vedas.

BG 15.2: The branches of this tree extend downward and upward, nourished by the three modes of material nature. The twigs are the objects of the senses. This tree also has roots going down, and these are bound to the fruitive actions of human society.

BG 15.3-4: The real form of this tree cannot be perceived in this world. No one can understand where it ends, where it begins, or where its foundation is. But with determination one must cut down this strongly rooted tree with the weapon of detachment. Thereafter, one must seek that place from which, having gone, one never returns, and there surrender to that Supreme Personality of Godhead from whom everything began and from whom everything has extended since time immemorial.

yasyAham anugrihnriAmi harishye tad-dhanaM shanaiH tato ‘dhanaM tyajanty asya sva-janA duHkha-duHkhitam

“When I feel especially merciful towards someone, I gradually take away all his material possessions. His friends and relatives then reject this poverty-stricken and most wretched fellow”

http://vedabase.net/sb/10/88/8/en1

http://iskconvrindavan.com/2012/09/acceptance-of-sannyasa-by-srila-...

You are very dear to Krishna... Just change the vision to see the things ...

You are not this body,You are the Soul so do you worries about all other things??

Don't you wanna go home as soon as possible??

• My neighbor was recently evicted from her apt. She almost ended up homeless. I guess I see the misfortune of others and think I will be next. She had 2 jobs and was working so hard and then her own brother stole all of her money, her computer,and all of her valuables. Krishna has been good to me in life so I do have some faith in Krishna. Yes, I do need to pray to Krishna out of desperation.

• Volunteer

Dear Mataji, please do not be sad. If You loose Your job then go to live in Vaishnava community and be engaged in full time service to Krishna. He will be Your boss. 

Please visit the next web site: http://www.iskconcenters.com/farm-and-rural-communities/

You will find rural projects. If were You, residing in US and in Your situation i would go and be a full time servant of Krishna. Because  there is not hope to this world. Everyone will reject us. But Krishna does not do so. 

Here in India such like places are few but in US there are many and especially for Vanaprastha Devotees. In the association of Devotees You will be safe materially and spiritually.

For example, there is New Vrindavan Dham in Virginia i guess...very nice community.

Your servant, 

• Thanks to all for your wonderful and kind comments. Many many years ago, I did live in a Temple. It was very stressful for me and I only lasted 6 months. The devotees were kind but my mentality is too disturbed and not advanced enough to live as a Temple devotees. I have 2 old cats that I have to care for. I am praying that Krishna will allow me to live long enough to care for my 2 cats until they die.

• Bhaktin Maral. Have you ever thought of moving to the USA? There are many wonderful Temples here in the USA that would love to have you.

This reply was deleted.