Which Temples have a strict "dress code"?

I heard about a lady who went to an ISKCON Temple for Mongal Arotik. She was not wearing a sari and was told that she couldn't attend Mongal Arotik because she was not wearing a sari. Does anyone know which Temples have a strict dress code? I know the Temples in the USA do not have strict dress codes.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Mayapur is a Holy Land. People come there to deep themselves in the thoughts of Lord's Lilas...

Chant Holy Names and do other services.

But if we - girls wear clothes which are too much attractive; too short or not so much covered then people will be attracted to our body. So we will be a disturbance for them.

So why to disturb others?

Saree is beautiful in everyone. It shows woman's beauty even covering it from feet to head.

If Saree is uncomfortable then women can wear Gopi dress or long dress with blouse as You told Pandora Mataji.

There are so many nice cotton gopi dresses.

Also it is hot so one may need something to cover the head.

Or else to have umbrella or sunscreen cream;

In the reality when I visit Mayapur I see girls and women decorated so nicely be it covered but it is really beautiful.

Girls are beautiful in long gopi dresses and sarees.

Your servant,

• Hare Krishna Bhaktin Maral

Sadly, this was not a situation where a woman wore a short skirt or was not covered up appropriately. I heard that the lady was wearing a long skirt and a blouse and was dressed appropriately. From what I understand, she was denied being able to attend Mongal Arotik for only one reason:" SHE WAS NOT WEARING A SAREE"

It amazes me that no one here seems to give a damn that this woman was not allowed to go to Mongal Arotik for only one reason. She was not wearing a saree. Is this how some Temples treat their quests? I thought quests were suppose to be treated very nicely and with the utmost respect? Aren't we suppose to be encouraging everyone to attend Mongal Arotik? I do not know which Temple rejected this woman.

• Volunteer

This may happen in some Gurukuls where everyone must wear Vaishnava cloth.

But never heard of it.

It is like a school form in India is must for school children so in some Gurukuls it is must to wear saree.

Your servant,

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Pandora mataji,

PAMHO.

How can anyone give a damn when we dont even know which temple your friend went to. I have been to ISKCON temples and am not aware of any temple which will not allow gopi dress for mangal arati. Maybe she understood wrong. We dont know facts, then how can we clarify or do anything about it.

You can log on to www.mayapur.tv anyday and see mangalarati or darshan arati from archives and see what the women are wearing for yourself, if you dont believe me and judge what I am telling you.

I am aware of temples in Kerala where they do not allow women except in a saree, but those are the age old temples and not an ISKCON temple.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna Rashmi Khaitan

I heard about it being discussed on facebook and am trying to find someone who knows which Temple this occurred at. All I remember was that they were discussing about a lady who was properly covered up with a blouse and long skirt and that it happened at an ISKCON Temple. Hopefully, I can find out for sure which ISKCON Temple this occurred at. All I know for sure is that it did not happen at an ISKCON Temple in the USA. if I ever find out for sure, I will post it here for all to see.  I visit the Mayapur Temple every day in my pajamas lol! How do I do it? I stay home here in the USA and watch the video "Sri Pancha Tattva  Maha Abhiseka 2014" every day. It's the best video I have ever seen!!!

• Many Temples in India follow the dress code, but not that completely, only in ISKCON temples u can see mataji's in saris
    • Hare Krishna Seetaraman lyer

Thank you for your comments.  I thought it was suppose to be "you are not this body you are spirit soul"

Instead it seems to be "you are not this body you are your clothing" 

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Pandora mataji,

PAMHO.

Why the objection to follow the norm? The brahmacharis and sanyasis are trying to lead a celibate life. They are trying - not everyone is in the brahmabhta prasannatma stage. Would it not be a good idea to cover up so that they are not distracted.

ISKCON has adopted Indian culture and in India, ladies in particular are always covered up, and we dont find it insulting. In India, ladies who are not appropriately dressed are not viewed with respect. Srila Prabhupada was also particular that the ladies wore Indian sarees in particular and even covered their heads.

Would you rathar devotees talk about your dressing sense or the lack of dress or about what principles and philosophy you follow?

One thing I forgot to mention, hair should be tied up - minimum one clutch should be there on hair. It should not be left completely open.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna Rashmi

When I use to wear sarees they did not look good on me. They were very uncomfortable. I think sarees are very beautiful and many women know how to put them on so they look very nice. I am not one of those women. So I am not welcome to attend Mongal Arotik because of my clothing of a long skirt and a blouse? I thought we were suppose to encourage all people to attend Mongal Arotik?

That's OK. I'll just stay here in the USA where I won't have to worry about being banned from going to Mongal Arotik.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

I have explained to you in details what will be accepted in Mayapur temple, and that saree is NOT compulsory, giving you a solution that is workable for you.

The second post was a response to your comment  I thought it was suppose to be "you are not this body you are spirit soul"

Instead it seems to be "you are not this body you are your clothing" 

When I first visited Mayapur in 1989 Dec., then the rules were not so strict. If they have been made strict, I am sure there are reasons behind it and it is not for me to question. Authorities who have taken this decision would have something in mind and would have taken an informed and a well thought out decision. They are advanced souls and we should respect and try to abide by their decision. I was only trying to explain to you the whys of the whats, in my own limited understanding.

The decision to come to Mayapur or stay in USA is yours. Krsna is everywhere and He doesnt see any dress to grant His mercy.

Haribol,

Your humble servant,

Rashmi

This reply was deleted.