Hare Krishna 

For example Bhagavad-gita as it is 2.20

For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain. 

There are many such verses which describe the eternal individuality of the soul. Can we elaborate on more such comforting verses?

Hari Bol 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

क्षिप्रं भवति धर्मात्मा शश्वच्छान्तिं निगच्छति ।
    कौन्तेय प्रतिजानीहि न मे भक्त: प्रणश्यति ॥ ३१ ॥
    kṣipraṁ bhavati dharmātmā
    śaśvac-chāntiṁ nigacchati
    kaunteya pratijānīhi
    na me bhaktaḥ praṇaśyati
    He quickly becomes righteous and attains lasting peace. O son of Kuntī, declare it boldly that My devotee never perishes. ( BG 9.31)

Hare Krsna
    • Hare Krishna Bharat Prabhu 

The relevance of this verse is explained in the Purport of Bhagavad-gita as it is 9.30:

" The material contamination is so strong that even a yogi fully engaged in the transcendental service of the Lord sometimes becomes ensnared; but Krsna consciousness is so strong that such an occasional fall down is at once rectified. Therefore the process of devotional service is always a success. "

This is indeed very comforting because sometimes devotional service and the conditional service in relation to the body will parallel one another. As far as possible,  a devotee is very cautious so that he does not do anything that could disrupt his wholesome condition. He knows that perfection in his activities depends on his progressive realization of Krsna consciousness. 

These conditional activities cannot be avoided because as for protecting the body or by abiding by the rules of society and state, certainly there are different activities, even for the devotees. For example: Gayatri Mataji lives in the USA. She has to comply with the rules of that particular country. She has to maintain her green card and there may be so many other problems that could become become opposed to devotional service. 

The living entity who is fully conscious of his spiritual nature must engage in activities of Krsna consciousness. That is the only guarantee of success in all endeavors. No one should deride a devotee for some accidental fall down from the ideal path, because such occasional fall downs will be stopped in due course, as soon as a devotee is completely situated in Krsna consciousness. 

Hari Bol 

• Hare Krishna,

For me the most comforting verse is 18.66.

सर्वधर्मान्परित्यज्य मामेकं शरणं व्रज |
    अहं त्वां सर्वपापेभ्यो मोक्षयिष्यामि मा शुच: || 66||

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

Why it is comforting me is Lord after tell whole bhagwad gita gave one final hint .. arey pagalo.. idar udhar mat bhago, sirf mere sharan mein aajao. mai tumko saare bandhano se mukt kar doonga.

whenever I feel sad, I read this. and feel Okay, God said Sharnagati total surrender. It gives me immense strength and sense of joy that ATLEAST IN THIS JANAM I am trying to do Sharnagati to Lord.

Since many births I didn't even know who was God, some millions of births I have been in ignorance. This birth I am able to atleast read this verse and understand the importance of Surrender!!!

atleast in coming birth I may lose all attachments and do total surrender.

Because surrender is very tough to implement. One needs to leave everything. Atleast in this life I came to know what is " Surrender"

One story I am reminded here:-

One goswami maharaj was  once visited by Narad muni and the narad muni also visited  at the same time to a very staunch brahmina learned & scholarly.  The Brahmina asks,  Narad muni ji when will I be taken back to Vaikuntha pls. tell. Narad muni said to the Scholarly brahmin. I don't know about you but this goswami ji I know when he is going back to Vaikuntha/ goloka .. Brahmin became curious and asked when will he go pls. tell??  Narad muni ji told-- this person will go to Goloka when the leaves of this tree all fall down.  Brahmina laughed loudly and said that is going to be forever. But the goswami ji heard this and started to dance in ecstasy.......crying dancing... Narad muni ji then asked to explain what make him so ecstatic when this Brahmina felt it is going to be forever??

Goswami ji said.. I am exceited because you told this good news that when once the tree leaves fall off I can go back. I have a hope now to wait. I am done I am done. Tree leaves will fall some day and I will go back to my Lord. 

We should be thankful to Lord that in his janam we are reading BHAGWAD GITA  and we are able to understand what is " SURRENDER" from now our Spiritual journey started .. it may take some more births from now to completely do the surrender... But hope is there  " AB HUM ne Bhakti ka khata khol diya." Ab yahan se saffer aasaan hoga.. Kyon ki Bhagwan ne humara haath Thaam liyo. 

Hare Krishna

Thanks to Krishna.

• Hare Krishna Mataji 

This most confidential verse of the Bhagavad-gita is the ultimate conclusion. The wording of this verse is in itself very comforting as the Lord Himself says 'ma sucah'. Do not worry, if you follow this principle of complete surrender unto Me. As far as surrender is concerned it is proportionate to the extent of our faith in Lord Krsna only. He says emphatically 'mam ekam' which means Me only. Ordinarily we respect and adore so many great and powerful living entities and it is very rare to find someone who is completely dependent on Krsna only. Such a person indeed receives special care from the Lord..

Hari Bol 

Hari Bol 

• Hare Krishna Dipin Prabhu ji,

The thing is I also know Surrender is porpostionate to the extent of faith in Krishna. Krishna reciprocates also to that much extend only. But when I read about pure devotees and Goswami charitras. I feel I am no where. We don't even do so much as these great saints do. If I start comparing I don't feel I even surrendered 0.0001% also yet.

Hmm, agar hum log jo bhi bhakti kar rahe hai utte mein hi santosh ho jaaye toh .. spiritual progress nahi ho payega na? 

Are you satisfied with whatever you have surrerended. does it feel complete? I don't feel so, 

First of all in love and bhakti.. there is always a feeling that I cannot do like them that comparision is there always. It was there even among gopis' spiritual competition. Ofcourse their love was so much that they always tried do more and more perfectly.  Yet there is always some thing more than what we do. We cannot reach those levels .. And I am not satified with whatever bhakti I do also.

In mateiral things one must feel contended  and satisfied but not in spiritual endeavors, I feel so.

what do you think?

Hare Krishna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

The ideal situation is to be materially always satisfied and spritually always dissatisfied. Then only we can progress. 

To be materially satisfied does not mean we stop all material endeavour. It means we stop hankering after material gains. Endeavour we still do. Like Dipin Preet prabhu mentioned that he has to constantly challenge the muscles to build his body, that is his karma/ duty for the profession he is in. THat is not hankering. If he is constantly hankering for something better, then its a problem.

Constant hankering/ laulyam should be only for spiritual things. Like we got darshan of some saintly pure vaishnava, simply by darshan we are not satisfied. We hanker for association, hearing from him. This does not mean we dont let anyone else get his association. It means that we are never thinking - O I got what I wanted, enough. There is never enough. Yes, I got what I was looking for. I would like to turn my good fortune into more devotional service and service more, with more heart and mind and effort and concentration and so on. This is spiritual hankering and it is desired. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna Mata ji,

PAMHO,

Thank you for answering. I Understood we shouldn't become jealous of others in Spirituality. Let all of them participate in bhakt and keep seeking imporvization in ourselves. That is right well worded by you. Jealousy has no place in bhakti total but we can keep improving comparing with others.

Like mata ji these days I am getting busier, I am into higher studies and want to do something more in medical field and I yes, because after coming to USA. My study is Homeopathy and I didnt find any way to practice homeopathy here as its not legalized, and moreover I was on dependent visa and my child was too small to leave him and go. Now my child is 16, my husband is well earning, Software professional. I don't have much things to do at home also. I was feeling I must do something more study more in medicine only since a long time. But it was never fruitful. Now that we are getting permenant residency status also in USA. I felt I must do something at this age. I applied for a medical insititute and passed their entrance exam, They said you have good knowledge why don't you pursure further studies. I was elated but I am already 43 yr old. But they said in Medical field their is no age. You start any time and you will get a job and you  can help community. I got enrolled it is a 18 month programe learning Ultrasonography. And It was my dream career also. As it is a high paying and less risky job. When I was young I had this ambition of name and fame and money. I was like ordinary professional ... who comes out of the a medical college.

But when ever I hankered for material gains... I got divered to do free service.  HAHHAA. When India also, I was trying to establish a clinic and get name and fame... I was not getting much patients as it was new clinic but was invited by the local temple to do seva at the temple charitable trust. I felt okay I can divert some of the clients to my clinic in this way. BUT Alas!! I could not. Then got married came to USA. I never got a chance to strat clinic here at all as it is not insurance covered here. It is not illegal people do take homeopathy here but the thing it is not covered by insurance so, not many would opt to come to me even if I open a clinic and my visa status was not permitting me to work also that time.  

Look at the fun part. At this age when I got all perfect going on.. I have legal authorization to work, I am ready to study, my son is quite big, My husband is encouraging me to study .. and I got the career path which I always hankered for. I Have been told by many devotee friends.. Mata ji.. aap ab kyon padhna chahti ho? aapke husband toh ache kama bhi rahe hai,, aap log well settled ho, aapko abhi paison ki kya zaroorat hai? aap sirf bhakti karlo kyon aap yeh maaya mein padh rahi ho ab jaake?

Well paison ki zaroorat nahi rahi, na ab mujhe kaam karne ki zaroorat hai. I can sit nicely and eat and enjoy life and do bhakti. But there is one desire adhoorapan left that I didnt do justice to my career. I studied for MBBS and I could not get I studied very well, but vidhi has some other plans for me. I got into govt. homoepathic medical college. I felt okay not bad... even this one can shine and get name fame, money.. aakhir hum log kyon karte hai job ... ki agar koi .. problems ho gayi apne husband kama  nahi rahe teekh se toh hum bhi haath bata sakte hai ... My inlaws said u don't need to work at all. Humara beta kama toh raha hai itta. Tumko sirf ghar smabhalna hai. I felt It was like was faded. I didnt get fair chance. Because I was very studious and I got University top rank in Homeopathy also. I was like what is this. Mere plans aise kyon pher gaye.

Now when I got chance to study, work, husband is encoraging, inlaws not there to say anything, child is cooperative and is independent. College is supportive said you can study at any age. Pls. join. Your knowledge is good you passed the entrance exam with good grade. Now devotees around me saying abhi kyon.. kyon maya mein ghus rahe ho aap.?

But this was my desire to work in medical field attain something I had this hankering at the start......Now there is no need. But that hankering now Lord gives me oppurtunity to do whateevr I want??? Itte din kyon nahi diya bhagwan ne??  Now I am old also. I am not needy for money or have any hankering to do get something in life .. Kya hai ki pata nahi chal raha ab kyon bhagwan chance dete hai. Maybe Lord wants to fulfil my desire and finish of that small left over desire also  .   HAHA at this age? kya karne ka hai?  But ya, I enrolled and studying and also working to pay loan. I told my husband I want to be independent. I will pay for my loans. I dont want you to spend anything for me. Let me work and pay for loans. I will feel happy and contentend that I did something in life. I must get contended materially also.. nahi toh yeh baaki reh gaya iccha toh yehi iccha ke liye mujhe phir se janam lena padega na. So let me stand on my feet now. He is fully supportive guy. One great thing I must be have done many good merits in past life. I got a good supportive husband. He smiled and said okay do it on ur own pay ur loans and study. I am working and studying and handling home also. Now I felt I missed something in life which I wanted to be .. but Yeh age mein mila mujhe woh sab>>?? funny. I dont hankering for money nor I have hankering for  job or career ( sab icchaye marr gayi thi kab ka) I felt this is the end I came to USA ,, inlaws dont need me to work. Husband has good job. I don't have career in USA as homeopathy is insurance covered. I have nothing to do except Sri Krishna bhakti. Kya life diya hai bhagwan ne. Sirf baith ke Bhakti karo aur kuch nahi.

Now I get all that whatever I wanted ever. LOL!!! kaike ke liye pata nahi but kar rahi hoon. Thinking.. May God wants me to 1. finish my desire. 2. help patients. Anyways thats the katha.

Hankering hi jab marr jaaye tab dete hai mere ko sab Bhagwan. 

Hare Krishna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

THank you for opening up and sharng. I think it is a disease among devotees to keep on saying do devotion, no need to do anything else. 

If you become a practising doctor, how does that hamper your devotion? YOu are use your practise to serve people and make them devotees, or atleast give them prasadam. I know of surgeons in India who have some or the other bhajan on in the OT, esp if the patient has been given only local anaesthesia. DOctors keep Srila Prabhupada books in the patient waiting area instead of mundane news or filmi magazines.If there is a desire to do devotional service, it can be done anywhere, somehow.

You have rightly identified that there is a desire in you, better to address it when you are getting chance in this lifetime and get over with it. As already discussed, you can dovetail that desire to serve the lord as wel.

Another good realisation is that this wish fulfilment is coming at a time when the hankering is over. THese are the ways of our lord. He will grant us our wish once the hankering is over. It helps us to balance, doesnt it? It also tells us where we stand, hankering is over, but some vestiges of desire is left or desire itself is over. Or we have learnt to use that desire in the service of the lord. True vaishnava doesnt hate anything he gets nor hankers for what he didnt get. THat brings us to another soul food - 

Bg. 5.3

ज्ञेय: स नित्यसन्न्यासी यो न द्वेष्टि न काङ्‍क्षति ।
              निर्द्वन्द्वो हि महाबाहो सुखं बन्धात्प्रमुच्यते ॥ ३ ॥

One who neither hates nor desires the fruits of his activities is known to be always renounced. Such a person, free from all dualities, easily overcomes material bondage and is completely liberated, O mighty-armed Arjuna.

Please go ahead and do the studies. Best of luck.

Haribol,
              Your servant,
              Radha Rasamayi DD
              • Hare Krishna Mata ji,

Really an eye opening mail. Thank you for giving me a timely advice. Thanks for you good wishes.

Haribol

• Hare Krishna Mataji
          It is a difficult question!
          I will try to answer from my experience.
          I'm a bodybuilder. I used to say to others earlier when I was working out really hard that contentment is good but not if you want to advance or transform your self. You have to constantly look for new ways to motivate yourself and hit those muscles harder during a workout. The same is true for almost anything. If you are satisfied with your salary then you cannot become a billionaire. Alexander the Great was the king of Macedonia but he went out to conquer the world because he wasn't satisfied with what he had. The basic principle is greed only. If one is greedy to enter the pastimes of Krsna for more and more service or experience more and more bliss then is that kind of greed(lobh) bad? Ofcourse not because here even greed is being utilized for advancement of devotional service. That means we have to set our priority right so that we don't waste our energy and efforts in vain pursuits. If Krsna is our topmost priority then things will automatically fall in place or else one may become a great man and may receive adoration in human society but it will all be forgotten or taken away in time.
          Hari Bol

This reply was deleted.