Haribol!I have been Krishna consciousness for some years now. My relatives were my first exposure to Krishna devotees and that was when I got to know that vegetarian people exist in this world. I am an Indian but not an Indian national so my knowledge about diet and religion was just that much at 9 years old of age.I was about 13 years old when I started reading the Gita because I had no friends in school. I was frustrated about life and I was curious about the path of devotion my relatives had taken up and the reading was in search for the answer I was seeking for. I was reading an online though.At that time, I didn't know that we had the Bhagavad Gita As it Is at home. When I knew that I had it at home, I read the hard copy book instead of going online.But the thing is, the Bhagavad Gita belongs to my uncle who lent it to my father who never actually read it much. It so happened that my father never returned the book and my uncle never tried retrieving it from my father, and it laid there untouched, all dusty, on our showcase.As I started reading the Bhagavad Gita, I developed an attachment towards the scripture and towards this particular copy. I find it difficult to let it go off of my possession.Sometimes I feel that I should return that copy of Bhagavad Gita to my uncle. He is not a devotee. It did cross my mind that only if he had it in his possession, maybe he would have gone through a life-changing realisation and would have become a devotee. At the same time, I am afraid to give the book back to him in fear that the Bhagavad Gita would not get the respect and treatment it deserves in the hands of the copy's old master.What should I do? That was the copy of Bhagavad Gita which changed my life and influenced my sister to change herself too. I am indebted to that particular Bhagavad Gita copy. Should I let it go? Should I give it back to my uncle?Please guide me, oh Vaishnavas. I have no other shelter.Hare Krishna!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

I personally think that the 1st print(or copy of 1st print) unedited copy, though has some printing mistakes, definitely, has more potency, as you are only associating with Prabhupada. While the edited, copies, may be more literary and polished, you will have association of others who participated in editing the manuscript, who we know are not pure devotees (no offense meant, just a fact), unlike our Acharya, A.C Bhakti Vedanta Swami Prabhupada, who, on the strength of chanting of Pure Names of Krishna (Shudha Nam), has distributed the mercy of Caitanya Mahaprabhu all over the world.

My advice:

1. Buy a copy of original 1972 copy of Bhagavad Gita (Hard bound, Krishna holding Counch Shell, not whip), and give it to your uncle.

2. Investigate if the Bhagavad gita copy you have is original. If not, replace with the REAL "As It Is", copy of the first print.

Please come back and post here, if you found any difference in association of pure devotee, when you read the original.

• Hare Krishna
    PAMHO prabhuji.

Why don't you ask your uncle if he wants the book returned? Talk to him, maybe he even already has another copy of the Bhagavad Gita.
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Anusha mataji has given you right suggestion, though my personal opinion is - we should be attached to the teachings, not to that particular copy of the book. Still, if you are attached, then give them another copy.

Do not worry about Bhagavad Gita not getting respect in uncle's house. It was lying in your house also na when you decided to read it. Same way, just presence of Gita in a house is enough. Sometime or the other, it will awaken KRsna Consciousness in the minds of the residents of that house.

I would in fact encourage you to give them a copy of GIta - that is preaching in a way, isnt it?

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna,

Please accept my pranams.

Why don't you keep the copy of Bhagavad Gita which means so much to you since you are attached to that particular book. Meanwhile you can gift your uncle with a new copy of Bhagavad Gita. Hope he will be lucky enough to receive Krsna's mercy through you.
This reply was deleted.