What to ask of God/Krishna?

In my journey in learning about Krishna Consciousness I am starting to realise how devotees actually talk to God.

In my observation they do not appear to ask God for anything, only to be his humble servant.

In other religions one may pray to God to help a family member, or to help one get out of a difficult time, perhaps even pray for rain but I do not see this among devotees.

Is this a fair assumption?

Do devotees converse with God the same way I may talk to a dear friend? What should devotees ask of God/Krishna if anything at all?

Thanks in advance.

Hare Krishna!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ji Ji all glory to such a binnafishal question & dialog. So hear we see that much is being asked of the GodHead (s) for many different reasons from many different types of devoties & none are being "condemned by Krishna, however God is personally distinguishing the seeker of knowledge-of Him is by far Hi's faverd, seeker & a most intamit friend! The conclusion I gleen therefore, is the complete renunciation of all materiely based inquiry(s) is not' to be condimed but yet is not the quickest nore the most effective ways to please nor to an understanding of Who & What God's *eternal relationship is with Hi's creation(s)! i.e
    The path of Darma-devotion- as an eternal-daily-duty/or obligation, as well as the most affective & efficient prosess of aquiering real-knoledge of the eternal truths. Such as -
    Krishna compairs to the Sun* & it's Shine.
    As the rest of the Galaxies creations have a Simbeonic relationship with it's Rays, in that to the extant that we have exposure to it's rays we/are being nertured. And in short-order we all would Parrish without this Sun's direct exposure. In the Same way "The hole of the Materreal & Spiritual Creations have a(Simbionic dependence upon Krishna's all pervasive internal potancies.
    And by this methud all of the Suns of all the Gallicies, are being sastained and both the physical/material & subtal/Spiritual creations are being nurtuered and maintained. & withOut Hi's Personal attentions & faver nothing anywhere can exzist not even for a moment! It is said* that Krishna's relationship with the/Hi's creation(s) is similar or the same-as the images immonating from a projector-device, we can not exzist, not even for a moment with out Hi's Amazing Grace! So actually, nothing nore anyone can exzist without ThecGod Krishna's immeasurable blessing.
  • Thank you to all who responded.

Sorry if the question caused a bit of a stir. It was not my intention of course.

Yes Neophyte by name (well...avatar, real name Paul) and by position in KC. Before attending a Govinda's this year I hadn't really heard any thing about ISKCON except for what everybody else probably thinks outside and that is they just chant Hare Krishna. (An outsiders view of course).

From sitting in that Govinda's restaurant the kind gentlemen invited me to the Festival of Chariots and because I have a real appreciation for Indian Culture and music and decided to come along. I loved the festival and wanted to find out more. Everybody was so wonderful. I also picked up some great books on Vegetarianism.

I then found out about the Sunday Feast and started attending when I could. We call it the Sacred Sound Session and I learnt to chant Hare Krishna for the first time. 

I then changed my diet to vegetarian (since about 1 month now) after doing more reading.

Then I found this website and have been learning more still.

There is no temple near my home so all I can do is use the website, attend the Sunday Feast when I can and ready Srila Prabupada's books at work and at home.

So when I say Neophyte I am not kidding lol!

But you guys are great for taking the time to respond to this important question and I thank you.

Hare Krishna!

• hare krishna prabhu

the different kinds of devotees are mentioned as : 

Bg 7.16 — O best among the Bhāratas, four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto Me – the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and he who is searching for knowledge of the Absolute.

Bg 7.17 — Of these, the one who is in full knowledge and who is always engaged in pure devotional service is the best. For I am very dear to him, and he is dear to Me.

Bg 7.18 — All these devotees are undoubtedly magnanimous souls, but he who is situated in knowledge of Me I consider to be just like My own self. Being engaged in My transcendental service, he is sure to attain Me, the highest and most perfect goal.

Bg 7.19 — After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.

please read srila prabhupad's purports of above verses. that will explain things very nicely. 

pamho

Bg 7.16
    Unlike the miscreants, these are adherents of the regulative principles of the scriptures, and they are called su-kṛtinaḥ, or those who obey the rule…
  • Volunteer

Hare krsna,

What to ask of God/Krishna?

Nothing other than one-pointed devotion to Him.

All glories to Srila Prabhupad!!

Hare krsna.

• Wow thank you Gayatri. Thank you to all who answered.

Some very helpful words of wisdom there. I particularly like the analogy of the Tree and its leaves :)

You are all so very kind to take the time to explain these things to this neophyte on his path to discovery.

Thank you. Hare Krishna.

• Ask for good health and good wealth. Without these two kc is not possible.

• Volunteer

If I had the permission to delete this response, I would.

Prabhuji, please refrain from giving such advice which Srila Prabhupad would be very unhappy to hear.

Prabhupad went through bad health and without wealth and depended entirely and ONLY on krsna. Look at what Prabhupad gave to the world.

• You are directly jumping to the highest level of sp. When someone says that he is a neophyte then how can you tell him to take up sanyasa?? It is just like telling a 1st standard student to write engineering exams. Nothing wrong with my comment.

• Volunteer

Hare krsna,

Prabhuji, let the person whom you refer as "neophyte" decide himself whether he wants to ask krsna for health and wealth or krsna bhakthi.

All glories to Srila Prabhupad.

• I REPEAT HE HIMSELF HAS KEPT HIS NAME AS NEOPHYTE. I THINK HIS NAME IS PAUL.

MAY SURRENDERING TO KRISHNA BE A TOTAL CHILDS PLAY FOR HIM. 

This reply was deleted.