What is the best way to execute "smaranam" process ?

Hare Krishna !!

In a day, there are many 5 minute slots appear, in between our work, where we feel, "let's stop the work and relax for 5-10 minutes". And specially during these, mind drags us to some unwanted direction/activities. Now how can we utilise such short free times where we can relax as well as connect to Krsna ? What is the best way to execute "smaranam" process - what to think of ? 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna! Dandavat Pranam!

Please read this blog Prabhu (if not done already), the essence of the blog is given below for quick reference. 

http://www.iskcondesiretree.com/profiles/blogs/a-taste-for-reading-...

I think the main reason why people give up relishing the Bhagavatam is that they only know and apply the first step of this process: collecting information. Only reading or hearing the Bhagavatam in this way can be compared to just bringing food in front of the mouth, but not eating it – this will never nourish you.

Following this analogy, reflecting on what you have heard is like chewing the food. At this stage the body is already somewhat nourished through the vitamins it draws through the mouth. However, going through the third step, nididhyasan, contemplating how you can apply what you have heard and then applying it, can be compared to swallowing and digesting the food and being fully nourished by it. In other words, only hearing a sacred text is not enough engagement with it. You will remain ‘hungry’ and look for your ‘food’ somewhere else.

Adiyen feels, 'looking for food somewhere else' is what Prabhu is highlighting in the question as 'mind's drag to unwanted things'.

Sarvam Krishnaarpanam!

• Thanks a lot for your mercy. I will read the blog, thanks for sharing. And regarding 3 processes (3rd appears to be difficult for me ! ) - May Lord blesses with the needed intelligence to apply them. I will make a note to bring them into practice. I do see ray of hope through them. 

- Hare Krishna.

• Radhe Radhe Prakash ji

Very nice thought. This shows your attachment to Krishna.

"Je krishna bhaje , se boro chatur" (one who chants Krishna is very clever) and hence you want to make the most utilization of the time we waste.

The Gaudiya Vaishnavism is the best school of Philosophy and supports us in the same thought you expresseed. Our Prem Siddhanta Acharya Srila Narottam Das Thakur, says "Smarane bhavibe jaha Siddha Dehe paibe taha" (what ever we practice in our Smaran we will get that only in our Siddha Deha (transcendental body))

Our different Acharyas have regularized the Ashta kalin leela smaran -8 time doing the exercise you had expressed. about the different time of day based leela of Gauranga and Govinda.

The best knowledge of the same can be found from the scripture Gaur Govinda Leelamrita Gutika.

I hope I am able to reply to your query.

Your servant

Satyananda Das

• Thank you for this great information. I will read more on this. Hope by God's grace I too can take shelter of it slowly.

• Hare Krsna,     

There are variety of ways one can execute this. I suggest perhaps hearing Srimad Bhagavatam online, or Nectar of Devotion. Many lectures are available on YouTube by HDG Srila Prabhupada. Especially if limited on time, they are short and effective and can help focus while working or taking a break. Devotional bhajans can be heard as well, as well as associating with devotees as one mataji suggested. Anything that aids us in our remembrance of Krsna can greatly enhance our spiritual life even when we are busy. Hope I answered your inquiry.

yrs,

Tamal Krsna

• Thanks a lot Prabhuji.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

The best way to execute the "smaranam process" is to chant attentively. When we chant our rounds properly, automatically, we are in the mood to remember KRsna.

What I have seen people do is - they will keep some small books with them in their office drawer, and read in this 5 min break. Depends on what is the interest of the sadhaka - some like to read, some to listen, some to associate....

So if reading is your preference, you can keep small books with you and read one page whenever you have time.

If listening is your preference, then it gets a little difficult in office. Maybe you could keep mahamantra on phone and listen on headphones. 

If association is your interest, then maybe come to a forum like this, read and/ or discuss online.

Lunchtime, make it a point to eat within 10 min and spend the rest of the time reading, or chanting or listening to lectures. 

Everything is possible if the desire is there prabhuji.

You could also speak with devotees over phone or on whatsapp, giving or taking association, depending on your situation. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thanks for the beautiful advice and inspiration. I need to bring in more discipline and attentiveness in my doings.

• One can engage eyes, ears, hands, etc. in the service,  but as long as mind do not serve, that long the goal would not be achieved. 

One need to learn correctly how to focus the mind on Lord by strictly following one of processes revealed in scriptures :

SB 3.28: Kapila’s Instructions on the Execution of Devotional Service

• Thank you Prabhu for the great advice. 

This reply was deleted.