What is Pure Love?

Hare krsna! My dandvata pranam to all devotees. I am eager to know, what is pure love? I think it is undefinable, how can we start loving lord? do lover of lordd get mercy of lord as it is benefited by a devotee? what is the difference between love and devotion?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna _/\_,

## Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says - not one person is dear in this world, but what is dear is that condition which is imagined to be present after the possession of that object or that relationship. We love our husband, wife or children not because they are our husband, wife or children but because we see their Self and our Self harmonize. When we harmonize other persons or objects with our own Inner Self, there is happiness. Yajnavalkya says, "for the desire of the Infinite, everything appears to be desirable. We will be surprised to realise that everything is connected to everything else in such a way that nothing can be known unless everything is known."

Also, below information are from Acharya Shrestha Srila Prabhupada's teachings:

## When we cannot tolerate separation from Govinda, that is pure, causeless love of God.

Lord Sri Caitanya describes love of God in His Siksastaka (7) - "O my dear Govinda! Because I cannot see You, every moment seems like twelve years to Me."

Everyone has some experience of this feeling. If we love someone and we expect our beloved to come at any moment, we will feel as if every second were a full day. Because Lord Caitanya cannot see Krsna, He says, "Tears are pouring from My eyes like torrents of rain," and "I see the whole world as vacant." and all on account of separation from Govinda. When we cannot tolerate separation from Govinda, that is pure, causeless love of God.

## When we cultivate six kinds of loving exchanges with Krsna, we develop pure love of God.

The six signs of love Rupa Gosvami describes in his Upadesamrta (4):

First, we must give something to our beloved and accept something from our beloved. If we simply go on accepting but we do not give anything, then there is no love. Then we should not keep anything secret within our mind, and our beloved should not keep anything secret within his or her mind. One should give the beloved eatables and accept eatables from him or her. And that love should be without any material motivation and without impediment.

## Srimad-Bhagavatam states that love of God must be ahaituki, free of selfish motivation.

Not that we say "My dear Krsna, I am in difficulty. Please get me out of it," or "I am in need of some money. Kindly give me a million dollars." This is not love of God. He may be counted among pious men because he recognizes the supremacy of God, but he has not developed the highest principle of religion, love of God.

## The next word used in the Srimad-Bhagavatam to describe pure love of God is apratihata, which means "without being hampered for any reason."

To love Krsna we don't require any material acquisition. We can begin developing our love of Krsna simply by bringing some fruit or a flower and offering it to the Deity form of Krsna. That is one of the six signs of love described by Rupa Gosvami.

## Lastly :

CC Madhya 22.107 — Pure love for Kṛṣṇa is eternally established in the hearts of the living entities. It is not something to be gained from another source. When the heart is purified by hearing and chanting, this love naturally awakens.

Not only is the chanter of the maha-mantra purified, but the heart of anyone who happens to hear the transcendental vibration of Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare is also cleansed. Even the souls embodied in lower animals, insects, trees and other species of life also become purified and prepared to become fully Krsna conscious simply by hearing the transcendental vibration.

- Jai Shri Yashoda-Nandana !! Jai Bhakt Prahlad ki Jai !!

CC Madhya 22.107
    CC Madhya 22.107
  • Sevak

Hare Krsna 

What is pure love? I think it is undefinable.

Pure love or Prema is the is the topmost stage of Bhakti or devotional service unto the Supreme personality of Godhead - Sri Krishna. Anything which is an experience cannot be defined completely by words,without referring to another experience. How can we define sweet ? it is not possible without referring to something sweet like honey or sugar etc. But Srila Rupa Goswami has given definition of Pure devotion as below 

anyabhilasita-sunyam jnana-karmady-anavrtam
    anukulyena krsnanusilanam bhaktir uttama

One should render transcendental loving service to the Supreme Lord Kṛṣṇa favorably and without desire for material profit or gain through fruitive activities or philosophical speculation. That is called pure devotional service. (Purport SB8.17.2-3)

Pure love or prema is the highest stage of love. Lord Chaitanya has also given this verse which indicates the intensity, depth of pure love for Krishna

ashlishya va pada-ratam pinashtu mam
    adarshanan marma-hatam karotu va
    yatha tatha va vidadhatu lampato
    mat-prana-nathas tu sa eva naparaha
    I know no one but Krishna as my Lord, and He shall remain so even if He handles me roughly by His embrace or makes me brokenhearted by not being present before me. He is completely free to do anything and everything, for He is always my worshipful Lord, unconditionally. (Shikshastakam 8)

How can we start loving lord?

Loving lord is not an activity like drinking milk. Love is a stage of devotion. It has to be attained.

How/Where  to start our attainment of love for Krsna ?

By hearing about Lord Krsna from devotees and rendering service to Lord Krsna / devotees of Krsna.

Do lover of lord get mercy of lord as it is benefited by a devotee?

Yes. Lovers of lord are also devotees of lord.In fact they are the topmost devotees of lord.

What is the difference between love and devotion?

Devotion has nine stages. Love is the topmost stage of devotion. 

Hare Krsna

lord.in
    This website is not yet developed.
    • dhanevd prabhuji

hare krsna

satisfactory answer

• nice answer mataji. dhanevad 

• thank you mataji. 

• My humble obeisance Mataji.

You have  asked a good question. Yes pure love is undefinable different people describe it in different points of view, and it's quite difficult to define it and to understand. But I think when one completely surrenders to lord completely by every mean (by body, by soul, by emotion by mentality) don't want any desire to be fulfilled just want to please lord in anyway what ever circumstances or situation there be is a pure love. In short being getting crazy for lord.

Shrimati Radharani is a great example  herself of purest selfless love for Krishna. we can take her shelter if we really want to progress in Krishna Prema. 

One can initially cultivate a seed of love for lord by listening about him, more we listen about his transcendental katha the more we will be attracted toward Krishna. and then we can engage our sense in pleasing lord. Gradually by the mercy of lord we can stand on a highest step of prema for krishna. Getting completely surrendered to lotus feet of lord is the key.

Hare krishna

Radhay Radhay

Servant: Narayan Das

• thank you prabhu ji, hare krsna

This reply was deleted.