What if medicine causes intoxication?

Hare Krsna,

With medical marijuana gaining popularity in the world I have been wondering how to view it with people using it to help with things such as ptsd and anxiety. How does a vaishnava view medicine that also intoxicates not limited to marijuana but any kind? I find myself wanting to use it but am not sure if it is because of the potential benefits or because I am just making excuses for sense gratification. Should it be looked at as just another form of sense gratification?

Thank you,

Anthony

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Prabhu ji,

Marijuana and its use in the treatment of PTSD and Anxiety is only a palliative care. It is not a permanent cure.  Palliative means a temporary treatment for subsiding immediate symptoms.  The result in many cases is the person get addicted to the use of temporary relief and starts to abuse the substance. In some cases the substance can cause side effects and many other complications. The person becomes too much addicted to sudden changes in his elevated moods that he becomes addicted this is another cause of social concern. Drug addicts are shunned by family and lose respect in society and then later loss of job or divorces many other conditions will crop in. . you become so addicted you will do stealing, you do other illegal activities to procure the drug and if the drug is not available you become a slave to the drug and do all bad karmas. 

Any substance used as temporary measure to cope of an emotional stressful condition become an addiction in future. That is why it use is very limited. 

It is important to learn other healthy ways of managing emotions and stressful conditions. In doing so, there may be less of a need to use substances as a way of coping.

Yoga, Hypnosis and Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Listening to soothing music... and healthy eating habits and attending classes on personality development, Stress -Management workshops,  travelling and visiting new places change in the atmosphere and ......last but not the least and best among all treatments  is becoming Krishna Conscious and getting into a routine habit of a CHANTING MAHAMANTRA  can bring a lot of change..

Learning that all are souls and all are part and parcel of Sri Krishna.. Trying to see Krishna in all. Falling in love with Krishna is best treatment for all kinds of depressions, anxieties and post traumatic stressful conditions.

You know our Krishna is smiling.. looking at HIS SMILING FACE ONLY ALL STRESS IS GONE IN A JIFFY. Lord's feet is the sole source of all happiness and bliss. Feeling Him inside ur heart fills you with Bliss.  Lord is so sweet so sweet...Every problem ends at his mere glance. Why is there need for any stupid drug.  Only fools go after temporary treatments when the permanent solution is with Krishna.

HIS DIVINE GRACE SRILA PRABhUPADA out of lot of compassion for others' sufferings brought back all the hippes and drug addicts to Krishna consciousness and saved so many people's lives. 

My advice is never fall for temporary things which give immediate relief and long term problems.

If it is very strictly prescribed by Doctor and you are taking under full medical supervision then  you may take it but again it is surely going make you addicted to that. 

Now it is in your hands what you want to chose..  Choose wisely.

It is like a person unable to cope up the summer heat, wanted to rest for a while and  sat under the shade of a coconut tree and a big coconut fell on his head.  This is like this.

Hare Krishna.

• Thank you for your reply. I agree with you almost 100%. My only question is even though it is only a temporary fix and not the permanent solution that is Krsna consciousness, is it ok to use it as such? Like when someone wears a cast it is not permanent but only to get them safely through the worst portion of their injury. Thank you again.

Hare Krsna

• In worst cases,..

If it is very strictly prescribed by Doctor and you are taking under full medical supervision then  you may take it but again it is surely going make you addicted to that.  as I have already pointed.

That is why doctors also even while treating the case with such intoxicants side by side always give supportive counselling sessions and advice you natural means like eating healthy, changing places, listening to some soothing music and going to personality development and stress management classes and refer you to alternative therapies to find what suits you better.

Hare Krishna.

• I think you are right and that is my main worry. I don't want anything to distract my mind from Krsna. I appreciate your advice.

Hare Krsna

• It is always better to find out the root cause of the sickness/anxiety/ stress. If it is related to some traumatic experience which you cannot forget you can try Hypnosis.  Yoga and holistic medicines are worth trying and have been very successful in treating such cases. 

HK

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Medical use of marijuana is not sense gratification. Misuse of the medical use, where the person is using marijuana for its intoxicating trait, is sense gratification. So better to take under supervision of doctor, as prescribed by one, instead of self medication.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you for your reply. I am always worried that if something is even a little intoxicating even if used properly it is a cause of bondage.

Hare Krsna

This reply was deleted.