Varieties of Religion

Hi,

I have a question regarding 18.66 Verse in Bhagavad -gita.

https://vedabase.io/en/library/bg/18/66/

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

--

Ok so to m understanding this means many things probably. First and formost surrender to Guru which is pretty obvious!

But I dont understand the 'Varieties of Religion' part. What does this mean exactly, I am thinking what Varieties of Religion?!

I thought religion is very important, but Krishna says 'Abandon'.

I am asking more so for discussion, Prabhupada says clearly about Varieties of Religion in the purport. BUT I am still a 

little bit confuced on the matter not sure why. Seems like an important verse though! So....

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna,
    Read the purport of Srila prabhupada frist two lines..
    "The Lord has described various kinds of knowledge, processes of religion, knowledge of the Supreme Brahman, knowledge of the Supersoul, knowledge of the different types of orders and statuses of social life, knowledge of the renounced order of life, knowledge of nonattachment, sense and mind control, meditation, etc. He has described in so many ways different types of religion.''
    It is evident clearly what Lord is saying about when He says abondon all varieties of religion.
    He asked you to leave all those other religious activities.. Like yoga ,, dhyana, tapas, renouncing all worldly pleasures going to jungles.., types social orders.. like brahmacharya, dharma. Grihastha dharma, vanaprastha dharma.. etc etc. , mind control meditations techniques., leave all procedures.....though He describes all types can lead to Him but Easiest way he prescribes towards the end of the Bhagvad gita in 18.66 is to Hold his feet. Completely surrender to Him.
    See.. This is said to Arjuna.. Becoz Arjuna was fearing to kill his own grand father, his own brothers his own guru so Lord said don't fear anything just do what I say.. just do you Swadharma. Leave all other dharmas..
    What dharmas??
    dharma of son... towards dhritarashtra
    dharma of a brother towards kaurava cousins
    dharma of shishya towards a teacher.
    dharma of a grandson towards pitamah bhishma.
    and other dharmas which is holding with various people in the war
    and asked to forget about everyone Just do what I say.. Just surrender unto Me. DO NOT FEAR.. I will see that you are delivered out of sins.
    He only said to follow his swadharma..
    What is swadharma?
    That is the dharma of the kShetriya.. to stand by the truth and fight for justice Not thinking of any results completely surrendering to Lord.
    Hare Krishna
    • thanks i appreciate this post. But we cant really surrender can we? we have to go through some process. I have said many times to Krishna I Surrender! But nothing really happened). But I like what you said after Srila Prabhupada purport, given good explanation.
      • Saranagati- Six-fold path of Surrender to Krishna by HG Vaisesika Dasa, 01.30.19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu_DPQ-b5vE
      • E-Counselor
        Hare KRsna PRabhuji,

PAMHO.

Of course we can surrender. While you are saying to Their Lordships that you want to surrender, also say, I don't know how to - please teach me. The process of surrender is mentioned in the purport to this verse by SP. The 6 stages of surrender - anukulyena...pratikulasya varjanam.....please read. There are bhajans by Bhakti Vonode Thakur on sharanagati - you could sing those and read the meaning also.
        Surrender is a journey, not a destination. Therefore Krsna says in the Gita - ye yatha maam prapadyante......according to the level of surrender of the jivatma, I give them results.
        Be patient, be perseverant, be sincere. Surrender will happen.
        Haribol,
        Your servant,
        Radha Rasamayi DD
This reply was deleted.